Author Topic: Vans Plans  (Read 59919 times)

jgonzalez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
Re: Vans Plans
« Reply #240 on: February 24, 2024, 04:02:54 PM »

I know those shoes are trash but gotta remember normies love those chuck taylor runs.

I could see that OTW like being popular with gentrifiers or people into ceramics etc

nothing's been the since same

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #241 on: February 24, 2024, 04:13:01 PM »
Expand Quote
AVE still has a pro model but they wouldn't give Gylette in his prime one ...
[close]
AVE’s dancing on thin ice part is more memorable than anything Austyn has done in recent years

yea?  how many kickstarter campaigns did “AVE” in “Dancing on Thin Ice” start?

Luddite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #242 on: February 24, 2024, 04:54:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
https://www.boardistan.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/SP24_OTW_VN000CNBBKA_HalfCabReissue33Vibram_BlackBlack_Efron_2115-1536x1152-1.jpg

"Goodbye Vans It’s Been A Great Roll"

This new Vibram soled “Half Cab Reissue 33’ shoe” that Vans has dropped is the latest sad attempt to correct the brand’s sales freefall. It’s called OTW by Vans and it is an attempt by VF Corp to force the Vans brand back into mainstream fashion relevance. Apparently, it can all be blamed on this guy:

Ian Ginoza, VP of Creative Direction for OTW by Vans, said: “OTW by Vans is a frontier for progression, experiences and collaboration. The skateboarding mindset is core to Vans, and OTW enriches that spirit through a distinct perspective to propel culture forward.”

If anyone can pull it off Ginoza can. He has deep roots in sneakers and culture marketing, however using a tag like “skateboarding mindset” as sales euphemism for “not skateboarding” has never ended well. Read the whole piece if you’d like. And if these become Vans best selling shoes ever, we will apologize. Promise.

https://www.boardistan.com/?p=65251
[close]
100% not going to work but those are probably the comfiest Vans ever made.
[close]

Those are absolutely fucked. The idea of an actual vibram soled skate shoe is good though. Outside of skateboarding, I don't buy shoes unless they're vibram soled. Nothing compares. Hard rubber, yet grippy and incredibly durable.
iPath did it

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 153
« Reply #243 on: February 24, 2024, 06:10:08 PM »
https://www.boardistan.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/SP24_OTW_VN000CNBBKA_HalfCabReissue33Vibram_BlackBlack_Efron_2115-1536x1152-1.jpg

This new Vibram soled “Half Cab Reissue 33’ shoe” that Vans has dropped is the latest sad attempt to correct the brand’s sales freefall. It’s called OTW by Vans and it is an attempt by VF Corp to force the Vans brand back into mainstream fashion relevance. Apparently, it can all be blamed on this guy:

Ian Ginoza, VP of Creative Direction for OTW by Vans, said: “OTW by Vans is a frontier for progression, experiences and collaboration. The skateboarding mindset is core to Vans, and OTW enriches that spirit through a distinct perspective to propel culture forward.”

If anyone can pull it off Ginoza can. He has deep roots in sneakers and culture marketing, however using a tag like “skateboarding mindset” as sales euphemism for “not skateboarding” has never ended well. Read the whole piece if you’d like. And if these become Vans best selling shoes ever, we will apologize. Promise.

I get down on myself about my self-worth and the job market sometimes, but then I remember how many downright vapid waste-of-space dumbasses are able to bullshit themselves into positions of power at major corporations every day and then I don't feel so bad.

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
« Reply #244 on: February 24, 2024, 11:24:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
AVE’s dancing on thin ice part is more memorable than anything Austyn has done in recent years

You can just say you don’t pay attention to Austyn because he’s put out a part a year for roughly the last five years.

Here’s a start:
http://youtu.be/LjjAPcW8fCY?si=2uO9cDGOc5gqO633

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #245 on: February 25, 2024, 11:18:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

You can just say you don’t pay attention to Austyn because he’s put out a part a year for roughly the last five years.

