Author Topic: Snowskating  (Read 2592 times)

woodinbrine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
Snowskating
« on: January 21, 2019, 02:41:27 AM »
The Norwegian winter means no outdoor skating for a few months, and I’m too broke to go to paid skatehalls often and no longer live out in the country with access to a barnhouse ramp, so I’ve picked up snowskating.
Anyone else into that? I’m having a lot of fun, and although it’s pretty different than ordinary skating I think it’s helping me figure out some stuff since it’s easier to commit to tricks on snow (tricks are harder to do though). Broke my rib the second day I had the board, so it can certainly still go bad haha.

Buck Bundy

• Rep: 38
Re: Snowskating
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 02:56:02 AM »
I bought a Premier Snowskate back when they first came out (early 2000’s?). We had some really fun sessions. Driving around during snowstorms, hitting spots that you couldn’t on a regular skateboard, and setting up long ass rails/boxes. If I was younger and motivated, I’d go out enjoy this Chicago winter...but thanks to Gosha Konyshev’s "Zima" Part, I now realize I could just skateboard.

woodinbrine

• ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 03:35:24 AM »
I tried one of those back then, but wasn’t able to really do anything on it other than ride around. Were you able to pop it? The wooden Ambition board I have now I can ollie and do flip tricks on, though I’m still far from consistent with anything other than shoves.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 03:48:58 AM »
I’m with it, makes finding spots fun cause you can go anywhere there’s snow. Just had a snowy weekend and got out there for a while.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 309
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 05:14:13 AM »
I tried one of those back then, but wasn’t able to really do anything on it other than ride around. Were you able to pop it? The wooden Ambition board I have now I can ollie and do flip tricks on, though I’m still far from consistent with anything other than shoves.

I got a Ambition coming in the mail soon really looking forward to trying it out. Saw their video online and thought it was dope. Seems like a lot of those dudes get hooked up by Pyramid Country too. What shoes are you using? I’ve got some winterized emericas but the vans all weather look pretty dope too.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 07:40:42 AM »
ambition is solid, thats what i have. i recommend getting that spikey grip they sell. it stays on super well and really helps if youre trying to do ollies and fliptricks.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 08:12:21 AM »
Hell yea. love the ollie @:52

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 742
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 09:34:51 PM »
Do snowskating companies make their own specific grip?
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 09:45:36 PM »

I know at least Ambition does, they come in sections and are made of rubber or some waterproof material.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 10:28:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I know at least Ambition does, they come in sections and are made of rubber or some waterproof material.

Ordered some... think it’d work for skating in the snow? Does it go over griptape...?

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1969
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 04:53:38 PM »
I had a World Industries snowskate but the bottom was just plastic and it would barely move.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 06:31:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ordered some... think it’d work for skating in the snow? Does it go over griptape...?

I havent actually gotten mine yet so I have no idea if it will or not, if you’re using it for skating in the winter then you may want to consider just setting up a cheap shop deck or something you find on sale online. In Goshas thrasher interview for his zima part he said he just went to home depot and found a sheet of some rough rubber that he used as grip and put motor oil on his bearings. Hope that helps!

feedmeseymour

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 07:53:06 PM »
I had a World Industries snowskate but the bottom was just plastic and it would barely move.

I had that back in the day, the tech/shape of snowskates has changed But plastic ones still suck, wooden is the way to go.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 09:16:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I havent actually gotten mine yet so I have no idea if it will or not, if you’re using it for skating in the winter then you may want to consider just setting up a cheap shop deck or something you find on sale online. In Goshas thrasher interview for his zima part he said he just went to home depot and found a sheet of some rough rubber that he used as grip and put motor oil on his bearings. Hope that helps!

Oh shit, I didn't even think of that. I'll see how their grip works and check that out too. Thanks man! I'm definitely trying to recreate some of the same sort of vibes but that dude's gotta be a superhuman... or Russian.

woodinbrine

• ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 01:50:04 AM »
What shoes are you using? I’ve got some winterized emericas but the vans all weather look pretty dope too.

I used the winter Vans earlier but didn't really like them. I'm on Supra Bandit Sherpas now, they're both warmer, more comfortable and more durable in my experience.

Expand Quote
[close]

The "Extreme grip" is pretty much a necessity if you want to do much more than popless shove-its and ride-on grinds. I've seen videos of guys doing crazy stuff without it but they probably have some sort of superpower. The old extreme grip is made of metal spikes covered by a layer of urethane, but I think the new stuff does away with the metal and thus is nicer to your shoes in the long run.

Counting in the spiky grip makes a snowskate a pretty expensive purchase, but it'll last you a long time. Once you get scratches underneath that start slowing you down you just take a razor blade or something like that and scrape them off (there's a guide for that somewhere on youtube). I also like to put on a layer of the glider stuff you use to make cross country skis slick.

Dorknerd

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2019, 03:16:05 AM »
Can you turn on those? Seems incomprehensible in Newtown where 23c has been the lowest temperature in 5 weeks. Mosley over here.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2019, 05:34:47 AM »
Can you turn on those? Seems incomprehensible in Newtown where 23c has been the lowest temperature in 5 weeks. Mosley over here.
depends on how much snow. if youre going downhill with a good amount of snow yeah but otherwise its usually a straight shot.

