Author Topic: The scummiest of all sell outs  (Read 24256 times)

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
The scummiest of all sell outs
« on: July 18, 2018, 02:00:16 PM »
Just saw this post on Arto Saari’s instagram:

Paid partnership with American Express.
Advertising taking on high interest debt to build a few ramps.

Who is being targeted? Young people.

You don’t pay a pro skateboarder to advertise your credit card company to baby boomers, you do it to advertise it to young people.

Why do credit card companies target young people?

Because young people DONT have money and don’t understand the kind of debt they are getting into, and can be kept in debt at high interest for years or even decades as a cash cow for these companies.

Selling skateboarders into debt slavery for a couple bucks and a few ramps?
FUCK YOU.
I used to be a fan, but anybody who tries to target me or members of my community to take on high interest debt is not my friend, or anybody I’d ever respect.

Say what you want about red bull, monster, rockstar, nike, adidas, converse, etc. They all are problematic, but none even compare to pushing credit card debt on young adults.
I’m done with Arto and hope other skateboarders realize how fucking evil advertising “bro! I just used a credit card to build some ramps!” is and avoid it at all costs.
Its disgusting
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
Re: The scummiest of all sell outs
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 02:04:46 PM »
call thetis, he can get you of debt with a small business loan

HangtenNoseblunt

• Rep: -189
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 02:06:09 PM »
if you're dumb enough to take on a high interest loan to build a few ramps cuz you saw something on artos instagram you are probably just stupid. im happy arto getting money from his skills still
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 02:22:40 PM by HangtenNoseblunt »
Thank goodness we have HangtenNoseblunt in here as the voice of reason.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 02:14:51 PM »
Just saw this post on Arto Saari’s instagram:

Paid partnership with American Express.
Advertising taking on high interest debt to build a few ramps.

Who is being targeted? Young people.

You don’t pay a pro skateboarder to advertise your credit card company to baby boomers, you do it to advertise it to young people.

Why do credit card companies target young people?

Because young people DONT have money and don’t understand the kind of debt they are getting into, and can be kept in debt at high interest for years or even decades as a cash cow for these companies.

Selling skateboarders into debt slavery for a couple bucks and a few ramps?
FUCK YOU.
I used to be a fan, but anybody who tries to target me or members of my community to take on high interest debt is not my friend, or anybody I’d ever respect.

Say what you want about red bull, monster, rockstar, nike, adidas, converse, etc. They all are problematic, but none even compare to pushing credit card debt on young adults.
I’m done with Arto and hope other skateboarders realize how fucking evil advertising “bro! I just used a credit card to build some ramps!” is and avoid it at all costs.
Its disgusting
Lame. I get its the big money era for skateboarding but can we try to support brands that are at least involved in the industry. I dont think amex has ever even sponsored a skate contest which is the easiest way for a mega corp to support skateboarding.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 02:41:58 PM by HATE! »

shit_for_brains

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 02:20:14 PM »
This is gross

shark tits

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 02:21:01 PM »
^ i was wondering the same thing, chipped tail.
arto schmarto, how betrayed do ya'll think i felt when my celebrity crush of my 20s-early 30s and 'the cute one' from sleater-kinney, carrie brownstein did the same.
maybe she was already sold out being on that tv show and selling to yuppies but damn, what happened to punk ethics and not being a shill?
bill hicks would spit in your face, carrie!

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 02:35:18 PM »
^ i was wondering the same thing, chipped tail.
arto schmarto, how betrayed do ya'll think i felt when my celebrity crush of my 20s-early 30s and 'the cute one' from sleater-kinney, carrie brownstein did the same.
maybe she was already sold out being on that tv show and selling to yuppies but damn, what happened to punk ethics and not being a shill?
bill hicks would spit in your face, carrie!

ewwww. 

especially considering

earer of the flag from the beginning
Now, who would have believed this riot girl's a cynic?
But they took our ideas to their marketing stars
And now I'm spending all my days at girlpower.com
Trying to buy back a little piece of me
(Everywhere you go they say
"Hello, weren't you the one that sold your soul?"
Everywhere you go they say
"Oh no, weren't you the one that let us go?")

