Author Topic: Egg Shaped Boards  (Read 224844 times)

DeepSpace9mm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 100
Re: Egg Shaped Boards
« Reply #1470 on: February 08, 2022, 05:53:18 PM »
Lil crosspost action.

Expand Quote
Heavy mail day.

[close]

Good stuff.
Love the purple stain.
Enjoy those beauts.

djoekr

• Rep: 298
« Reply #1471 on: February 09, 2022, 09:25:49 AM »
Specs on that Curbageddon Huffer looking really tempting, might have to keep an eye out for one of those.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1472 on: February 09, 2022, 02:24:46 PM »
Specs on that Curbageddon Huffer looking really tempting, might have to keep an eye out for one of those.

Probably sounding like a broken record but the Huffer really does have such a functional shape for everything, almost every new drop now having a different graphic on that shape, so there are some good ones around.

I feel like the wider rounder tail is a lot more comfortable than some other egg shaped boards that have a smaller pointed tail, more than anything, but for a 9+ board with a fairly normal and not overly long wheelbase at 14.75  EDIT 14.81 wb, which can easily be drilled down if needed, it works really well.

They are killing it with the "Curb..." series too!

« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 04:13:31 PM by Woodshop »

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #1473 on: February 09, 2022, 02:36:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Probably sounding like a broken record but the Huffer really does have such a functional shape for everything, almost every new drop now having a different graphic on that shape, so there are some good ones around.

I feel like the wider rounder tail is a lot more comfortable than some other egg shaped boards that have a smaller pointed tail, more than anything, but for a 9+ board with a fairly normal and not overly long wheelbase at 14.75 which can easily be drilled down if needed, it works really well.

As always @Woodshop dropping big knowledge.

The huffer is by far my favorite shape of all time.

However, if anyone is spooked by the 9.18” width and 14.81” wb, the black label Reuter egg is a perfectly scaled down version at 9” with a 14.5” wb. I genuinely think that these two decks are some of the best decks ever designed. I have skated almost every available egg on the market and I’ve learned more tricks and have skated better on the huffer and the Reuter than on any other shape.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1474 on: February 09, 2022, 04:12:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel like the wider rounder tail is a lot more comfortable than some other egg shaped boards that have a smaller pointed tail, more than anything, but for a 9+ board with a fairly normal and not overly long wheelbase at 14.75 which can easily be drilled down if needed, it works really well.

[close]

However, if anyone is spooked by the 9.18” width and 14.81” wb, the black label Reuter egg is a perfectly scaled down version at 9” with a 14.5” wb. I genuinely think that these two decks are some of the best decks ever designed. I have skated almost every available egg on the market and I’ve learned more tricks and have skated better on the huffer and the Reuter than on any other shape.

I am a gumby sometimes - be good if the knowledge was correct, but the shaped board I was on yesterday had a 14.75 wb so I guess I was thinking of that one as I was typing.

As said, correct that to 14.81 wb on the Huffer and enjoy...

I still haven't seen many Black Label decks in person including that one, although seen plenty of pics online, as well as a few setup on here too.

Makes me want to go back through and find some.

Found yours...

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=100279.msg3670934#msg3670934

And another one

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=100279.msg3537080#msg3537080

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #1475 on: February 09, 2022, 04:44:32 PM »
These are the 3 that I’ve had

Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #1476 on: February 09, 2022, 07:43:39 PM »
Red poppin' on the white one

djoekr

« Reply #1477 on: February 10, 2022, 07:44:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks for the info guys! The shape looks really appealing me, the Heroin 9.1 eggs were the perfect size for me, as are most boards that are around 8.75-9" above the trucks. Not sure about the wheelbase as I've only skated decks up till 14.5, but I might take the plunge once I've gone through my current stack of decks.
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70
« Reply #1478 on: February 10, 2022, 01:13:06 PM »
Heroin 9.25 symmetrical eggs (8.875 over trucks) got reupped and currently available:
https://heroin.myshopify.com/products/symmetrical-egg-deck-9-25

broke_since96

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1479 on: February 11, 2022, 01:01:07 PM »
Heroin also dropped a small run of the original 9.0 symmetrical egg.
https://heroin.myshopify.com/collections/boards/products/symmetrical-egg-deck-9-0

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1480 on: February 11, 2022, 03:19:24 PM »
These are the 3 that I’ve had

So good!

Meant to post sooner, but got distracted and had been busy the last couple of days.

