Author Topic: Egg Shaped Boards  (Read 220813 times)

cky enthusiast

Re: Egg Shaped Boards
« Reply #1710 on: April 29, 2022, 07:02:47 PM »

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #1711 on: April 30, 2022, 05:47:35 AM »
Alright, I'll bite. What are the benefits of an egg shaped board? Seems like it would just get in the way and be awkward with the variable width.

What do you guys think the pros and cons are?
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

intendedreceivers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #1712 on: April 30, 2022, 08:04:00 AM »
Alright, I'll bite. What are the benefits of an egg shaped board? Seems like it would just get in the way and be awkward with the variable width.

Never rode one until recently, but I think the biggest appeal is having the wide middle to stand on and set your feet up. It feels like a big, stable boat board in that regard, but the small nose/tail make it feel lighter, slimmer, more nimble. Generally speaking, of course.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1713 on: April 30, 2022, 09:18:20 AM »

They’re just fun. They make great slappy set ups, it feels like a little surfboard under your feet, you can really lean into carves. I feel like the big midsection helps me stay on when I probably shouldn’t have landed something.

Plus, at this point I’m sort of past progressing and learning more tech/difficult stuff so it’s fun to pull out some different shapes. I can still do all my basics on an egg, it’s sort of like cross training.

That being said, the smaller nose does mess with my kickflip flick a little bit. A little less consistent on those but I’m not trying to impress anybody.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1714 on: May 02, 2022, 06:34:16 AM »
indy 159 standos with spit 99a 58’s sittin on  1/8 real 3-ply. i skate a lot of everything living in a major city but am moving somewhere where the only skating is a grindline park and whatever street stuff i can liberate so this kinda covers all bases. the short wheelbase took a little to get used to but now i love it, esp skating to work and the like

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1715 on: May 02, 2022, 07:29:01 AM »
I go between an egg shaped WKND and my regular setup 8.18.  The weekend board has a 13.75 WB I believe.  It’s fun for tre flips etc. interesting enough, I tend to land equally the same tricks on the wide board.   Some days I think it feels snappier.  It’s 8.875 width.  I out the REAL wood risers.  54mm Louie Lopez Spitfires w venture 6.1. Super small tail and ridiculous nose on it. 

Tre flips are the benefit of riding it?
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #1716 on: May 02, 2022, 08:31:41 PM »

I have mine as a cruiser/filmer board but occasionally rock it to do "normal" skating. I feel the benefits are that it has the benefits of a wider board (more stable roomier to land shit on and skate transition) with also having the benefits of the tapered nose and tail (still really easy to do flip tricks just a little different). In general as stated before they are just fun as fuck and look sick too.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
« Reply #1717 on: May 03, 2022, 05:27:12 AM »
Setting up this bad boy when I get off work today

Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

unregisteredhypercam2

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1718 on: May 03, 2022, 12:10:36 PM »
I have been riding the curb killer 2 and I honestly don't understand what this slappy setup thing is about. I much prefer my previous 8.5 popsicle for doing slappys and have actually gotten worse at them since starting to use this board. however i really like the size and weight for flip tricks and skating flat in general. i can do pop shuvits 3 times higher and it feels so stable it is insane. anything flip related requires more force but feels more satisfying.

i am trying to figure out what deck to go with next that will work with Ace AF1 77. Any ideas?

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #1719 on: May 03, 2022, 01:17:07 PM »
I have been riding the curb killer 2 and I honestly don't understand what this slappy setup thing is about. I much prefer my previous 8.5 popsicle for doing slappys and have actually gotten worse at them since starting to use this board. however i really like the size and weight for flip tricks and skating flat in general. i can do pop shuvits 3 times higher and it feels so stable it is insane. anything flip related requires more force but feels more satisfying.

i am trying to figure out what deck to go with next that will work with Ace AF1 77. Any ideas?

