Author Topic: Jonah Hill's movie "Mid 90s"  (Read 118172 times)

brycickle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Jonah Hill's movie "Mid 90s"
« Reply #150 on: September 01, 2018, 10:17:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
who knew some people were so protective of douche bro jonah hill?
[close]

With language like that, how were you not cast in this movie?
[close]

i didnt make it past the casting call =(
[close]
Most people dont get a call back from the Casting Couch
Most people can't go all the way to the balls.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #151 on: September 01, 2018, 10:28:11 PM »
Anyone planning to see this at TIFF? Premiere is next Sunday night, followed by a screening on Monday.

On the flip side, saw Skate Kitchen last week. The skating part imo felt pretty real to me but the movie was pretty boring.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #152 on: September 02, 2018, 05:33:19 AM »
  Movies are too long.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee

• Rep: 6
« Reply #153 on: September 02, 2018, 06:53:06 AM »
The movie looks like garbage, but I really don’t see why it’s so offensive to people, especially these days.

The “bad boy skater trope” really needs to die though.

Surf-goth

• Rep: -676
« Reply #154 on: September 02, 2018, 07:37:03 AM »
The movie looks like garbage, but I really don’t see why it’s so offensive to people, especially these days.

How would you like to see skaters represented?
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #155 on: September 02, 2018, 07:42:20 AM »
Has anyone actually seen this p o s movie? I'll rent it from my local library when it comes out. L A libraries are on point with their movie rentals. Who needs blockbuster

Freecory

Cory

You don’t get out much, huh?

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -479
« Reply #156 on: September 02, 2018, 09:52:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
All you idiots on the first page claiming Jonah wasn't a skater...come on dude had that mini top 5 I remember seeing when it came out, you don't pick those parts if you don't skate. The movie looks ok, but props to him for dropping and probably losing a bunch of money to make something about his childhood past time. I was a fat kid growing up in the mid 90s and I didn't really fit in. I thought skateboarding was cool seeing it Back to the Future and when I finally got a real board in 1994 and started skating it changed my life, it took me 2 years to learn how to kickflip. Now almost 25 years later I can't imagine my life without it. If I had a profession that allowed me to express how much skateboarding meant to me to people inside and outside skateboarding it would really be hard to do, and I don't know if I would do it but I think its rad that he Jonah Hill is. All you dudes talking shit are just jaded haters that reek of jealously and envy of someone who's had success.

Also Gipper you still love to assume shit and virtue signal every chance you get. Let me ask you a question. You ever heard of improv? How do you know the Jonah Hill wrote that line and that the actor didn't add that word in himself, which is very likely. Or how do you know he wasn't quoting from a personal experience with a security guard from his youth? Is he supposed to change alter the quote? You've already been proven wrong once in this post so maybe its time you realize that just because you went to college and are now a school teacher that you know it all.

P.S. Slap wouldn't be the same without you Gip...but I have to give you shit for old times sake ;)
[close]
A dude from the south used the Milo playbook and claims others are “virtue signalling” for not going along with lame racist bullshit...who would’ve thunk it? “How dare you say racism is bullshit?” And if I work in education to help reverse the effects of racism as a career, its not really signalling, its just me being morally consistent. I went out to fight nazis this past week, even with a broken hand. Dear, I don’t just say anti-racist things to look good, I live those values. Not all of us were raised with confederate values like “insult a person who calls out racism.” That is southern virtue signaling, it often goes by the term “dog whistle.”
And the crail couch shit was AFTER he started making his movie. Even if the guy did “skate,” (according to others on this thread what he did barely counts) the dude never gave a nod to skating or seemed to care about it until he figured out he could make a movie about it. Then suddenly its always been oh-so-important.
[close]

I'm disappointed in myself for even responding to this mindlessness. You've actually gotten dumber over the past couple years which I suppose is par for the course of the entire leftist movement. It sickens me that you actually teach children anything considering you're such an ideologue who  strays away from any objective thinking and labels anyone who disagrees with you a racist and a nazi. Those are serious charges and you're contributing to the watering down of those terms and in a way even legitimizing the actual tiny percentage of them that do exist.

Secondarily are you claiming that I was raised with confederate values? Dude I grew up just outside of Washington DC in northern Virginia. The neighborhood I grew up in was and still is predominantly black and hispanic. My father grew up even closer to Washington DC and my mom is from the Jersey shore. Hardly confederate values, but again your false assumptions are spouted while attempting to discredit me. I was raised to respect everyone, and the golden rule, and to work toward my desires. Truth be told I was and still am a person of liberal values but when I was growing up even more so into he leftist ideology. I was a full on democrat, I mean who wouldn't be growing up in the Bush era. It wasn't until I was in my mid 20's when I started to actually challenge my views when some of them changed and where I started to lean toward libertarianism, or classical liberalism. I just can't sign onto this hysteria as I don't see a world of nazi's and racists on every corner.

