Author Topic: Mental Health issues and skateboarding  (Read 4366 times)

D.O.T. DIY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -45
Mental Health issues and skateboarding
« on: July 06, 2018, 04:17:41 PM »
I used to deal with a lot of anxiety and depression issues when I was younger, I always turned to skateboarding rather than eating whatever pills I got prescribed at the time. Any time my issues start to become a problem now, my brain basically goes into a mental state of doing nothing but thinking about skating now. Anyone else deal with mental health issues like this? Pills are not the answer, at least for me.

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
Re: Mental Health issues and skateboarding
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 04:22:29 PM »
so you just throw your board and stuff a lot?
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

D.O.T. DIY

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 04:35:10 PM »
so you just throw your board and stuff a lot?

Na, I actually skate. I stopped throwing my board probably 10 years ago. If I can’t skate, that’s all my mind will think about. It’s almost like it goes into auto pilot. I used to deal with some tough shit. I wouldn’t be able to even go outside or answer the door type shit. I may be crazy, but skating has helped keep me closer to staying sane than going over the edge. Its a lot harder to explain than it may seem.

itsyourdad

• Rep: 56
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 04:43:30 PM »
sounds like you might be dissociating / depersonalizing to cope with some form of previous trauma, and using skateboarding as a coping mechanism.
pills might not be the answer for you, but i would definitely consider talking to a mental health professional in your area on a regular basis.

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 04:55:13 PM »
If it weren't for skateboarding I would be an irritable antsy asshole.

bawtawdinfinity

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 05:01:08 PM »
Maybe just stop lookin at skateboard stuff for a while. Some pills are good tho if you need a little break from your thoughts every now and then.

D.O.T. DIY

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 05:25:38 PM »
sounds like you might be dissociating / depersonalizing to cope with some form of previous trauma, and using skateboarding as a coping mechanism.
pills might not be the answer for you, but i would definitely consider talking to a mental health professional in your area on a regular basis.

That’s what you may not understand. 99% of mental health professionals want to cram ssri’s and benzodiazepines down your throat like candy and say “this will help.” I have managed to find something that helps but doesn’t zombify my brain like pills and shit do. I used to go see dr’s and shit, but that never did me any good like skating has. I may be using skateboarding to cope with something, but as far as I’m concerned it has done more good for me and my mental health than any pill or doctor has or could do.

shark tits

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 05:33:43 PM »
are you prescribing skateboarding w/out a license?
that's a sin like selling shirts w/out having a DIY.
generally i agree, for anxiety or depression or heartbreak you're better of skating the pain away than disappearing into a bottle of any kind but i'm a therapist not a psychiatrist so i can't tell anyone to take pills or skate. i could loose my license.
i realized why most people who throw shit fits when they're out skating do so. it's not because they can't land whatever trick they're trying although on the surface, it is.

Bloodonmydick

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 05:56:29 PM »
We all have mental issues. I am dealing with addiction issues at the moment and it sucks.

D.O.T. DIY

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 06:01:40 PM »
generally i agree, for anxiety or depression or heartbreak you're better of skating the pain away than disappearing into a bottle of any kind but i'm a therapist not a psychiatrist so i can't tell anyone to take pills or skate. i could loose my license.
i realized why most people who throw shit fits when they're out skating do so. it's not because they can't land whatever trick they're trying although on the surface, it is.

I was just seeing if anyone else dealt with mental health issues using skateboarding

shark tits

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 06:06:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was just seeing if anyone else dealt with mental health issues using skateboarding
i'm busting your balls. i think we all do.
even 'normal' people are fucked up and have issues [prolly the more normal they appear is commensurate w/ how fucked up their internal dialogue is] but there's something inherently crazy about skating, especially as an adult.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 06:09:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That’s what you may not understand. 99% of mental health professionals want to cram ssri’s and benzodiazepines down your throat like candy and say “this will help.” I have managed to find something that helps but doesn’t zombify my brain like pills and shit do. I used to go see dr’s and shit, but that never did me any good like skating has. I may be using skateboarding to cope with something, but as far as I’m concerned it has done more good for me and my mental health than any pill or doctor has or could do.

mental health professionals know what they're doing.  i trust mine, and don't think medication "zombifies" my brain.  there was a time when skateboarding was enough to keep it at bay, but that only lasts so long.  don't write off your doctors, they're not out to hurt you. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2018, 06:18:43 PM »
Mental health issues... So hot right now.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2018, 06:38:20 PM »
I find micro dosing psychopsilocybin immensely helpful. I wish I could get on a ketamine regiment somehow because I've read so much positive news about it, but I don't know how to get it and I don't know how to take it.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

micky682

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2018, 06:56:16 PM »
I find micro dosing psychopsilocybin immensely helpful. I wish I could get on a ketamine regiment somehow because I've read so much positive news about it, but I don't know how to get it and I don't know how to take it.
That's awesome you're able to microdose and even find psilocybin. In my area the only psychedelics and hallucinogens readily available are research drugs like 25i.

Slacks

• Rep: 0
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2018, 07:28:27 PM »
I’ve tried to skate through mental health issues and it got to a point where the anxiety crept in. I couldn’t even push around much and it just fucks it all up. I’ve had more shitty doctors than good ones, but the good ones have listened to me and honestly helped a lot. Taking the right meds helped a lot and I never thought I’d be a supporter.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2018, 10:11:45 PM »
I stopped describing what I went through as anxiety when everyone else apparently had anxiety.
I realized what I was dealing with was way, way different. I was more on the severe panic attack/ near nervous breakdown side of things. I’m good now tho.

