Author Topic: Stocks?  (Read 537 times)

Lightskinhardhitta

Stocks?
« on: February 21, 2024, 01:11:35 AM »
Saw a few threads from a while ago but am wondering
 If any pals have tips? I’m very new to it and want to help set up a decent future for myself.

Ankle_Lift

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 79
Re: Stocks?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2024, 11:45:12 AM »
I just Buy an ETF with all sorts of shit in it, VGRO or VQET.

If you chase gains you'll probably end up losing money.

Sincerity

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2024, 03:26:35 PM »
This probably isn't what you had in mind, but if you don't have much investing experience, I recommend reading "The Psychology of Money" by Morgan Housel. It can help readers understand their relationship with money and, as a result, their comfort with risk. This is helpful because investing is about evaluating risk and rewards. If you happen to be risk-averse when it comes to money, what is a great investment for someone else might not be a good fit for you because of the potential stress involved.

Good luck on your investing journey.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -214
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2024, 03:38:15 PM »
Ask yourself, do you want to invest for long-term or for quicker gains?

2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2024, 02:44:18 AM »
Decent future
Invest in gas

Pick one

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -214
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2024, 01:20:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Ask yourself, do you want to invest for long-term or for quicker gains?
[close]

Load up on Vanguard’s VTSAX, Fidelity total stock market, or a similar index fund.

Definitely long term, from my research I’ve found the best short term would be natural gas trading. But at best that seems volatile.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1187
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2024, 02:19:37 PM »
Massive selloff by the elites… crash is coming.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 386
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2024, 03:38:59 PM »
Massive selloff by the elites… crash is coming.

My first piece of advice would be to ignore anyone who tells you what the future of the market is.  No one knows, and there's articles written every single week about "future crashes".  You predict a recession enough times over 15 years, and ya eventually you'll pick it right.

If you're investing long-term(the only safe way), I would suggest putting money in index funds.  I buy VOO.  Market's dip, but the key is not to get emotional and sell your shit for a loss.  If you invest in index funds, you are historically going to get 8ish percent return over the long term.  If you invested in 2007 and didn't sell in 2008, you eventually come out ahead again

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1406
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2024, 05:58:12 PM »
Bananas, quinoa, water, and coffee futures. Fuckin powah food, kid
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 653
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2024, 10:52:15 PM »
SPLG has been good to me over the past few months.

I can't believe META's comeback. I never would have guessed in a million years that they were going to sky rocket back upwards.

I guess the market loves when you layoff employees.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

type

• Rep: -51
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2024, 09:21:21 AM »
Im gonna invest in stocks in a few years for retirement, I want to retire in SEA like the other scumbags, in the mean time my state is legalizing sports betting so im just gonna gamble what I can on that, cryptos kinda dead at this stage
I’m stuck in Fresno rn. behind that circle k across from Wendy’s

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2024, 10:15:07 AM »
 If any pals have tips? I’m very new to it and want to help set up a decent future for myself.

they say time in the market beats timing the market, but right now, the market is near all time highs. 

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 653
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2024, 10:19:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

they say time in the market beats timing the market, but right now, the market is near all time highs.

This is true but it was at an all time high in 97, 2014, 2017, and so on.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2024, 01:37:53 AM »
Honest questions:

Do the folks here who actively invest feel comfortable taking a week or two of? Like, can you go on vacation somewhere -- Acapulco, the Netherlands, wherever -- without checking your portfolio or without paying attention to the financial news? Do you even want to unplug? How do you not let this rule your life?

Anyone loathe the idea of beginning to trade stocks as much as I loathe it, get into it and actually enjoy it?

I'm a wordsmith, an artiste, someone who creates; I'm definitely not a numbers-guy. I mean, I use my calculator and keep a litte cheat sheet in my wallet to ensure I pay the correct tip whenever I eat out (I need absolute silence and have to run the numbers three times to ensure I got it right).

