Author Topic: boards, trucks, and wheels that have taken a shit on you.....  (Read 4605 times)

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
Re: boards, trucks, and wheels that have taken a shit on you.....
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2020, 10:00:45 AM »
The only set of Bronsons I ever got (by necessity, no reds in the shop) easily outlasted several sets of reds I bought after. Wouldn't expect it to happen again because that particular set of bearings was just weirdly durable, but it figures.

I too have only had good experiences with them. Only ever had the G3s though, can’t speak to the G2s.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2020, 10:24:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Bones bushings.
There was a period of time a handful of years back where I had like five pairs of vans in a row where the sole detached from the shoe when there was still a bunch of life left in the shoe. Don’t get that problem much anymore thankfully but I’ll still have that happen on a pair here n there.
Indy abec 7; had two sets in a row where the cages just shattered on me one by one in like a months time or less.
Jessup grip when they had all those defective sheets that would just crack away at the edges and leave horrible white crack marks.
[close]
Thats depressing. I am using 4-5 sessions into my first pair of bones bushings now in my Venture 5.6s I love them so much, it would be catastrophic if they fell apart.  :-\
[close]

Ok.... I guess I just don't understand... What's the big difference with the bones bushings ?
I just got 5.2s and I love them. I think they turn great. What more do the bones offer?
I always run stock bushings in 5.0 and 5.2 but on 5.6 and up Ventures I put bones in them. For me they turn better/quicker but still keep the Venture "stability" when I'm setting up for tricks, manual stuff, ect. Also I am almost 190 lbs. and prefer medium loose, so maybe that has something to do with it. I would think for lighter people stock bushings would be just fine at any looseness.

Mongoloid

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2020, 10:30:21 AM »
I made the mistake of buying board brand wheels (girl), and I’ll never repeat that mistake ever again.

Back in the day I made the mistake of trying Silver trucks when they first came out. Broke skating a 4 stair, and broke 2 sets of Hurricanes back in the day skating flat.

I’m hot garbage now, so I haven’t broke anything in a minute.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2020, 10:57:45 AM »
Expand Quote
One of my current ventures should have failed inspection. It has two pretty heavy flaws. The other doesn't slip anymore.
My Skating has improved and the weather has warmed. Axles are less likely to move? Landing my flip tricks more often?
[close]
idk what's up with that, same experience with my pair. been skating them to finish off the rest of the 8.25s I have left and haven't had the issues I had with them last time I skated them. same pair too.

I totally forgotten i had put epoxy on the axles and re centered them. That's why the one is fixed.

The one that's funked all the way has these issues...

(Huge rant about how pathetic I feel)

I'm fucking wasted I'm very unhappy and I don't know why. It's raining too hard to roll out my hate. I had surgery but I could hill like this a few times.

Who knows one could die of infection at any moment. Got to get it while you can and a hill would help me live with my pain. Thank the dark lord my phone's about to die. Black out postings bad.

I luv you slap
(A)rs(E) bug lowwlife
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Skart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2020, 12:36:14 PM »
Food and water man

Do your best to level out
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

The3Bobbys

• Rep: -3
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2020, 01:41:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Bones bushings.
There was a period of time a handful of years back where I had like five pairs of vans in a row where the sole detached from the shoe when there was still a bunch of life left in the shoe. Don’t get that problem much anymore thankfully but I’ll still have that happen on a pair here n there.
Indy abec 7; had two sets in a row where the cages just shattered on me one by one in like a months time or less.
Jessup grip when they had all those defective sheets that would just crack away at the edges and leave horrible white crack marks.
[close]
Thats depressing. I am using 4-5 sessions into my first pair of bones bushings now in my Venture 5.6s I love them so much, it would be catastrophic if they fell apart.  :-\
[close]

Ok.... I guess I just don't understand... What's the big difference with the bones bushings ?
I just got 5.2s and I love them. I think they turn great. What more do the bones offer?
[close]
I always run stock bushings in 5.0 and 5.2 but on 5.6 and up Ventures I put bones in them. For me they turn better/quicker but still keep the Venture "stability" when I'm setting up for tricks, manual stuff, ect. Also I am almost 190 lbs. and prefer medium loose, so maybe that has something to do with it. I would think for lighter people stock bushings would be just fine at any looseness.

Gotcha cheers man

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2020, 02:44:53 PM »
Expand Quote
The only set of Bronsons I ever got (by necessity, no reds in the shop) easily outlasted several sets of reds I bought after. Wouldn't expect it to happen again because that particular set of bearings was just weirdly durable, but it figures.
[close]

I too have only had good experiences with them. Only ever had the G3s though, can’t speak to the G2s.

