Author Topic: Ben Degros vlog  (Read 49973 times)

Shtonk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -358
Re: Ben Degros vlog
« Reply #570 on: May 01, 2024, 12:34:56 AM »
Did Ben do a favourable review on Cariuma when they were sending them to influencers?

Yeah he did and he talks about it in the quittung video posted above. This AVE vid is eerily similar. Hope the money was good...

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #571 on: May 01, 2024, 07:29:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Am I the only one that has always been massively annoyed by this dude?
[close]

Nah I always thought he had an anal retentive type of vibe but Gifted Hater love(d) him so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Have never finished a video of his
Yeah but Gifted Hater likes Ricky Glazer & other dipshits too.  I also couldn't finish that Vans video.  He seemed to be giving an honest enough review, but I couldn't give less of a shit.  He likes being paid though
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 07:56:14 AM by radcunt »

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1232
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #572 on: May 04, 2024, 12:50:00 PM »

SkatingOnNeptune

• Rep: -21
« Reply #573 on: May 04, 2024, 03:39:14 PM »
Benny boy really said give money pls

Shtonk

• Rep: -358
« Reply #574 on: May 04, 2024, 10:26:42 PM »
Is he not making enough with his drywalling Business?? Didn't he say in a gifted hater Interview how learning a trade was a good career?

Shuh

• Rep: 4
« Reply #575 on: Today at 12:30:04 AM »
Also did he just expose the Colorway Illuminati?

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #576 on: Today at 07:33:41 AM »
Is he not making enough with his drywalling Business?? Didn't he say in a gifted hater Interview how learning a trade was a good career?
i think he just takes on some small jobs with the client knowing he’s gonna be filming youtube videos. Don’t think he’s done any construction full time for years

frtzgn95

• Rep: 1
« Reply #577 on: Today at 07:54:12 AM »
what kinda person accepts money? he is a pure evil. what is your next step ben? podcasting with mikey taylor?

CarcassToss

• Rep: 26
« Reply #578 on: Today at 08:19:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Am I the only one that has always been massively annoyed by this dude?
[close]

Nah I always thought he had an anal retentive type of vibe but Gifted Hater love(d) him so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Have never finished a video of his
[close]
Yeah but Gifted Hater likes Ricky Glazer & other dipshits too.  I also couldn't finish that Vans video.  He seemed to be giving an honest enough review, but I couldn't give less of a shit.  He likes being paid though

Not annoyed but never got the allure. His snark seems kinda bitter and he'd say shit like he rode Indy's because that's what you do in Vancouver cuz they're cool there and then he would go back and forth for years kinda gaslighting himself at times and it seemed like any other YouTuber but he'd get a pass cuz of his age.

thehogsniper

• Rep: 49
« Reply #579 on: Today at 10:12:33 AM »
It's interesting because up until the AVE 2 shit, he presented himself as an honest and objective reviewer, but now he's admitting that it was all marketing and he got paid for it. It's pretty ridiculous that he's trying to split hairs by saying it's good because they didn't give him talking points or script the review. The fact that he got a paid deal to market the AVE 2 means objectivity has been completely thrown out the window. They flew him out to california in business class, gave him the experience of some bizarre "industry" meet and greet with AVE, and made him feel recognized by one of the major shoe companies in the industry.
I do get pretty irked when I hear people use the old "I am trying to secure my families future" line. It's appealing to the emotional empathy of his audience by framing it in this way, but in reality he's shilling out to the demand of a corporation for a payday because he's a Youtuber. one minute he's singing the praises of the etnies joslin, the next minute he's saying "every time I try anything else I'm not skating as well as I am in the Vans" and then he's praising the asics japan pro. One minute it's about the issues with Youtube and having to make content, and the next he's saying he would make another video for a company if they paid him and gave him free shit. Completely sidesteps the price-point being $130 USD/$175 CAD. It's absurd, and from this point forward it's kind of blatantly obvious that every video review could just be a paid ad. Maybe Asics sent him those free pair! Who the hell even knows.

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
« Reply #580 on: Today at 10:16:40 AM »
It's interesting because up until the AVE 2 shit, he presented himself as an honest and objective reviewer, but now he's admitting that it was all marketing and he got paid for it. It's pretty ridiculous that he's trying to split hairs by saying it's good because they didn't give him talking points or script the review. The fact that he got a paid deal to market the AVE 2 means objectivity has been completely thrown out the window. They flew him out to california in business class, gave him the experience of some bizarre "industry" meet and greet with AVE, and made him feel recognized by one of the major shoe companies in the industry.
I do get pretty irked when I hear people use the old "I am trying to secure my families future" line. It's appealing to the emotional empathy of his audience by framing it in this way, but in reality he's shilling out to the demand of a corporation for a payday because he's a Youtuber. one minute he's singing the praises of the etnies joslin, the next minute he's saying "every time I try anything else I'm not skating as well as I am in the Vans" and then he's praising the asics japan pro. One minute it's about the issues with Youtube and having to make content, and the next he's saying he would make another video for a company if they paid him and gave him free shit. Completely sidesteps the price-point being $130 USD/$175 CAD. It's absurd, and from this point forward it's kind of blatantly obvious that every video review could just be a paid ad. Maybe Asics sent him those free pair! Who the hell even knows.