[Chorus]
And I think that I sometimes might have wished
For something more than to be a size six
But now my inspiration rests
In between my beauty magazines and my credit card bills

[Verse 2]
I've been crawling up so long on your stairway to heaven
And now I no longer believe that I wanna get in
And will there always be concerts where women are raped?
Watch me make up my mind instead of my face
The number one must have is that we are safe
(Everywhere you go, teenage is the rage
Inside your pants and on the front page
Everywhere you look, it's die or be born
If you can't decide, it's your own war)

[Chorus]
And I think that I sometimes must have wished
For something more than to be a size six
But now my inspiration rests
In between my beauty magazines and my credit card bills

[Bridge]
No more
No more
No more

[Outro]
And for all the ladies out there
I wish we could write more than the next marketing bid
Culture is what we make it, yes it is
Now is the time
Now is the time
Now is the time to invent
Invent, invent, invent
Invent
hardly art, hardly starving

ungzilla

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 02:35:27 PM »
doxxing Gip is ABD by Sinclair, try a different trick

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 02:38:11 PM »
if you're dumb enough to take on a high interest loan to build a few ramps cuz you saw something on artos instagram you are probably just stupid. im happy arto getting money from his skills still young and still figuring out the world, making mistakes that might cost you for years to come
Fixed that for accuracy.
Obviously credit card debt is foolish to get into, but that’s exactly why its scummy to sell that shit

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -218
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 02:43:59 PM »
Arto is like any band you liked from 15+ years ago

they may technically still be active, but you only care about Sorry and Really Sorry

shark tits

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 02:45:06 PM »
oh man, hellmans!
i really dug s-k, call the dr, dig me out and hot rock but i kinda didn't fuck w/ them too much after that. she [or corin in that song i think] was all but begging for credit card relief/to do a commerial, huh?
yeah, that's def corin's song [carrie sings 'modern girl' of that album].
youth decay is a dece song from latter day s-k but they really don't do it for me after that.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 02:45:20 PM »
I can't wait to see the Pay Day Loans squad.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 02:46:59 PM »
Feel like it's still not as terrible as Red Bull & Monster, kids chug that shit and it will kill you.

Also the scummiest sponsorship I've seen was the US Navy sponsoring the X games this year. That shit was disgusting, advertising killing yourself to a bunch of teenagers who are obviously not risk averse (into skateboarding) and probably from the lower income bracket families, it's almost creepy how well that marketing probably works. Also, between the runs having people like Nyjah come on screen and say "If I didn't start skateboarding, I definitely would have joined to US Navy..."

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 02:49:21 PM »
The older I get the more I realize how so many companies/industries profit and are totally built around the average person having poor financial literacy and taking advantage of that. Gipper is right, they know exactly who they’re targeting and it’s pretty fucked. Arto himself may or may not even realize how sketch this is or the magnitude of this kind of endorsement but it’s definitely not a good look.

Now I know the homeless crack addict crowd on here is gonna act like this isn’t a big deal but this more than just a pro getting paid by a corpo sponsor. This is bigger than skateboarding, it’s fucking BANKS finding more & more ways to put the next generation in consumer debt. On top of that, you already know they’re trying to dumb us down with poor public school funding, little to no “real world” financial education in school, and asinine student loans that put you in tens of thousands of debt before you get your first job outta college. Millennials & Gen Y or whatever are legit under attack by these institutions and if you aren’t on top of your shit, YOU WILL GET GOT.

I know I’m going on a tangent here but forreal tho...peep game and do everything you can to educate yourself finiancially, because this shit crazy and this little “marketing campaign” they’re doing is definitely gonna work on at least a few and more likely than not, if an arto sarri ad is all it took to make you apply for a credit card, you’re probably susceptible to a whole lot of other financially fuckery as well
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 02:51:41 PM by DaSk8D00D »

ungzilla

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 02:53:46 PM »
it's too late i just maxed out my Amex card buying crete

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 02:54:47 PM »
Arto is like any band you liked from 15+ years ago

they may technically still be active, but you only care about Sorry and Really Sorry

And feedback and Menikmati and Mindfield.