I like the darker blue stain on the bottom the most, maybe more so yellow or orange tops and something a bit more out there (like that purple stained eagle) or darker on the bottom seems to be my thing, but the more interesting question I was going to ask is if the dipped white was all natural under the paint and if it was natural, was it softer than the other stained wood?

It is hard for me to get past the dipped boards from long ago when all the worst wood was used for the full dipped graphics, which ultimately meant almost all those boards would go soggy faster or break way more quickly.  I know it is not quite the case now with some brands, but it always gives me a red flag when I see a fully dipped board.

Algar

• Rep: 28
« Reply #1481 on: February 11, 2022, 06:18:41 PM »

Looks like there’s football or eggy shape in the new Polar drop.

That Oski egg looks pretty sweet!  I know this may have been covered but what do you all like about egg shapes?  Do you think they favor a particular style of skating?  I skate a lot of mini ramps and small to mid sized bowls and a mix of everything else.  Not a lot of flip tricks These days beyond kick flips.

I wanna try one at some point and know that actually trying one is the only way to know if I like them but if anyone has any thoughts I’d really appreciate it.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1482 on: February 11, 2022, 06:43:48 PM »

That Oski egg looks pretty sweet!  I know this may have been covered but what do you all like about egg shapes?  Do you think they favor a particular style of skating?  I skate a lot of mini ramps and small to mid sized bowls and a mix of everything else.  Not a lot of flip tricks These days beyond kick flips.

I wanna try one at some point and know that actually trying one is the only way to know if I like them but if anyone has any thoughts I’d really appreciate it.

Best to find some in person and stand on the board as well as having a good look at the size and shape of the kicks, compared to anything you usually ride, eg sit that board on top of any other board of similar dimensions to your board that is in the same shop.

The number of times I had thought it would be a good idea and then when I saw that board in question in person, I was glad I hadn't bought one, but I am all about the decent size / shape / feel of the tail more than almost anything else.

That said, others love the fact that there are smaller pointy tails on a lot of egg shaped boards, some egg shapes having really good decent tails too.

Might be overkill or not worth the effort, but if you have an old board floating around, you can even just reshape it by scraping it on some moderately rough concrete (no tools needed) and use grip scraps to finish it, or if you do have access to tools, you can cut it and shape it down yourself to feel out what an egg / football shape is like.

Fun making smaller boards out of old normal boards anyway, be it a little cruiser, or a funky shaped something.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1483 on: February 11, 2022, 06:57:33 PM »

Not that many people might check the "Small boards thread" so I thought this would be a good addition here, especially after the last post re cutting something down to try it.

Re: Safe Space for 7.5 - 7.75 deck rydaz

I never got used to the amount of flat on the kicks of this Grandma deck but the mold shape kinda reminded me of the concave on the first skinny boards I rode in the 90s. I chopped it down to this slim little egg shape. A hair under 7.75 over the axles, 14.25 WB. I thought about drilling WB in a bit but there is like 2.5 adult fingers of flat at the nose and 2 at the tail and I don’t think I could take any more. Nose is around 6.8” and tail is 6.5”.

Not sure what my plan is for this. Any tall people in here ride 7.25ish trucks on their regular setup? Closest trucks I have are some 7.25 mini logos from my kid’s skateboard and while I’m definitely gonna take a test ride on em, I got some other trucks on the list to buy before I can buy some this size. Maybe I’ll just bring in the rails to match these little trucks.

Algar

• Rep: 28
« Reply #1484 on: February 11, 2022, 07:35:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Best to find some in person and stand on the board as well as having a good look at the size and shape of the kicks, compared to anything you usually ride, eg sit that board on top of any other board of similar dimensions to your board that is in the same shop.

The number of times I had thought it would be a good idea and then when I saw that board in question in person, I was glad I hadn't bought one, but I am all about the decent size / shape / feel of the tail more than almost anything else.

That said, others love the fact that there are smaller pointy tails on a lot of egg shaped boards, some egg shapes having really good decent tails too.

Might be overkill or not worth the effort, but if you have an old board floating around, you can even just reshape it by scraping it on some moderately rough concrete (no tools needed) and use grip scraps to finish it, or if you do have access to tools, you can cut it and shape it down yourself to feel out what an egg / football shape is like.

Fun making smaller boards out of old normal boards anyway, be it a little cruiser, or a funky shaped something.