Not trying to defend Ben because I don’t really care, but did you watch the video?  He said a rep sent him the Asics shoe and that he’d love to get paid to do a review.  I think he’s being fairly transparent about the whole thing, and he’s built up enough good will over the years I think his audience will dig him getting some cash for what he’s doing

thehogsniper

« Reply #581 on: Today at 10:27:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not trying to defend Ben because I don’t really care, but did you watch the video?  He said a rep sent him the Asics shoe and that he’d love to get paid to do a review.  I think he’s being fairly transparent about the whole thing, and he’s built up enough good will over the years I think his audience will dig him getting some cash for what he’s doing
I didn't catch the line about the rep, but being a shill is still being a shill. Only videos he's made in the last two months on YT have been self-promotion (real) or ad-placement (asics/vans). By this logic we should never have made fun of Cariuma, because a lot of people got money.

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
« Reply #582 on: Today at 10:33:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I didn't catch the line about the rep, but being a shill is still being a shill. Only videos he's made in the last two months on YT have been self-promotion (real) or ad-placement (asics/vans). By this logic we should never have made fun of Cariuma, because a lot of people got money.

I hear you, but I feel like he’s obviously more of a tastemaker/influencer at this point.  If Ben thinks it’s cool or a product has his sign-off it gets people stoked on trying it.  Whether you choose to try the shoe or not is up to you… seems like a good business model for Ben (at least to me).

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #583 on: Today at 10:42:18 AM »

Get a life, who gives a fuck
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Dad Board

• Rep: 81
« Reply #584 on: Today at 11:24:12 AM »
I’ve joked about the AVE video but I would take a trip/paycheck from vans 1000%
YouTube does not pay nearly as much as people think and it’s super unreliable month to month. Some of you guys expect people to be these altruistic pillars of selfless service in a capitalist society. He put in the video that it’s a sponsored video, didn’t call it a review and gave enough information about that dumbass shoe for anyone who looks it up. If you buy $130 shoes with the intent on skating in them than you’re in a special class of people anyways. I’m glad he got paid because what he does is work. Editing is work. Being on camera giving people information and energy is work. Yes it’s more enjoyable than working dishpit at old spaghetti factory but it takes a lot of time and effort and it’s insane that him making one in 300+ videos about a product he got paid for is enough for people to turn on him. Y’all are acting like he broke out into a raid shadow legends ad break. Ben is a real one in a sea of phony fucking grifters and clout chasers.
« Last Edit: Today at 11:48:27 AM by Dad Board »

thehogsniper

« Reply #585 on: Today at 01:07:49 PM »
YouTube does not pay nearly as much as people think and it’s super unreliable month to month. Some of you guys expect people to be these altruistic pillars of selfless service in a capitalist society. He put in the video that it’s a sponsored video, didn’t call it a review and gave enough information about that dumbass shoe for anyone who looks it up. If you buy $130 shoes with the intent on skating in them than you’re in a special class of people anyways. I’m glad he got paid because what he does is work. Editing is work. Being on camera giving people information and energy is work. Yes it’s more enjoyable than working dishpit at old spaghetti factory but it takes a lot of time and effort and it’s insane that him making one in 300+ videos about a product he got paid for is enough for people to turn on him. Y’all are acting like he broke out into a raid shadow legends ad break. Ben is a real one in a sea of phony fucking grifters and clout chasers.
unironically letting your channel become part of VF Corp's astroturfing is pretty wack, no matter how you decide to jump through mental gymnastics to justify it. guy is a shill.
blow it out your ass
Expand Quote
[close]

Dad Board

• Rep: 81
« Reply #586 on: Today at 01:47:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
unironically letting your channel become part of VF Corp's astroturfing is pretty wack, no matter how you decide to jump through mental gymnastics to justify it. guy is a shill.
Expand Quote
blow it out your ass
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

so anyone who skates for Vans is a shill too because they appear in ads and get paid to wear them?

CarcassToss

• Rep: 26
« Reply #587 on: Today at 03:20:15 PM »
So DLX flies him around and he presumably got kickbacks from that but it's working with Vans that makes him a shill?

Did people think he wasn't getting some sort of financial benefits when he started designing decks and doing shoe work with Etnies? This vid sounds like he made it just to clearly spell out what was already happening.

I don't give a shit about the AVE 2 as a shoe but watched and he did have critical notes about it. It's not like it was a complete joke of a review. It's more honest than Christian Sanchez using every shoe review to sell his insoles.