Author Topic: Egg Shaped Boards  (Read 224851 times)

Frank and Fred

Re: Egg Shaped Boards
« Reply #1500 on: February 21, 2022, 05:56:59 AM »
159s work on the Huffer, for sure. I usually use Classic Ace 55s but I am currently using 159s on one.

djoekr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 298
« Reply #1501 on: February 21, 2022, 06:41:21 AM »
Thought so yeah, good to hear! Hope the wheelbase will be okay as the biggest I've skated before was 14.5. I'll mostly be skating street ledges and curbs on it so if it really messes with my tricks I'll redrill, but it will be good to try something new.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1502 on: February 21, 2022, 07:01:00 AM »
I like smaller wheelbases but the Huffer is such a great well-balanced shape it just works. I am terrible at flip tricks but I can make 360 flips and fake big flips work on that shape. If a deck allows me a few flips and also feels comfortable locking into smith grinds on pool coping, it is all I need. I have 3 Huffers on a shelf in my basement... you know... just incase of societal meltdown...

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #1503 on: February 21, 2022, 08:24:49 AM »
I like smaller wheelbases but the Huffer is such a great well-balanced shape it just works. I am terrible at flip tricks but I can make 360 flips and fake big flips work on that shape. If a deck allows me a few flips and also feels comfortable locking into smith grinds on pool coping, it is all I need. I have 3 Huffers on a shelf in my basement... you know... just incase of societal meltdown...

As far as shapes go, huffer is ‘the one’

djoekr

« Reply #1504 on: February 21, 2022, 10:26:33 AM »
Okay that's it. You guys got me hyped to try it, I'll report back when I get it in the mail and when the weather gets better.
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 848
« Reply #1505 on: February 21, 2022, 12:01:32 PM »

Don't feel bad I had like 7 scumco Evan smiths at one point. I've skated/gifted a couple so I'm down to 3 now. I think I'm going to set one up for the nice weather today actually.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1506 on: February 21, 2022, 02:14:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Specs on that Curbageddon Huffer looking really tempting, might have to keep an eye out for one of those.
[close]

Probably sounding like a broken record but the Huffer really does have such a functional shape for everything, almost every new drop now having a different graphic on that shape, so there are some good ones around.

I feel like the wider rounder tail is a lot more comfortable than some other egg shaped boards that have a smaller pointed tail, more than anything, but for a 9+ board with a fairly normal and not overly long wheelbase at 14.75  EDIT 14.81 wb, which can easily be drilled down if needed, it works really well.

They are killing it with the "Curb..." series too!
[close]

That's what I did with my phawt using chems tool, but on the tail side to compensate for 58mm wheels and old legs. Tail now around 7.125 with 14.38wb. Perfect.

I guess the different / Girl wood concave might feel a bit better with the extra room compared to the BBS concave, cause when I put the bolts through the last two holes in the Indy 159s I had on the Huffer just to see what it was like, it was so light on the tail, it was almost scary.

It would probably start to feel a bit more normal after a few sessions though, but muscle memory is a funny thing with where the tail starts and where my feet just end up.

This is the easiest way to "feel out" shortening the wheelbase without actually having to drill anything out, by putting just two bolts done up tight on the six hole baseplate through just the unused end holes on the complete first and having a stand on it / feeling out the pivot / manual point with whatever deck. 

Then if you do like it, keep the baseplate straight and even just drill out the two inside holes, or drill out all four from where the baseplate sits and you are good to go.

Sure it is dependent on having a six hole baseplate truck handy, like standard Indy 159 and up, or any older trucks as per a ton I have sitting around (Venture, Thunder, generic brands all with the old six hole plates).

Overall bringing a nose in is one thing, but bringing a tail in really changes things a lot, but it can also give an old worn down board a whole new life with an additional 3/8" added to the tail as well.

Options for you to "test out" with Indy 159s on a six hole plate without having to drill in the wheelbase first.

djoekr

« Reply #1507 on: February 23, 2022, 11:30:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You weren't lying, got it today and took it to my local curb and damn it's a lot of fun. It's surprisingly nimble for it's size and wheelbase. Coming from a square kick, the tail feels like a perfect medium between a square tail and a popsicle. They make these almost every season right?? Otherwise I might cave in and double up right now.
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #1508 on: February 23, 2022, 05:33:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You weren't lying, got it today and took it to my local curb and damn it's a lot of fun. It's surprisingly nimble for it's size and wheelbase. Coming from a square kick, the tail feels like a perfect medium between a square tail and a popsicle. They make these almost every season right?? Otherwise I might cave in and double up right now.

Double up and buy as many as possible. There was a time where we went a year without a huffer and I will be good damned if that happens to any of us again.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1509 on: February 23, 2022, 05:38:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yes they have more coming out in every drop from what I have seen (different graphics too, which is nice), but the old "get them while you can" always rings true for me.

