Author Topic: Non skate shoes(comfortable chillers)  (Read 4955 times)

blahblah999

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
Re: Non skate shoes(comfortable chillers)
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2023, 06:46:47 AM »

What about them doesn't last as long? I've been considering getting some for years but can never pull the trigger on something so expensive

Midsole cushioning and the liner of the upper. I managed to get 9 months out of my last pair, which was pushing it. Probably should have retired them at month 7 or 8. If you are a skinny, slim person you won't wear them out as fast as I did. Any high performance shoe like that is only good for so long, even if you just walk in them. Both my knee doc and my podiatrist warned me about trying to get too much mileage out of shoes.

blahblah999

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2023, 06:50:43 AM »

Desert treks are probably better than wallabees for anyone concerned about their ankles

Used to wear Desert Boots and Bushacre Clarks all the time as biz casual office wear. Over time they gave me plantar fasciitis, so they are no go for me now, even though I like the way they look.

I had a nice pair of Cheaney UK suede chukkas with a dainite sole at one point. Those were much better shoes than any Clarks, but also cost quite a bit more. They also had six eyelets instead of 2 or 3, so they were easier to get a good stable fit with. Not sure if Cheaney still makes those or not. If they do, probably quite expensive these days.

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 93
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2023, 06:57:17 AM »
I got a pair of cats for chilling and wallabees, too.

Ah shieeet.

But yeah I do wear the new-ish vegan shelltoes and NB 425s for chilling, mostly.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2023, 07:06:05 AM »
I got a pair of cats for chilling and wallabees, too.

Ah shieeet.

But yeah I do wear the new-ish vegan shelltoes and NB 425s for chilling, mostly.

Testing my patience

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -2
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2023, 07:58:57 AM »
Can anyone recommend something with a very wide toe box? I got these clearance pair of Etnies Scouts (cheapo foam chiller shoe) to wear with my insoles for plantar fasciitis, but I'm noticing that they are cramping my toes up. Most shoes do this, but I guess wearing them all the time is causing me problems.

I'd like something with good padding on the bottom and preferably with a vegan option (but not a huge deal if not, I prefer to get used leather than new vegan).

blahblah999

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2023, 08:24:20 AM »
Can anyone recommend something with a very wide toe box? I got these clearance pair of Etnies Scouts (cheapo foam chiller shoe) to wear with my insoles for plantar fasciitis, but I'm noticing that they are cramping my toes up. Most shoes do this, but I guess wearing them all the time is causing me problems.

I'd like something with good padding on the bottom and preferably with a vegan option (but not a huge deal if not, I prefer to get used leather than new vegan).

How wide are we talking? When's the last time you got a Brannock measurement on your foot?

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -2
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2023, 08:32:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How wide are we talking? When's the last time you got a Brannock measurement on your foot?

No idea

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 782
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2023, 08:53:08 AM »

Just bought these (not my pic)

Thread inspired me. I was thinking of starting this same thread lol trying to build a repertoire of comfy shoes but yeah gonna make me look like a normie haha I can’t look like a sk9r 4 life in vans sadly. Then again lots of us don’t look like skaters in our day to day so whatever I’m old and not cool and am accepting my status of cog in the ever spinning consumer sprocket

nothing's been the since same

lydius

• Rep: 43
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2023, 09:23:12 AM »
for high arches, I tried on a bunch of running shoes and found New Balance 1080s are by far the best. Asics Gel Nimbus 23s and 24s are also good but not quite as comfy as the NB.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • Get bent
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2023, 09:26:34 AM »
Expand Quote
I run a bit and the hoka’s seemed kinda like the D3s of running……that said, I just bought marathon 10’s which are pretty much a knock off….

Wallabees kinda almost ended me……they will snap your ankles just walking around…..most dangerous chiller..

Lately I’ve gravitated to hiking shoes just because the weather has been shit and I need something to walk to the spot in…..
[close]

True on wallabees. But they look the best. I’ve had mine for 25 years. Definitely ready for a few new pairs.

I ain’t doing anything physical in wallabees, most definitely an ankle breaker if you were to even jog in em, but the comfort level is unmatched after a short break in, but you wanna talk about breaking ankles… they make low top wallabees
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

blahblah999

« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2023, 09:55:33 AM »

No idea

I would go to a real shoe store, like an NB store or a good running store and get measured. Otherwise you are just wasting time and taking shots in the dark, likely to find more uncomfortable shoes until you know your real size and width.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2023, 11:27:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I run a bit and the hoka’s seemed kinda like the D3s of running……that said, I just bought marathon 10’s which are pretty much a knock off….

Wallabees kinda almost ended me……they will snap your ankles just walking around…..most dangerous chiller..

Lately I’ve gravitated to hiking shoes just because the weather has been shit and I need something to walk to the spot in…..
[close]

True on wallabees. But they look the best. I’ve had mine for 25 years. Definitely ready for a few new pairs.
[close]

I ain’t doing anything physical in wallabees, most definitely an ankle breaker if you were to even jog in em, but the comfort level is unmatched after a short break in, but you wanna talk about breaking ankles… they make low top wallabees

I had some, skated them too

Some of the dudes saw sheffey skate in them so, yeah had too
I am much older now.

Pastasash

• Rep: 76
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2023, 11:55:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

No idea

New Balance offers that with their most popular lifestyle models (like the 990v6) in standard, wide, extra wide, and extra extra wide in all sizes. Not sure about the vegan aspect, but just an option.

https://www.newbalance.com/pd/made-in-usa-990v6/M990V6-43094.html#dwvar_M990V6-43094_size=10&dwvar_M990V6-43094_style=M990GL6&dwvar_M990V6-43094_width=2E&pid=M990V6-43094&quantity=1

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2023, 07:48:34 PM »
New Balance 574. Plenty of colorways and I find them to be nice and comfortable. I want to get a pair of blue ones, but I don't wear my current pair too often so I can't justify it.

