Author Topic: Egg Shaped Boards  (Read 224908 times)

GBLange

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
Re: Egg Shaped Boards
« Reply #1020 on: September 12, 2021, 02:16:40 AM »
My skate shop has that primitive egg. 9.12 And while I know I won’t get the full use out of it. I still really want it. What should I do?

buy as many eggball boards as you can..

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #1021 on: September 18, 2021, 05:32:21 PM »
Expand Quote
My skate shop has that primitive egg. 9.12 And while I know I won’t get the full use out of it. I still really want it. What should I do?
[close]

buy as many eggball boards as you can..

I currently love the egg board. I don’t. Flippy things are rough because the extra weight of the whole setup, but everything else has been feeling really good

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #1022 on: September 18, 2021, 06:03:10 PM »
I have some 144(8.25’) indy’s that I’m not using. What would be the biggest egg I could ride on them?

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #1023 on: September 18, 2021, 07:03:41 PM »
I have some 144(8.25’) indy’s that I’m not using. What would be the biggest egg I could ride on them?

What sorta wheels are you thinking?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1024 on: September 18, 2021, 11:20:28 PM »

People have said it is roughly .25" to .5" difference in widest point to with over axles, so most likely an egg in the 8.5 to 8.75 width range would work well enough.

It also depends on where you like your trucks to sit in relation to the deck, so if you like a magic carpet ride, you can easily go for wider than 8.5 but if you want your wheels on the edge then a board that is not so wide might work better.

As asked by Nth syd bear, the wheels will also add width, if you had wider wheels, you could have a wider board.

I think I have seen the Enjoi Deedz 8.375 deck with 144s on it here before.

One here from the Setups thread (with 5.6 = 144 truck size):

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=10804.msg3440899;topicseen#msg3440899

In the Polar shapes thread, someone has the 8.75 with 149s on it, but I have seen people ride that with smaller trucks, three washers on the inside and normal wheels, which didn't look so out of place.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=112584.msg3614654#msg3614654

« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 11:34:32 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #1025 on: September 19, 2021, 07:34:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What sorta wheels are you thinking?
I was thinking about using 54mm conical fulls. I also have a set of 56mm 97a conical fulls.

Expand Quote
[close]

People have said it is roughly .25" to .5" difference in widest point to with over axles, so most likely an egg in the 8.5 to 8.75 width range would work well enough.

It also depends on where you like your trucks to sit in relation to the deck, so if you like a magic carpet ride, you can easily go for wider than 8.5 but if you want your wheels on the edge then a board that is not so wide might work better.

As asked by Nth syd bear, the wheels will also add width, if you had wider wheels, you could have a wider board.

I think I have seen the Enjoi Deedz 8.375 deck with 144s on it here before.

One here from the Setups thread (with 5.6 = 144 truck size):

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=10804.msg3440899;topicseen#msg3440899

In the Polar shapes thread, someone has the 8.75 with 149s on it, but I have seen people ride that with smaller trucks, three washers on the inside and normal wheels, which didn't look so out of place.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=112584.msg3614654#msg3614654

Thanks for the help!
I’m looking at this polar deck right now
https://upriseskateboards.com/products/aaron-herrington-chain-smoker-deck-wheel-wells-p9-8-75?variant=40045327679677

What’s up with the concave on polar decks?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1026 on: September 19, 2021, 04:37:09 PM »

Thanks for the help!
I’m looking at this polar deck right now
https://upriseskateboards.com/products/aaron-herrington-chain-smoker-deck-wheel-wells-p9-8-75?variant=40045327679677

What’s up with the concave on polar decks?

Check the Polar shapes thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=112584.450

P9 as per the Polar thread, has 8.5 over the front and 8.25 over the back so it would work easily enough.

As for the concave, pretty standard for BBS wood, normal medium concave feeling on the boards.

You can look at the Woodshop thread for other boards from BBS if you are not sure:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=116070.0

Personally, I feel like this board / trucks / wheels combo would be pretty good to skate, given they are the same brands I usually ride, if not Polar specifically, at least the wood (even though I do have Polar boards set up in my ride pool).

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #1027 on: September 20, 2021, 08:24:23 AM »
Just stumbled upon this guy for anyone looking for a smaller egg. Reminds me of the anti hero black widow.

ATM 8.5

Width: 8.5"
Length: 32.25"
Wheelbase: 14.5"
Nose: 7.125"
Tail: 6.75"

Can be found here: https://socalskateshop.com/ATM-Click-Suns-Skateboard-Deck-Natural-Stain-85x3225.html

Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1028 on: September 22, 2021, 07:21:49 AM »
Ok y'all, I'm taking the plunge. Just ordered a Quasi "pool skater face" 9" egg to set up with my Indy 149s and some f4 53mm classics. Yes, those wheels are 'small' by my usual standards. Weirdly small wheelbase (I believe under 14"!), which I'm actually hyped to try. After several months exclusively skating a 14.125" wb Polar Dane 1, I'm not sure I ever need to go bigger.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1029 on: September 22, 2021, 07:28:22 AM »
Ok y'all, I'm taking the plunge. Just ordered a Quasi "pool skater face" 9" egg to set up with my Indy 149s and some f4 53mm classics. Yes, those wheels are 'small' by my usual standards. Weirdly small wheelbase (I believe under 14"!), which I'm actually hyped to try. After several months exclusively skating a 14.125" wb Polar Dane 1, I'm not sure I ever need to go bigger.