Of course don't blow the budget and have more boards than food in the house...

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1510 on: February 23, 2022, 05:42:32 PM »
We’re they always 14.81 wb or was it 14.75? Calling Macho T for answers

No comply

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1511 on: February 23, 2022, 05:55:45 PM »
What’s the nose and tail lengths on the Huffer? I don’t trust what I see on the Tactics website.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1512 on: February 23, 2022, 06:20:20 PM »
What’s the nose and tail lengths on the Huffer? I don’t trust what I see on the Tactics website.

They look about right.

My older well thrashed board measures pretty much on that, maybe a touch less, but the tail is worn down.

If you hold the tape down with the concave they come up a bit longer, eg nose 7" and tail 6.75" but holding it right across and looking down at the bolts, the measurements are pretty much as per what they have on there.

Even the 14.75 vs 14.81 wheelbase is barely more than a single mm difference, which has also been discussed by others previously, so make of that what you will.

https://www.tactics.com/anti-hero/curbageddon-918-huffer-shape-skateboard-deck

SPECS
SIZE   9.18
WIDTH (IN):   9.18
LENGTH (IN):   32.62
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.8
NOSE (IN):   6.875
TAIL (IN):   6.625

No comply

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1513 on: February 23, 2022, 06:53:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They look about right.

My older well thrashed board measures pretty much on that, maybe a touch less, but the tail is worn down.

If you hold the tape down with the concave they come up a bit longer, eg nose 7" and tail 6.75" but holding it right across and looking down at the bolts, the measurements are pretty much as per what they have on there.

Even the 14.75 vs 14.81 wheelbase is barely more than a single mm difference, which has also been discussed by others previously, so make of that what you will.

https://www.tactics.com/anti-hero/curbageddon-918-huffer-shape-skateboard-deck

SPECS
SIZE   9.18
WIDTH (IN):   9.18
LENGTH (IN):   32.62
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.8
NOSE (IN):   6.875

Thank you! I was looking for the tape down measurements. I figured they would be slightly longer than Tactics.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1514 on: February 23, 2022, 07:17:41 PM »
Here's what I get on the Huffer. I have a few in my stash...

Length 32.5" with tape pulled, 32 3/4" with tape flat.
WB 14.75" on the money.
Tail: 6.75" (maybe a smidge shorter)
Nose: 6 7/8" (maybe the tiniest bit longer but def under 7")
Width at front holes of front truck: 8 5/8"
Width at back holes of front truck: 8 7/8"
Width at widest point: 9 1/8"
Width at front holes of back truck 9" (maybe a tad narrower)
Width at back holes of back truck 8 3/4" (maybe a pubic hair width shorter)

Nose is pointier then tail. Tail is a nice full shape but not square. We'd call it a rounded squash on a surfboard. Unlike a lot of shaped decks it carries more width toward the tail instead of tapering narrower. That's one of the bigger selling points for me.

Best used with 9" or 8.75" axle trucks.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 07:36:57 PM by Frank and Fred »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1515 on: February 23, 2022, 07:56:01 PM »

Double up and buy as many as possible. There was a time where we went a year without a huffer and I will be good damned if that happens to any of us again.

My fault. I bought them all. Trying not to buy the latest cream colored eagle version.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1516 on: February 23, 2022, 08:06:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

My fault. I bought them all. Trying not to buy the latest cream colored eagle version.

Ha yeah, they had to double production on the latest boards, because so many people want them now. *

*  Pure speculation, but it makes sense!

djoekr

« Reply #1517 on: February 23, 2022, 11:12:29 PM »
Fuck it, just bought another one. Yesterday's session was so much fun. My pop was higher than usual and it seemed like I could hold on to grinds on it forever. Think my madness is finally gone, but who knows what the future might bring...
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1518 on: February 24, 2022, 08:29:41 AM »
Ha amazing. Such an addicting shape, we get nervous and horde them. With WWIII on the horizon, perhaps not a bad idea.

djoekr

« Reply #1519 on: February 24, 2022, 09:05:32 AM »
Ha amazing. Such an addicting shape, we get nervous and horde them. With WWIII on the horizon, perhaps not a bad idea.

That was my reasoning as well. If we're gonna live in a post-apocalyptic world, you might as well hoard some gear to skate the sick abandoned spots.

And yeah, that's kinda my gripe with shaped decks. When I find a shape I really like I'll get the urge to buy more in case they stop producing that exact shape. When I got my Zane Timpson Life deck I immediately bought 2 more because of my paranoia.
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70
« Reply #1520 on: February 24, 2022, 02:25:42 PM »
After all this huffer talk you guys inspired me to pick one up. 25% off from the sale gear thread

https://www.thepointskateshop.com/anti-hero-918-curb-ageddon.html

They’ve also got the mezcalero
https://www.thepointskateshop.com/anti-hero-918-cardiel-mezcalero.html

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1521 on: February 24, 2022, 02:36:29 PM »

Pete W

• Rep: 11
« Reply #1522 on: February 25, 2022, 09:09:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I always find it interesting seeing where the wheel bite marks are on boards too.  I can definitely see the marks from the back wheels are a lot closer to the edge of the board compared to the front on that one.