For boots, Solovair derby boots paired with thick socks. I don't wear them too much nowadays cause lacing them up is kind of a pain, but that may change with current bad weather.

blahblah999

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2023, 05:56:30 AM »

For boots, Solovair derby boots paired with thick socks.

I've had a bunch of MIE boots of that type. Docs, Gladiators, Gripfast, etc. The most comfortable ones IME are the Gripfast boots, even though they have a fairly heavy sole - not as heavy as Gladiator though. Solovair doesn't work well for me because many of their styles are made on a very narrow last.

Right now my main winter boots are a pair of Jim Greens in the pull-on/Chelsea style. I may try a pair of the lace up ones at some point down the line.

beavis

• Rep: 3
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2023, 06:03:31 AM »
Expand Quote
I wear a pair of Clark’s wallabees when I’m not skating, also have quite a few pairs of mules, including the Wierd Nike ones with the removable insoles that are supposed to massage your feet (Nike offline) I believe they have several versions of this shoe out, uuhhh other than that i have been running a pair humidity vans boot they put out as well ( they don’t breath very well because of the goretex) but they are sick and I like the way they look
[close]

What do you think you're too good for me?

lol

blahblah999

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2023, 06:08:28 AM »
While we are on the subject of welted shoes and non-sneaker shoes, I'll throw out the Red Wing Postman Oxford. They are not cheap and they don't always offer them in different colors. They are comfortable if you need something a little nicer than a sneaker though. Mine are in the merlot color, which they don't offer right now. I will say that the white RW soles tend to get dirty quickly. When mine are ready to be resoled I will have a black RW sole put on them instead.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2023, 06:26:46 AM »
While we are on the subject of welted shoes and non-sneaker shoes, I'll throw out the Red Wing Postman Oxford. They are not cheap and they don't always offer them in different colors. They are comfortable if you need something a little nicer than a sneaker though. Mine are in the merlot color, which they don't offer right now. I will say that the white RW soles tend to get dirty quickly. When mine are ready to be resoled I will have a black RW sole put on them instead.

When an older relative passed I was given their Red Wing chukkas, 595s. It’s been years since I’ve had them, but I think about those often. If I had a spare $300 I would gladly. Some of the most versatile shoes I’ve had.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 839
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2023, 09:00:35 AM »

Just picked up these DMX 1200s.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2023, 10:36:16 AM »

These are great for the arches in my feet. Swedish brand made in Portugal and environmentally-friendly. I got them during their sale for about $60/pair before a discount code. The quality of the materials is good, but not good enough to skate. I’ve had them for at least a year now.

https://humansarevain.com/produkt/mellby-sustainable-chelsea-boot-grey/

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1589
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2023, 05:38:33 PM »
Everyone in my city runs blundstones with skinny jeans and it angers me…..

Out of spite I bought doc martens but they are too painful to put on…..

In the summer I wear Birkenstocks a lot…..

fistful0dynamite

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2023, 11:06:18 PM »
Been listening to a lot of ghostface lately, making me wanna pick up a pair of Wally’s. Anyone know if those joints fit tts?

blahblah999

« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2023, 07:33:32 AM »
Been listening to a lot of ghostface lately, making me wanna pick up a pair of Wally’s. Anyone know if those joints fit tts?

With any Clarks that are an unstructured construction like that, I'd highly recommend going to a store and trying them on. They do fit weird. If you can't go to a store, order multiple sizes and return what doesn't work.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2023, 08:13:28 AM »
Hoka's are some of the ugliest goddamned shoes on Earth, but boy are they comfortable.

Nike Pegasus are dope too.

NB and Asics lifestyle shoes are the shit if you don't like the running shoe aesthetic.

Go to a legit shoe store and try some on.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 309
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2023, 09:06:02 AM »
Has anyone tried the Nike Court Vision mids? Im
in desperate need of some comfy shoes to wear to work that dont look super crazy.

I wear those weird merrell croc things around my apartment but I cant bring myself to wear them outside.

https://www.nike.com/t/court-vision-mid-next-nature-mens-shoes-j5K4rb/DN3577-002?wishList=c00dd665-0c94-5e21-8fdf-65eedc98eb35

https://www.merrell.com/US/en/hydro-moc/53673M.html?dwvar_53673M_color=J004049

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2023, 08:02:27 PM »
Has anyone tried the Nike Court Vision mids? Im
in desperate need of some comfy shoes to wear to work that dont look super crazy.

I wear those weird merrell croc things around my apartment but I cant bring myself to wear them outside.

https://www.nike.com/t/court-vision-mid-next-nature-mens-shoes-j5K4rb/DN3577-002?wishList=c00dd665-0c94-5e21-8fdf-65eedc98eb35

https://www.merrell.com/US/en/hydro-moc/53673M.html?dwvar_53673M_color=J004049

I guess it depends on the work you do, but the court visions mids look like they’d be most at home in some mall food court.
I wanted to get some to skate. And I’d gladly wear the all black ones wherever, looking like a McDonald’s night manager.

A very stylish family member wears the hydro mocs.
But they also have that thing going where they can kinda just wear whatever and it seems to go over well. But yeah they are fans of the hydro. Those just look like alien crocs and that’s cool.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2023, 02:07:38 PM »
my chillers are a pair of IPath Cats

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 985
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2023, 06:20:45 AM »
Floatride Energy 2s. Super comfortable idc that they're hideous.

Nike Burrows or Northface thermoballs for the house shoes.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2023, 07:08:14 AM »

You, are a lie

thisiswhatulooklikern

• Rep: 11
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2023, 10:05:16 AM »