Author Topic: Jonah Hill's movie "Mid 90s"  (Read 118183 times)

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
Re: Jonah Hill's movie "Mid 90s"
« Reply #180 on: September 11, 2018, 09:10:02 AM »
just got out of the world premiere. it was everyone in the cast first time watching it so the room was full of pandemonium.

wow. movie was crazy good. the acting actually feels genuine 95% of the time (the scene everyone that has been dogging on Nakel is actually really good in context of the scene). the trailer is also a very small snippet of the plot. the third act caught the room by surprise and the audience fell silent for almost all of it. soundtrack was also perfect.

during the q&a jonah mentioned about hanging out at the courthouse and why he thought it would be good to feature it prominently in the film. surprisingly no one asked about ANY FOOTAGE.

as for him being a culture culture/poser for making this; he got everything right and it didn’t feel corny.

i recommend everyone check it out when it drops. i’m watching it again tomorrow afternoon.
but did/does he skate?

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #181 on: September 11, 2018, 10:10:07 AM »
Variety review:

https://variety.com/2018/film/reviews/mid90s-review-jonah-hill-1202934291/

"If Jonah Hill’s name weren’t on “mid90s,” it could pass as one of the coolest films that ever played at Sundance. But the fact that a star like Hill built this movie from the ground up, and did it with so much integrity and flair, lends it an undeniable hipster quotient. The very fact that we know he made it becomes part of the experience. You can hear a distant echo of Hill’s cutthroat wit in some of the film’s existential stoner absurdism — the lines that are funny because they aren’t meant to be. However much it is (or isn’t) based on Hill’s life, “mid90s” feels like a memoir. The soundtrack thrives on its cred, but when Stevie and his friends cruise on their boards down a twilight L.A. boulevard, viewed in telephoto long shot, to the sounds of “Dedicated to the One I Love” or the best Morrissey performance I’d never heard, you can feel a twinge of romanticism. That’s what growing up is all about: knowing that whoever you were hanging out with, they were the shit, because they showed you what was real."

Wow, it's like they were reading Slap and following Weckingball.

left knee cap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #182 on: September 11, 2018, 10:11:20 AM »
Expand Quote
just got out of the world premiere. it was everyone in the cast first time watching it so the room was full of pandemonium.

wow. movie was crazy good. the acting actually feels genuine 95% of the time (the scene everyone that has been dogging on Nakel is actually really good in context of the scene). the trailer is also a very small snippet of the plot. the third act caught the room by surprise and the audience fell silent for almost all of it. soundtrack was also perfect.

during the q&a jonah mentioned about hanging out at the courthouse and why he thought it would be good to feature it prominently in the film. surprisingly no one asked about ANY FOOTAGE.

as for him being a culture culture/poser for making this; he got everything right and it didn’t feel corny.

i recommend everyone check it out when it drops. i’m watching it again tomorrow afternoon.
[close]
but did/does he skate?

at the second screening's q&a, somebody asked him if he ever skated, and his response was pretty much what we've heard before - he did when he was younger, but because he was overweight he never really was good, but hung around skaters all the time (kinda like the main character of this movie) and hung out at the courthouse. then he brought up the infamous kickflip photo and nakel and sunny (who was present at the q&a with the rest of the cast) confirmed themselves said that they saw him land a kickflip.

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #183 on: September 11, 2018, 10:20:33 AM »
nakel is a jonah hill shill.
jonah the jew's kickflip is a false flag.
call me a jonah hill truther but i'm sick of being lied to.

FS-OverKOOK

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #184 on: September 11, 2018, 10:44:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
but did/does he skate?
[close]

at the second screening's q&a, somebody asked him if he ever skated, and his response was pretty much what we've heard before - he did when he was younger, but because he was overweight he never really was good, but hung around skaters all the time (kinda like the main character of this movie) and hung out at the courthouse. then he brought up the infamous kickflip photo and nakel and sunny (who was present at the q&a with the rest of the cast) confirmed themselves said that they saw him land a kickflip.
The guy makes movies but no footy? If someone(on the payroll) needs to vouch for you that they saw you land a KF, you can't KF(and stationary does not count). 

shit_for_brains

« Reply #185 on: September 11, 2018, 11:04:47 AM »
There isn't a chance in hell Jonah Hill did a kickflip. That kid is a bald faced liar and if you think it's bold faced you can go fuck yourself like that little kid can.