I'm still wondering what in this trailer was the "racist bullshit" you are not going along with. An African American security guard using a term that is widely used and accepted within that community and is not deemed racist whatsoever? Or the fact that a Jewish guy wrote the script you're assuming that he wrote that word into the script to somehow provoke racism and not that he was perhaps documenting a personal experience? Or as I pointed out simply improv by the actor and not written in the script at all? Is any of that possible in your eyes? Is everything and everyone racist? It's just ridiculous, those are serious charges as its a truly disgraceful act to be a real racist so you should really be sure about what you're saying before making those claims.

In my eyes you are being the bigot. Your ideology is completely intolerant of any diverse opinion or thought. Can't you see the hypocrisy you're engaged in? It would seem to me that your ideology is so weak and hollow that in order to make your arguments valid you have a discount the opposing view with a disgraceful term such as racist or nazi in an attempt to delegitimize them even if its unfounded and dishonest. It's kinda like one of your students getting a poor score on a test but saying that some of their classmates got even lower scores in an attempt to make themselves look and feel better. I'm not even sure they even score tests anymore though, it could be mean and hurtful to give someone a low score, oh unless they disagree with you of course.

Oh and you think this dude is trying to cash in on skateboarding? I bet he loses money making this film because it doesn't really look that good and its only going to be relatable to a small percentage of the population.

Where you from in NoVA?
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Jerkstore

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -153
« Reply #157 on: September 02, 2018, 12:52:07 PM »
why did jonah hill become so edgy?

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #158 on: September 02, 2018, 02:01:05 PM »
why did jonah hill become so edgy?

Because he met Dill then went back in time and became a mid-90's skater

Jerkstore

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -153
« Reply #159 on: September 02, 2018, 04:29:01 PM »
jonah hill calling police pigs is cringey as fuck too

left knee cap

• $$$$
« Reply #160 on: September 03, 2018, 07:40:55 PM »
ended up with tickets to the world premiere that's happening this weekend, will report back if shit or not shit

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #161 on: September 04, 2018, 05:22:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

KIDS by harmony korine.

jonah hill is a punch line.

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #162 on: September 04, 2018, 05:38:04 AM »
ended up with tickets to the world premiere that's happening this weekend, will report back if shit or not shit

I got 100 bucks its shit. Fuck that poser kook ass upstream Dill nut-hugger. Dude has never stepped on a skateboard. The trailer is laughable, I can't believe you all can take it seriously, especially that part with Nakel trying his hardest to act and looking like he's struggling through cue cards.

Maybe I'll watch it like people watch Plan 9 from Outer Space

shit_for_brains

« Reply #163 on: September 04, 2018, 06:08:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

12 year olds smoking cigarettes on a metal edged curb behind a furniture store staffed by alcoholics.

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #164 on: September 06, 2018, 01:36:29 AM »
i've now realized that i shouldn't be bummed. its going to be street dreams but jonah hill instead of piss rod. i also wish that i had two more hands so i could give this glob of shit four thumbs down.

Fred Savage

« Reply #165 on: September 06, 2018, 10:20:01 AM »
why this guy fat one day then extra fat the next day then regular fat again? this shit wild

left knee cap

• $$$$
« Reply #166 on: September 06, 2018, 06:23:13 PM »
Everyone who is shitting their pants and frothing at the mouth to cry about how bad this movie looks probably thinks Avengers and Transformers movies are good lmao.

Y'all must have the shittiest taste in film because in no way whatsoever does this trailer look as bad as you dunces are proclaiming. Yeah, it might not turn out to be good, but it's impossible to tell from the trailer.

I know this is a forum composed of skaters and not cinephiles, but the response so far has been simply embarrassing.

as a cinephile myself, I don't have anything negative to say about this movie that most have here. i'm definitely looking forward to see the movie this weekend. personally, i'm sure the film we be just fine.

i think people here are judgmental of this because it's a skateboarding movie made for the mainstream - and also the people behind the movie also are unfavourable to some people here (IC, jonah hill presumably being a culture vulture, etc). people are quick to judge before even watching it. that's what I thought about skate kitchen before I saw it, but it was actually a pretty ok movie.

HangtenNoseblunt

• Rep: -189
« Reply #167 on: September 07, 2018, 02:13:12 AM »
is this movie about anything?
Thank goodness we have HangtenNoseblunt in here as the voice of reason.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #168 on: September 07, 2018, 06:45:10 AM »
If it’s anything like my experience as a young skater there will be a lot of jacking off scenes

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #169 on: September 07, 2018, 08:51:46 AM »
If it’s anything like my experience as a young skater there will be a lot of jacking off scenes
Street lights on? Yea,I'm in my room rubbing one out. Should call it mid-stroke.

