Author Topic: Mark Suciu enjoys blatant displays of wealth inequality and Adidas loves it  (Read 24647 times)

conqueso

Re: Mark Suciu enjoys blatant displays of wealth inequality and Adidas loves it
« Reply #120 on: January 02, 2022, 07:03:35 AM »
kalis woulda done it w style tho

no need for theatrics

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #121 on: January 02, 2022, 07:14:36 AM »
Can't believe you morons got it taken down. This place is a cesspit.

I think you might be overestimating the reach of Slap. There were comments about it on the IG and some of the losers on "#skatetwitter" were weighing in. This place isn't the whole world of skateboarding and skateboard commentary.

That said, it's completely obvious that there are a lot of people who seem very eager to drag down Suciu, so a boilerplate photo which could have appeared at any time during the past ~30 years becomes the flimsiest pretext for a lot of performative outrage from terminally online skate dorks.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

SR ACF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -291
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #122 on: January 02, 2022, 07:31:43 AM »
Y'all are goddamn hypocrites for arguing the 'Street angle', as if running into all kinds of people during a skate sesh is the same as making them the front row reason why your photo becomes an ad for a multibillion corporate giant. The only reason this forum is relevant are the people who made Slap an actual correctional institution in the industry that can check people for shitty behaviour. Literally no one in this thread is acting like this is on a level with Nyjah allegations etc. but Suciu, as much as I love him, deserved a slap on the wrist for this and IMO he deserves another one for just taking down his post instead of giving an honest reaction. Further cements the assumption he didn't get those people paid and might just be an entitled little whiteboy litbro instead of the considerate polymath whe wanted him to be.

Honestly judging from who is taking which angle on here, big positive rep looks like an honour badge for conservative downplaying condescending anti-progress clowns. Kinda like the 40+ guy at the park with a Chocolate board and a Dime beanie who does 5 K-grinds, 2 Nose Manuals and 6 Nollie Flips, barking and eye rolling at every kid getting in his way, then sits down to roll up and enshroud himself in a weed cloud from which emanates a steady murmur of how skateboarding once was real and street and blabla but somehow you always run into him at the park and never at the actual street spots.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 07:43:34 AM by SR ACF »

Mariatorresflores

• Rep: -94
« Reply #123 on: January 02, 2022, 07:35:37 AM »
Threads like this are why God doesn't talk to us anymore.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -768
« Reply #124 on: January 02, 2022, 07:40:14 AM »
Y'all are goddamn hypocrites for arguing the 'Street angle', as if running into all kinds of people during a skate sesh is the same as making them the front row reason why your photo becomes an ad for a multibillion corporate giant. The only reason this forum is relevant are the people who made Slap an actual correctional institution in the industry that can check people for shitty behaviour. Literally no one in this thread is acting like this is on a level with Nyjah allegations etc. but Suciu, as much as I love him, deserved a slap on the wrist for this and IMO he deserves another one for just taking down his post instead of giving an honest reaction. Further cements the assumption he didn't get those people paid and might just be an entitled little whiteboy litbro instead of the considerate polymath whe wanted him to be.

Are you actually genuine?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #125 on: January 02, 2022, 07:56:14 AM »

Honestly judging from who is taking which angle on here, big positive rep looks like an honour badge for conservative downplaying condescending anti-progress clowns. Kinda like the 40+ guy at the park with a Chocolate board and a Dime beanie who does 5 K-grinds, 2 Nose Manuals and 6 Nollie Flips, barking and eye rolling at every kid getting in his way, then sits down to roll up and enshroud himself in a weed cloud from which emanates a steady murmur of how skateboarding once was real and street and blabla but somehow you always run into him at the park and never at the actual street spots.

This

I remember  years back when  I was shooting streets photos and was a homeless in there. I give him some cash because his image was in my photo.  I did it because I know the code of the streets, like GURU..

xrossings

• Rep: 61
« Reply #126 on: January 02, 2022, 07:58:00 AM »
i saw this ad in the latest issue of slam and i didnt even notice the people when i first looked at it

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #127 on: January 02, 2022, 07:59:01 AM »
Can't believe you morons got it taken down. This place is a cesspit.

