Author Topic: Greco's New Film “Glass Carousel”  (Read 17408 times)

matt_2993

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
Re: Greco's New Film “Glass Carousel”
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2020, 10:15:32 PM »
Those tricks were fucking insane.  I'm bout to jump on skater xl and duplicate all of this

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2020, 10:44:29 PM »
Kickflip pivot and backside flip on the tight wall were sick.

As mentioned, the filming was extremely shaky.

Do homeless people smoke crack or meth in LA?
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2020, 10:45:19 PM »
you'll cowards don't even smoke crack

DiscountCanofTuna

• Rep: 7
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2020, 10:55:13 PM »
He was ripping that's for sure - if anyone's going to film like this - I'm glad it's Jim.

For what it's worth, I feel like the homeless shots were justified by the fact they almost got jumped in one shot, plus it's definitely a reality of the environment they were filming in. I remember walking around that courthouse area of LA as a tourist and being genuinely confronted by the homeless situation.

They were hardly playing it for laughs like in Baker 3...
2023 Slap Pals Fantasy Football Champion

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1179
  • old and in the way
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2020, 12:04:45 AM »
That was great. This current Greco is my favorite one. The Stereo A Visual Sound influence was heavy and thick and perfect.  I don't know a lot about cinematography but the camerawork was interesting. Kind of attractive and uncomfortable. The brick grind sounds were beautiful. The constant surface sounds worked really well with the music and the impression of the repeated lines/attempts was exciting and exhausting. I never knew he had such a nice 360 flip.
I hope Greco keeps working with Joey Sinko on these films.
I understand that filming homeless people and addicts for one's own art or gain is often inappropriate but for whatever reason I feel that the people featured in Glass Carousel were integrated into the story naturally. The interactions felt authentic or were showcased as sharing the environment with Greco and it added tension. The place and the people seemed as important and nuanced as the skater. I also get why someone would see it as disrespectful.
Way to knock it out of the park, Jimbo <3

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 333
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2020, 12:09:24 AM »
This is the best Greco. Incredible skating. I don't mind the shakiness at all. Filming homeless people is questionable even if it serves as a depiction of reality. Those people are in extremely vulnerable situations and I doubt they asked. Great film though and it's crazy to see him go for it after that back injury.

Getty

• Rep: 48
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2020, 12:38:30 AM »
Loved this. What do you do when the world is falling apart? You go skate. Greco knows.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2020, 03:20:50 AM »
Overall it was good especially the skating, and I liked that it loosely followed the other "films" but didn't repeat itself.

Only bad point was the audio, it seemed like a rookie mistake to me. Maybe it was intentional...
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 442
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2020, 04:12:42 AM »
In so far as this was basically a 10 minute long, slightly awkwardly filmed part from Greco on his home turf, I loved it. He still back tailed that tight quarter like a boss and as everyone said still has the best bs 360s.

The skate sound also went extremely well with Bitches Brew and especially Pharao's dance. I'd sort of been waiting for someone to use that era of Miles in skate videos, that was just awesome to listen to.

As far as the whole "I'm an artist" thing goes, I'm more than willing to accept it as long as it keeps him producing footage. Can we somehow convince Rickk, Carrol or Gino to become "cinematic artists" as well?

HeapsCool

• Rep: -174
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2020, 04:25:08 AM »
Everything about that screams I want to a film a part like Gonz would. Jazz even. Coincidence. Nah. 270 tailslide at EMB was insane I give him that.

Greco is way cooler than that adult baby.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2020, 04:50:26 AM »
That was greco.

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -388
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2020, 05:23:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Everything about that screams I want to a film a part like Gonz would. Jazz even. Coincidence. Nah. 270 tailslide at EMB was insane I give him that.
[close]

muddy
Must have saw tall ledge and red ground and mistaken it. Sick regardless.

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2020, 05:54:49 AM »
I loved it. I'm not saying it was executed terribly well as a "film", or even a skate vid, but it felt haphazard and thrown together in a way that feels genuine to his personality, and like others have said, it felt authentic to going skating by yourself in COVIDays

But really, it's mainly that his skating is just so damn good. 42 years old, arguably more stylish than ever. I could give a shit if it's 100% low impact, this is the kinda shit i like to watch, and I will gladly suffer the nausea from shaky cam that comes with it

PeggyHillsShittySpanish

• Rep: 2
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2020, 06:28:25 AM »
I thought it was excellent. I have enjoyed all of his films but this was my favorite. I felt like that was showcasing the homeless situation in reality vs some AH style exploitation with Gerwer kickflipping over someone against their wishes. Greco rips and am glad to see him back after a back injury. Trick selection was outstanding.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -99
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2020, 07:10:10 AM »
Absolutely fucked shit up in this, plus he looks cool.  He's the best of old Baker dudes, kinda don't think it's even close. 

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2020, 07:14:09 AM »
I enjoyed the skating.
Do not feel like he wears waist 36. I wear 34 and I need to lose some quarantine weight

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2020, 07:25:58 AM »
At first with the long scene and shaky filming (only time I noticed it) up the stairs. I was like man come on. But after that it was like non stop amazing skating. The 270 tail?! I need to rewatch the whole thing to really digest everything. I personally didn’t take the homeless shots as distasteful. But this is the environment. Low impact but maybe still dangerous kind of vibe.