Even funnier, since aren't those the "shieldless" ones that would break in a single session for tons of people?  I got
G2s, still have them over a year later, and they still spin forever and go "tssssssssssssssssssssss" with some speed cream.  Broken probably three sets each of standard Reds and (supposedly extra tough) Big Balls in that time.

Honestly, I have no reason to disbelieve the Bronson hate from anyone else, but I could just as easily point to my luck with Reds over the last couple years as proof that they are hot trash.  Even then, that's likely broadly true of all bearings besides Swiss, I would guess. 

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2020, 04:02:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Even funnier, since aren't those the "shieldless" ones that would break in a single session for tons of people?  I got
G2s, still have them over a year later, and they still spin forever and go "tssssssssssssssssssssss" with some speed cream.  Broken probably three sets each of standard Reds and (supposedly extra tough) Big Balls in that time.

Honestly, I have no reason to disbelieve the Bronson hate from anyone else, but I could just as easily point to my luck with Reds over the last couple years as proof that they are hot trash.  Even then, that's likely broadly true of all bearings besides Swiss, I would guess.
"tssssssssssssssssssssss"                                              :)

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2020, 06:13:22 AM »
Expand Quote
No Bronson stories?
[close]

worst bearings I’ve ever had. went through two sets in a month once...never again.
Worst pieces of shit ever. I tried done g3 like 2 years ago. They lasted me 3 sessions and then that little black metal ring bended inside wise. Took all shields out, skated then 1 more time and they all exploded.
This is how I learnt to not betray Bones.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2020, 08:04:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
No Bronson stories?
[close]

worst bearings I’ve ever had. went through two sets in a month once...never again.
[close]
Worst pieces of shit ever. I tried done g3 like 2 years ago. They lasted me 3 sessions and then that little black metal ring bended inside wise. Took all shields out, skated then 1 more time and they all exploded.
This is how I learnt to not betray Bones.
I saw mine +  2 other sets break in less than two months, skating INDOORS. G3’s, cages broke, I got 5/8 cages broken before I tossed ’em. No good imo, stick with Bones Swiss.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2020, 05:32:22 PM »
Hearing these Bronson stories reminds me of Lucky back in the day. I exploded so many of those just doing ollies over manholes in my parents neighborhood growing up.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2020, 05:55:42 PM »
GX1000 board was the worst board i've ever had. I skated it an hour and a half, went home, and set up an old board. It's been in my closet for over a year and it pisses me off everytime I see it.

Ricta wheels. I fucking despise Ricta wheels. Never had a wheel so slippery and prone to flat spots. The sound they make also sucks. Walmart-ass wheels.

Vans shoes. Every pair of Vans shoes i've bought after 2012 was terrible. Side panels tearing, soles coming apart just walking, weird creases, inconsistent sizing/fit and more. I will never buy another pair of Vans, I don't care if they've gotten better.

Reflex bearings. Doubt they still exist, but I destroyed 4 bearings in one session. Always keep spare bearings in your car, boys and girls. Had a similar experience with Speed Demons and Lucky.

The only Krooked board I've ever had (2012 Mike Anderson) chipped horribly. It felt real dry and was a complete mess after about 10 days..

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2020, 06:54:18 PM »
Hearing these Bronson stories reminds me of Lucky back in the day. I exploded so many of those just doing ollies over manholes in my parents neighborhood growing up.
haha. Have a crazy old set of wheels with speed demons still. And black panthers.. all mismatched.  Can’t say I ever exploded a bearing. Maybe internally bc they’ve def gone to shit.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2020, 07:14:23 PM »
Spitfire chargers 80a

I’ve had like three or four sets of these and they have all have had some weird deforming problems. The core sunk into the wheel on the last two sets I had.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2020, 07:15:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
haha. Have a crazy old set of wheels with speed demons still. And black panthers.. all mismatched.  Can’t say I ever exploded a bearing. Maybe internally bc they’ve def gone to shit.