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • Lexapro
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2019, 11:43:16 AM »
next thread: trampoline skating
hopefully ty evans was there to film him laying on the ground in HD

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2019, 02:29:55 PM »
I remember my mom got me a Burton snowskate for a birthday or christmas one year. It was like the first model ever  made. Still have it but was never good at it haha

Bagelskate

• Rep: 62
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2019, 03:01:08 PM »
My friends had one and had a nice little Hill in their back yard. It was a lot of fun to make little kickers to roll off. Once it got packed down and froze overnight it was so fast and hurt like balls when you fell.

Always wanted my own from the ccs catalog but never got one. Probably not enough snow here to get one now

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2020, 11:16:27 AM »

new shanahan clip on blubba is unreal... dude is changing the game every time he steps on the board

snowskating is pretty amazing but it does have the vibe of you just do it for a bit then you gotta walk back up to the top. cant just have fun on flat ground and a curb the same way you can with a skateboard but there is still lots of fun to be had and doesnt take much, tiny ass hill can provide pretty fun setup that is hard to get hurt on. since the ski hill in my city is closed down i may try and hellride down one of those on the snow skate. it is nice and light to birng around so easier to bring other shit you might need too like shovel or beers

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 89
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2020, 02:45:01 PM »
Hiking laps on a hill is not as bad as it seems

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2022, 08:53:12 AM »
considering making a youtube vid for the stuff i have learned in the past 2 years snowskating. will outline the points here:

1. "Pro Decks" vs "Team Decks": from Ambition have different foam grip on the top. The Pro boards have some concave to them, while the team boards are completely flat. It is possible to buy the concave after the fact and just paste it onto your Flat deck. Harfang snowskates used to sell it on their website but it seems they don't offer it anymore / sold out. all in all, i dont think the foam concave makes a HUGE difference.i can do flip tricks on both decks fine.

2. Grips: The companies do not actually manufacture the grips themselves, they are done through third party. https://www.gripallsports.com/store this is where I bought some Scrap Packs so I could try all different kinds of grips. I would say most people find the Tundra Grip which Ambition used to sell in a complete kit is way too aggressive. There are smaller spikes you can get that are much less aggressive called Xtreme grip. I have attached an image to help you lay out the grip (this is from Jensen Fiskerr, one of the first pro's on Ambition)

Ambition has released a new "Prism Grip" that seems to be superior, but it is fairly expensive. I definintely am going to try this when i get my next board maybe next year or the year after.

3. Footwear: First priorty for me would be getting a pair of boots that go up your shin and of course snow pants. You are going to be shovelling a lot. I have noticed a lot of brands even SOREL or North Face the boots are not particularly warm, they are really just designed to keep your feet DRY. so I bought really nice  waterproof socks that keep my feet very warm. You dont need shoes if you are just bombing hills, i can do flip tricks in boots even.  I got these:
https://www.amazon.ca/Waterproof-Breathable-Certified-RANDY-SUN/dp/B09M9LLXVJ they work great.

if you are skating a spot you want to pop off of, you need to shovel it really well, and thne you are going to want to switch to your shoes. You don't really need VANS MTE shoes, but I will say they sure do help. Sometimes the area is slippery / icy, and you just cant get any speed running up to the board. you are falling before you even get onto the board. I think you get a lot more board feel using normal skate shoes though. I find chunkier shoes like es Accels actually felt really good for flip tricks. but yeah once the spot is really cleared out + prepared you want to switch to shoes.

snowskate grips do not mess up your shoes at all so it can be worth it to pay some extra $ to get a nice pair that will keep you warm. i am a huge pussy for the cold though.

4. Spot preparation: You need to shovel the snow down to the concrete or wood that you are planning to pop off of, and then just add a tiny bit of snow on at the end. you might get away with some very hard packed down snow sending off it for a few tries, but after awhile, it will just start to rut and you will be fighting the board just to keep it straight while just trying to set up for a trick. you also want to shovel yourself room to run because it is actually a lot more tiring running in deep snow, and its probably icy underneath too which is no good.

if you look at most pro clips, they usually hit rails right after a fresh snow, or else they spend a ton of time preparring it so they can get a huge snap off the ground.

5. trick progression: it is a lot harder to skate on just flat ground and do flip tricks and have the same kind of fun you would on a skateboard. i would say the ideal kind of spot for flip tricks is a 2 stair or higher and then into a bank or hill so you have good speed on the ride away. a lot of time i will just go a bit slower and skate a 6 stair. even though i wont clear the entire stair set, i will for sure clear sometthing. and theres no wheels to catch on the stairs, so it provides a nice ride out with speed.

shove + 360 shove are much easier on snowskate because no trucks / wheels to force the board to flip. i would say heelflips seem especially harder but it might just be the way i do them. its pretty hard for me to do it on flat but i can do them off of stuff. for reference, i can do double heelflips on skateboard pretty easily.

it is REALLY hard to ollie over stuff like you would ollie decks, BUT, if its an obstacle, its actually kinda easier because you can just pop your tail as hard as you can, ready yourself lol then bash your board into it and absorb your way onto the obstacle. no ttrucks or wheels to worry about.

rails are really fun and dont seem to mess your board up much - especially round rails. because your board has grooves to lock in on, you wont really damage the integrity of the board by grinding on those parts because they never make contact with the ground. even boardslides arent too bad on flat bars. Round will make less surface contact though and do less damage so probably more ideal for a backyard setup.  where you will do the most damage is grinding really dry hubbas, rocks, riding down dry stairs, sidewalks, that type of shit.

typically the boards start to lose speed after awhile and that is when people will switch them out, its not so much that they lose pop or lose shape like skateboards.