Imo you should just use whatever setup you feel most comfortable on for slappys. When I moved up to Ace 77s I could feel my grinds getting worse until I finally got used to the extra width. Still prefer decks around 9 inch for all different kinds of skating. Much prefer the grind of my indy 159s over the 77s. After adjusting I'm able to use all my decks ranging from 8.5 to 10 inch for slappys and dedicated slappy setups are but a novelty imo. It's cool if you wanna skate curbs and go crazy with 215s and 40mm wheels but at the end of the day it isn't necessary to do them properly.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #1720 on: May 05, 2022, 09:50:33 AM »
I'm gonna grab I grabbed one of the 9.4" Heroin El Huevo eggs.  What size Aces would you run on that?  AF1 66s?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 10:02:56 AM by Landmine »

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1721 on: May 05, 2022, 10:29:18 AM »
I'm gonna grab I grabbed one of the 9.4" Heroin El Huevo eggs.  What size Aces would you run on that?  AF1 66s?

Af1 66’s or classic 55’s my guy

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #1722 on: May 05, 2022, 10:34:04 AM »

I snagged one as well from Cowtown.  If anybody missed these in the drop, there are a bunch of shops online that have them ATM (tactics, socal, 35th ave and more)

Landmine

« Reply #1723 on: May 05, 2022, 10:49:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Af1 66’s or classic 55’s my guy

Heroin's comment on IG: "if it’s AF1’s it’d have to be 66 or 77’s. I’d use the classic 66’s"

Sounds like I'm grabbing some AF1 66s

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1724 on: May 05, 2022, 11:40:40 AM »
funny, i have some ace classic 66s on a bigger egg (the 10" curb killer 2) and i think they fit pretty nicely. i'm currently riding a 9.5" symmetrical razor egg on some ace 55 classics and i think they fit pretty well. maybe i like a little bit more magic carpet than yall do.

on the topic of the 9.5" egg, this is the longest i've spent with an egg as my daily driver, and i'm definitely enjoying it ok, but at like 32.5" long and 14.5" wb i wish it was slightly shorter. shit could be turnier and lighter. oh well, its still fun. fos if you happen to read this... know that there is at least one person in the world who would be PSYCHED on a 14.25wb 31" long 9.5" egg

im almost considering hitting up one of those like artisan/handmade deck guys on insta just to get a shape made to these dims and see how it works

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #1725 on: May 05, 2022, 11:48:42 AM »
Setting up this bad boy when I get off work today

siiiick

Landmine

« Reply #1726 on: May 05, 2022, 12:02:20 PM »
funny, i have some ace classic 66s on a bigger egg (the 10" curb killer 2) and i think they fit pretty nicely. i'm currently riding a 9.5" symmetrical razor egg on some ace 55 classics and i think they fit pretty well. maybe i like a little bit more magic carpet than yall do.

on the topic of the 9.5" egg, this is the longest i've spent with an egg as my daily driver, and i'm definitely enjoying it ok, but at like 32.5" long and 14.5" wb i wish it was slightly shorter. shit could be turnier and lighter. oh well, its still fun. fos if you happen to read this... know that there is at least one person in the world who would be PSYCHED on a 14.25wb 31" long 9.5" egg

im almost considering hitting up one of those like artisan/handmade deck guys on insta just to get a shape made to these dims and see how it works

If the 66s are too tucked I have some 77s in the bin, so I can do my favorite thing and tinker obsessively over small details instead of getting better at skating.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1727 on: May 05, 2022, 01:55:00 PM »

Slick
Width: 8.75"
Length: 31.5"
Wheelbase: 14.25"
Nose: 6.75"
Tail: 6.375"

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #1728 on: May 05, 2022, 02:35:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If the 66s are too tucked I have some 77s in the bin, so I can do my favorite thing and tinker obsessively over small details instead of getting better at skating.
i have 66s on my 9.5" egg and the axles stick out slightly, 77s would just be wacky on that size

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1729 on: May 05, 2022, 03:57:43 PM »

Slick

Please drop a link, that’s a straight homage to the Kelch flyer deck and I fucking need it.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
« Reply #1730 on: May 05, 2022, 04:12:04 PM »
Expand Quote

Slick
[close]