Here’s a start:

Whether he puts out footage or not was not their point. The point is - was any of Austyn's footage memorable compared to AVE's?

I have no stake in comparing because I've watched and enjoyed skating from both dudes in the last 10 years
Super Champion Fun Zone

Chimppimpin

• Rep: 6
« Reply #246 on: February 25, 2024, 05:26:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Here’s a start:
[close]

Whether he puts out footage or not was not their point. The point is - was any of Austyn's footage memorable compared to AVE's?

I have no stake in comparing because I've watched and enjoyed skating from both dudes in the last 10 years
that’s what i was getting at, I pay attention to Austyn but his skating hasn’t done anything for me like AVE’s has. I still have AVE’s part on repeat, there’s like maybe 2 tricks I like from Austyns most recent part.

JohnDi

• Rep: -19
« Reply #247 on: February 25, 2024, 06:39:26 PM »

I know those shoes are trash but gotta remember normies love those chuck taylor runs.

I could see that OTW like being popular with gentrifiers or people into ceramics etc
I think OTW is just a renaming of Vans Vault which seems to be same structure of I guess limited colorways and redesigns of classics I don’t mind it if you aren’t skating and want to wear Vans but also want a shoe with actual cushion this seems to fit that void I think Vans misses out where Nike and other big brands have non skate models that everyone wears air max etc

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 410
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #248 on: February 25, 2024, 10:14:23 PM »
Vans OTW was around before Vault. I think it was more athletic shoes? There were a few years where Vans had a "skate inspired" line that was cupsoles but not official skate shoes and I'm pretty sure they were called OTW and they were basically all Flo Marfaing would skate from them. And then OTWs became like their high end / dressier line and Alex Olson would skate them a bunch and they tried to use those as a starting point for the Versa and Alex's pro model, but it didn't go anywhere.

https://www.villagepsychic.net/blog/vans-neal-shoemaker
https://www.nicekicks.com/vans-otw-howell-and-pritchard/

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 28
« Reply #249 on: February 26, 2024, 03:21:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I get down on myself about my self-worth and the job market sometimes, but then I remember how many downright vapid waste-of-space dumbasses are able to bullshit themselves into positions of power at major corporations every day and then I don't feel so bad.

however using a tag like “skateboarding mindset” as sales euphemism for “not skateboarding” has never ended well.

there is know one left at Vans with a PLAN.

get the fuck out of that stupid "skateboard Mindset nonesense"
GO Skating instead - and  making classic /basic skateshoes with no gimicks.
Just proper qualilty, good materials and eye pleasing color ways.

So they will not grow forever - but will have a solid market share.

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
« Reply #250 on: February 27, 2024, 09:50:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Here’s a start:
[close]

[close]
that’s what i was getting at, I pay attention to Austyn but his skating hasn’t done anything for me like AVE’s has. I still have AVE’s part on repeat, there’s like maybe 2 tricks I like from Austyns most recent part.

Understood.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #251 on: February 27, 2024, 08:25:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Vans will do anything but make a cupsole half cab
[close]
rightfully so. what the fuck would that even be/look like
Slightly derpy just like all of the other BMX versions of Vans classics with the Wafflecup sole.
unreadable trap logo

Troubadour26

• Rep: 111
« Reply #252 on: February 27, 2024, 10:40:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Slightly derpy just like all of the other BMX versions of Vans classics with the Wafflecup sole.

probably really similar to the Rowan 2

Bryanferry

• Rep: -43

lurkluke

• Rep: 231
« Reply #254 on: February 27, 2024, 11:28:56 PM »

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #255 on: February 28, 2024, 12:11:36 AM »

Weird this guy keeps coming up but my first job in LA was making frames for the artist who designed that skateable structure. That dude was selling everything, every show. Also randomly stumbled across a shout-out to him in Matt Reason's TWS Spotlight a few years back. I have never met him personally lol
unreadable trap logo

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #256 on: February 28, 2024, 03:43:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

probably really similar to the Rowan 2

I had some Crockett mids that I’m pretty sure we’re wafflecups. Really close to a cupsole cab.