Some boards have wheel bite marks a whole inch or more inside the deck edge, which is pretty wild when looking at some other boards like this.

Fun looking setup too.

It is interesting, i never looked at it before tbh. Ive ran both these classic 97a's and some conical full 99a's on this as well which messes with the wheelbite marks even further
Truck geometry probably adds its own spin to that as well id imagine

The setup is a lot of fun, was my first egg-shape and really sold me on it. Only thing about this deck is its a little short even for my liking at 31.48, makes it quite squirly at times

Since Ive moved to a twin shape (Chocolate) on my regular setup, i've been looking for a Heroin symmetrical and just pulled the trigger on a 9.25, which should be perfect with the 8.9 trucks i think

For the Euro-Pals looking for Heroin decks, Concretewave from Germany has an 11% Sale up until the 28th of February and a bunch of Heroin decks including the 9.25 and 9.5 symm eggs and 10 Curb Killer

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1523 on: February 25, 2022, 05:10:40 PM »

Just looking for something else but these couple of boards came up that I hadn't really seen much of, or seen anything of really on here:

Fixer

https://www.tactics.com/fixer/decks

https://www.tactics.com/fixer/number-90-egg-shape-skateboard-deck/limited-text

SPECS
SIZE   9.0
WIDTH (IN):   9.0
LENGTH (IN):   31.875
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.375
NOSE (IN):   6.5

https://www.tactics.com/fixer/cinder-90-egg-shape-skateboard-deck

SPECS
SIZE   9.0
WIDTH (IN):   9.0
LENGTH (IN):   32.125
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.375
NOSE (IN):   7.0
TAIL (IN):   6.5

Top pic is better to see the shape without graphic

« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 05:24:59 PM by Woodshop »

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1524 on: February 25, 2022, 05:18:25 PM »

Also for those people wanting a smaller egg, this one is on sale too, initially thinking it was the one that others had posted a while back but that one was 8.25 and this one is only 8.0 if the dimensions are correct (even with the sticker that shows 8.25 but there is another listing for the 8.25 board so who knows):

@ok boomer

https://www.tactics.com/magenta/jameel-douglas-guest-pro-80-90s-shape-skateboard-deck

SPECS
SIZE   8.0
WIDTH (IN):   8.0
LENGTH (IN):   31.0
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.0
TAIL (IN):   6.25

https://www.tactics.com/magenta/jameel-douglas-guest-pro-825-90s-shape-skateboard-deck/multi

SPECS
SIZE   8.25
WIDTH (IN):   8.25
LENGTH (IN):   31.25
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.25

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1525 on: February 25, 2022, 09:31:47 PM »

Also for those people wanting a smaller egg, this one is on sale too, initially thinking it was the one that others had posted a while back but that one was 8.25 and this one is only 8.0 if the dimensions are correct (even with the sticker that shows 8.25 but there is another listing for the 8.25 board so who knows):

@ok boomer

https://www.tactics.com/magenta/jameel-douglas-guest-pro-80-90s-shape-skateboard-deck

SPECS
SIZE   8.0

https://www.tactics.com/magenta/jameel-douglas-guest-pro-825-90s-shape-skateboard-deck/multi

SPECS
SIZE   8.25

Just wanted to chime in and say that I almost bought this magenta. I can’t remember what the measure was at the bolts (this is key information on shaped boards…), but I do remember thinking that 8”
Trucks would be the absolute max

franc

• Rep: 102
« Reply #1526 on: February 25, 2022, 11:19:06 PM »
Just wanted to chime in and say that I almost bought this magenta. I can’t remember what the measure was at the bolts (this is key information on shaped boards…), but I do remember thinking that 8”
Trucks would be the absolute max

I have it and have skated it with both 144s and 139s. It worked with 144s but I'll stick to 139s.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #1527 on: March 01, 2022, 07:51:03 AM »
After skating the Heroin 9.75 Symmetrical Egg for a while and on different terrain I went back to my 9.25 popsicle today. It felt so much better. Night and day, really. Initially I was really hyped on the egg, but now I am thinking it was mostly the novelty factor. I mean, the symmetry is fun but my tricks just work out better on the popsicle.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #1528 on: March 01, 2022, 11:42:15 AM »

@ok boomer

SPECS
SIZE   8.0

SPECS
SIZE   8.25

Wowserz.... thanks for posting this bad boy. Looks perfect

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70