Author Topic: Jonah Hill's movie "Mid 90s"  (Read 118195 times)

sharkbarf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Re: Jonah Hill's movie "Mid 90s"
« Reply #660 on: December 24, 2018, 09:37:45 AM »
Les Miserables? Yeah because Wolverine singing is so serious. Any film with a cast of kids is usually more difficult to pull off than say a cast of adults. The chemistry has to be right.

Mid90s tried to create a homie vibe within the group but it felt uneven through out the entire film. I had no issue with the skateboarding side of the movie but the acting and scenes felt very amateur.

I rather watch The Goonies or Stand by Me.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #661 on: December 24, 2018, 03:32:11 PM »
 Id watch it but i dont want to be not able to un see it if it sucks.  Movies suck  most of the time and Jonah hill is a chuckle bag.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

turtleboy86

• Rep: -14
« Reply #662 on: December 25, 2018, 03:45:15 AM »
Watched it last night. The older brother and his orange juice were a nice touch, he's the only character I was emotionally invested in. The sound track was good, can't go wrong with Big L. Nostalgia wise I enjoyed it, and also discovered that blonde black kid is a guy, this whole time I thought it was a new girl skater who I never really paid attention to in the insta vids. Nice!

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #663 on: December 25, 2018, 12:35:56 PM »
Stoked to find a good link. The movie was actually alright.

https://www4.fmovies.to/film/mid90s.z1jp3/m05y9z

Surf-goth

• Rep: -676
« Reply #664 on: December 25, 2018, 07:16:33 PM »
What a bummer. I just watched and was really hoping it wouldn't suck.
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #665 on: December 26, 2018, 06:38:02 PM »
this board remains the only people that still think about this movie

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #666 on: December 26, 2018, 08:47:15 PM »

It showed up on Amazon prime as available to buy and watch for me today...lol at how fast it came out...took a hard pass

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #667 on: December 27, 2018, 07:36:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It showed up on Amazon prime as available to buy and watch for me today...lol at how fast it came out...took a hard pass

Pretty standard for an indie release of this size...It's also only available digital for now, DVD later. Also pretty standard move these days but sure, LOL.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #668 on: December 27, 2018, 11:49:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Pretty standard for an indie release of this size...It's also only available digital for now, DVD later. Also pretty standard move these days but sure, LOL.

it bombed at the box office as far as indie movies go too..lol

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #669 on: December 27, 2018, 02:37:49 PM »
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=mid90s.htm
It might've had a decent opening,but compared to other indie flicks of the year's profits it made pennies

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #670 on: December 27, 2018, 04:04:30 PM »
^exactly kind of trash if it only made 7 million worldwide
 dont know why so many people are Stans for this flick

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #671 on: December 27, 2018, 06:28:41 PM »
You may not have liked the movie,but you sure are sucking it's dick pretty hard. I don't even think it's going international,so that 7 mil is all Jonah gets to claim on the streets when he runs into a skater. What it is.

Knox Harrington

• Rep: 11
« Reply #672 on: December 27, 2018, 06:42:04 PM »
Wow this movie was absolute garbage. Jonah really missed the mark here. It could've been good if there was less skateboarding and more character development and an actual plot. The Courthouse "5-0" scene was unrealistic and beyond cringeworthy. The child rape scene was uncomfortable as hell. Glad I didn't have to pay for it and thankfully it was only 80 minutes long. Jonah Hill is a poser confirmed.
The Courthouse was like that though.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #673 on: December 27, 2018, 08:55:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It did fine for what it was.   It did well in its limited opening and was never expected to be 2500 theater release.  I just meant that it is going to be like the Olympics and skateboarding.  Everyone in the skating community will/are debating it for years in advance and for years after and the regular person will maybe see it, like it if they do, completely forget about it. 

Also, has anyone mentioned on Slap that the Skate Kitchen director and Lesley Arfin from Love (the Netflix show with Dill) are developing an HBO pilot about women skaters?

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #674 on: December 27, 2018, 09:42:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

It did fine for what it was.   It did well in its limited opening and was never expected to be 2500 theater release.  I just meant that it is going to be like the Olympics and skateboarding.  Everyone in the skating community will/are debating it for years in advance and for years after and the regular person will maybe see it, like it if they do, completely forget about it. 

Also, has anyone mentioned on Slap that the Skate Kitchen director and Lesley Arfin from Love (the Netflix show with Dill) are developing an HBO pilot about women skaters?

Just wanted to remind everybody that Jaden Smith is in the movie and defends the movie for representing authentic NYC street skating by going to the bodega and grabbing kombucha. I'm sure that's true to his life but goddamn, it's some rich/privileged/egotistical thing to do and come in believing his personal lifestyle is an accurate representation of skateboarding anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqZwMfQc5lk @ 3:20ish.

Weird where skateboarding as gone. it's more inclusive and friendly, which is allegedly nice, but then with the changing population of the community, the culture is changed along with it. The best aspects of skateboarding are still alive, and there are also more subcultures emerging whether I find they fit my taste or not.

It's like how the definition of the word "literally" has changed to mean the exact opposite of it's original intent, to be used as "figuratively" because everyone is a stupid asshole.

