Poll

final

lurkville
politic
heavy
isle
northern company

Author Topic: Slap's Board Buyer Club: VOTE OR DON'T  (Read 45596 times)

yeahisaidit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
Re: Slap's Board Buyer Club: VOTE OR DON'T
« Reply #330 on: July 25, 2014, 05:00:33 AM »
Not on the list but I'm getting coakleys board when it arrives at the shop.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #331 on: August 19, 2014, 09:07:09 PM »
Soooo... Anyone get a Heavy?
I did. I like it, nice and crisp.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #332 on: August 31, 2014, 02:57:10 AM »
Not really following your programme but skating a Scum Co and Son at the moment. Decent shape and the wood seems good enough.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #333 on: September 03, 2014, 04:29:49 AM »
#TeamPolar

I just picked up 2 Pontus Pro boards and i'm trying to figure which shape they are because i can't seem to find the label that would tell me which they are.

I got this - http://assets2.routeone.co.uk/media/productimages/x/00/10/001013205.jpg

and this - http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0027/9092/products/polarwalter_grande.jpg?v=1406550652

Prince Nelson

« Reply #334 on: September 03, 2014, 05:24:18 AM »
Expand Quote
#TeamPolar
[close]

I just picked up 2 Pontus Pro boards and i'm trying to figure which shape they are because i can't seem to find the label that would tell me which they are.

I got this - http://assets2.routeone.co.uk/media/productimages/x/00/10/001013205.jpg

and this - http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0027/9092/products/polarwalter_grande.jpg?v=1406550652

If they have a square tail or the board tapers, there will be a sticker on the top ply of the board, within the front tuck holes telling you the dimensions and the name of the shape. If they are standard popsicle sticks, I don't think there is such an indicative sticker.

foureyedjim

« Reply #335 on: September 18, 2014, 11:59:24 PM »
My assessment of the square tail shapes:

P3 is 8.375at the widest.  The tail is closer to an 8.25 before it rounds out
P1 is 8.75 at the widest.  The tail is around an 8.5 before it rounds out
P5 is 8.625 pretty much all the way down

I personally prefer the p3 because the narrower tail makes is easy to scoop tricks but the bigger nose gives you more room to flick.  Can't speak for the other shapes, but P3 has a good balanced concave.  

here's a chart
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 12:02:48 AM by foureyedjim »

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #336 on: October 15, 2014, 05:21:40 AM »
What happened to this shit?

I thought it was pretty RAD that people were ready to back some different smaller companies.

It even inspired me to try out a Scum co and a Polar.

And then it all went to shit ???
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

dillanharp

« Reply #337 on: October 15, 2014, 01:05:21 PM »
Every company chosen wasn't exactly easy to come by. I'd rather support my local shop than some random company from the other side of the country.

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #338 on: October 15, 2014, 01:48:06 PM »
Every company chosen wasn't exactly easy to come by. I'd rather support my local shop than some random company from the other side of the country.
Pretty much this. Hard to come by most of these boards in the UK. Just stuck to Magenta and Isle boards for the time being.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #339 on: October 16, 2014, 04:16:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Pretty much this. Hard to come by most of these boards in the UK. Just stuck to Magenta and Isle boards for the time being.

Fair enough, you can't really order a board for way more cash or ship from the US cheaply (particularly to the UK, those fuckers hit you for 20+% at your door).

I liked the idea though. Would be good if it could be revitalised.

What press are Magenta again? Their graphics have been catching my eye lately...

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #340 on: October 16, 2014, 04:58:23 AM »
I'm skating an Isle right now, good wood, and aging really well. Will repeat, love their art direction. They are doing their own shit and I like it.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 229
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #341 on: October 16, 2014, 10:52:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Fair enough, you can't really order a board for way more cash or ship from the US cheaply (particularly to the UK, those fuckers hit you for 20+% at your door).

What press are Magenta again? Their graphics have been catching my eye lately...

Magenta are generator wood, same as Deluxe, Kayo etc.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #342 on: October 16, 2014, 07:26:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Cheers, I thought they were but got confused. *The Magenta deck I was looking at has a Made in the USA sticker on the top, I thought Generator was Mexico?!?

Are Hopps Chapman?

I need to order a couple of boards from the states.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 06:33:43 AM by 360 frip »

Prince Nelson

« Reply #343 on: October 17, 2014, 07:22:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Cheers, I thought they were but got confused. *The Magenta deck I was looking at has a Made in the USA sticker on the top, I thought Generator was Mexico?!?

Are Hopps Chapman?

I need to order a couple of boards from the states.

Yes. Really great quality.

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #344 on: October 18, 2014, 06:35:19 PM »
Hey everyone,
               Im sorry I never explained why i abandoned this thread, so i will try to do that now and maybe we could even figure out a way to revamp the idea and make it work. First off, I would like to say that in the beginning I started this thread to get people to talk about and skate some lesser known but still quality skateboard companies. I wanted people to realize there were quality boards out there and maybe get people to support some cool companies that are truly by skateboarders for us. I started to see some problems with my idea not to long after the scumco "round" had finished. People really supported scumco in this thread when they won and with it being winter and not to many people really going through boards like they would during the other seasons, i saw hope for the thread. But after the scumco round i started to see more involvement in the voting process and less and less involvement in the actual purchasing and reviewing of the winning companies. I realized that people from different countries probably had no shot at getting their hands on the boards and also that a lot of peoples home skate shops might not even stock the companies boards and those are two big problems. Also i started feeling less freedom when i was buying new boards and that was really annoying to me, to not have the freedom to ride whatever i wanted was a hard thing to overcome. Also and maybe the deciding nail in the coffin for me and this thread was that bigger companies i really respect that are also skaterowned have been hanging on by a thread and going broke over the recent influx of new skateboard brands. So i had to ask myself what would i miss more, brands like habitat or brands like magenta or scumco and to me magentas videos are cool but they do not have the same impact on me that habitat or aws or black labels have had on me and for that im having a hard time letting the recent influx of new companies take over the companies i grew up loving and wanting around forever.

Anyways if anyone has any ideas on how to revamp this idea and make it work better than it has been i am all for it. Maybe we could pick a couple of winners, like two lesser known companies one thats more easily accessible in europe and one that might not be and a bigger company that might need our support now more than ever such as an organika or a habitat or a label. let me know and thanks! :)

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #345 on: November 05, 2014, 10:02:13 PM »
its funny people post in this thread more when i dont... you can probably unsticky this thread

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #346 on: March 16, 2015, 02:21:13 PM »
So after watching Zero's new chapter of No Cash Value I thought of this thread. I don't really know if it's something worth bringing back because the organization of it sort of feel apart, but it's a thought. Idk I'm just stoked on Zero right now (not sure how long that'll last) and they could probably use some support. I'm also not the one who started this thread in the first place, so I really have no power here.