Author Topic: Vans Plans  (Read 49490 times)

Craig Lutzka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
Re: Vans Plans
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2018, 02:37:41 PM »
Expand Quote
The quality of their shoes is horrible that's why you get them for 30 bucks. I went in a vans outlet store recently there was nothing core about it. The manager was showing customers shoes and then telling them the appropriate outfit to wear with them
[close]
Did he recommend a fedora?
Yeah she told me the authentic's they had on the sale rack would go great with the fedora I was wearing

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2018, 05:33:19 PM »
all the Pro Classics are so good. Best shoes

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2018, 07:16:06 PM »
My cousin once bought a authentic pro for 9 bucks in a vans outlet store.

I saw a pair of Crockett 2's at an outlet the other day for $10. They were a size 7

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2018, 07:30:36 PM »
Expand Quote
My cousin once bought a authentic pro for 9 bucks in a vans outlet store.
[close]

I saw a pair of Crockett 2's at an outlet the other day for $10. They were a size 7
I bought a paid of chimas a couple years back for 10 bucks . Outlet stores are lit.

SubCurban Commando

• Rep: 16
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2018, 10:47:12 PM »
Vans outlet stores used to be amazing, around 2001-2005 you could get authentic, eras, old schools and half cabs for £5 a pair all day long, I had them in every colour going and they weren't as shitty quality as they are now. Outlets are shit now that vans are trendy though, super expensive

Prawn Cocktail

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2018, 12:13:31 AM »
They are starting a B team, kinda like Nikes “Core” program with Cyrus and all the 917 dudes.

Jerry and CK1 are just bro flow, nothings happening with them.

But Kayder, Ben K, Axel, the Canadians, are all about to have their own little squad

I guess Aidan Mackey doesn't have exactly what Nike wants.

IHOP

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2018, 08:55:44 AM »
They are starting a B team, kinda like Nikes “Core” program with Cyrus and all the 917 dudes.

But Kayder, Ben K, Axel, the Canadians, are all about to have their own little squad

right about everything besides the canadians.  they already have their own squad that pays them, its called vans canada.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2018, 09:57:49 AM »
Vans plans
Vans plans
I feel good sometimes I don’t (ay)
I feel bad sometimes I don’t (ay)
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2018, 10:12:05 AM »
all the Pro Classics are so good. Best shoes

Berky

• Rep: -19
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2018, 12:20:23 PM »
Chaz Ortiz has also been wearing vans alot

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2018, 01:57:47 PM »
You're out of your mind if you think ben k is on anymore than dill flow

nonstripedzebra

• Rep: -8
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2018, 12:34:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Euro TM?
[close]

Im so torn what to do with vans these days. I do appreciated all the money they give back into skateboarding and I do enjoy skating in them. On the other hand, it makes me cringe when I walk into a mall and see vans in every store. Do i really want to be wearing a brand carried at DSW? I know vans has been carried in sports stores for a very long time but the shoes were so different that it almost was like two separate brands. Now they have all these modified versions of the classics and just name them something else.

As an identity of a skateboarder I don't want to be under the same class as everyone else. Is it just me that feels this way?
[close]

just buy Lakai/Emerica?

i feel ya though

I will never understand this argument. I don't understand how sole tech being reliant on dumb conservative suburb kids and corporate skate shops like zumiez is any different or better than vans, who has equally if not more backed core skaters etc. Vans has been tied to skateboarding since the 70s, beyond any other definition it is a skateboard brand first and foremost. yes people in suits are in board meetings making decisions, but have you looked at the sole tech headquarters as well. And frankly vans has backed a far lower economic client base and a more diverse cultural background then San Clemente white kids for there products and team riders. Vans has backed riders that blend generational gaps in skating over that whole duration beyond fanfare. To me as a kid it was dope knowing Vans was backing a say Julian Stranger, or other under the limelight radar. And when people complain that it has gotten to hip or dumb beat bros are wearing old skools, the fact is the majority of the pros who get skateboard product run are beloved by skateboarders (Trujillo, AVE, Walker, Crockett, Chima) and are not celebrated simply on the hype train.

Vans in my opinion gets a pass if it continues to back and select team riders as aesthetically conscious as it has for its historical run. I think it has an exceptional knack in making a team that is contemporarily fascinating but also has ties to early origin skating. If say Berle were on Nike you wouldn't think about ties to Santa Monica, dog town, and early skateboarding was you do when he is on vans. And other riders have different connotations that are also engaging. To me that makes them an exception as most brands are lazy in thinking associatively with riders.

