Author Topic: Palace power move  (Read 7858 times)

Sad Hippo

Re: Palace power move
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2018, 11:53:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hooray,  let's celebrate our slow assimilation into mainstream sports!
[close]

More like, Hooray, one of the most legitimate skateboard companies out is making money hand over fist, giving it back to skating, all the while not compromising anything about their aesthetic or our culture.

Do you know how much fucking cooler and better for skating as a whole it is to have Palace as an ambassador of culture as opposed to Primitive, Nike, The Berrics, Revive, etc.?

Skateboarding is huge now and there's nothing we can do about that, but I'd much rather have Palace represent us than 99% of any other brands; they stay true to skating.

Dudes just made one of the best full length videos of the last decade on a VHS camera, and have now stepped into the realm of Betamax while world tennis champions are repping their gear; so insane.

They need to make Jamal Smith pro, though.
[close]

This is cool but the most legitimate, best video in 10 years, now using Betamax hyperbole is a bit much.
[close]

Agreed. That whole post read like a Palace marketing statement. Manchurian Candidate confirmed. And I have no idea what Palace is "giving back to skating" that is differentiating themselves from "99% of other brands". I am asking genuinely.

And just so I can keep the rhetoric straight...one thread is golf look is bad but this thread is tennis look is great because one says Palace and the other is Nike? And furthering the thought, Angie Kerber wearing that equates to giving back to skating? Got it.
You really don't see the difference? It's not about the "look" here.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2018, 12:05:30 PM »

The commentary in this thread is all a matter of perspective. Subjective posts are subjective.

I don't consider Palace a "skateboard company" even in the least. They are a lifestyle brand that happens to make skateboards. Lev Tanju is a hype merchant that is a master of marketing. Clever, slickly packaged and a lot you eat it up hook line and sinker. It's a brilliant study. Can't knock the hustle.

I'd skate a Revive board before I'd ever skate a Palace board.

EDIT: Wait, SadHippo, you're not really saying Nike is responsible for a "golf look" in skateboarding are you? I don't even know what the fuck a "golf look" is in skating. Help me out with some examples if you could please.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 12:12:14 PM by heritage »

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2018, 12:08:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Mattchew - as always, I respect the time you put into that reply but can you give me thesis statement.
[close]

I know I ramble, haha

Thesis: Palace is a real deal skateboard company in 2018, a rare feat, and should be respected by the culture at large even if you don't fuck with their aesthetic. See above post for details ;)

Nah, I don't consider your posts a ramble at all. I respect the hell out of the passion and I respect your opinion.

Sad Hippo

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2018, 12:21:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The commentary in this thread is all a matter of perspective. Subjective posts are subjective.

I don't consider Palace a "skateboard company" even in the least. They are a lifestyle brand that happens to make skateboards. Lev Tanju is a hype merchant that is a master of marketing. Clever, slickly packaged and a lot you eat it up hook line and sinker. It's a brilliant study. Can't knock the hustle.

EDIT: Wait, SadHippo, you're not really saying Nike is responsible for a "golf look" in skateboarding are you? I don't even know what the fuck a "golf look" is in skating. Help me out with some examples if you could please.
That's not at all what I'm saying.  I'm not going to get in to it with you since you don't even think they're a skate company, there's no point in arguing if that's your POV... 

You don't think Palace is a skateboarding company and won't support, but you're an unapologetic Nike fanboy?  That's rich.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2018, 12:26:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
That's not at all what I'm saying.  I'm not going to get in to it with you since you don't even think they're a skate company, there's no point in arguing if that's your POV... 

You don't think Palace is a skateboarding company and won't support, but you're an unapologetic Nike fanboy?  That's rich.

You've officially lost me now. From my post that disagrees with yours, now I am a "Nike fanboy"? Sheesh. Subjective Cat hits keep on coming. I was just asking what separates Palace from all the other skate companies and what they are giving back to you personally and to skateboarding. No need to take this personal and dish out insults.

Sad Hippo

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2018, 12:32:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

You've officially lost me now. From my post that disagrees with yours, now I am a "Nike fanboy"? Sheesh. Subjective Cat hits keep on coming. I was just asking what separates Palace from all the other skate companies and what they are giving back to you personally and to skateboarding. No need to take this personal and dish out insults.
How are you lost on me saying I’m not getting in to it with you?
And my last point... You don’t think Palace is a skate company and won’t support, but will support Nike(not a skate company). DO YOU SEE IT NOW?

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2018, 12:35:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
And my last point... You don’t think Palace is a skate company and won’t support, but will support Nike(not a skate company). DO YOU SEE IT NOW?

I don't understand why you are so upset about this. My point was that you are getting fired up and not answering my question. Just take a deep breath and explain to me what Palace is giving back to skateboarding. What makes them a "skateboard company" in your words. That's all. You seem emotionally connected to the brand so it shouldn't be difficult. I am asking you to convince me. Unlike 95% of the world today, I am always willing to listen to opinions that differ from my own in an effort to better understand what I am missing. Now take a deep breath and post something reasonable.

Sad Hippo

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2018, 01:41:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I don't understand why you are so upset about this. My point was that you are getting fired up and not answering my question. Just take a deep breath and explain to me what Palace is giving back to skateboarding. What makes them a "skateboard company" in your words. That's all. You seem emotionally connected to the brand so it shouldn't be difficult. I am asking you to convince me. Unlike 95% of the world today, I am always willing to listen to opinions that differ from my own in an effort to better understand what I am missing. Now take a deep breath and post something reasonable.
LOL, shut up, getting all upset and lashing out at people... Matt already did it. He laid it out perfectly.

Paul Cicero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -300
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2018, 01:49:37 PM »
If Lucien, Lucas, and Benny are getting paid I back it. Benny spent way too long on stereo and deserves that paper.

For doing what exactly?

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 92
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2018, 02:07:44 PM »
In other news, I hear rumors of an LA Palace store coming soon...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 02:18:12 PM by Sold Out »

somedudefromnj

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2018, 03:13:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
LOL, shut up, getting all upset and lashing out at people... Matt already did it. He laid it out perfectly.

If mwadlands was free, that's how they are giving back. Saving southbank is also how they give back

I can't believe anyone would skate a revive...

...unless they were broke...

...and had a can of spraypaint

Pavementi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
  • Fuck it
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2018, 03:35:15 PM »
If Lucien, Lucas, and Benny are getting paid I back it. Benny spent way too long on stereo and deserves that paper.
I think Lucas deserves it too. Pretty sure Cliche wasn't handing out 10K/month checks while he was on there...
Like Daewon said: if skateboarding is a ten story building, Rodney is on eleventh floor.