Author Topic: books to read  (Read 435423 times)

Mr. Kamikazi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -114
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
Re: books to read
« Reply #3870 on: January 13, 2024, 08:51:42 AM »
Just bought a copy of the Sound & the Fury.

Crust

• Rep: 42
« Reply #3871 on: January 14, 2024, 02:39:00 AM »
Meditations - Marcus Aurelius

Stoic ideas are an amazing tool to have in our mental repertoire for dealing with different types of stress in life

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3872 on: January 14, 2024, 07:39:55 PM »

"Read" these over my winter break. "The Wager" and "Fever in the Heartland" I listened to. All really good.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 721
« Reply #3873 on: January 14, 2024, 07:59:29 PM »
There are some schlocky elements to this, but it's a surf and by extension skate classic imo. It was written in the 50s and the sociological context is pretty interesting, exploring sexual and social mores in sometimes surprisingly open ways. Other times, it's expectedly dated.
The paratextual info about the father-daughter relationship is also interesting (the story is fairly biographical, related by a 15-year-old girl and ghost-written by her dad). Also kind of fascinating that the dad/author- who was a german-speaking landed immigrant in post ww2- played such a heavy role in documenting and defining surf culture and its slang for the mainstream.

TableClearer

• Rep: 3
« Reply #3874 on: January 24, 2024, 01:06:15 AM »
40 pages into Great Apes by Will Self and it's been near impossible to follow - is it intentional for the story or just the authors writing style?

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2548
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3875 on: January 24, 2024, 07:21:45 AM »

"Read" these over my winter break. "The Wager" and "Fever in the Heartland" I listened to. All really good.

I just listened to The Wager on BBC Sounds last week. It was an abridged version, though. Still very compelling. I am fascinated by the Franklin expedition and there are some similarities between these two expeditions so I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #3876 on: January 24, 2024, 02:04:53 PM »
Reading "Down and Out in Paris and London" by George Orwell. Just fun reading these personal reflections of being broke as fuck in these cities from a hundred years ago.  Funny to read about old shitty kitchen working conditions and cocaine smuggling scams happening in the 1920s/30s

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 790
« Reply #3877 on: January 24, 2024, 02:35:06 PM »
I enjoyed 'Down and Out..." also. You'll likely enjoy "The Road to Wigan Pier" and "Homage to Catalonia" also, especially if you feel like arguing with your local leftist about selling out the revolution.

I'm currently making my way through the three part autobiography of Jon Gnarr, Reykjavík's Anarchist mayor.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1188
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3878 on: January 28, 2024, 05:47:37 PM »
Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace

Always heard about it but was too intimidated to read it until some unknowable mental screw frayed and I finally decided to take the plunge… and I’m glad I did.

It’s a tad long, but it doesn’t really resemble anything I’ve ever read. It’s a surprisingly prescient dystopian novel set in an alternate near future where years are sponsored by corporate conglomerates.  It mainly takes place in an elite junior tennis academy and a nearby drug/alcohol recovery halfway house. 

It was written by this dude that I honestly don’t even know if I like, but who is talented beyond all reckoning.  He made a whole world you can both pinpoint and lounge in.  (Whoops can’t end a sentence in a prepositional.) He just kinda spilled his whole soul out on paper for everything he was worth; then, as someone with severe, clinical depression often does, killed himself in 2008  :-\

Basically I’m just advertising for anyone that has read or wants to read this book so we can talk about it in PM’s.

The Dark Enlightenment by Nick Land

A tiny little condensed laser-beam of societal analysis.  A 3-4 casual-shit read (under 100 pages) ; would suggest some familiarity with major western philosophers.  Can’t look at the world the same way ever again.

The Machiavellians by James Burnham

A masterpiece and mind-expanding primer for anyone with an open mind that has lost faith in our modern democracy.  He runs through some major bulletpoints and cuts to the quick.  One of the best books I’ve ever read.

Free pdf
https://ia601307.us.archive.org/14/items/BurnhamJamesTheMachiavellians/Burnham%2C%20James%20-%20The%20Machiavellians.pdf

« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 05:55:27 PM by SneakySecrets »
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #3879 on: February 11, 2024, 03:17:52 PM »

I've been having a lot of fun teaching a bunch of tales from this tome. My students seem to be enjoying themselves, too. Really good bang for your buck if you want to get into "weird" fiction but don't know where to start.

Thought about assigning this one for an end-of-the-semester banger, but ultimately decided against it. Hyper-violent, absurdist satire of US racial history and race relations. It was a page-turner and pretty funny at points, but I didn't feel up to the task of herding my students through it.