That being said, you're right and fuck that instagram post.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 02:55:29 PM »
"Yeah Arto took a sponsorship deal so now his entire career is ruined for me, guess I'll whine on slap" 

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 02:56:39 PM »
fuck this

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 02:56:57 PM »
it's too late i just maxed out my Amex card buying crete

Shit is jokes but I guarantee some 22 year old with a shit credit score is gonna do the same thing on a $250 credit limit and be paying minimum payment on it for years to come

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 03:01:42 PM »
"Yeah Arto took a sponsorship deal so now his entire career is ruined for me, guess I'll whine on slap"
“Some dude criticized a pro I like for doing something sketchy, guess I’ll whine on slap”
See, works for you too! But I guess you have a point. Criticism on slap is pointless considering how few people in the industry care about it. Remember how nothing happened to that Nazi who rode for Santa Cruz? Oh wait...

Pretty Serious

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 03:04:16 PM »
Gonna have to agree here.  I wasn't stupid enough to sign up for a credit card and slowly sink myself in debt at 18, but when they offered me a whopping 50 free dollars to do so, I knew I was smart enough to outsmart them.  I bought a couple CDs and a Mudhoney shirt. 

Then a waitress takes your card to start an open tab, then you're the cool guy that can throw that girl's drink on your tab.  Then a bill you can't quite cover is due, then a tooth needs fixing, then your monthly minimum is $38, then it's $183 and soon you're on your way to lifelong debt slavery or bankruptcy.  Maybe amex released Arto from his own mountain of debt in exchange for his soul?

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2018, 03:04:39 PM »
Thanks but I prefer mastercard for all of my crippling dept needs.

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2018, 03:08:02 PM »
it's not that hard to not go into debt
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

sluggers

• Rep: -407
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2018, 03:16:21 PM »

Also the scummiest sponsorship I've seen was the US Navy sponsoring the X games this year. That shit was disgusting, advertising killing yourself to a bunch of teenagers who are obviously not risk averse (into skateboarding) and probably from the lower income bracket families, it's almost creepy how well that marketing probably works. Also, between the runs having people like Nyjah come on screen and say "If I didn't start skateboarding, I definitely would have joined to US Navy..."

But hey, Guantanamo has a skate park, so you can skate when you aren't torturing people!

bo bice

• Rep: 85
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2018, 03:26:29 PM »
Great, this is the end of skater-owned credit card companies

Sidewalk Funk.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2018, 03:26:41 PM »
Feel like it's still not as terrible as Red Bull & Monster, kids chug that shit and it will kill you.

I recall the US Army (or maybe it was the Marines?) having ads in Transworld for years as well

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2018, 03:27:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
“Some dude criticized a pro I like for doing something sketchy, guess I’ll whine on slap”
See, works for you too! But I guess you have a point. Criticism on slap is pointless considering how few people in the industry care about it. Remember how nothing happened to that Nazi who rode for Santa Cruz? Oh wait...
Oh great, I had no idea that taking a sponsorship deal from Amex was the same thing as having an actual neo Nazi as a figurehead for skateboarding. I think your horse is a little high there, Gip.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2018, 03:28:00 PM »
ChromeBallIncident: Well said. So are there any words of wisdom you’d like to offer to the kids out there trying to make the next Eastern Exposure?

Dan Wolfe: Don’t start buying gear with credit cards, straight up. I’m not in debt anymore but for the longest time I was in terrible debt. Save up to buy your gear, don’t put it on a credit card. Interest sucks. That’s really my biggest piece of advice.

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2018, 03:29:20 PM »
took out a small student loan in 2010, took a break after associates and the payments stopped me from getting a bachelors.

never had a credit card, rent is enough of a monthly payment. people in debt are stressed out 24/7

I wonder who pitched this idea and how arto of all people was chosen....

wu tang joe

• Rep: -1
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2018, 03:33:20 PM »
I use a home depot card for projects all the time its great. no intrest if you pay it back in 90 days and you earn points towards discounts and cash back.

If you know how to budget and not overspend credits not so bad big budget items like hotels and flights especially.