Man, I totally forgot about black panthers! I used to love those. Lucky were definitely the worst of the worst, but they had green shields and matched the bushings in my ventures so I was (unfortunately) about them.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2020, 08:40:08 PM »
Both of these happened early 2000s

Destructo trucks - broken kingpin on a manual pad. I’m not a big cunt

Those spitfires with the core and the rims.
Multiple sets down to the rim in a week
Only skated stf after that, came back when f4 came out
listen to cosmic psychos

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2020, 10:06:30 PM »
Ricta AirCores. The geniuses at Ricta made a hollow wheel and were surprised when every set fell apart within a week

Indy stage 9’s and the broken baseplate issue. The axles slipped and bent like crazy too. I switched to Thunders in 2005 because every pair I had were unskateable after a few months

True Love Collective; man what a shitshow and an embarrassment. I’m not sure who here remembers that company, but a few of us here from the message board were involved with it at one time. This was before we found out the owner fucked over shops, woodshops, wheel factories, artists, Traffic/Ricky Oyola, Landscape/Fos, and even the Breast Cancer Foundation at one point. Almost everyone involved collectively quit the same week. Anyways during one of the many woodshop changes I was given a board so badly made that the baseplate section of the tail broke out. There was an almost perfect rectangular hole in the deck where your truck would go

Exp1 Interlock boards were Kayos foray into technology boards. They used a mounting system where the bolt holes were threaded and you screwed in special bolts into the bottom of the deck. The bolts would rattle themselves loose, sometimes even falling completely off
fuck you bama

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2153
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2020, 10:11:07 PM »
Agree 100%: Lucky was chilled turd. Sadly, they were the only set of bearings I could get for free, so I was changing them out, 1 here, another there, about every other day. Eventually I got tired of keeping spare bearings on my person constantly & started paying for Bones Swiss, despite the free Luckys.
My person was much happier & so was I.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2020, 02:08:20 PM »
Spitfire wheels. Some cored type of wheel where the urethane separated from the core while skating them not too long after getting them. Fucking sucked and was a waste of my parents' money when I was 14.

Ricta wheels 11 years ago. Almost immediately flat spotted after breaking them in. Still skated them though.

Any Royal truck I had following Fully Flared over 11 years ago. Base plates cracked on every pair.

Thunder Hollow lights around 12 years ago. Kingpin snapped and bushings blew up.

Silver trucks in 2008. I know. I know. Doomed from the start but the kingpins snapped on them and they replaced them and then the kingpins snapped again! 😡 Went back to Thunder before seeing the light of Independent for my type of skating.

Plan B board back in 2008. Cracked the space across the bolts on my back truck after skating it for 3 days on a 2 ft drop at my local skate park. Haven't had a Plan B since.

Bronsons 4-5 years ago. Straight up blew up on me and seized up. Never had a pair since. Even SJ had better bearings, for what it's worth.

Any Allen key hardware. Always lost those damn bolts while skating. Never have that issue with Phillips.

I've had a good amount of gear just shit the bed on me from 2007-2011 but I've found most reliability in Indy Trucks, Bones STF wheels, DLX wood, and Bones Bearings since then.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 02:10:46 PM by DarkPools »
Super Champion Fun Zone

thelonelynow

« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2020, 02:36:58 PM »
I had a Spitfire 80HD Charger's urethane completely de-glove (correct term?) from the hard plastic core while doing a turn at very high speed. This lead to a wonderful shoulder injury. The wheel was only like a month old and had a couple small cuts and chunks in it from rock strikes or from going over sewer grates but no serious damage. Never have I seen a wheel come completely apart like that. No more soft Spitfire wheels for me.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2020, 12:14:45 PM »
I had a Spitfire 80HD Charger's urethane completely de-glove (correct term?) from the hard plastic core while doing a turn at very high speed. This lead to a wonderful shoulder injury. The wheel was only like a month old and had a couple small cuts and chunks in it from rock strikes or from going over sewer grates but no serious damage. Never have I seen a wheel come completely apart like that. No more soft Spitfire wheels for me.
This happened to me but they disintegrated I was super bummed.........

Spitfire wheels. Some cored type of wheel where the urethane separated from the core while skating them not too long after getting them. Fucking sucked and was a waste of my parents' money when I was 14.

Ricta wheels 11 years ago. Almost immediately flat spotted after breaking them in. Still skated them though.

Any Royal truck I had following Fully Flared over 11 years ago. Base plates cracked on every pair.

Thunder Hollow lights around 12 years ago. Kingpin snapped and bushings blew up.

Silver trucks in 2008. I know. I know. Doomed from the start but the kingpins snapped on them and they replaced them and then the kingpins snapped again! 😡 Went back to Thunder before seeing the light of Independent for my type of skating.