Pretty sure twitter reaction got it taken down. If adidas ever payed attention to slap, Pete Eldridge would still be around.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1493
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #128 on: January 02, 2022, 08:04:58 AM »
Why are you just automatically assuming these black people are homeless? I sure hope people don't make that assumption because I'm hanging out on my stoop.

There are more white homeless than black.

Shame on OP

https://www.statista.com/statistics/555855/number-of-homeless-people-in-the-us-by-race/

OwlGreen

• Rep: -127
« Reply #129 on: January 02, 2022, 08:05:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Did someone screenshot it? They took it down. I want to see what the fuss is about.
[close]

This is the photo. I can't find it, but the Instagram post had a different angle.

These people don't seem to be enjoying themselves. It's difficult to image a set of circumstances by which this photo would be cool, given the looks on their faces. If they were given anything less than $1K, then this shit is wack. Mark is to blame, but the photographer even moreso. Who took it? Reminds me a bit of how Mark ran through the middle of that group, self cheering, at Lennox after doing his little nollie back heel namesake scraper.

Ambient Johnny

• Rep: -14
« Reply #130 on: January 02, 2022, 08:06:56 AM »
SR ACF, you must have some considerable personal problems in your life for you to be this invested in shitting on people online for complete non-issues like this. You probably don't even realise what you are doing and think you're on some virtuous crusade which will usher in a new golden age of well-being and equality, but in reality you are just being insufferable.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -768
« Reply #131 on: January 02, 2022, 08:11:38 AM »
SR ACF, you must have some considerable personal problems in your life for you to be this invested in shitting on people online for complete non-issues like this. You probably don't even realise what you are doing and think you're on some virtuous crusade which will usher in a new golden age of well-being and equality, but in reality you are just being insufferable.

He has started a few other out right damaging dumb as hell threads too.

That's why I was asking if he was genuine. Has to be a troll.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #132 on: January 02, 2022, 08:15:21 AM »
You know people are good people when they tell you about the good things they do and how good of a person they are.

“Hey I caught you in this photo and I feel bad for you; Here’s some money.”

(this one does seems like they tried fitting them into the photo)

Maybe just give money to homeless people anyways if you have some extra?

Maybe sit and talk to them like they’re HUMANS?(and you don’t need to film it)

Also, do we know they’re homeless or is this just based off of appearance?

Mariatorresflores

• Rep: -94
« Reply #133 on: January 02, 2022, 08:18:02 AM »
From the ad angle you can clearly see Mark's knowingly putting himself closer than 6 ft from these folks by grinding the rail. WTF Mark? No masks on anyone either? Cancel the lot of 'em!

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #134 on: January 02, 2022, 08:22:38 AM »
From the ad angle you can clearly see Mark's knowingly putting himself closer than 6 ft from these folks by grinding the rail. WTF Mark? No masks on anyone either? Cancel the lot of 'em!

The only honourable thing left for Mark to do now is to give up his SOTY award and try again this year.

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -3
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #135 on: January 02, 2022, 08:23:14 AM »
This feels like such false outrage for the sake of it. As a leftist, leftist and liberals are the most annoying people.

Skate ads have always included the setting and people around them to show skating is part of the city’s environment. The people in the pic should be compensated, who’s to say how much, but I doubt those people really give a shit either way.

This reminds me when everyone shit their pants about Tyshawn and that guy just to find out they were homies.

fongool

• Rep: 94
« Reply #136 on: January 02, 2022, 08:33:00 AM »

the social workers in this thread have also somehow determined that they are "drug addicts" "nodding out" "in the projects"

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #137 on: January 02, 2022, 08:42:20 AM »
This feels like such false outrage for the sake of it.