Van’s has been played since early 2020: I was in Uptown MPLS the first weekend it was nice enough to not be boot weather and 8/10 people were wearing Vans. Cool locals, kids in from the burbs, babies, everybody’s mom, scruffy aging bachelors from rural Wisconsin, EVERYBODY. I knew it was the peak. Sneakers go in trends. You’d think these big money, big brain types would see this, but the wave crests and there’s talk of a brand somehow fucking up.  Fucking up is paying 2B for Supreme. Fucking up is buying a brand that’s gotten hot and expecting unreasonable, unrealistic and completely unsustainable growth in perpetuity. Or it’s the reality of capitalism, the big money knew it all along.  The first rule is never gamble with your own money.

231st Street

• Rep: -216
« Reply #257 on: March 01, 2024, 07:08:17 AM »
https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/burnout/off-the-giant-orange-wall/

This is apparently part of the plan. What are we looking at here exactly?

Ghost Face

• Rep: 125
« Reply #258 on: March 05, 2024, 12:41:21 AM »
I can't read the full article but if VF is happy with Supreme's current sales then they might not be one of the brands they're looking to sell off.................or they're playing a game of "the brand is doing great" in order to sell off.

https://shop-eat-surf.com/2024/02/supreme-a-bright-spot-in-tough-quarter-for-vf/
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

kelbywest

« Reply #259 on: March 06, 2024, 05:25:56 AM »
I remember seeing Palace "firing shots" at Vans in their recent lookbook/preview descriptions and someone mentioned it's because Vans took their collab silhouette from last year and is continuing to produce it. However, I see in the description that is mentions Danny Brady & Rory Milanes' + Palace further. So what is the real scoop? Are Palace and Vans beefing or is it just friendly banter? Or is Vans continuing to use Danny & Rory's names as they produce them as to "not take all the credit"? Maybe I'm missing something or just tripping.

https://skateparkoftampa.com/spot/p.aspx?ID=96143&mc_cid=9a92caa134&mc_eid=4b6e945dcc

Malcolm Sex

• Rep: -90
« Reply #260 on: March 06, 2024, 05:52:37 AM »
They're not for sale on the Vans site.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #261 on: March 06, 2024, 06:14:13 AM »
Palace likes to make JOKES.

kelbywest

« Reply #262 on: March 06, 2024, 06:54:03 AM »

Yes but previously they had the Vans in their range previews and it was sort of announced as they would be available every season, similar to how Supreme constantly stocks Hanes collab products. This season there is no Vans listed in the preview. I know it's speculation but I was tying it back to my initial point about the silhouette jacking.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #263 on: March 06, 2024, 07:08:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes but previously they had the Vans in their range previews and it was sort of announced as they would be available every season, similar to how Supreme constantly stocks Hanes collab products. This season there is no Vans listed in the preview. I know it's speculation but I was tying it back to my initial point about the silhouette jacking.
What is the deal with the MC design? I’m guessing palace just combining the patterns of the Carroll with the halfcab doesn’t make it their design? Vans still owns it?

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #264 on: March 06, 2024, 07:14:31 AM »

Rowan Zorilla as Paul Atreides in Dune: Part 2 (2024)

Luddite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #265 on: March 18, 2024, 08:42:54 PM »
The latest Thrasher confirms they kicked off Taylor Kirby and Tanner Van Vark, but added someone new. Anyone know who?

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #266 on: March 18, 2024, 09:08:37 PM »
that big yellow otw thing was a waste of money.

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: 0
« Reply #267 on: March 18, 2024, 09:09:28 PM »

this looks like one of those aim_ maps from counter-strike source

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 410
« Reply #268 on: March 18, 2024, 09:15:16 PM »
The latest Thrasher confirms they kicked off Taylor Kirby and Tanner Van Vark, but added someone new. Anyone know who?

They kicked off TVV? Why? He made Kyle Walker’s second shoe look good and he’s always killing it.

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #269 on: March 19, 2024, 05:23:53 AM »
these are the vons plons