And when it comes to "core" brands, I simply ask where is the uniqueness in current designs? I think with the major sport brands taking storm, smaller shoe brands have fallen back on classic silhouettes appealing to a mid 2000s nostalgic base for designs. Personally the lack of risk or individualism with the sole tech brands, lakai and others is a huge reason why they are loosing traction. There isn't dynamic designs and ultimately that will be they only way they stay alive in being a unique exception. They can blame it on these larger brands and what not but when these companies are backed in a corner, they are falling on simple formulas. And the few companies not doing that I think are benefitting. Huf has strategically prioritized a somewhat unique aesthetic, wanting to be judged on the dynamism of their silhouettes. DC (although much larger than most) is returning to vintage silhouettes they mastered and there is a cool confidence in that, that nike and Adidas can't touch. Obviously it sucks that they are wiping out the potential for more diverse products in stores, and it is an total uphill battle for those brands, but the designs are fairly route regardless.

drunkenshredder

• Rep: -135
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2018, 01:02:08 PM »
Vans does more for skateboarding than anyone else. They just did another give back clinic. They also give riders jobs when they want to do more than just skateboard.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2018, 04:09:57 PM »
tldr: vans is forced to put back into skateboarding because it's the smartest way to do business for them to stay relevant in skateboarding as well as in the mainstream. it's not out of philanthropy, rather the company is basically a cultural hostage to skateboarding as a whole.

some of you guys put way too much thought into the supposed ethics of especially, but not exclusively, shoe companies. none of these exist because they want to "give back to skateboarding". they are sure happy tho that adult consumers themselves help them come up with big myths about how they are about pushing the culture.

putting money in isn't everything, it's cool that they sponsor a ton of people and let bum ex-pros work in the warehouse for a while after their career is done, then again they know the mainstream consumer might drop old skools in a while for some other new trendy footwear. vans saw what can happen with companies like dvs that are more backed by fmxers nowadays. vans still has surf and bike programs but really stresses the skate heritage so they stay true to the core scene that will still buy vans when non skaters won't anymore.

perhabs they are setting themselves up for this in the form of this b-team/sub company. maybe the line will be a bit different and more tech, like the ultrarange. or updated classics like they tried with the cab lite. basically vans for a new generation of upcoming skaters that will be designed in anticipation of the mid 90s tech shoe revival. during that time vans were there but they weren't considered cool. only old punk skaters wore vans in 97. maybe they are afraid that dc, adidas and nb# will cash in harder on that trend. nike seems to be immune to trends. actual skaters will keep buying blazers and dunks, janoskis are just another classic nike model now and will go nowhere, everyother nike sb i see as expendable.

it's about markets and shit. vans has been good at consolidating again in the skate shoe market after they were almost irrelevant until rowley dropped his first promodel. vans was kept afloat because they already were (sub)cultural mainstream in the early 90s. all the hardcore/punk/indie kids and generation xers would wear skate-his while most actual skaters didn't care a lot (yeah, despite there was a good team then with j. stranger, agah and even carroll before dc)and were about dc and then es. they don't want to lose their staying power again, so they try to create a new market for once the mainstream market dries up again for them, although there will always be some demand for classic vans models by the mainstream consumer as well imo.

fact is vans needs skateboarding. if the skateboarders drop it, the mainstream consumer will keep it up at this big of an operation only for so long, and committing to non skaters will alienate their core customer base, which means they won't sell shoes so good in the future. that's what it's about. especially since vans has blown up so much and since they are owned by vf. with these big corporations there is no downshrinking plan in case the brand falls out of favor. it's forwards or get sold.

just a theory(vans if you read this and i'm right pay me/give me job plz-->pm only!!!)

nonstripedzebra

• Rep: -8
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2018, 07:01:20 PM »
tldr: vans is forced to put back into skateboarding because it's the smartest way to do business for them to stay relevant in skateboarding as well as in the mainstream. it's not out of philanthropy, rather the company is basically a cultural hostage to skateboarding as a whole.

some of you guys put way too much thought into the supposed ethics of especially, but not exclusively, shoe companies. none of these exist because they want to "give back to skateboarding". they are sure happy tho that adult consumers themselves help them come up with big myths about how they are about pushing the culture.

putting money in isn't everything, it's cool that they sponsor a ton of people and let bum ex-pros work in the warehouse for a while after their career is done, then again they know the mainstream consumer might drop old skools in a while for some other new trendy footwear. vans saw what can happen with companies like dvs that are more backed by fmxers nowadays. vans still has surf and bike programs but really stresses the skate heritage so they stay true to the core scene that will still buy vans when non skaters won't anymore.

