Author Topic: Skate Kitchen  (Read 8350 times)

SFblah

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Skate Kitchen
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2018, 06:28:13 AM »
Saw this last week at our film festival where all the girls and director were in attendance. All I could think was it’s the female perspective of Kids. My wife and her friend were bummed they put Jaden Smith in it to give it a name actor.

Overall it’s cool for girls who skate because there were so many more there than I knew existed in Dallas.

Note: The twin hispanic girls with curly hair are fine as hell in person.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2018, 06:56:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is it just me or do any of you hate the way movies are shot and made these days
[close]

the camera is moving constantly. the cuts are really abrupt. it’s like the perspective of someone with add. I think it comes from everyone learning similar stuff at film school. a lot of modern fiction writers sound the same too. probably from having creative writing mfas from schools whose graduates get publishing contracts easily.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
whatever, haters can hate, but at the end of the day, the world is ready for a film like this, girls are ready for a film like this. Rodrigo TX put up money to produce this and if he signed off on it, that makes it even more legit. to me, it kinda doesn't matter if these kids really skate or not. as long as they can do a decent job capturing some of the actual dynamics of growing up as a skater girl, that's what the point of the film is. there might also be subtle nods to Kids and other coming-of-age films in this, who knows?
[close]

It’s pretty Much a wannabe kids but instead of gritty portrayal of being a skate rat New Yorker in the early 90s it’s the drama of being a rich teenage girl who happens to skate in Manhattan . Lame.
[close]

something about it screams gentrification to me except instead of rich people from the california ‘burbs it’s rich new yorkers.
[close]

The shaky cam is called “hand held”.  No one at (a good) film school would ever be taught to want to use that.  Hand held is a tool used to convey a cinema verite aspect (as if this was a documentary instead of something scripted) though it also can be used to convey insecurity, panic, or danger when used as a break from fixed shots on a tripod or steadicam.  Handheld is also easy to set up and use, particularly with amateur actors, and looks like an greenhorn’s idea of what arty shots look like.

I never studied filmmmaking formally so I’m not doing a good job of explaining it, but I get what SB was saying about the way modern movies are shot. there’s something similar about them right down to the way the trailers are edited.

puff daddy

• Rep: -13
  • all we do is watch mtv cribs
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2018, 02:11:22 PM »
Kids: Urban Outfitters Edition

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2018, 03:08:30 PM »
This trash makes me embarrassed to be a skateboarder..

maggotspawn

• Rep: 4
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2018, 04:09:41 PM »
I saw a bit of this in Dallas at a film festival. We left early. I'm not into watching some young girl coming of age, even if there's skating in it.