FUCK YEAH!! WELCOME TO THE CARTON!

Props to you for being able to skate short wb’s. I just can’t do it.

broke_since96

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1030 on: September 23, 2021, 11:16:29 PM »
Hello everyone, this is my first time here on this forum. A quick dumb intro: (Skip to 2nd paragraph if you want) I just started skating a few months ago in June using some birthday money to get my first board. I had always wanted to skate as a kid but never got a chance too (I'm 25 now by the way). Up to now I've had my first board a Welcome 8.25 and then a Girl 8.0 both being popsicle shaped. I was only skating at my local skatepark and got most of the riding basics down, my ollies are still a work in progress. Then I decided I wanted to get something a little bigger to cruise around the streets. So a couple of weeks ago I went to my local skate shop where I've been getting all my gear and they had a big deck with an egg on it. I immediately fell in love with the art style and thought the shape was quirky so I got the board and made it my first cruising setup. It's a Heroin Eraser Egg 8.9 paired with 149 indy trucks and 60mm ricta clouds. I've been enjoying it very much but now that I'm getting more comfortable on the street I been wanting to start doing a little street skating. I didn't want to mess with my cruising board...

So I went to my skate shop again and asked If they had another "egg" deck and behind the counter they had another Heroin board even bigger than the first one. I'm not yet accustomed to seeing such big boards, can't help but smile every time I see one, anyways I bought it. It's a Heroin Space Egg 9.4, I'm really liking this brand. My plan is to learn how to skate curbs and any other low ledges since my ollies aren't that great yet. I figured this wide deck would help with that Wide deck = wide trucks. Now the reason I'm here lol, question what height trucks would work best for this kind of setup and what size and shape wheels? From reading some of the previous pages it would seem smaller conical wheels are a popular choice. Also I see some setups using those plastic slide rails, would those help me do board slides easier or are they more of a gimmick? Any advice is much appreciated thanks!

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #1031 on: September 23, 2021, 11:48:40 PM »
Hello everyone, this is my first time here on this forum. A quick dumb intro: (Skip to 2nd paragraph if you want) I just started skating a few months ago in June using some birthday money to get my first board. I had always wanted to skate as a kid but never got a chance too (I'm 25 now by the way). Up to now I've had my first board a Welcome 8.25 and then a Girl 8.0 both being popsicle shaped. I was only skating at my local skatepark and got most of the riding basics down, my ollies are still a work in progress. Then I decided I wanted to get something a little bigger to cruise around the streets. So a couple of weeks ago I went to my local skate shop where I've been getting all my gear and they had a big deck with an egg on it. I immediately fell in love with the art style and thought the shape was quirky so I got the board and made it my first cruising setup. It's a Heroin Eraser Egg 8.9 paired with 149 indy trucks and 60mm ricta clouds. I've been enjoying it very much but now that I'm getting more comfortable on the street I been wanting to start doing a little street skating. I didn't want to mess with my cruising board...

So I went to my skate shop again and asked If they had another "egg" deck and behind the counter they had another Heroin board even bigger than the first one. I'm not yet accustomed to seeing such big boards, can't help but smile every time I see one, anyways I bought it. It's a Heroin Space Egg 9.4, I'm really liking this brand. My plan is to learn how to skate curbs and any other low ledges since my ollies aren't that great yet. I figured this wide deck would help with that Wide deck = wide trucks. Now the reason I'm here lol, question what height trucks would work best for this kind of setup and what size and shape wheels? From reading some of the previous pages it would seem smaller conical wheels are a popular choice. Also I see some setups using those plastic slide rails, would those help me do board slides easier or are they more of a gimmick? Any advice is much appreciated thanks!

Gear madness is a curse for when you start getting old and your abilities diminish. The secret is parts are basically all the same thing and the difference is basically just in your head. If you think something is good it will feel good. If you think you have the wrong parts then they'll never work for you.
Rails will generally make you slide further/faster and will make boardslides a bit easier on curbs if you ride big wheels.(they make your board sit a bit higher on the curb giving you a bit more space before your wheels hit the ground if you lean to one side)

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #1032 on: September 24, 2021, 01:52:15 AM »

New Grimple Stix Gerwer Egg(brown stain)
“8.38 (football/eggish) x 31.3; 14.18" wheelbase”

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
« Reply #1033 on: September 24, 2021, 06:27:04 AM »

My only advice is to get rid of those rictas and skate some OJs or formula fours

scrub74

• Rep: 22
« Reply #1034 on: September 26, 2021, 04:37:41 PM »
I wasn't sure if this Uma was going to need 159s or 149s but I think the 149s are going to work. I'm also not sure if this is actually an egg or more of a football but I did a couple of nollies under my carport and they felt nice so there is that!