perhabs they are setting themselves up for this in the form of this b-team/sub company. maybe the line will be a bit different and more tech, like the ultrarange. or updated classics like they tried with the cab lite. basically vans for a new generation of upcoming skaters that will be designed in anticipation of the mid 90s tech shoe revival. during that time vans were there but they weren't considered cool. only old punk skaters wore vans in 97. maybe they are afraid that dc, adidas and nb# will cash in harder on that trend. nike seems to be immune to trends. actual skaters will keep buying blazers and dunks, janoskis are just another classic nike model now and will go nowhere, everyother nike sb i see as expendable.

it's about markets and shit. vans has been good at consolidating again in the skate shoe market after they were almost irrelevant until rowley dropped his first promodel. vans was kept afloat because they already were (sub)cultural mainstream in the early 90s. all the hardcore/punk/indie kids and generation xers would wear skate-his while most actual skaters didn't care a lot (yeah, despite there was a good team then with j. stranger, agah and even carroll before dc)and were about dc and then es. they don't want to lose their staying power again, so they try to create a new market for once the mainstream market dries up again for them, although there will always be some demand for classic vans models by the mainstream consumer as well imo.

fact is vans needs skateboarding. if the skateboarders drop it, the mainstream consumer will keep it up at this big of an operation only for so long, and committing to non skaters will alienate their core customer base, which means they won't sell shoes so good in the future. that's what it's about. especially since vans has blown up so much and since they are owned by vf. with these big corporations there is no downshrinking plan in case the brand falls out of favor. it's forwards or get sold.

just a theory(vans if you read this and i'm right pay me/give me job plz-->pm only!!!)

There is a lot of accurate points in this ( and hope you get the job). Vans I think creates a unique relationship with economic incentive and its appeared specific interest and choices in skateboarding.  I think it is a curious case on the dependency on consumers associating with a sub culture even if they aren't aligned with the subculture. Yet I think its fair to say that as currently vans has done it fairly well or at least uniquely for a company its scale.

Yes, this is ultimately financially motivated, but the brand has not wavered despite. And even in the years where off the wall was gone, as mentioned they sponsored so many skaters we know look back on with maybe much more fanfare and appreciation than a myriad of teams from the same time. That might have been chance hearsay but it does create a point of reflection  and thus I think a staying power with the commitment from skaters. They never wavered on how good Stranger was and how influential he was. They continue to have invested interest with Cardiel which is no small feat as look at the turnover for the majority of counterparts.

Obviously that is tied to a mutually beneficial relationship but from the outside it seems to have more nuance in construction than your average shoe brand. There calculations seem to market things that I think many revere in the sub culture. A historic sense of skateboarding, exceptions to a norm with team riders or one off unique individuals. I mean they fund the love letters, devoting whole series of episodes for riders that don't ride for vans.

Nike who can operate with a lot more house money wouldn't do that and also we would think it weird for them to do? which in itself demonstrates our perception of vans to its counterparts. I do think that fits the brands marketability, they are a pillar of the culture, they have history in skateboarding etc, but personally that doesn't make it any less profound to skate culture. Even the most associated core brands say Anti Hero is ultimately still economically motivated. If its marketability is based on appealing to those facets and giving certain historic riders paramount that  a more comprehensive ploy which in itself makes it all the more devoted by/from skaters.

I do think another interesting development is price point. Many models are simply much cheaper than counterparts. I think thats is what helped it grow beyond skate culture and into sneaker culture. People like to reflect a brand with unique and considered aesthetic senses thats affordability is part of its engaging association.

IDK I just find this really fascinating as well and think vans is a very strange juxtaposition in culture. On one handful of its riders are very removed from the majority of its consumer base. I find that a strange choice but maybe an accidentally brilliant one. I mean what is the marketing incentive to sponsor someone like Andrew Allen if not simply for skaters or deep cut skate fans thinking he is one of the best or at least exceptionally unique. On one level we don't think about it, cause it fits and aligns with many other vans riders but really it fairly strange and unique.

