Author Topic: Colored Trucks/Wheels  (Read 10623 times)

bobjohn

Re: Colored Trucks/Wheels
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2009, 02:01:04 AM »
They have to colour wheels to make them white. The urethane they make wheels out of is naturally beige colour.

It's turning pretty scary here with everyone swearing allegiance to the white wheel. Y'all gonna mount a lynch mob and head down to the nearest skate store to roun' up all dem coloured wheels?

I think I've only seen one set of "natural" colored wheels in my life.

This white wheels hysteria started in the '80s when manufacturers suggested that the pigments used to make colored wheels made them slower (such things were once discussed in TWS's short-lived technical column with professor Paul Schmitt). My first set of Black Vision Blurrs literally felt slower and softer to my friend's identical natural ones. I guess white is kind of similar to undyed urethane, so people have continued the delusion that white wheels are the fastest. By now there should be no difference in performance.

The black grip theory went the same way. At one time, black was the best performing griptape. Maybe Mr. Paradox can shed some light on this subject, but I'm pretty sure that if sandpaper, save for the really fine grit gray-ish stuff, normally comes in an earth red color, then maybe they have to add unnecessary pigments to make it black.

MexicanSpaniard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2009, 08:19:32 AM »
Expand Quote
They have to colour wheels to make them white. The urethane they make wheels out of is naturally beige colour.

It's turning pretty scary here with everyone swearing allegiance to the white wheel. Y'all gonna mount a lynch mob and head down to the nearest skate store to roun' up all dem coloured wheels?
[close]

I think I've only seen one set of "natural" colored wheels in my life.

This white wheels hysteria started in the '80s when manufacturers suggested that the pigments used to make colored wheels made them slower (such things were once discussed in TWS's short-lived technical column with professor Paul Schmitt). My first set of Black Vision Blurrs literally felt slower and softer to my friend's identical natural ones. I guess white is kind of similar to undyed urethane, so people have continued the delusion that white wheels are the fastest. By now there should be no difference in performance.

The black grip theory went the same way. At one time, black was the best performing griptape. Maybe Mr. Paradox can shed some light on this subject, but I'm pretty sure that if sandpaper, save for the really fine grit gray-ish stuff, normally comes in an earth red color, then maybe they have to add unnecessary pigments to make it black.

Goodness you've been skating for a long time.

Randozzi

« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2009, 08:29:53 AM »
silver Indys, white Spitfires
on occasion a set of orange ones.
had painted trucks, they were ok, nothing too lame about them.

eelbermston

• Rep: 8
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2009, 09:47:38 AM »
no thanks on the trucks. maybe once a year ill put some weird wheels on to laugh at myself...

Demolition Derby

« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2009, 09:55:32 AM »
A line makes it easier than looking to see what subtle size difference there is between nose and tail
I'll usually just put a sticker facing the tail side and check it out. Or use paradox grip to differentiate. Not!

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2009, 10:08:14 AM »
its funny when kids come in and ask for colored trucks so they can match their boards. 
i'm always like, it matches now but what happens when you get a new board? 

i prefer silver trucks and white wheels but on occassion i'll skate some colored wheels. 
i just killed a set of hi-fi tony manfre's which were light blue which makes me a kook i guess. 

RRRRRAD

« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2009, 11:21:33 AM »
i got some blue spitfires  :-\

Upgrayedd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 446
  • Fuck Tom Knox
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2009, 11:27:18 AM »
ive got some white/red swirl spits. i love colored wheels. dont know why.

Slap Gravitational Waveboarding Magazine:
"We can't do it yet, but when we can it'll be sick."
-grim

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1505
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2009, 11:31:47 AM »
silver and white, can't have it any other way. (and no graphics on wheels also)

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • S&H
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2009, 11:34:15 AM »
its funny when kids come in and ask for colored trucks so they can match their boards. 

i prefer silver trucks and white wheels but on occassion i'll skate some colored wheels. 
i just killed a set of hi-fi tony manfre's which were light blue which makes me a kook i guess. 

Light blue?

SanchoDave

« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2009, 12:45:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Light blue?

I bought some Omar Salazar Spitfire swirls...FUCKING EPIC!

FACE!

« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2009, 01:02:35 PM »
i guess i'm not a kook cuz these arent colored  ;D

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • S&H
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2009, 01:04:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Light blue?

[close]

I need more info on these light blue hi-fi's.