Please drop a link, that’s a straight homage to the Kelch flyer deck and I fucking need it.
thought the exact same thing, need some cash to hit my 'irresponsibility' account first
https://socalskateshop.com/Real-Mason-Silva-Visitors-Slick-Shaped-Skateboard-Deck-875x315.html

Landmine

« Reply #1731 on: May 05, 2022, 07:13:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
i have 66s on my 9.5" egg and the axles stick out slightly, 77s would just be wacky on that size

Good to know, thanks!

darkthrone

• Rep: 154
« Reply #1732 on: May 06, 2022, 01:44:54 AM »
Hmmm, I measured that 9.5 Symmetrical Razoregg as 32, not 32.5. WB is 14.25. Had two in a row and loved em, rode Ace Classic 66's on it and thought they worked great.
31 on a 9.5 Would be way too short I think. I'm riding a sample of shorter version of the Big Egg (9.125) at the moment, I made it 31.5 and gave it a 14.125 WB, feels loads shorter than the original. Not sure if it'll make production yet, or if it needs more tweaks.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #1733 on: May 06, 2022, 07:10:53 AM »
Hmmm, I measured that 9.5 Symmetrical Razoregg as 32, not 32.5. WB is 14.25. Had two in a row and loved em, rode Ace Classic 66's on it and thought they worked great.
31 on a 9.5 Would be way too short I think. I'm riding a sample of shorter version of the Big Egg (9.125) at the moment, I made it 31.5 and gave it a 14.125 WB, feels loads shorter than the original. Not sure if it'll make production yet, or if it needs more tweaks.

Expand Quote

[close]
Thanks for the response man, really appreciate it.

I don’t remember where I pulled those dimensions from but I guess they were wrong. I see it on the bbs site listed with the same dims you just posted. It’s weird tho because the thing definitely has a far less twitchy turn than the polar Dane 1s I frequently skate, which are supposedly 31.375” long and 14.125” wb. So when I read that the 9.5” egg’s wb was 14.5”, I found it easy to believe.

Anyway I know that the dims on a lot of boards, especially polar, tend to be slightly different irl than they are on paper. And I haven’t actually pulled out a tape measure myself, for any of these decks

But hey, if you decide to make a run of those shorter Big Egg decks, I will absolutely cop one. I appreciate what you’re doing and these boards are a lot of fun

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #1734 on: May 06, 2022, 03:22:45 PM »
Redrilled to 14.38
Venture 6.1 w/krux kingpins
Spitfire f4 57mm classic 99a
Quantum isotopes
Bender hardware
Mob

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #1735 on: May 06, 2022, 08:56:47 PM »
i
Redrilled to 14.38
Venture 6.1 w/krux kingpins
Spitfire f4 57mm classic 99a
Quantum isotopes
Bender hardware
Mob

Sick
Somehow I’ve never tried 6.1s, I can only imagine that the ollie would be excellent tho

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1736 on: May 06, 2022, 09:12:27 PM »
It’s really crazy how much better my skating is on a board with a longer, mellower tail. I had an 8.38 set up and all
My flip tricks felt off. I fight riding a bigger setup thinking the smaller board will magically enable me to do more tricks but it’s quite the opposite. Hopefully I learn someday and just stick with this.

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1737 on: May 06, 2022, 09:13:55 PM »
Venture is the truck I feel most consistent on but in tight spots the turn is just a little less than I want.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #1738 on: May 06, 2022, 10:30:26 PM »
It’s really crazy how much better my skating is on a board with a longer, mellower tail. I had an 8.38 set up and all
My flip tricks felt off. I fight riding a bigger setup thinking the smaller board will magically enable me to do more tricks but it’s quite the opposite. Hopefully I learn someday and just stick with this.

This is especially true for me with switch flips: easier on a bigger board.

Agree on Ventures.
For their ‘loose truck’ kit a conical boardside bushing might have helped a lot of people, maybe not. I used to occasionally do the bones bushing in ventures and got more turn for sure, but bones bushings are kinda not rad these days, and the truck also felt less stable so, back to mostly stock.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1739 on: May 07, 2022, 07:58:59 AM »

it's the magic of the Huffer.