Author Topic: LGBTQ Skateboarding CNN Article  (Read 26249 times)

Pigeon

Re: LGBTQ Skateboarding CNN Article
« Reply #150 on: July 03, 2018, 09:53:42 AM »
Does anyone else feel like they missed the memo with the LBGTQ?  Maybe as a cis male who always assumed he paid black women for their time, it went over my head. :-\
Download Beyonce’s music from iTunes. Don’t torrent it.

Heavy Lurk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
« Reply #151 on: July 03, 2018, 11:07:39 AM »
I only discriminate based on your approach to nose grinds, do you prefer going straight on, or do them proper and go from the side?

If you're trying to ban, or shame people for showing up to a public park because they don't fit into your group identity, well then I can't get behind that, and you're creating enemies where you could be making allies.

"Almost every time I go to the skate park, people are so shocked to see a girl that skates," she told CNN. I don't believe you, and i'm not saying that to discredit this person, i just feel like they needed something to say to CNN that would be quote worthy. Has anyone seen this firsthand? I mostly feel indifference to the majority of people at the skatepark who I don't know. Is this what people mean when they say they don't feel accepted? If it is, here is my advice to you, if you're showing up to a park, and the same locals are there all the time, you're going to have to be the one to make the effort to being, "accepted". Unless of course you rip, and then it's a lot easier to gain the respect of your peers.

I do like the aspect of giving all your old stuff to kids trying to get into skating who don't have the means to get it for themselves since skateboarding is the best escape from the drudgery of existence.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3330
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #152 on: July 03, 2018, 11:18:52 AM »
I only discriminate based on your approach to nose grinds, do you prefer going straight on, or do them proper and go from the side?

If you're trying to ban, or shame people for showing up to a public park because they don't fit into your group identity, well then I can't get behind that, and you're creating enemies where you could be making allies.

"Almost every time I go to the skate park, people are so shocked to see a girl that skates," she told CNN. I don't believe you, and i'm not saying that to discredit this person, i just feel like they needed something to say to CNN that would be quote worthy. Has anyone seen this firsthand? I mostly feel indifference to the majority of people at the skatepark who I don't know. Is this what people mean when they say they don't feel accepted? If it is, here is my advice to you, if you're showing up to a park, and the same locals are there all the time, you're going to have to be the one to make the effort to being, "accepted". Unless of course you rip, and then it's a lot easier to gain the respect of your peers.

I do like the aspect of giving all your old stuff to kids trying to get into skating who don't have the means to get it for themselves since skateboarding is the best escape from the drudgery of existence.

I know that personally when I see a girl skater I scream and hold my hand to my throat, my eyes bulging out, fanning myself with my other hand, my throat unable to form words. Everybody else is doing the same thing too.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #153 on: July 03, 2018, 11:44:20 AM »
Okay the nosegrind comparison brings it back to the real issue: What, if anything, are they doing on ledges?

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #154 on: July 03, 2018, 11:46:54 AM »

Yeah, feel like a lot of this was based on misinterpreting the normal awkwardness of a beginner going to skateparks  as vibing for your gender or sexuality. And it's pretty understandable that one would think so if they're being paranoid about that stuff in the first place. It's hard for a beginner to realize why they're getting shitty looks when practicing stationary ollies at the wrong place.

These types of groups popping up is a good thing if they're felt necessary. Excluding the people you're trying to get included by is dumb but who cares.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3330
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #155 on: July 03, 2018, 12:00:14 PM »
Okay the nosegrind comparison brings it back to the real issue: What, if anything, are they doing on ledges?

Homosexuals and women chomp ledges like ducks chomp water.

opinionated bastard

• Rep: -179
« Reply #156 on: July 03, 2018, 12:09:56 PM »
They only produced this article because LGBTQ is the flavor of the month/year and at the time BA was highlighted so they attempted to be relevant, forget about this article.

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #157 on: July 03, 2018, 12:20:58 PM »
Gobbing mad salad grinds, of course.

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #158 on: July 03, 2018, 01:30:33 PM »

Except when the locals suck and feel the need to gatekeep and vibe out anyone who don't fit into their image. The locals at my local park spend 80% of the time smoking and drinking while taking up space sitting on the ledge and 20% of the time trying to backside flip the pyramid and not come even remotely close to landing it. They also love to leave their trash everywhere and throw old tv's into the bowl because they won't/can't skate it. Not every local at your local park deserves respect.

Just hit the streets. It's better.