If sometimes your brain misfires and tells you that you’re 100% dying right now then hit me up, I have advice. Social anxiety is just normal shit IMO.

Also I’m drunk and shouldn’t be giving anyone advice rn

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2018, 10:16:03 PM »
I used to sit through a lot of upper degree classes but never got a doctorate but self diagnosing is right there

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 10:18:55 PM »
Lift weights and meditate instead of taking drugs

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2018, 10:52:06 PM »
who you trying to get crazy with, ese? don't you know I'm loco?

Yu Dum

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2018, 07:25:33 AM »
I second microdosing as a means of relief from depressive states. Skating while microdosing amplifies these affects.
Pills aren’t for everyone, but they do help people with serious chemical imbalances.
I was prescribed Zoloft at age 14 after being diagnosed as manic-depressive. Stopped taking them by the time I was 16 and have been working through my issues since by way of skating and personal reflection into my tendencies.

All strength to you if you are struggling. There are options beyond relying solely on skating for relief.

Horsemeat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2018, 09:52:33 AM »
Happy to hear you found something that helps you out. I think mental health issues are way more prevalent and way more normal than people think, not that they aren’t serious. More so that a lot of people have issues they don’t realize or deal with.

I think skating can be a huge help to mental issues, exercise and engaging for your brain. It’s all positive. Definitely has helped me deal with my own depression and anxiety. Good luck to you in the future.

Coolhats

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2018, 05:25:49 AM »
I think skateboarding works as a form of escapism. It’s nice to get out and be able to just focus on one thing, and most likely enjoy your time but once you stop the underlying issue is still there. It is good if you have a good group of friends that you can open up to and be able to talk comfortably with.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1960
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2018, 07:22:35 AM »
I've talked about it a little bit on here in other threads, but I've dealt with anxiety and depression on and off for a large portion of my life. And yes, skateboarding has become a very positive outlet to help curb those feelings even temporarily. But don't underestimate seeking professional help. There seems to be some sorta stigma that therapists are for those who are on the brink of suicide, but that's not the case at all. I went to a pretty dark place mentally around this time last year, and speaking to a professional who will provide objective insight to your problems is much more valuable than a friend being a "yes man", as well intended as that may be.

All of that said, as corny as this sounds, I really don't know what I would be doing if I didn't have skateboarding. It's still the best <3

LemThurdy

• Rep: -15
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2018, 07:28:08 AM »
Any type of hobby to stay busy and positive is a good way of dealing with any type of stress. Personally, I’ve never used pills but I don’t think that should ever be the answer it just creates more problems later from what I’ve seen.

shitcunt

• Rep: 4
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2018, 09:00:55 AM »
Skateboarding works great until you get hurt. Then things get real dark real quick.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2018, 09:33:52 AM »
Skateboarding works great until you get hurt. Then things get real dark real quick.

this.

and don't listen to the stigma about medication that everyone is throwing around.  its very necessary for a lot of us. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Joclo

• Rep: 19
  • Just wiggin out
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2018, 10:11:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That's awesome you're able to microdose and even find psilocybin. In my area the only psychedelics and hallucinogens readily available are research drugs like 25i.

I've found macrodosing helps me as long as I don't experience "ego death"

sododgy

• Rep: 8
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2018, 02:09:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

this.

and don't listen to the stigma about medication that everyone is throwing around.  its very necessary for a lot of us.

^this^

I've seen medications destroy people I knew (my mom on zoloft) and watched those same medications radically improve the lives of others.

My girlfriend saw a therapist for years but wouldn't ever start meds because of this absurd notion of it zombifying or changing who she is. Starting Wellbutrin, and later adding Zoloft to that mix, based on giving the drugs their proper adjustment period and continuing to work with her therapist as well as report the efficacy/effects of the medicines has radically improved her everyday life.

Moral of the story? For the vast majority of people, mental health issues don't solve themselves. Period. Taking your mind of off it can help in the moment, but if you care at all about the long term, find a mental health professional (not a general practitioner) you trust (no matter how many you have try). Work with them, explain your worry with drugs if they even suggest them (which they may not), but be willing to try what they suggest when you've built appropriate trust. If you start them, let people in your life know that you're starting them so they can keep an out for changes in your behavior (be it positive or negative). If some don't work, don't be afraid to try others.

So many people don't understand drugs and have seen too many movie depictions. I dealt with serious depression for like 15 years (with fairly serious suicidal tendencies, especially towards the end), and eventually came out of it. But that's 15 years of my life I basically lost because I was too tired, scared, and frozen to get help. And I have no solid answer for why the sky cleared, and would never suggest anyone wait it out and hope it gets better.

You know why so many anti depressants list suicidal behavior as a side effect? It's because they can restore energy, and many people who are suicidal don't act on it because their depression keeps the too tired and down to make the effort. Now imagine not being actively suicidal and being reminded what energy and motivation are like.

I'm not trying to push drugs on anyone, but the idea that all doctors (mental health professionals especially) are out to just feed you drugs and make a buck or that all pharmaceuticals are just for profit is stupid and dangerous. The pharmaceutical industry sucks, and there are tons of shitty doctors, but it isn't difficult to find good ones who literally just want to help and do right by their patients. You don't even know if a therapist will actually want to try and put you on something if you don't seek help from one.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 11:47:22 PM by sododgy »

sododgy

• Rep: 8
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2018, 02:13:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If people are getting RC's in your area, people are getting (or can get) the tried and true classics as well. You just need to meet more people.