Shit!  That is really helpful, I never thought of cutting down a deck to make an egg.  I’ll have to do this in the upcoming weeks as the snow starts to melt and have it ready as stuff dries out, thanks!

WorkinHardHardware

• Rep: 12
    • Workin' Hard Hardware Etsy Shop avatar image
« Reply #1485 on: February 14, 2022, 05:51:23 PM »
Got some football/egg boards available on sale right now, peep @workinhardhardware on instagram, hand glued and pressed boards from Tempe, AZ  8)

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1486 on: February 15, 2022, 06:15:26 AM »
Got some ace 66s on sale at my local, now looking to set up a big egg. Ordered a heroin 9.5” symmetrical egg... we’ll see how it goes. If those trucks are too wide I can pull my ace 55s or Indy 149s off of a different setup. May need to hold out for a 10” egg to really get the feeling I want, idk.

This will be second time trying an egg. First was the quasi pool skater face at 9” and 14” wb. Too squirrely for me. My daily driver is a 9.75” polar Dane 1. I like a big platform for my feet, and eggs tend to feel smaller than the specs would suggest because of all the taper, I think. So yeah, currently trying to set up a big fat egg.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #1487 on: February 15, 2022, 06:17:26 AM »
Got some ace 66s on sale at my local, now looking to set up a big egg. Ordered a heroin 9.5” symmetrical egg... we’ll see how it goes. If those trucks are too wide I can pull my ace 55s or Indy 149s off of a different setup. May need to hold out for a 10” egg to really get the feeling I want, idk.

This will be second time trying an egg. First was the quasi pool skater face at 9” and 14” wb. Too squirrely for me. My daily driver is a 9.75” polar Dane 1. I like a big platform for my feet, and eggs tend to feel smaller than the specs would suggest because of all the taper, I think. So yeah, currently trying to set up a big fat egg.
Sounds like you want the 10" curb killer 2

klobynrenn

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1488 on: February 17, 2022, 06:23:48 AM »
Thought this might be of interest here - just got the newest Polar drop in at the shop I work at, including a couple of the Oski football shape. The polar website lists the dims as 8.75x32, Nose 6.875, Tail 6.5, and WB 14.4; however the top sticker on the deck has the dims listed as 8.75x31.8, Nose 6.875, Tail 6.5, and WB 14.375, which matches up with the measurements I took (8.5ish above trucks too fyi).

Not sure whether or not this has been the case with Polar football shapes from previous drops, but I know polar are known to post incorrect dims sometimes so figured it’d be worth posting.

on a side note, I started checking this thread last year after getting a heroin soft boiled egg deck and loving it, and since then the combination of working in a shop + the slap boards has aided my descent into near full on gear madness, so thanks for that, Shoes & Gear! Lol

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #1489 on: February 17, 2022, 07:18:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Sounds like you want the 10" curb killer 2
My madness has returned... I just ordered a 10" Curb Killer via Tactics. Would have gone with this first time around if i had looked a little harder, but I usually try to order from smaller shops first and most of my go-tos were sold out. So idk, maybe I'll have an extra deck kickin around after all this. Maybe I can return one, I don't know

Thought this might be of interest here - just got the newest Polar drop in at the shop I work at, including a couple of the Oski football shape. The polar website lists the dims as 8.75x32, Nose 6.875, Tail 6.5, and WB 14.4; however the top sticker on the deck has the dims listed as 8.75x31.8, Nose 6.875, Tail 6.5, and WB 14.375, which matches up with the measurements I took (8.5ish above trucks too fyi).

Not sure whether or not this has been the case with Polar football shapes from previous drops, but I know polar are known to post incorrect dims sometimes so figured it’d be worth posting.

on a side note, I started checking this thread last year after getting a heroin soft boiled egg deck and loving it, and since then the combination of working in a shop + the slap boards has aided my descent into near full on gear madness, so thanks for that, Shoes & Gear! Lol
God damn Polar always misrepresenting their dimensions... and I skate a ton of 'em anyway  ::)

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1490 on: February 17, 2022, 07:37:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Love the Huffer but it is actually 14.75" Wheelbase. Antihero just like to mess with you with the 1s and 8s in some of their dimensions. Everyone I have measured is 14.75" on the dot.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #1491 on: February 17, 2022, 08:31:04 AM »
I just received my order of the 9.0 symmetrical egg reprint that Heroin released through their site last week, and damn this thing looks perfect.  The shape is a bit less extreme on the tapers.  But the actual measurements are quite a bit off...it's supposed to be 9.0 at the widest, but I get 8.8 even with the tape pressed down into the concave, and it's a solid 8.5 over the trucks.  Was hoping to be able to put my 159s on it but now i don't know...

