Author Topic: Egg Shaped Boards  (Read 224918 times)

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Egg Shaped Boards
« Reply #2310 on: October 10, 2023, 11:27:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just posted all the Holiday drop egg specs on Instagram, biggest egg drop yet, from 8.75 through to a 10.75 and a bunch of sizes Inbetween. We sold out of quite a few already, and are getting a little restock this week. They’re all in stores now.
[close]

Which shop ?
[close]

What's up Fos!
Dude I need that golden anatomy right now. Probably is going to be a pain in the ass to find it here in CZ so if anybody has a EU link (hopefully with free shipping) I'd be more than thankful.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 848
« Reply #2311 on: October 11, 2023, 07:55:29 AM »
Expand Quote
The Flyer has the regular BBS concave. It will vary in steepness based on where it sat in the pile when it was pressed. 1 to 4. 1 = steeper, 4 = mellower. You can tell by the roman numerals stamped on top of the deck.

Its not a 1993 style concave but that would be cool
[close]

How was concave different back then?

As others have said.. Boards were flatter and more mellow in the kicks back then, it wasn't all that far removed from the plank with a tail days before concave was even used. The molds were pretty primitive compared to the 3d modeled CNC molds they use now. Prime was kind of the BBS of the day, pressing boards for the biggest companies, and they had a mellow street mold so that's what everyone copied. Kinda like how FA happened and then all of a sudden everyone had square popsicles for sale.

One time I got really ripped and came up with a conspiracy theory that the reason Chinese boards tend to be flat is that Prime sold off their molds overseas when the original operation shut down in the 90s and everyone over there ended up inadvertently copying them again. Definitely not true, but it was a fun thought.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
« Reply #2312 on: October 11, 2023, 07:59:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The Flyer has the regular BBS concave. It will vary in steepness based on where it sat in the pile when it was pressed. 1 to 4. 1 = steeper, 4 = mellower. You can tell by the roman numerals stamped on top of the deck.

Its not a 1993 style concave but that would be cool
[close]

How was concave different back then?
[close]

As others have said.. Boards were flatter and more mellow in the kicks back then, it wasn't all that far removed from the plank with a tail days before concave was even used. The molds were pretty primitive compared to the 3d modeled CNC molds they use now. Prime was kind of the BBS of the day, pressing boards for the biggest companies, and they had a mellow street mold so that's what everyone copied. Kinda like how FA happened and then all of a sudden everyone had square popsicles for sale.

One time I got really ripped and came up with a conspiracy theory that the reason Chinese boards tend to be flat is that Prime sold off their molds overseas when the original operation shut down in the 90s and everyone over there ended up inadvertently copying them again. Definitely not true, but it was a fun thought.

Also, once you get into the mid-90s you had P.S. making those early flat Girl boards, especially for MC. I cannot for the life of me remember the mold name. Ben Degros talked about it in the video he did at the P.S. factory.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 782
« Reply #2313 on: October 11, 2023, 08:57:28 AM »

As others have said.. Boards were flatter and more mellow in the kicks back then, it wasn't all that far removed from the plank with a tail days before concave was even used.

Not quite accurate. in the late 80s and very early 90s, concaves were really advncaced and more complicated than now. you had H-Street hell concave and Santa Cruz cruise missile 1 and 2 concaves. Those had rocker, and varying angles throughout the board. Really cool to check out. Have a look at a Santa Cruz Tom Knox reissue for reference. Anyway, when boards started slimming down and heading in the direction of popsicles. concaves went really flat again. eggs and footballs were pretty mellow and flat back then for sure but not because there was no concave prior.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2314 on: October 12, 2023, 10:46:13 AM »
Expand Quote

As others have said.. Boards were flatter and more mellow in the kicks back then, it wasn't all that far removed from the plank with a tail days before concave was even used.
[close]

Not quite accurate. in the late 80s and very early 90s, concaves were really advncaced and more complicated than now. you had H-Street hell concave and Santa Cruz cruise missile 1 and 2 concaves. Those had rocker, and varying angles throughout the board. Really cool to check out. Have a look at a Santa Cruz Tom Knox reissue for reference. Anyway, when boards started slimming down and heading in the direction of popsicles. concaves went really flat again. eggs and footballs were pretty mellow and flat back then for sure but not because there was no concave prior.

Re-read that. I didn't say there was no concave prior to the 90s, I said it wasn't that far removed from the days prior to it. Its just placing where it was on the timeline, not a comprehensive history of concave. I actually have one of the hell concave Hensley reissues haha, Tony Mag says it's the original mold but I dunno... I'd love to get an OG and compare it

Also, once you get into the mid-90s you had P.S. making those early flat Girl boards, especially for MC. I cannot for the life of me remember the mold name. Ben Degros talked about it in the video he did at the P.S. factory.

You can actually still get boards on that mold. Girl does reissues through PS here and there that are original dimensions and the super mellow mold. I have one of the Jovantae Turner ones but theyve also done a couple Carroll ones including the Astro boy 7.5 that just dropped. They did some 93 tils and an 8.25 blm board for Jeron Wilson through PS a few years back too but I don't think those were on the OG mold.

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #2315 on: October 12, 2023, 10:54:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Re-read that. I didn't say there was no concave prior to the 90s, I said it wasn't that far removed from the days prior to it. Its just placing where it was on the timeline, not a comprehensive history of concave. I actually have one of the hell concave Hensley reissues haha, Tony Mag says it's the original mold but I dunno... I'd love to get an OG and compare it

Expand Quote

[close]

You can actually still get boards on that mold. Girl does reissues through PS here and there that are original dimensions and the super mellow mold. I have one of the Jovantae Turner ones but theyve also done a couple Carroll ones including the Astro boy 7.5 that just dropped. They did some 93 tils and an 8.25 blm board for Jeron Wilson through PS a few years back too but I don't think those were on the OG mold.

Oh I’d love to get a hold of one of those!

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #2316 on: October 12, 2023, 11:03:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just posted all the Holiday drop egg specs on Instagram, biggest egg drop yet, from 8.75 through to a 10.75 and a bunch of sizes Inbetween. We sold out of quite a few already, and are getting a little restock this week. They’re all in stores now.
[close]

Which shop ?
[close]

What's up Fos!
[close]
Dude I need that golden anatomy right now. Probably is going to be a pain in the ass to find it here in CZ so if anybody has a EU link (hopefully with free shipping) I'd be more than thankful.

its already sold out at Concrete Wave in germany. i know Netherlands shops wont get it. seen another shop where its already sold.. goes fast i guess.

found it at Mantis
https://mantisshop.de/search?sSearch=heroin&p=1

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2317 on: October 12, 2023, 01:29:58 PM »

They're in shops right now so don't drag your feet. It's the 7.5 Astro boy. I know where to get some dead stock Jeron 8.25s too if you want...I dunno if it's the same mold but the bannerot 8.25 had a really weird short nose that was mellower than the tail. Switch and nollie dudes would probably love it but I didn't.

But yeah, they usually go pretty fast and a lot of them go to the collectors and reseller folks so nows the time to start looking...you can try hitting crail up and asking if they know what shops got them, that's what I'd do. If that doesn't work there's always eBay.

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #2318 on: October 12, 2023, 01:55:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They're in shops right now so don't drag your feet. It's the 7.5 Astro boy. I know where to get some dead stock Jeron 8.25s too if you want...I dunno if it's the same mold but the bannerot 8.25 had a really weird short nose that was mellower than the tail. Switch and nollie dudes would probably love it but I didn't.

But yeah, they usually go pretty fast and a lot of them go to the collectors and reseller folks so nows the time to start looking...you can try hitting crail up and asking if they know what shops got them, that's what I'd do. If that doesn't work there's always eBay.

I’d be interested in an 8.25 Jeron! I knew they’d done some reissues but I thought that just the MC Tarheel deck. This is great info.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 782
« Reply #2319 on: October 12, 2023, 02:40:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Got it. Those concaves were fucked. I had a Knox reissue that had the staged and rockered Cruise Missile concave and it was actually pretty skateable but a nightmare to go between that an other boards.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2320 on: October 13, 2023, 02:59:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Got it. Those concaves were fucked. I had a Knox reissue that had the staged and rockered Cruise Missile concave and it was actually pretty skateable but a nightmare to go between that an other boards.

Oh I've made one attempt at the Hensley and then it went back in a box somewhere instantly. Took the trucks off and everything, which I rarely do unless I'm moving them to a different setup. When I bought it I was under the impression it was Watson wood but the other 2 Watson pressed H streets I had were natural tops (Tony ain't springing for more than one dyed ply these days I guess) and this one was blue so maybe he gave the hell mold to that legend skates dude. Shit is crazy deep, definitely deeper than almost every production mold out there save maybe the pennswood deep dish. If you ever get a chance to try one of those it's worth it just to say you've done it, but it's borderline impossible to skate with old legs. I ghost popped on it like crazy no matter what I tried.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2321 on: October 14, 2023, 10:20:20 PM »
Was just looking through the hlc catalog

https://mfg.hlcdist.com/wp-content/uploads/catalogos/hlc-oem-catalogue-skateboard.pdf

and noticed their 8.75 egg (m01002). The dims look really good and I like hlc wood, anyone know where to get one? I don't think I've ever seen sour/jart/plan b doing shapes

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2322 on: October 14, 2023, 11:36:42 PM »

https://mfg.hlcdist.com/wp-content/uploads/catalogos/hlc-oem-catalogue-skateboard.pdf

and noticed their 8.75 egg (m01002). The dims look really good and I like hlc wood, anyone know where to get one? I don't think I've ever seen sour/jart/plan b doing shapes

Found this one the other day
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/jart-stoner-ghost-9-125-skateboard-deck-multi_p162709?cic=CZ&doid=rdcd_comlo&ph=8115134e4c9cd9b8b2b2746be769ed36&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=cz
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2323 on: October 14, 2023, 11:53:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/jart-stoner-ghost-9-125-skateboard-deck-multi_p162709?cic=CZ&doid=rdcd_comlo&ph=8115134e4c9cd9b8b2b2746be769ed36&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=cz

That's the 9.13 one. I (regrettably) already did a deep dive on the jart site and didn't come up with anything. I did find one of the short cruiser shapes that caught my eye but it might be too short even for me and holy fuck are their graphics bad.

Sour was what I was initially hoping for when I saw it but they don't seem to really do shaped decks.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #2324 on: October 16, 2023, 04:50:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The graphic looks cool

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2325 on: October 23, 2023, 10:01:33 PM »

Kaezan

• Rep: -3
« Reply #2326 on: October 24, 2023, 07:14:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Which shop ?
[close]

What's up Fos!

I ordered this board from Tactics and excited to use it.

I also ordered some Indy 169 (9.125 in) trucks for it. But now I saw this photo and it says 8.88 over the trucks and thinking maybe my trucks will be too wide? I also have some Venture 8.5 that I could use, but not sure which would work better.

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #2327 on: October 24, 2023, 07:22:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Which shop ?
[close]

What's up Fos!
[close]

I ordered this board from Tactics and excited to use it.

I also ordered some Indy 169 (9.125 in) trucks for it. But now I saw this photo and it says 8.88 over the trucks and thinking maybe my trucks will be too wide? I also have some Venture 8.5 that I could use, but not sure which would work better.

I think for this setup you either want 169s or 159s. I'd go with the 159 so the wheels are a bit tucked in, but 169s aren't going to hot rod too much. I think the Venture 8.5s might be a but too magic carpet for my liking, but, of course, tastes vary.

You should be good to go with the 169s!

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 545
« Reply #2328 on: October 24, 2023, 11:14:16 AM »
Cross-post. Just set this one up.

Heroin 9.25” egg — Swampy pro model
Ace 55 Classic
55mm Spitfire F4 OG Classic
Quantum Isotopes
Free Pepper Grip
Kankles

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2329 on: October 24, 2023, 06:37:18 PM »

Ace 55 Classic
Quantum Isotopes
Free Pepper Grip
Kankles

159 fits perfectly..nice..

FunnyBunny

• Rep: 18
« Reply #2330 on: October 25, 2023, 07:10:45 PM »

If we’re posting swampy’s, here’s mine.  2nd Heroin 9.25 egg I’ve had.  Excited to get out on this one some more!

9.25 Heroin egg
Ace AF1 60
56mm bones x99
Swiss
Jessup

turdtastic

• Rep: 54
« Reply #2331 on: October 25, 2023, 07:34:32 PM »

If we’re posting swampy’s, here’s mine.  2nd Heroin 9.25 egg I’ve had.  Excited to get out on this one some more!

9.25 Heroin egg
Ace AF1 60
56mm bones x99
Swiss
Jessup

Ace 55 Classic
Quantum Isotopes
Free Pepper Grip
Kankles
Gawdammit, the lack of top pics is disappointing!

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #2332 on: October 26, 2023, 07:54:34 AM »
My local has a Wide Boy and a Swampy. I can't decided. People of SLAP, can you give me your opinions? I'd be exceedingly happy with either setup, but with the Wide Boy I'd have to purchase some Ace 80s as well.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #2333 on: October 26, 2023, 07:58:35 AM »
My local has a Wide Boy and a Swampy. I can't decided. People of SLAP, can you give me your opinions? I'd be exceedingly happy with either setup, but with the Wide Boy I'd have to purchase some Ace 80s as well.

grab the wide boy and trucks. then, in about just under a month, grab the swampy when you find yourself thinking about it again

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #2334 on: October 26, 2023, 08:09:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

grab the wide boy and trucks. then, in about just under a month, grab the swampy when you find yourself thinking about it again

Get out of my head.

Badandoldskater

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 31
« Reply #2335 on: October 26, 2023, 08:41:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Get out of my head.

Me two I’ve been going back and forward as well, gives me an excuse to buy the ace 80s if I get the wide boy

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 545
« Reply #2336 on: October 26, 2023, 09:49:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Get out of my head.
[close]

Me two I’ve been going back and forward as well, gives me an excuse to buy the ace 80s if I get the wide boy

Get the wide boy. It’s not guaranteed they’ll make that board again, but Swampy will get another pro egg shape.

Badandoldskater

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 31
« Reply #2337 on: October 26, 2023, 10:10:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Get out of my head.
[close]

[close]

Get the wide boy. It’s not guaranteed they’ll make that board again, but Swampy will get another pro egg shape.

This was the confirmation I needed, ordered !

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2338 on: October 31, 2023, 08:36:59 AM »
Ordered my first Heroin since there was sale going on and it's the Space Egg II. Stoked to ride one finally.

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2339 on: November 02, 2023, 06:18:11 AM »
Have to admit, I really love the chunkier eggs from Heroin. Stood on one today and immidiately felt it's going to be better for me than Huffer for example. It seems 32" in lenght and 14.25-14.5." wb is optimal for me. Also love how these dont even feel super big because of the slight taper.