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #186 on: September 11, 2018, 11:14:34 AM »
haha honestly at this point, having seen the movie, i’ve kinda stopped caring whether or not he skates. you can be obsessed with skating and not skate.

and if he doesn’t, so what? it’s a good movie and doesn’t really portray skaters very negatively. i thought it was gonna be shit too but was surprised it was the opposite. and my friends that were there said the same. it ain’t no grind or street dreams.

verylowimpact

• Rep: -169
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #187 on: September 11, 2018, 11:41:36 AM »
haha honestly at this point, having seen the movie, i’ve kinda stopped caring whether or not he skates. you can be obsessed with skating and not skate.

and if he doesn’t, so what? it’s a good movie and doesn’t really portray skaters very negatively. i thought it was gonna be shit too but was surprised it was the opposite. and my friends that were there said the same. it ain’t no grind or street dreams.

Fuck this movie and fuck you for praising it so much. Is that you Jonah?

Oh yeah, definitely fuck that little stoner plaza waaaay too overly cocky LA kook Sunny kid. That kid can def eat a dick.

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -4
« Reply #188 on: September 11, 2018, 11:54:26 AM »
don't know why this movie is getting so much hate. it seems like it will be the only "skate movie" to actually get it right. Also the story seems like it will be pretty good and if A24 backs it then it must be good. They have a great track history in indie films
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
« Reply #189 on: September 11, 2018, 11:57:03 AM »
Think Jonah has ever done a crooked grind?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #190 on: September 11, 2018, 12:11:28 PM »
Think Jonah has ever done a crooked grind?

Absolutely not

ungzilla

« Reply #191 on: September 11, 2018, 12:20:06 PM »
come on there's always a fat kid that can crooked grind but not be able to do literally anything else

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
« Reply #192 on: September 11, 2018, 12:27:42 PM »
Maybe to fakie.  Not to regular.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #193 on: September 11, 2018, 12:28:25 PM »
come on there's always a fat kid that can crooked grind but not be able to do literally anything else

And Jonah Hill envies him so much

FS-OverKOOK

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #194 on: September 11, 2018, 12:31:08 PM »
I'm sure the movie is fine. I'm calling BS on him actually skating. You want to be a super fan without doing shit then go watch the NFL/NBA. Those stands are filled with people who are huge fans but never put in any work. To make a 90's skate movie and be oblivious to the anti-poser sentiment of the era is hilarious. Hang out at the courthouse and not skate? WTF?
Skateboarding is simple but it does require actually skating. Too fat? skate more. Not any good? skate more.
With the rise in skate parks, skate camps/schools, skate moms/coaches etc. the culture has been diluted and is now just another sport/activity that accepts everyone. The wild west landscape of 90s skate culture is what appealed to outsiders and by letting those outsiders in we are left with the present day state. 

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #195 on: September 11, 2018, 12:56:57 PM »
Jenkem dropped that heaviest part, fat boys ripping. Chomp on this Fat boys section. My homie Ryan in the crew was fat and could crook. At least a slappy would please me,but no...we have Nakel's word paid for by Hill.

Spike Jonze should be the guy to make mainstream skate movies. Get the crail guys active

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

ungzilla

« Reply #196 on: September 11, 2018, 01:00:26 PM »
Maybe to fakie.  Not to regular.

always to fakie, or shuv out.

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #197 on: September 11, 2018, 02:01:39 PM »
The guy makes movies but no footy? If someone(on the payroll) needs to vouch for you that they saw you land a KF, you can't KF(and stationary does not count).

12 year old Yushin Okami in his garage on a piece of carpet says FUCK YOU
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #198 on: September 11, 2018, 04:49:10 PM »
I'm sure the movie is fine. I'm calling BS on him actually skating. You want to be a super fan without doing shit then go watch the NFL/NBA. Those stands are filled with people who are huge fans but never put in any work. To make a 90's skate movie and be oblivious to the anti-poser sentiment of the era is hilarious. Hang out at the courthouse and not skate? WTF?
Skateboarding is simple but it does require actually skating. Too fat? skate more. Not any good? skate more.
With the rise in skate parks, skate camps/schools, skate moms/coaches etc. the culture has been diluted and is now just another sport/activity that accepts everyone. The wild west landscape of 90s skate culture is what appealed to outsiders and by letting those outsiders in we are left with the present day state.

What are you, the skateboard police? Whether or not he was "good" at skateboarding, he obviously did it and cares about it enough to have kept it close to him his whole life. It doesn't matter if he can kickflip, we all know by now that the crailtap top5 was real and Jonah isn't some poser with a Thrasher shirt. I'm backing Jonah 100% and I'm gonna watch this movie.

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 416
« Reply #199 on: September 11, 2018, 07:25:40 PM »
Spike Jonze should be the guy to make mainstream skate movies. Get the crail guys active

Now there's an idea I can get behind.
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #200 on: September 11, 2018, 07:26:48 PM »

that's prob half the people in this thread  ;)

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #201 on: September 11, 2018, 08:53:45 PM »
“This movie is so good it eliminates the matter of whether or not Johna ever skated”

Fuck you all so much, and fuck this fat fucker Hollywood poser.

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #202 on: September 11, 2018, 08:59:57 PM »
I heard Larry Clark has a mean switch back T 😎
ableSkateMag.com

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #203 on: September 11, 2018, 09:02:29 PM »
“This movie is so good it eliminates the matter of whether or not Johna ever skated”

Do you really want only skaters to make movies involving skaters? Because most of these skaters this side of spike jonze are pure idiots.

FS-OverKOOK

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #204 on: September 12, 2018, 12:47:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What are you, the skateboard police? Whether or not he was "good" at skateboarding, he obviously did it and cares about it enough to have kept it close to him his whole life. It doesn't matter if he can kickflip, we all know by now that the crailtap top5 was real and Jonah isn't some poser with a Thrasher shirt. I'm backing Jonah 100% and I'm gonna watch this movie.
How did you arrive at this? He can make all the movies he wants, I just have a problem when he fakes like he skated. I've seen more footage of justin bieber trying to skate. Even lil wayne is putting in work. This guy just has a rich hollywood dad so he gets a pass. This could all be cleared up with a 20 second iphone clip. Real heads can watch someone take a push and ollie up a curb and know if they can ride. Spike can kickflip.

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #205 on: September 12, 2018, 02:04:35 AM »
He should wear a thrasher tee so that we could know if he is a real skateboarder

PABLOS SWANPOWERS LOBSTER

« Reply #206 on: September 12, 2018, 04:04:21 AM »
All this Jonah Hill is not a skater bullshit is wack. If you want a skater made movie about skating go watch street dreams or whatever that abortion of a film was that PRod starred in. or like stay gold or something.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #207 on: September 12, 2018, 05:33:53 AM »
Expand Quote
he likes Steve Olson in Rolling Thunder, dude gets a pass from me
Pretty funny you say that.. I thought the exact thing
I shrugged my shoulders.... if he is not a skatenerd at very least
He is a very good method actor..

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #208 on: September 12, 2018, 09:48:26 AM »
Ya'll niggaz are being wack right now.

1. I don't know Jonah's past so I cant say if he's real or not. BUT, being a skater isnt a transferable skill to making a good movie, definitely required for filming and editing a skate video but not for writing and directing a movie.

2. Judging stuff without watching it is what soccer moms and Republicans do. Ripping apart the one guy who actually saw the movie is weird.

3. All the movies that are focused around skateboarding sucks, if its good then it was only a side thing like 'Back to the Future'. At worst Mid 90s will just add to a strong tradition.

4. All of Spike Jonze's movies are overrated.

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #209 on: September 12, 2018, 09:55:19 AM »

This.