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1492 on: February 17, 2022, 03:11:21 PM »

It sure can be a whole lot of crazy, but at least Shoes & Gear has a lot of good info as well.

Safest place to keep as sane as any of us on here, as well as helping others with your info and shop stuff too, which is always good.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1493 on: February 17, 2022, 03:24:56 PM »
I just received my order of the 9.0 symmetrical egg reprint that Heroin released through their site last week, and damn this thing looks perfect.  The shape is a bit less extreme on the tapers.  But the actual measurements are quite a bit off...it's supposed to be 9.0 at the widest, but I get 8.8 even with the tape pressed down into the concave, and it's a solid 8.5 over the trucks.  Was hoping to be able to put my 159s on it but now i don't know...

It might sound weird, but I found the best way to see was not so much to measure the deck but to sit the trucks on the top of the board (wheels on is better but it doesn't really matter) putting them over the bolt holes and looking to see if the trucks / wheels will sit out too much, as more often than not, the wheels will sit inside anyway.

You can also sit a complete over the deck too, just to see whether or not it will look like it works, without having to set up the new one and then think it does or doesn't work for you.

Had a few shaped boards where the dimensions seem like it will or will not work with specific trucks, but to just sit the trucks on the deck on the floor and stand over it you can get a good idea of whether or not you would be happy with it, without ever getting the deck out of the shrink wrap.

Pete W

• Rep: 11
« Reply #1494 on: February 17, 2022, 10:52:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It might sound weird, but I found the best way to see was not so much to measure the deck but to sit the trucks on the top of the board (wheels on is better but it doesn't really matter) putting them over the bolt holes and looking to see if the trucks / wheels will sit out too much, as more often than not, the wheels will sit inside anyway.

You can also sit a complete over the deck too, just to see whether or not it will look like it works, without having to set up the new one and then think it does or doesn't work for you.

Had a few shaped boards where the dimensions seem like it will or will not work with specific trucks, but to just sit the trucks on the deck on the floor and stand over it you can get a good idea of whether or not you would be happy with it, without ever getting the deck out of the shrink wrap.

Definitely recommend giving it a shot before you decide against it. I’ve got an 8.8 creature football that tapers to 8.5 in the front and even 8.3ish in the back and I’ve got stage 10 169s on it (they're 8.9)
You can barely see any wheel and it rides great
I wouldn’t have ordered it had I paid more attention but never looked back after setting it up.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1495 on: February 18, 2022, 01:52:49 AM »

I always find it interesting seeing where the wheel bite marks are on boards too.  I can definitely see the marks from the back wheels are a lot closer to the edge of the board compared to the front on that one.

Some boards have wheel bite marks a whole inch or more inside the deck edge, which is pretty wild when looking at some other boards like this.

Fun looking setup too.

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #1496 on: February 18, 2022, 02:29:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel like the wider rounder tail is a lot more comfortable than some other egg shaped boards that have a smaller pointed tail, more than anything, but for a 9+ board with a fairly normal and not overly long wheelbase at 14.75  EDIT 14.81 wb, which can easily be drilled down if needed, it works really well.

That's what I did with my phawt using chems tool, but on the tail side to compensate for 58mm wheels and old legs. Tail now around 7.125 with 14.38wb. Perfect.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 848
« Reply #1497 on: February 20, 2022, 07:49:49 PM »
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1166143151/the-football-deck?ref=shop_home_active_9&pro=1

Who's gonna be the Guinea pig? Homie posted in another thread and this caught my eye. Specs look good and shape has a very early 90s look

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #1498 on: February 20, 2022, 07:51:56 PM »
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1166143151/the-football-deck?ref=shop_home_active_9&pro=1

Who's gonna be the Guinea pig? Homie posted in another thread and this caught my eye. Specs look good and shape has a very early 90s look

There were some Jovontae reissues (Chiquita and eyes) that I think were prime, but we’re about this pointy. And I wish that I had gotten one.
The above shape looks nice

djoekr

« Reply #1499 on: February 21, 2022, 03:10:31 AM »
Just ordered the Curbageddon Huffer, really looking forward to set it up. I used to run 159s on my 9.1 eggs so they will probably fit fine, right?
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -