Author Topic: Jonah Hill's movie "Mid 90s"  (Read 118724 times)

ohcomeon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3

sluggers

• Rep: -407
Re: Jonah Hill's movie "Mid 90s"
« Reply #331 on: October 18, 2018, 08:50:51 AM »

jjenkins48

• Rep: 0
« Reply #332 on: October 18, 2018, 10:45:47 AM »
I’m gonna watch this movie cause why not.

But,

I’ve been watching the interviews for this movie and Jonah Hill just seems like a loser, acting really weird saying just cringeworthy shit. I swear he wasn’t this insufferable in the past. Especially the Breakfast Club interview. Seems happy tho so maybe he’s just hyped on himself rn.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #333 on: October 18, 2018, 11:26:04 AM »

??? umm seeing him on BC was kind of weird

GollyIamGully

• Rep: -8
« Reply #334 on: October 18, 2018, 11:41:53 AM »

Pretty early in the interview, Crob says that Jonah Hill was a local and was known around and shit. This isnt to say Jonah isnt a complete nutsack...just a thing i happened across and thought of you.

Dermbot

« Reply #335 on: October 18, 2018, 11:47:44 AM »
saw it last night. it was really good. Lots of nostalgia obviously. lots of spot on accuracy with skating in the driveway solo at night, losing connection with your parents. When the kid first goes into the shop, the kid accept him in the group by kind of hazing him and talking shit to him and belittling him. That kind of stuff was pretty accurate and probably something the non skater would understand and how thats kind of cool. Main kid can portray emotions and feelings with his eyes and expressions without saying much and forces you to fill the void with images of ones own childhood. I started skating in '97 so it was really easy for me to fall for it. But yea, it was done really well. wanted to walk out and critique it badly but had nothing but good things as it sparked every memory of what made me think skating was sick in the first place.

quadcuff

• Rep: -6
« Reply #336 on: October 18, 2018, 12:23:11 PM »
looking forward to seeing it, it's probably the closest anyone's got to really representing growing up skating so i can't hate it

quadcuff

• Rep: -6
« Reply #337 on: October 18, 2018, 12:23:46 PM »
the fashion accuracy is pretty horrible. whoever the costume designer is should never work again, nobody was dressing like they were on a 2010s tumblr blog in reality everyone looked like slobs.

i'm sure the costume designer would love to hear from you, you should look them up and give them your opinion

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2549
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #338 on: October 18, 2018, 04:24:32 PM »
2 stars
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/oct/18/mid90s-review-jonah-hills-directorial-debut

Going hard” means taking irresponsible jumps and bashing your skull till it bleeds – but that’s skateboarding, I guess. One need not be enamored with a subculture for it to make great cinema. In real life my encounters with skateers have been almost exclusively negative.

This guy doesn't like skateers.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
« Reply #339 on: October 18, 2018, 05:31:34 PM »
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
« Reply #340 on: October 18, 2018, 05:36:35 PM »
From the Guardian review

"Friendship is good, certainly, but it doesn’t automatically lend itself to enthralling cinema. Certainly not these friends, who just tool around and make jokes without ever saying anything all that meaningful".

Sounds like he nailed being a teenage skatboarder to me.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

finecojeffe

• Rep: 129
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #341 on: October 19, 2018, 07:48:44 AM »

Expand Quote
Going hard” means taking irresponsible jumps and bashing your skull till it bleeds – but that’s skateboarding, I guess. One need not be enamored with a subculture for it to make great cinema. In real life my encounters with skateers have been almost exclusively negative.
[close]

people who dislike groups are usually easily dislikable themselves.

frontsideoverkrook

« Reply #342 on: October 19, 2018, 08:39:00 AM »
if you're sincerely frustrated about this movie's existence, quite frankly my dear, that is fucking embarrassing

sluggers

• Rep: -407
« Reply #343 on: October 19, 2018, 08:46:58 AM »
Skate Kitchen (2018) is where it is at.

Jaden Smith asking in the most morose voice "is she going to be okay?" as if it was the end of her life after hearing a friend rolled her ankle ollieing down a four stair is the best thing ever.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #344 on: October 19, 2018, 09:32:37 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

people who dislike groups are usually easily dislikable themselves.

skater fucked his bitch confirmed
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

feedmeseymour

« Reply #345 on: October 19, 2018, 09:41:08 AM »
Lol

SpankerChief

• Rep: 2
  • Rob_Skate_Lurker_
« Reply #346 on: October 19, 2018, 11:15:18 AM »
this doesn't look bad at all, considering Hollywood's history with skate movies.  Say what you want about Jonah Hill, but this is obviously his passion project and he was definitely skating in LA during that time, so I don't know why we feel the need to judge him so harshly for his interest in the subject matter.

between this and that new Skate Kitchen movie, this summer is going pretty hard on the "Kids" worship though.  (Skate Kitchen = Kids with girls; Mid 90's = Kids on the West Coast).  I guess it seems about that time with the 20 year nostalgia cycle though
Took the words out of my mouth, and then some. I want to believe him in his vision of skating also see the footage at least of Johnna suck attempt skating, also also  not bag on this movie because even Kid's, Wassup Rockers, Street Dreams, had bad acting bad dialogue and mediocre skating. Fuck the only worthwhile actual skate videos and 2 Hollywood Thrashin' and Gleaming the Cube were pretty bad in all above sentiments however if you put  those cheesey movies next to Animal Chin or The Chocolate tour they were on par with corniness barn none.
[ url ]http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2011/09/mind_blown.gif[ / url ]

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #347 on: October 19, 2018, 11:34:33 AM »
I watched Kids again because skate movies have been on my mind lately. I hate how they had Harold acting all thirsty and damn near raping bitches. But yet Telly's speech impediment ass was swimming all up in pussy. Fucking wack.

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #348 on: October 19, 2018, 03:50:57 PM »
I’m not in the states so I haven’t tried this but Monster Children is giving away a bunch of passes.

http://screenings.a24films.com/mid90s/promo/monster-children/
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 03:54:04 PM by AsianVegan »

wildbillhiccup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -75
  • JACKASS
« Reply #349 on: October 20, 2018, 11:35:51 AM »
I’m not in the states so I haven’t tried this but Monster Children is giving away a bunch of passes.

http://screenings.a24films.com/mid90s/promo/monster-children/
testing it

feedmeseymour

« Reply #350 on: October 20, 2018, 06:43:32 PM »
Lil Wayne and Justin Bieber seem like pretty busy guys and they find time to skate. Why can’t jonah?

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #351 on: October 20, 2018, 06:58:55 PM »
Lil Wayne and Justin Bieber seem like pretty busy guys and they find time to skate. Why can’t jonah?

He's a fat bitch, and why not fake it when he does that for a living already?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #352 on: October 20, 2018, 07:18:11 PM »
I've been listening to a bunch of podcasts and Jonah Hill has a lot of best friends....

frontsideoverkrook

« Reply #353 on: October 20, 2018, 07:53:05 PM »
i just saw it, it's beautiful and honest. if you love and understand skateboarding, you'll be touched by the movie.

but if you wanna continue to act "core" on the internet and yell at 14 year old girls for wearing thrasher, then maybe you won't like it. seems like this latter group of people have more to prove than jonah.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2208
« Reply #354 on: October 20, 2018, 08:25:53 PM »
i just saw it, it's beautiful and honest. if you love and understand skateboarding, you'll be touched by the movie.

but if you wanna continue to act "core" on the internet and yell at 14 year old girls for wearing thrasher, then maybe you won't like it. seems like this latter group of people have more to prove than jonah.
But will it make people cry?

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

puff daddy

• Rep: -13
  • all we do is watch mtv cribs
« Reply #355 on: October 21, 2018, 01:04:59 AM »
the movie felt like they forgot to put the ending in
the acting was surprisingly good besides the lil buzzcut kid
feels like more like a movie about growing up in LA rather than growing up skating

guest1

« Reply #356 on: October 21, 2018, 07:28:56 AM »
It’s going to be one of those movies that my non skate friends will like and then I’ll have to over-explain to them why it makes me cringe.

verylowimpact

• Rep: -169
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #357 on: October 21, 2018, 11:37:26 AM »
One of the main things that will make all the 'moments' in this shit 'illegal civ' in disguise movie will be the culturally appropriated music from back in the days that he got lucky enough to use for it. Everything else will be shit.

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #358 on: October 21, 2018, 12:12:22 PM »
Waiting for somethingisleaking to come through with the PH link.

Washed Up Guy

• Rep: 1
« Reply #359 on: October 21, 2018, 03:35:37 PM »
Waiting for somethingisleaking to come through with the PH link.