Teaching this more digestible but no less absurd classic in its place:

Ninj2

• Rep: -77
« Reply #3880 on: February 11, 2024, 04:30:10 PM »
We been rereading bomb the suburbs we found in the basement when we was cleaning and we should be watchoon tha game.
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=31739340784&dest=usa&ref_=ps_ggl_18382194370&cm_mmc=ggl-_-US_Shopp_Trade0to10-_-product_id=COM9781887128445USED-_-keyword=

breezer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #3881 on: February 13, 2024, 10:18:46 AM »
I enjoyed 'Down and Out..." also. You'll likely enjoy "The Road to Wigan Pier" and "Homage to Catalonia" also, especially if you feel like arguing with your local leftist about selling out the revolution.

I'm currently making my way through the three part autobiography of Jon Gnarr, Reykjavík's Anarchist mayor.

Down and Out is one of my all time favourites, mainly because of the Parisian section.  The English half is less memorable.  The only jarring thing though is anti-semitism.........even Orwell was capable of hateful tropes. 

Keep_on_Chooglin

• Rep: 28
« Reply #3882 on: February 13, 2024, 10:42:49 AM »
Just finished Stonefish by Scott R. Jones. Big recommend for anyone into Sci-fi, horror:

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
« Reply #3883 on: March 01, 2024, 10:00:10 AM »
Bumping this because I’ve read some great books recently. I finally got around to reading The Post Office by Charles Bukowski. I’d read snippets before but never the whole book. Loved it.

I’ve also been on a TC boyle thing. I started with the Tortilla Curtain and liked it. However, I started When the Killing’s Done yesterday and am burning through that. Holy shit, so good. Without even finishing it I would definitely recommend it as the tc boyle book to read first if you haven’t read him before.

newguy

« Reply #3884 on: March 03, 2024, 03:08:19 PM »
Zionists relations with Nazi Germany
Faris Yahya

https://michaelharrison.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Zionist-Relations-with-Nazi-Germany-Faris-Yahya-PSR-Beirut-1978.pdf

I dont expect anyone here to know who faris yahya is , but if youre interested/horrified by the genocide currently in progress at the hands of zionists this will likely help you make some sense of « how the fuck did we get here ».

And in case some of you wonder who might Faris Yahya be, here is a great article on the man.
https://liberatedtexts.com/reviews/zionism-as-a-fascist-ideology-zionist-relations-with-nazi-germany-by-faris-glubb/

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #3885 on: March 07, 2024, 10:04:48 PM »
Only ever got 200 pages into Dune years ago prior to Denis first movie.  Restarting it now has me super fired up and loving the first few chapters all ove again with a way better understanding

gringo_viejo

• Rep: 41
« Reply #3886 on: March 08, 2024, 07:41:30 PM »
Been recommending Tamsyn Muir's locked tomb trilogy to everyone who will listen.
Also would definitely buy a deck with this graphic.

GaryDahLegend

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3887 on: March 30, 2024, 04:54:56 AM »
I read Wonderful Fool by Shusaku Endo (guy that wrote Silence, that Scorsese Italian monks in Japan movie) a few months ago. If you ever wanted to read a story where JarJar Binks is the main character, have at it. I finished it. I don't regret reading it. It was as good as it could have been with such a terribly annoying protagonist.

mrrobot1994

• Rep: 3
« Reply #3888 on: March 30, 2024, 06:18:10 PM »
I might have top few in every genre:

Finance/Investing
1. The Intelligent Investor
2. The big short
3. The accounting game

Economics
1. Economics in one lesson
2. Freakonomics
3. How an economy grows and why it crashes

phim sex trung quốc
Self help/ Personal development

1. Who moved my cheese
2. Eat that frog
3. How to win friends and influence people

Fiction
1. Harry potter series
2. The kite runner
3. A walk to remember
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 04:28:18 AM by mrrobot1994 »

Shtonk

• Rep: -349
« Reply #3889 on: March 31, 2024, 07:31:23 AM »
Has anybody on here recommended "Humankind" by R. Bregman? Perfect book for anyone looking for a more positive outlook on humanity and the potential for positive change

Mywm

• Rep: 10
« Reply #3890 on: April 28, 2024, 09:44:25 PM »
Lost the passion for reading, trying to get back into it.
I'm returning to old favorites for now.
Read Mysteries by Knut Hamsun again. I love Nagel's retelling of his dreams and his ramblings. Hamsun is a master of rambling.
Also read some Robert Walser shit. Now reading James Joyce's Epiphany little texts. Never got into Ulysses or Finnegans Wake, but I love these sketches.
Aimless writing that somehow hits your soul is my kind of shit.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1400
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3891 on: April 29, 2024, 04:51:29 PM »
“James: A Novel” by Percival Everett

Its a retelling of Twain’s “Huckleberry Finn,” thru the story of Jim.

Very enjoyable book
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 721
« Reply #3892 on: April 29, 2024, 05:37:27 PM »

Very enjoyable book

funny I don't remember a Jim in Huck Finn, could you elaborate?

that was my clyde singleton impression

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1400
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3893 on: Today at 04:04:32 PM »
Expand Quote

Very enjoyable book
[close]

funny I don't remember a Jim in Huck Finn, could you elaborate?

that was my clyde singleton impression

Your joke aside, its a dope novel
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty