Author Topic: Skate Kitchen  (Read 8344 times)

bawtawd5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 134
Re: Skate Kitchen
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2018, 03:32:08 PM »
Real shit she got a beef jerky sponsor so by her logic don't sell out to movie companies or fashion companies only corpo contest bs, if a little girl connects more to a NY skater girl more than a padded up bowl skater and it gets her stoked to skate who are we to say anything?

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2018, 04:44:10 PM »
Is it just me or do any of you hate the way movies are shot and made these days

the camera is moving constantly. the cuts are really abrupt. it’s like the perspective of someone with add. I think it comes from everyone learning similar stuff at film school. a lot of modern fiction writers sound the same too. probably from having creative writing mfas from schools whose graduates get publishing contracts easily.

Expand Quote
whatever, haters can hate, but at the end of the day, the world is ready for a film like this, girls are ready for a film like this. Rodrigo TX put up money to produce this and if he signed off on it, that makes it even more legit. to me, it kinda doesn't matter if these kids really skate or not. as long as they can do a decent job capturing some of the actual dynamics of growing up as a skater girl, that's what the point of the film is. there might also be subtle nods to Kids and other coming-of-age films in this, who knows?
[close]

It’s pretty Much a wannabe kids but instead of gritty portrayal of being a skate rat New Yorker in the early 90s it’s the drama of being a rich teenage girl who happens to skate in Manhattan . Lame.

something about it screams gentrification to me except instead of rich people from the california ‘burbs it’s rich new yorkers.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 04:45:42 PM by ChuckRamone »

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2018, 04:56:55 PM »
Nicole is a g. What she's saying is spot on, I run across female skaters who I've never even heard of before on instagram that fucking rip.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Jerkstore

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -154
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2018, 05:30:40 PM »
this girl is all over instagram yet she can barely ollie a 5 stair

jawano

• Rep: -16
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2018, 05:50:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Can Jaden Smith actually skate? "I saw you at the park you were ripping" sounded so forced. Hope the film doesnt copy Kids too much
[close]

You tell me if he can skate.  Rachelle and these kids suck and need to go the fuck away. Leave it to New Yorkers to make skating look wack as fuck.

wow that push is bad.  he acts like he can skate better in "cali" because there are fewer cracks. did he actually claim he could kickflip and skate all day? just no. vid or its bullshit.

the movie looks wack in the same way street dreams is wack. ill watch it on netflix but im not paying to see it by itself.

bawtawdinfinity

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2018, 05:52:39 PM »
Who really cares what's popular on Instagram though?

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2018, 06:35:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Who really cares what's popular on Instagram though?

Clearly movie producers do
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2018, 07:56:56 PM »
Who ran the skate kitchen blog site 10+ years ago? Get on some IP litigation shit and shut this corny shit down.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 539
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2018, 09:26:33 PM »
that was not what i thought i was clicking on

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2018, 09:44:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Is it just me or do any of you hate the way movies are shot and made these days
[close]

the camera is moving constantly. the cuts are really abrupt. it’s like the perspective of someone with add. I think it comes from everyone learning similar stuff at film school. a lot of modern fiction writers sound the same too. probably from having creative writing mfas from schools whose graduates get publishing contracts easily.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
whatever, haters can hate, but at the end of the day, the world is ready for a film like this, girls are ready for a film like this. Rodrigo TX put up money to produce this and if he signed off on it, that makes it even more legit. to me, it kinda doesn't matter if these kids really skate or not. as long as they can do a decent job capturing some of the actual dynamics of growing up as a skater girl, that's what the point of the film is. there might also be subtle nods to Kids and other coming-of-age films in this, who knows?
[close]

It’s pretty Much a wannabe kids but instead of gritty portrayal of being a skate rat New Yorker in the early 90s it’s the drama of being a rich teenage girl who happens to skate in Manhattan . Lame.
[close]

something about it screams gentrification to me except instead of rich people from the california ‘burbs it’s rich new yorkers.

The shaky cam is called “hand held”.  No one at (a good) film school would ever be taught to want to use that.  Hand held is a tool used to convey a cinema verite aspect (as if this was a documentary instead of something scripted) though it also can be used to convey insecurity, panic, or danger when used as a break from fixed shots on a tripod or steadicam.  Handheld is also easy to set up and use, particularly with amateur actors, and looks like an greenhorn’s idea of what arty shots look like.

Sad Hippo

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2018, 10:20:27 PM »
I would watch the fuck out of a skate cooking show, but I am too old for this shit.

Prawn Cocktail

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2018, 10:23:55 PM »
I'll hold my judgement till I see the thing.

Its weird how anything teenage girls seem to like is just seen as pure bullshit by a lot of society, I think it would be pretty hard to be a teenage girl.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2018, 10:37:30 PM »
I would watch the fuck out of a skate cooking show, but I am too old for this shit.

A show where skaters with similar talents or skills out of skating going against each other would be interesting.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

shark tits

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2018, 11:29:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A show where skaters with similar talents or skills out of skating going against each other would be interesting.
make them bake and deliver pizzas around nyc.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2018, 11:34:22 PM »

I’m surprised this isn’t some dumb ETN show.  “the Grill of It All” or “Misfed Youth”

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1374
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2018, 11:45:28 PM »

Sad Hippo

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2018, 11:48:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m surprised this isn’t some dumb ETN show.  “the Grill of It All” or “Misfed Youth”
Vice should pick it up, chopped style, hosted by Rick McCrank. Matty Matheson, Action Bronson, and the weed guy as judges. Would watch.

skatefarm

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2018, 12:22:41 AM »
Please tell me Ted is in this as himself as a coke dealer.

Fuck this made me laugh.

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2018, 01:05:06 AM »
I went to a screening of this the other day.

It’s actually pretty good.

Not as good as KIDS. But better than Grind / Street Dreams

There’s actually a few subtle nod’s to KIDS in it. (Including a cameo from a certain key figure from that film )

Thanos916

• Rep: 25
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2018, 01:13:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm diggin these titles as theme episodes. How about "One Steak Beyond" or "Limecode"? "First Loave"? Plus many options with any Baker vid.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 01:20:18 AM by Thanos916 »

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2018, 01:28:02 AM »
Who ran the skate kitchen blog site 10+ years ago? Get on some IP litigation shit and shut this corny shit down.

what was it? chick skaters in new york, but not these ones?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2018, 01:33:01 AM »

There’s actually a few subtle nod’s to KIDS in it. (Including a cameo from a certain key figure from that film )

Casper the Ghost

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2018, 03:23:43 AM »

"I HAVE NO LEGS!"

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 539
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2018, 03:28:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I'm diggin these titles as theme episodes. How about "One Steak Beyond" or "Limecode"? "First Loave"? Plus many options with any Baker vid.

Baker has a Danish

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2018, 03:56:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Baker has a Danish
'bake and destroy' would then be
the confectioner / pastry special.

JeremyScottofChapman

• Rep: -21
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2018, 04:54:34 AM »
This shit is so corny.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2018, 05:07:56 AM »
watched 30 seconds of that and realized id rather watch KIDS for the millionth time instead.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2018, 05:54:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Can Jaden Smith actually skate? "I saw you at the park you were ripping" sounded so forced. Hope the film doesnt copy Kids too much
[close]
what if they redid kids but the genders were reversed? and they yell breeder at straight couples in washington square and beat up a white guy after skating on his foot. then at the end jenny can get casper's dick hard while he's sleeping 'don't worry, it's me jenny'.

Haha. What about the opening scene? :^0
No butterscotch yo

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2018, 05:55:46 AM »
Y'all are LATE!

http://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=98162.msg2741581#msg2741581

But glad it's being discussed. Hopefully I can make a screening. And what j...soy said.
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2018, 06:04:37 AM »
Jaden Smith is a kook.