Juicyboy

« Reply #675 on: December 28, 2018, 01:26:56 AM »
Go buy a Welcome board you fucking piece of foreskin

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #676 on: December 28, 2018, 06:47:23 AM »
Thanks for the link, watched this last night.

Wasn't very impressed with the movie but I was impressed with Na Kel

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
« Reply #677 on: December 28, 2018, 03:01:12 PM »
I watched it last night too. It was ok. Na-Kel was really good. The whole thing felt a little undercooked though. 3/5
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #678 on: December 29, 2018, 06:02:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

It did fine for what it was.   It did well in its limited opening and was never expected to be 2500 theater release.
[close]

Bingo. Glad someone knows what they're talking about.

I guarantee that it cost less than $1m to make and grossed $7m.  If you can pull in 7x your budget at the box office alone, it's a success

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #679 on: December 29, 2018, 08:13:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

It did fine for what it was.   It did well in its limited opening and was never expected to be 2500 theater release.
[close]

[close]

I guarantee that it cost less than $1m to make and grossed $7m.  If you can pull in 7x your budget at the box office alone, it's a success

Lol pretty sure 7 mill box office means it did shit and movie is shit

But whatever let’s talk 7mill ...that’s what the box office made...the box offices get their cut, Jonah had to pay the cast,  then had a ton of marketing press before so ...I’d say he actually brought in a lot less than 7mill.  Shit numbers for a shit movie

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

oroku1983

« Reply #681 on: December 29, 2018, 01:13:49 PM »
it's going to be getting a limited released in the uk, russia and france in spring 2019 but i highly doubt it will be more than 1-2 million added to it's overall earnings. If i were to guess i'd say it mightve already squeaked by with a tiny profit.

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #682 on: December 29, 2018, 01:27:04 PM »
I watched it. It wasn't great, but it wasn't unwatchable. Just a lot of pretty lame, cringy scenes. 1 and a half stars. Also the main kid can skate but didn't do shit in the movie.

sluggers

• Rep: -405
« Reply #683 on: December 29, 2018, 04:12:15 PM »
Surprisingly, Minding the Gap made it on to Barack Obama's best films of the year list.

It was definitely the best of the skate oriented films this year.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #684 on: December 29, 2018, 05:59:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

But whatever let’s talk 7mill ...that’s what the box office made...the box offices get their cut, Jonah had to pay the cast,  then had a ton of marketing press before so ...I’d say he actually brought in a lot less than 7mill.  Shit numbers for a shit movie
[close]

Imagine not understanding what you're talking about to this degree, yet still maintaining this level of confidence in your position. Yikes

Do you want to do the lecture on the Waterfall or should I?

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #685 on: December 29, 2018, 06:18:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Imagine not understanding what you're talking about to this degree, yet still maintaining this level of confidence in your position. Yikes
[close]

Do you want to do the lecture on the Waterfall or should I?
Dude needs to dive of the waterfall.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #686 on: December 30, 2018, 07:35:58 PM »
That's 7 mil domestic, not worldwide.

Also, keep in mind just how "indie" this film was compared to the top earning "indies" this year.

A miniscule budget doing 7 mil at the box office isn't necessarily bombing.

Consider the fact that this film had NO star power going for it, while Beautiful Boy, starring two of the biggest names in Hollywood, only hit 9 mil.

Context is important when making these statements people, try harder next time.

And for the record, I didn't love this movie. It was certainly the best skateboard-oriented film I've seen, but overall it was just OK as a film.
Comin in hot n spicy indeed. +1
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #687 on: December 30, 2018, 07:52:32 PM »
It's like how the definition of the word "literally" has changed to mean the exact opposite of it's original intent, to be used as "figuratively" because everyone is a stupid asshole.

I think about this way too often

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #688 on: October 08, 2020, 08:15:03 PM »
I'm trying to get through this movie and I'm not sure I can do it.

Everything feels super forced and "edgy." It is like, "Look, I know about skateboarding and my film is soooooo independent. OMG wasn't Juno was such a good movie?"

However, it is a million times better than Street Dreams but not nearly as good as Gleaming the Cube.

Edit:

Why the fuck would a high school girl be making out with this little kid?

Why the fuck is the shop sponsored kid who is in high school hanging out with this little kid who doesn't know how to ollie?

Why the fuck are all of the kids (other than Nakel) stoked as hell on going nowhere. We couldn't make more stereotypical skaters?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 08:49:03 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #689 on: October 08, 2020, 08:20:10 PM »
Expand Quote
That's 7 mil domestic, not worldwide.

Also, keep in mind just how "indie" this film was compared to the top earning "indies" this year.

A miniscule budget doing 7 mil at the box office isn't necessarily bombing.

Consider the fact that this film had NO star power going for it, while Beautiful Boy, starring two of the biggest names in Hollywood, only hit 9 mil.

Context is important when making these statements people, try harder next time.

And for the record, I didn't love this movie. It was certainly the best skateboard-oriented film I've seen, but overall it was just OK as a film.
[close]

Number of theaters released to is important as well.  A24 is a distribution company first and foremost.  It’s good at getting it’s films noticed and seen.