ALT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2009, 01:08:16 PM »
I'd prefer white wheels/silver trucks but with the current economic climate and having no job I just buy the shit on sale. atm I have a gold dipped blueprint board, full pale green thunders and very light green ricta boltz. It looks goofy but I don't give a shit its just a board.

The best was my friends board a few years ago, his mum went too New York and he asked her to get him a board while she was there. She came back with a pink 7.5 Greco hammer deck, Thunder highs with green base plates and yellow hangers, and some 56mm ricta vov's with green cores and yellow urethane.

SanchoDave

« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2009, 01:14:14 PM »
I'd prefer white wheels/silver trucks but with the current economic climate and having no job I just buy the shit on sale. atm I have a gold dipped blueprint board, full pale green thunders and very light green ricta boltz. It looks goofy but I don't give a shit its just a board.

The best was my friends board a few years ago, his mum went too New York and he asked her to get him a board while she was there. She came back with a pink 7.5 Greco hammer deck, Thunder highs with green base plates and yellow hangers, and some 56mm ricta vov's with green cores and yellow urethane.

that is not so epic....

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2213
  • computer says no
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2009, 04:02:07 PM »
At least it would be really hard to lose.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2009, 04:27:04 PM »
only kooks ride colored wheels and trucks, seriously like bros and shit who dont know whats up nah mean? silver and white:)

I think when people say "nah mean" they sound like kooks, but it is your right to say it and I don't judge ya for it. Live and let live :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 04:29:20 PM by vegan*shawn »

SanchoDave

« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2009, 04:28:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Light blue?

[close]

[close]
I need more info on these light blue hi-fi's.

they're the baby blue tuxedo of skateboarding wheels.

kevbo999

« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2009, 04:37:36 PM »

Haha, that sucks but I would never trust my mom to pick out a nice complete.  How long had buddy been skating?

I also prefer black grip/silver trucks/white wheels... but in these hard economics times, I've been forced to ride ugly white 129's.  At least they're Indy's.

ALT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Haha, that sucks but I would never trust my mom to pick out a nice complete.  How long had buddy been skating?

A few years, but he wasn't the brightest spark. Once his back kingpin snapped and he didnt know how to get the broken bit out of his base plate. So he just got an old red tensor base plate and put that on with the yellow hanger from the thunders. His board was noticeably lower at the back.

snickers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -362
  • do you think this is a game?
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2009, 11:35:21 PM »
i really couldnt give a flying fuck what color my trucks and wheels are. as long as the trucks are indy 149s and the wheels are 53mms spitfire bigheads, i don't care. dipped boards don't bother me either, as long as it gets the job done.
fatcockXL deserves to be mod on the strength of his name alone

Egon Spangler

• Rep: -8
  • Doe, Ray, EGON!
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2009, 09:39:38 AM »
i cant do colors. trucks need to be silver and wheels must be white. although i could make an exception for these 
AX THROWERS

CaptainMorganFreeman

• Rep: 46
    • proskates.com avatar image
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2009, 08:38:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Colored grip sucks, but when people get crazy with the cut outs and paint pens it can be pretty fucking cool. Or it can be lame, depending on who is doing it
[close]
'8.25...like riding a buick' <yeah be a dick and let everyone know your board is too big for you

Man I used to love my 88 buick regal, and I skate 8.25's and neither of those fuckers are too big for me.

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -424
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2009, 09:55:54 PM »
Why the fuck do so many of you think the silver/white combo is some sorta rule that should never be broken? Is this like a brown cords thing? Where the fuck did you get the memo that says "only silver trucks and white wheels are acceptable"? Who makes up this stupid shit anyway? Talk about sheep, this is regular. Colors are, like, cool. Rock them if you feel like it.

This "core" shit is out of hand. Now we're down to "only silver trucks and white wheels". Think about that. Holy fuck. Let's just buy some plain white uniforms next.

Egon Spangler

• Rep: -8
  • Doe, Ray, EGON!
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2009, 08:58:07 AM »
Why the fuck do so many of you think the silver/white combo is some sorta rule that should never be broken? Is this like a brown cords thing? Where the fuck did you get the memo that says "only silver trucks and white wheels are acceptable"? Who makes up this stupid shit anyway? Talk about sheep, this is regular. Colors are, like, cool. Rock them if you feel like it.

This "core" shit is out of hand. Now we're down to "only silver trucks and white wheels". Think about that. Holy fuck. Let's just buy some plain white uniforms next.
i like your idea for the uniforms, think you can get slap logo white jumpsuits?
AX THROWERS