Exactly. No one really cares, they're not actually angry, and if they are, they are angry at themselves. Everyone is just eager to take Suciu down a peg, and people have a good angle here because he's a wealthy white kid and they assume any black person in a public space is homeless.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

quackquack

• Rep: -421
« Reply #138 on: January 02, 2022, 08:44:46 AM »
Everyone should just chill - Adidas plants a staircase for every pair of Suciu's purchased.
Oh, the places you'll go.

Pretty Serious

« Reply #139 on: January 02, 2022, 08:45:06 AM »
Slap on fake outrage as usual.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #140 on: January 02, 2022, 08:46:28 AM »
its an add for skate shoes, and that trick puts the shoe right in prime view. The photo for the ad thats in the mag, you cant see the guys face, so legally speaking i dont think he needs to be paid for that. Giving them some cash from their pockets to help out would have been cool, but who says they didnt do that, we dont know. the day rate for a movie extra is $100-200 so paying him 1k for being in the shot sounds ridiculous to me.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #141 on: January 02, 2022, 08:49:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

the social workers in this thread have also somehow determined that they are "drug addicts" "nodding out" "in the projects"

Cleary opinions of someone who didnt see the video. The woman was cleary with mental issues....

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #142 on: January 02, 2022, 08:57:31 AM »
Not sure what’s more fun taking apart someone’s hot take or piling on a SOTY…..

Questioning skaters relationships with vulnerable people is not a bad thing……we don’t necessarily have the best track record….

OwlGreen

• Rep: -127
« Reply #143 on: January 02, 2022, 09:04:13 AM »
its an add for skate shoes, and that trick puts the shoe right in prime view. The photo for the ad thats in the mag, you cant see the guys face, so legally speaking i dont think he needs to be paid for that. Giving them some cash from their pockets to help out would have been cool, but who says they didnt do that, we dont know. the day rate for a movie extra is $100-200 so paying him 1k for being in the shot sounds ridiculous to me.

Who has a picture of the ad as it ran in mags and on company social media channels? Are either person's face in the ad? If so $1K for print buyouts would be on the low side.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
« Reply #144 on: January 02, 2022, 09:12:11 AM »
What if this is all being coordinated by Adidas as part of Mark’s new storyline as a heel? Think about that.

WavyDavy

• Rep: 125
« Reply #145 on: January 02, 2022, 09:18:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

In the deleted video it was clear that the woman sitting on the stairs was rocking back and forth while clutching herself. Maybe it was something drug related, maybe some kind of panic Attack. She definitely needed some at this point. The decision to film a trick next to her was really bad taste.
Yeah, skateboarding is edgy and from the streets, especially adidas and mark, but have some respect and don't act like portraying social issues in this way is helping anyhow.

Questioning skaters relationships with vulnerable people is not a bad thing……we don’t necessarily have the best track record….

Honestly I wasnt expecting something like this from mark. Also deleting this post for damage control instead of addressing it is not the right way of handling this in my opinion. Having an IG account posting all the books you read doesn't make you smart
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 09:35:19 AM by WavyDavy »

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #146 on: January 02, 2022, 09:23:26 AM »
We could also always make this
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

fongool

• Rep: 94
« Reply #147 on: January 02, 2022, 09:30:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

In the deleted video it was clear that the woman sitting on the stairs was rocking back and forth while clutching herself. Maybe it was something drug related, maybe some kind of panic Attack. She definitely needed some at this point. The decision to film a trick next to her was really bad taste.
Yeah, skateboarding is edgy and from the streets, especially adidas and mark, but have some respect and don't act like portraying social issues in this way is helping anyhow.

maybe she was listening to the new Nak/JR Blastoff/Sage song in her Airpods

WavyDavy

• Rep: 125
« Reply #148 on: January 02, 2022, 09:37:43 AM »
maybe she was listening to the new Nak/JR Blastoff/Sage song in her Airpods

Or Beirut

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #149 on: January 02, 2022, 09:40:14 AM »
These people in the photo aren't being compensated for shit, they're out in public, it's all fair use. They're not models or anyone recognizable figures in the world, and there's no sign off needed for them in this photo. I'll say it again. You guys are literally fucking fried.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.