I mean this a company that could be American eagle, only signing pretty cats with surfer brand gusto, which no mistake they do as well (Curren Caples) but its still a strange dynamic choice and one I think many are engaged by. On one hand I think non skaters like associating with Skaters skaters, your Ave's and Trujilos something so specific or historical like the gen X punk, Surfer rock, east LA look that vans also have associations with. People like to associate with something specific even if  they have zero invested interest in that subculture. Vans seems to recognize that aspect of counter culturalism or specificity as a core element to its appeal and marketability. And that in itself I think creates a commitment or reverence for the brand. Its a strange development operate on the very minute that effects a huge marketplace. All that aside I do think it would behoove more companies to think more broadly in its associative aspects and or historical context. More specificity in brand image. I think DC is making a unique choice in that matter.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2018, 09:08:45 PM »
i agree with a lot of this. i didn't want to come off as cynical or something, of course there's lots of people at work at vans that care a lot about skateboarding. i guess since most core shoe brands are owned by big funds now, i only see money motivated movements everywhere.

i just found this video, haven't watched it yet myself but thought i'd share it regardless:

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2018, 11:58:11 PM »
wow,  dudes really be writing essays about Vans in here

wheee!

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2018, 12:24:53 AM »
Vans- Off the Wall (of writing)

Coolhats

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2018, 03:57:48 AM »
It would be cool to see more small drops, mind of like how they did Syndicate. I haven’t really seen much out of their Arcad department that appeals to me.

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2018, 05:52:44 AM »
Bring back the polka dot no skools and the xlt's. I beg of you.
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2023, 03:29:08 AM »
Dunno if this is S.O.P. for Vans, corporate policy, or just a one-off done at the Philly store. At the very least in a cynical sense it is a missed "PR opportunity" for them.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CwlY-3kyzMR/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Disgusting, but not surprising. Supermarkets and fast food spots do similar things with their prepared foods.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

Rune Spliffberg

• Rep: 107
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2023, 04:50:43 AM »
Dunno if this is S.O.P. for Vans, corporate policy, or just a one-off done at the Philly store. At the very least in a cynical sense it is a missed "PR opportunity" for them.

Disgusting, but not surprising. Supermarkets and fast food spots do similar things with their prepared foods.

she's obv not a skater, those are just rips and holes from someone totally shredding in those shoes

DERBY

• Rep: 254
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2023, 06:32:53 AM »

vans is blowing it.

DERBY

• Rep: 254
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2023, 07:05:15 AM »
also vans fire your head designer and see if gilby would like to take charge

tadej Pog

• Rep: -527
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2023, 07:20:55 AM »
Ervery kid or dude that I see rockin Vans has a bad style.

Worst brand.
Miss you Rusty Berings

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2023, 10:29:46 AM »
Vans being worn by MLB players during games.  What's next, skaters wearing mainstream brands?

https://theathletic.com/4766708/2023/08/10/michael-lorenzen-no-hitter-vans/

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2023, 02:15:00 PM »
Not seen it with shoes, but this is/was a fairly common practice across the fashion industry. Cut and toss out of season products that didn’t sell.

H&M got caught doing this with their end-of-season goods over a decade ago. Employees were tasked with cutting the clothes & tossing them in the dumpster.

Pretty sure they made a statement & stopped it n all that.. but who’s ta truly say.

Truly despicable of Vans and anyone.

lurkluke

• Rep: 175
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2023, 02:39:33 PM »
Not seen it with shoes, but this is/was a fairly common practice across the fashion industry. Cut and toss out of season products that didn’t sell.

H&M got caught doing this with their end-of-season goods over a decade ago. Employees were tasked with cutting the clothes & tossing them in the dumpster.

Pretty sure they made a statement & stopped it n all that.. but who’s ta truly say.

Truly despicable of Vans and anyone.

Yeah it's fucked.

High fashion brands do a lot of things like this, to prevent the poors wearing their clothes. A brand like vans could benefit from it though, especially in 2023 when everyone is concerned at how cooked the world is getting.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2023, 03:09:37 PM »
In 2016 I filed a warranty claim with a popular backpack manufacturer due to a zipper that was starting to break. 95% of the backpack was in perfect condition, but their warranty process included this:

"In order to redeem your credit, we do require you to destroy it (take a knife to it, and cut a large “X” in the FRONT of the product). We have you destroy the product to ensure that the same product does not get re-entered for another warranty down the road. When you send in photos of the destroyed product, you will be emailed a coupon... "

I couldn't believe that shit. They've since changed their policy, but it was definitely fucked up. A database with a true / false value for a product warranty claim was far too much work.

Then again this industry (particularly the fashion side of it) is largely propped up by taking products made in sweat shops, slapping a logo on them, and increasing the price by 1000%, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2023, 04:12:56 PM »
I myself have 18 Lamborghinis. And a Subaru station wagon