When I gamble, I like to play poker, a game of skill, where I can bluff and psyche out my opponents. I tried Blackjack one time, didn't know how to play, hit when I should have stayed, stayed when I should hit, and everyone at the table got mad at me and pressured me to leave (I had lost my money by that point anyways).

This stock market shit seems like easy money...well, money that I don't actually have to do any real work for. I don't create anything; I'm just making money off of the work and decisions of others. And, the scariest part, it's money that can be taken away from me at the drop of a hat, for seemingly no reason.

I bought a copy of that movie "The Big Short". I didn't even understand what the hell they were talking about. Same with "Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps" and "The Wolf of Wall Street". Even "Trading Places" lost me with the whole orange juice trading bit at the end.

I feel like it'll be just my luck that I'll spend the time to heavily research Company X, see it as a good company to invest in, invest in Company X, feel like I've finally earned the chance to relax and focus on my actual passions in life, then, while I'm distracted by things I actually care about, Company X will have been exposed as inflating their numbers, their Founder/CEO will get busted for molesting children or something and jump out of the 20th floor penthouse he has barricaded himself inside of to hide from the cops, everyone else paying attention will all sell sell sell and I'll be the last dumbo still hanging on to Company X's worthless stock when I finally take a look at Yahoo.

Really the main reason I don't play the stock market beyond putting a portion of my income into my 401k in some sort of generic, standard fund which I never look at but which evidently exists...is that it seems so time consuming.

I don't even know if "fund" is the appropriate term for where my money goes; my employer matches it to a certain amount, then I put in a few more percentage points of my income...and it just goes...someplace. I've left three jobs, all where I did this same process and never checked my portfolio. My tax advisor says it's not a problem: I keep the paperwork the financing firms send me so I should be able to access it when I'm ready.

I like money, but I want to unplug, and stay unplugged. I feel like my time on earth is limited, and getting more limited with each passing day. Bonds, dividends, indexes: why would I want to spend any time learning about any of this shit? At least when I buy a pair of Stevie Williams DCs, I get to put them on and wear them.

But everyone is telling me that I need to be more hands-on with my 401k/stock portfolio because I can grow it handidly for the future.

So I ask you, is there hope for me yet?
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2024, 05:23:13 AM »
Honest questions:

Do the folks here who actively invest feel comfortable taking a week or two of? Like, can you go on vacation somewhere -- Acapulco, the Netherlands, wherever -- without checking your portfolio or without paying attention to the financial news? Do you even want to unplug? How do you not let this rule your life?

Anyone loathe the idea of beginning to trade stocks as much as I loathe it, get into it and actually enjoy it?

I'm a wordsmith, an artiste, someone who creates; I'm definitely not a numbers-guy. I mean, I use my calculator and keep a litte cheat sheet in my wallet to ensure I pay the correct tip whenever I eat out (I need absolute silence and have to run the numbers three times to ensure I got it right).

When I gamble, I like to play poker, a game of skill, where I can bluff and psyche out my opponents. I tried Blackjack one time, didn't know how to play, hit when I should have stayed, stayed when I should hit, and everyone at the table got mad at me and pressured me to leave (I had lost my money by that point anyways).

This stock market shit seems like easy money...well, money that I don't actually have to do any real work for. I don't create anything; I'm just making money off of the work and decisions of others. And, the scariest part, it's money that can be taken away from me at the drop of a hat, for seemingly no reason.

I bought a copy of that movie "The Big Short". I didn't even understand what the hell they were talking about. Same with "Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps" and "The Wolf of Wall Street". Even "Trading Places" lost me with the whole orange juice trading bit at the end.

I feel like it'll be just my luck that I'll spend the time to heavily research Company X, see it as a good company to invest in, invest in Company X, feel like I've finally earned the chance to relax and focus on my actual passions in life, then, while I'm distracted by things I actually care about, Company X will have been exposed as inflating their numbers, their Founder/CEO will get busted for molesting children or something and jump out of the 20th floor penthouse he has barricaded himself inside of to hide from the cops, everyone else paying attention will all sell sell sell and I'll be the last dumbo still hanging on to Company X's worthless stock when I finally take a look at Yahoo.