It could be good,but all I think of is movies like Grind when it comes to Hollywood. It'd be tough to make another Thrashin' or Gleaming the Cube,maybe Jonah pulls it off,but I'll be here waiting for a link.haha!

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

ShyLow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 50
« Reply #170 on: September 07, 2018, 09:04:34 AM »

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #171 on: September 07, 2018, 09:05:53 AM »

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

shit_for_brains

« Reply #172 on: September 07, 2018, 09:12:50 AM »
He is trying the hardest anyone has ever tried

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #173 on: September 07, 2018, 03:48:09 PM »
Why belt and jersey?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #174 on: September 08, 2018, 07:01:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Street lights on? Yea,I'm in my room rubbing one out. Should call it mid-stroke.

It could be good,but all I think of is movies like Grind when it comes to Hollywood. It'd be tough to make another Thrashin' or Gleaming the Cube,maybe Jonah pulls it off,but I'll be here waiting for a link.haha!

You shut your mouth. "Grind" is a classic and true representation of early '00s skateboard culture.

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
  • No sense makes sense.
« Reply #175 on: September 08, 2018, 02:37:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You shut your mouth. "Grind" is a classic and true representation of early '00s skateboard culture.

Can’t forget about deck dogs either
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 03:07:49 PM by rejectpaul »
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

left knee cap

• $$$$
« Reply #176 on: September 09, 2018, 08:02:37 PM »
just got out of the world premiere. it was everyone in the cast first time watching it so the room was full of pandemonium.

wow. movie was crazy good. the acting actually feels genuine 95% of the time (the scene everyone that has been dogging on Nakel is actually really good in context of the scene). the trailer is also a very small snippet of the plot. the third act caught the room by surprise and the audience fell silent for almost all of it. soundtrack was also perfect.

during the q&a jonah mentioned about hanging out at the courthouse and why he thought it would be good to feature it prominently in the film. surprisingly no one asked about ANY FOOTAGE.

as for him being a culture culture/poser for making this; he got everything right and it didn’t feel corny.

i recommend everyone check it out when it drops. i’m watching it again tomorrow afternoon.

HotnSpicyMcChicken

• Rep: -40
« Reply #177 on: September 09, 2018, 08:45:41 PM »
just got out of the world premiere. it was everyone in the cast first time watching it so the room was full of pandemonium.

wow. movie was crazy good. the acting actually feels genuine 95% of the time (the scene everyone that has been dogging on Nakel is actually really good in context of the scene). the trailer is also a very small snippet of the plot. the third act caught the room by surprise and the audience fell silent for almost all of it. soundtrack was also perfect.

during the q&a jonah mentioned about hanging out at the courthouse and why he thought it would be good to feature it prominently in the film. surprisingly no one asked about ANY FOOTAGE.

as for him being a culture culture/poser for making this; he got everything right and it didn’t feel corny.

i recommend everyone check it out when it drops. i’m watching it again tomorrow afternoon.

Stoked to hear all of this!

left knee cap

• $$$$
« Reply #178 on: September 09, 2018, 08:51:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Stoked to hear all of this!

nakel killed it. there were a lot of scenes in the movie where it featured him and didn’t blow it. in the q&a he was mad hyped and definitely proud of the hard work he put into it.

for cameos, from what i recall, skateline gary and ishod are in it. even funnier, there’s two actors that are supposed to resemble chico brenes and shamile. i guess itllmake sense why when y’all see the movie.

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #179 on: September 11, 2018, 06:09:28 AM »
Variety review:

https://variety.com/2018/film/reviews/mid90s-review-jonah-hill-1202934291/

"If Jonah Hill’s name weren’t on “mid90s,” it could pass as one of the coolest films that ever played at Sundance. But the fact that a star like Hill built this movie from the ground up, and did it with so much integrity and flair, lends it an undeniable hipster quotient. The very fact that we know he made it becomes part of the experience. You can hear a distant echo of Hill’s cutthroat wit in some of the film’s existential stoner absurdism — the lines that are funny because they aren’t meant to be. However much it is (or isn’t) based on Hill’s life, “mid90s” feels like a memoir. The soundtrack thrives on its cred, but when Stevie and his friends cruise on their boards down a twilight L.A. boulevard, viewed in telephoto long shot, to the sounds of “Dedicated to the One I Love” or the best Morrissey performance I’d never heard, you can feel a twinge of romanticism. That’s what growing up is all about: knowing that whoever you were hanging out with, they were the shit, because they showed you what was real."