Plan B board back in 2008. Cracked the space across the bolts on my back truck after skating it for 3 days on a 2 ft drop at my local skate park. Haven't had a Plan B since.

Bronsons 4-5 years ago. Straight up blew up on me and seized up. Never had a pair since. Even SJ had better bearings, for what it's worth.

Any Allen key hardware. Always lost those damn bolts while skating. Never have that issue with Phillips.

I've had a good amount of gear just shit the bed on me from 2007-2011 but I've found most reliability in Indy Trucks, Bones STF wheels, DLX wood, and Bones Bearings since then.
Never had Bronsons seize up but my biggest issue definitely was the stage 9's debacle I would just switch out baseplates of homies didn't matter as long as it was Indy's.

Shake Junt that dog shit griptape sucked not tacky enough, along with Primitive nothing worse then shitty grip that rubs off after a few sessions. 

Countless board brands I gladly supported but just never met my needs as a hefty dude, Real made a quality deck I think is rad, so if I were to really put a nail on the coffin of what brands I trust Real, Thunder, Indy, Bronsons, Bones and Spitfire F-4's.
Dueces Bitch's

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2020, 06:58:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]
Never had Bronsons seize up but my biggest issue definitely was the stage 9's debacle I would just switch out baseplates of homies didn't matter as long as it was Indy's.

Shake Junt that dog shit griptape sucked not tacky enough, along with Primitive nothing worse then shitty grip that rubs off after a few sessions. 

Countless board brands I gladly supported but just never met my needs as a hefty dude, Real made a quality deck I think is rad, so if I were to really put a nail on the coffin of what brands I trust Real, Thunder, Indy, Bronsons, Bones and Spitfire F-4's.
Maybe I got unlucky since it was an early pair of Bronsons not too long after they launched. Maybe they've gotten better since then?

Yeah, I've had SJ a couple times in a pinch since Grizzly and Jessup are not my jam when Mob is out of stock. I thought it was okay but I wouldn't skate it again.

A lot of brands actually make decent boards but not every deck is designed for taller and/or 200lb + people. :/ Real has been reliable for me, too. I wanted to love this Heavyweights deck i had but the WB was 14.6 or 14.73 or something and was too long for me (I like 14.25-14.5) so I passed it on to my 6'4" friend and he enjoyed the deck a lot being a lanky dude. Haha
Super Champion Fun Zone

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2020, 11:21:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

sad how SJ grip looks tackier than it really is
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2020, 09:00:55 AM »
Bought a pair of Kirchart 1s that my shop had found in storage and they disintegrated within 30 minutes of my Session. Same with another pair of DCs I got on clearance last year too, it was for the better I was not feeling that cupsole. Shoes don't last here in the tropics.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2020, 10:19:18 AM »
quasi boards.
good come sausage

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2020, 04:54:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Maybe I got unlucky since it was an early pair of Bronsons not too long after they launched. Maybe they've gotten better since then?

Yeah, I've had SJ a couple times in a pinch since Grizzly and Jessup are not my jam when Mob is out of stock. I thought it was okay but I wouldn't skate it again.

A lot of brands actually make decent boards but not every deck is designed for taller and/or 200lb + people. :/ Real has been reliable for me, too. I wanted to love this Heavyweights deck i had but the WB was 14.6 or 14.73 or something and was too long for me (I like 14.25-14.5) so I passed it on to my 6'4" friend and he enjoyed the deck a lot being a lanky dude. Haha
Yeah I thought I was going not like the heavyweights deck wheelbase either as it's a but longer than I'm used to and the nose and tail are mellow especially the 8.38" to 8.5" but as long as you give it time you'll figure out your niché for them.

Been on a roll with fs shuv variations and they've taken a beating whereas any other board would have broke. If you can stomach a deck being slightly heavier than average and sticking with it till they break HW decks are the Jane and moderately priced as opposed to Powell flight decks or SC VX decks.

In summation to have a deck that lasts longer then your average deck is blessing especially for us big boy's plus breaking board's kinda sucks as the walk home is going to be fucked
Dueces Bitch's

Baswell Cerry

• Rep: 0
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2020, 05:08:49 PM »
The only, and last, foundation board  i bought had a tail and nose at such a weird angle that the entire top ply delaminated on me. The tail length was also an inch shorter than I've ever seen.  Lasted two weeks was so bummed. Shout out to Cole Wilson tho sick graphic.
[Applause]

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2020, 09:50:55 PM »
Orbs 99a wheels
fucking terrible

a maxallure board
so shit