Also what is a pupecki grind?
Edit: I googled.

• Rep: 31
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2020, 07:51:58 AM »
I enjoyed the skating.
Do not feel like he wears waist 36. I wear 34 and I need to lose some quarantine weight

Most of those polyester Sta-Prest pants have shrunk by 30% since 1978 and they’re also from the time when companies didn’t do vanity sizing so guys could feel good about wearing the same size since high school.

That said, Jim’s in his early 40s so boredom-eating Office Dad could be the next evolution.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2020, 08:16:04 AM »
This was most excellent. I really like Greco and his interpretation of skating, it’s super refreshing and so clear how much he loves the act of skating itself, super inspiring. As numerous others have said, none of that footage felt exploitative to me; they’re just skating gnarly spots in gnarly environments. Life is very raw, especially right now. Plus it’s a nice juxtaposition with his sobriety which was explored in his previous films. Those decks look dope too.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1972
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2020, 08:32:15 AM »
He was ripping that's for sure - if anyone's going to film like this - I'm glad it's Jim.

For what it's worth, I feel like the homeless shots were justified by the fact they almost got jumped in one shot, plus it's definitely a reality of the environment they were filming in. I remember walking around that courthouse area of LA as a tourist and being genuinely confronted by the homeless situation.

It's not really a chicken or the egg thing here; they were bothering someone who was having a tough time and he reacted. I liked the video fine but putting stuff like that in is tasteless and indefensible. Not to mention played out as fuck if we're really gonna get into the artistic integrity of it.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2020, 08:46:58 AM »
what is this spot? I thought it was LA City Hall but google is telling me different

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2020, 08:53:34 AM »
Wasn't bothered with the shots of homeless people, it's not like he's punching down, he's just pushing around.
And I guess it fit well with the empty mall in the beginning.

Love how high he can pop a back 3, and those back 180 fakie 5s were the cat's meow

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2020, 09:01:33 AM »
Expand Quote
That was fucking perfect.  Shaky filling and all. That felt like 50% of my skate sessions since the pandemic. Just you and people who are trying to survive among the remains of a decaying city. I love Jimmy Gallo. Fuck yeah.
[close]
same
watched it twice already and will continue to watch many more times. short and sweet.
I like how it wasn't released on thrasher. hopefully Jim adds his past films to his channel in the near future

Weird how I will be re-watching this multiple times while most peoples parts ill watch once....been on a heavy miles davis kick lately loved how it was the background music

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1382
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2020, 09:11:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It's not really a chicken or the egg thing here; they were bothering someone who was having a tough time and he reacted. I liked the video fine but putting stuff like that in is tasteless and indefensible. Not to mention played out as fuck if we're really gonna get into the artistic integrity of it.

This. I really liked the skate footage but it personally bothers me to see the camera invading the lives of others who are less fortunate. Doesn’t make me stoked on Greco’s companies or products.

I was surprised to see all those small brick natty quarts though, of course I’ve seen the bigger ones but never those smaller ones lining the street. They look fun, probably very hard to skate.

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2020, 09:57:11 AM »
It’s not tasteless y’all. It’s worse to be skating spots like that and completely ignore the surroundings as if no one is suffering right now; literally the entire planet is fucked. It’s like a gross whitewash/visual gentrification to pretend people aren’t camped out there smoking rock in the middle of the day when that’s the stone cold reality. Skateboarding is a part of street culture, just like graffiti, and yes homelessness. Street skating videos are just that, a documentation of street culture. He’s providing visibility to the social underbelly everyone chooses to disregard like trash, and in turn sparking a conversation about how fucked it all is. It’s good that these images upset you, they should be upsetting, but it’s shortsighted to say it’s tasteless or indefensible. I also want to be explicitly clear that it is extremely easy to completely exploit homelessness in skate videos and it happens regularly, but this ain’t it. Go scold GX for vollies instead.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2020, 09:59:06 AM »
Like others said. His style is better now than ever.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2020, 10:00:36 AM »
It’s not tasteless y’all. It’s worse to be skating spots like that and completely ignore the surroundings as if no one is suffering right now; literally the entire planet is fucked. It’s like a gross whitewash/visual gentrification to pretend people aren’t camped out there smoking rock in the middle of the day when that’s the stone cold reality. Skateboarding is a part of street culture, just like graffiti, and yes homelessness. Street skating videos are just that, a documentation of street culture. He’s providing visibility to the social underbelly everyone chooses to disregard like trash, and in turn sparking a conversation about how fucked it all is. It’s good that these images upset you, they should be upsetting, but it’s shortsighted to say it’s tasteless or indefensible. I also want to be explicitly clear that it is extremely easy to completely exploit homelessness in skate videos and it happens regularly, but this ain’t it. Go scold GX for vollies instead.
Yes, it is.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1518
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2020, 10:00:59 AM »
that clip was somehow everything at once and even though some shit bugged me, those 11 minutes flew by like nothing

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 741
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2020, 10:03:48 AM »
Some of the skating was good. Wasn't a fan of the shaky filming, the powell magic, and filming the homeless. This was just ego masquerading as art.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2020, 10:03:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yes, it is.

How?