Really the main reason I don't play the stock market beyond putting a portion of my income into my 401k in some sort of generic, standard fund which I never look at but which evidently exists...is that it seems so time consuming.

I don't even know if "fund" is the appropriate term for where my money goes; my employer matches it to a certain amount, then I put in a few more percentage points of my income...and it just goes...someplace. I've left three jobs, all where I did this same process and never checked my portfolio. My tax advisor says it's not a problem: I keep the paperwork the financing firms send me so I should be able to access it when I'm ready.

I like money, but I want to unplug, and stay unplugged. I feel like my time on earth is limited, and getting more limited with each passing day. Bonds, dividends, indexes: why would I want to spend any time learning about any of this shit? At least when I buy a pair of Stevie Williams DCs, I get to put them on and wear them.

But everyone is telling me that I need to be more hands-on with my 401k/stock portfolio because I can grow it handidly for the future.

my bro is way more into this than I am and I asked him one day "so why wouldnt I invest everything into 1 fully diversified fund" and he replied "no thats absolutely what you should do".

I know hes not a popular guy, but before Martin shrkeli went to jail, he put up a series of videos on YouTube talking about how to analyze a company, discount cash flows, and all that.  he made it a point to say "you are just one person doing this in your free time.  there are companies of people all analyzing a single company or sector".  his point was, if there is any advantage you think youll find by analyzing this company, someone else already has found it.

as for having the ability to unplug, they say you shouldn't get into an investment without an exit strategy.  so, if you know youre going to be unplugged and youre holding something that you might want to sell during that time, you can use something like a limit order (there are other order types) but it says "when the price reaches this threshold buy more/sell what I have" (depending on what your objective is).

I would bet your 401k is a target date fund meaning the closer you get to your retirement (the target date), itll rebalance from more risky assets (stock) to something less risky but more stable returns (bonds).

im by no means a financial advisor, and this isnt financial advice, and maybe I misread what you wrote, but if you have 3 different 401ks out there, you might want to consider combining them into 1 (if youre getting on average 6%, youd want this to compound on the largest sum of money to get the greatest returns).  be sure to look out for tax implications if you move this stuff (if its tax deferred and you move it into a Roth, youll have to pay taxes on it)

G raham

• Rep: -49
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2024, 06:10:04 AM »
bitcoins going to 10 million x
Well guys, there's nothing better than getting out there and skateboarding. - Shane O'Neill.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2024, 06:15:04 AM »
My buddy messaged the group chat yesterday (dunno how into stocks he is but he’s a doctor who eats tons of shrooms), and said he got “insider info” that cocoa crops on the Ivory Coast got destroyed and the cocoa market is about to crash.  Do with that what you will.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1066
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2024, 06:46:34 AM »
Remember that past success is not a future predictor.

My advice is feed your 401K with a mutual fund that resembles the S and P 500. Since most of you will be working for at least another 30 years don’t even think or look at the gains or losses.

I made the mistake of being too conservative in my 401K investing and diversified too much. Bonds have yielded very low returns while stocks have continued to grow at a steady pace over the last 20+ years of my work life.

Look at it this way, the powers that be are too corrupt to allow the stock market to fail. It would be the Great Depression all over again and that event is almost 100 years old.

Disclaimer: I know almost nothing about investing but I have been able to maintain 7% growth in my 401K in the past 10 years. The S and P 500 has had a 11% annual rate of return in that same period.

addie pray

• Rep: -526
  • u a whole goofy
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2024, 07:12:04 AM »
Honest questions:

hell mf no there's no hope for ur dumbass

op trade commodities, don't be a dumb fuk chasing stock tickers

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2024, 09:55:48 AM »
ok I walked into that one 🤣
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"