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #1035 on: September 26, 2021, 05:16:28 PM »

Great shape, and yes that 13.75 WB is something special! Mine is just about razored but God damn, skating that thing has been nothing short of a blast.

Got a very similar shape on deck from Tired, it's WB is a tad longer and it's not quite as wide, but I'm sure it'll be a fun one, too.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1036 on: September 26, 2021, 05:35:39 PM »
I wasn't sure if this Uma was going to need 159s or 149s but I think the 149s are going to work. I'm also not sure if this is actually an egg or more of a football but I did a couple of nollies under my carport and they felt nice so there is that!

Currently on the same deck. I have Af1 55s on it so same width as your 149s. Feels way smaller than a 9" board. Almost too flippy for me, as I'm rotating between this and the Cardiel 9.18 that has a longer WB.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1037 on: September 26, 2021, 07:54:19 PM »

wow, ur lucky to hv easy access to those eraserhead & space egg heroins boards. i had to order my symmetrical egg & curbkiller boards from other countries. most top 2 trucks for this wide boards would be Indy & Ace. those big boards & rails will give you the highly coveted badge of Curb Crusher Master when other skaters sees you.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1038 on: September 26, 2021, 08:03:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Great shape, and yes that 13.75 WB is something special! Mine is just about razored but God damn, skating that thing has been nothing short of a blast.

Got a very similar shape on deck from Tired, it's WB is a tad longer and it's not quite as wide, but I'm sure it'll be a fun one, too.

which Tired deck?

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1039 on: September 27, 2021, 03:55:37 AM »

I was going to pick this joint up but I couldnt pull the trigger because of the wheelbase. It’s a great looking set up though.

Also, ‘round these parts we use football and egg interchangeably because as a bunch of gear nerds we can’t afford to dive into the semantics of it.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #1040 on: September 27, 2021, 02:44:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

which Tired deck?

"Cat Call" shaped 8.75 from their latest drop!
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #1041 on: September 29, 2021, 08:18:43 AM »
For those who keep asking about slightly skinnier eggs, here's a new 8.38 shape from DLX
https://socalskateshop.com/Antihero-Frank-Gerwer-Grimple-Stix-Back-Skateboard-Deck-Green-Stain-838x3225.html#!?cc_decks=120138&c=cc_grip-tape

(sorry these are huge, don't see how to re-size)

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 772
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #1042 on: September 29, 2021, 12:58:57 PM »
I was checking out the Gerwer board yesterday. looks super fun

picked up the new axel board from toy. nice egg shape. If i remember correctly, its the same shape as the heroin eggs according to axel's insta post, 8.9. The jesse alba board seems like it's the same shape but a little smaller 8.8. sizes are according to what the shop put on their price tag. Gonna put some 144s independent on the frog and 149 indy on the toy when i get there. first egg boards i've gotten

nothing's been the since same

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #1043 on: September 29, 2021, 01:06:09 PM »
Does that Toy Machine specify a length on it?  I've seen various sizes listed on different sites

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 772
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #1044 on: September 29, 2021, 01:16:37 PM »
Does that Toy Machine specify a length on it?  I've seen various sizes listed on different sites
I can try and get a length later when i'm at home. Would the correct way to measure the length to be to press the tape into the concave or suspend the tape between the nose and tail with the deck resting on the graphic side. the toy is a little longer than the frog also.

nothing's been the since same

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #1045 on: September 29, 2021, 04:23:38 PM »
Magenta has two out right now that look sick. I know for sure one is 8.25

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1046 on: September 29, 2021, 08:37:32 PM »
Just received today...safely landed in Borneo Island..

Gumpspeed

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1047 on: September 30, 2021, 12:18:59 PM »

Setup this mutant egg 9.6, my first egg shape. I ride old skool shapes and decided to get a deck for Slappy's and to relearn flips, took some getting used to  but loving the shape.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1048 on: September 30, 2021, 02:36:03 PM »

Setup this mutant egg 9.6, my first egg shape. I ride old skool shapes and decided to get a deck for Slappy's and to relearn flips, took some getting used to  but loving the shape.

i ordered the same glow-in-the dark Creature rails for the Curbkiller and Couch shape..
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 09:01:11 PM by GBLange »

Gumpspeed

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1049 on: September 30, 2021, 03:57:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i ordered to same glow-in-the dark Creature rails for the Curbkiller and Couch shape..

I genuinely had no idea they glowed until tonight haha. As soon as the curb killer decks come to the UK I'm gonna grab one...or two.