Author Topic: Vans Plans  (Read 49486 times)

RoaryMcTwang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
Re: Vans Plans
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2023, 06:02:07 PM »
Vans- Off the Wall (of writing)

Vans - Of the Wall

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2023, 07:39:49 PM »
also vans fire your head designer and see if gilby would like to take charge

All vans in different denims only?  I’m your huckleberry

Quique

• Rep: 52
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2023, 10:32:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Not seen it with shoes, but this is/was a fairly common practice across the fashion industry. Cut and toss out of season products that didn’t sell.

H&M got caught doing this with their end-of-season goods over a decade ago. Employees were tasked with cutting the clothes & tossing them in the dumpster.

Pretty sure they made a statement & stopped it n all that.. but who’s ta truly say.

Truly despicable of Vans and anyone.
[close]

Yeah it's fucked.

High fashion brands do a lot of things like this, to prevent the poors wearing their clothes. A brand like vans could benefit from it though, especially in 2023 when everyone is concerned at how cooked the world is getting.

Have you seen the mountains of clothes dropped in the Atacama desert? That shit is beyond fucked
https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2023/04/11360411/chile-fast-fashion-dumping-atacama-desert-now

Ricky Vaughn

• Rep: 265
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2023, 11:47:20 AM »
all the ''cool'' moms at my kids school be wearing Vans Hi's on the reg

a couple of them even have one sleeve of plants and flower tats
Tell the world to eat my dick
I’m a prick motherfucker
Life Hell Tough shit
I’m the bic motherfucker

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2023, 12:10:13 PM »
And I see all these hot hipster chicks clunking around in new balances……

Guys it’s not us setting the trends….it hasn’t been this way for a long time.  These brands spend money on marketing when they have money……it’s not the team the drives the brand….it’s the opposite….

If you want to see a core footwear brand that works the way it should….it’s last resort……..there it is…..see…. Try to stay awake….

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2023, 12:22:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Not seen it with shoes, but this is/was a fairly common practice across the fashion industry. Cut and toss out of season products that didn’t sell.

H&M got caught doing this with their end-of-season goods over a decade ago. Employees were tasked with cutting the clothes & tossing them in the dumpster.

Pretty sure they made a statement & stopped it n all that.. but who’s ta truly say.

Truly despicable of Vans and anyone.
[close]

Yeah it's fucked.

High fashion brands do a lot of things like this, to prevent the poors wearing their clothes. A brand like vans could benefit from it though, especially in 2023 when everyone is concerned at how cooked the world is getting.
[close]

Have you seen the mountains of clothes dropped in the Atacama desert? That shit is beyond fucked
https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2023/04/11360411/chile-fast-fashion-dumping-atacama-desert-now

HEY DUDE THAT SHIT ITS HERE WHERE I WORK!!!!! (its really like 10 km away from my hospital)
We have an special economic zone here for imports: to our country but also for bolivia/paraguay/brazil

All that mess its american and european clothes (mainly Turkey and Germany) that was thrown in recycling bins OR "old" seasons of H&M, ZARA and BERSHKA.
They collect in those countries, fill containers to the top and then and sent them around the world to "classification factories" were they split those containers into small packages like: MEN, WOMEN, KIDS, SHOES, SPORTS, BABY and of course: TRASH.
Basically all the second hand clothing of Chile, Paraguay and Bolivia enters through our port in Iquique, and you can see the amount of TRASH started pilling up quick and thats the result. Its a shame I know.

Thats the process and how recycling its actually a nice lie with nice profits for some people.

Shuh

• Rep: 3
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2023, 05:48:19 AM »

adumb

• Rep: -5
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2023, 06:09:09 AM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/10/30/new-vf-corp-ceo-talks-plans-to-improve-business-.html

Corp talk for "bye bye some in the skate team"

So do they cut the big contracts and flow the universe, or keep the big dogs only and let the 3rd stringers fight for a roster spot elsewhere?

Zion's bummed he bailed on the swoosh

Ricky Vaughn

• Rep: 265
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2023, 06:11:03 AM »
Tell the world to eat my dick
I’m a prick motherfucker
Life Hell Tough shit
I’m the bic motherfucker

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2023, 06:20:28 AM »
As barebones as the skateboard industry seems, it's probably already far too bloated for the investment firms who bought in over the past ~10 years when near-0% interests rates were the norm.

Interestingly I think it's companies like Nike who will be in a much better position to weather these storms.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 108
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2023, 06:27:13 AM »
I heard they canned a couple of big international tours and replaced it with those regional tours you've been seeing around California and other random cities...

Greg Hunt jumped to Adidas right ?

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2023, 06:27:42 AM »
As barebones as the skateboard industry seems, it's probably already far too bloated for the investment firms who bought in over the past ~10 years when near-0% interests rates were the norm.

Interestingly I think it's companies like Nike who will be in a much better position to weather these storms.

They will just pull out if they need to and re- enter the market when it’s hot again. They’ve done it before.
 Late 23 and 2024 are going to see a lot of changes.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1960
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2023, 06:38:00 AM »
Man, this is almost as bad as when Nike shut down in June 2021!

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2023, 06:40:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They will just pull out if they need to and re- enter the market when it’s hot again. They’ve done it before.
 Late 23 and 2024 are going to see a lot of changes.

It's already late 2023, and Nike isn't pulling out of skating. My guess is that, at most, they trim their roster, but we haven't even seen that AKAIK. I'm no market watcher and I buy all my shoes at Nordstrom Rack or from the Sale Gear Thread, but it seems like the modern incarnation of Nike SB has really increased Nike's cultural cache and they would be silly to do away with the goodwill that built.

But more importantly, Nike SB isn't owned by a struggling investment firm which purchased it twenty years ago and lucked into a few great years where their shoes were popular. It's a whole-cloth creation of a the world's largest apparel brand and shoe maker which profits ~$20b annually.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2023, 06:41:44 AM »

But not nearly as dangerous as when Nike got into skateboard manufacturing and put all the small board brands out of business!

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2023, 06:42:05 AM »

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2023, 07:03:04 AM »
Expand Quote

Bracken Darrell is a wild name

Everytime, I read a quote from some vans suit, It makes it clear that they were never in the vans demographic and never understood vans appeal.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2023, 08:04:12 AM »
after seeing the forbes article discussion a few weeks back, i was tempted to learn how to short stocks again. then some big investing company bought into vf corp and their stock went up, and i was reminded trading's always a gamble.

seems like a perfect time for vfc to get the 2007 hit "got my vans on" trending. if you're gonna attempt to brainwash people, not being subtle about it is appreciated.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2023, 08:30:07 AM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/10/30/new-vf-corp-ceo-talks-plans-to-improve-business-.html

Corp talk for "bye bye some in the skate team"

"…always appealing to that slightly mischievous, fun side that we all have inside.”

dstrytruitt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 105
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2023, 09:00:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

But not nearly as dangerous as when Nike got into skateboard manufacturing and put all the small board brands out of business!

Halloween spookies.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2238
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2023, 09:18:53 AM »
Expand Quote

"…always appealing to that slightly mischievous, fun side that we all have inside.”

"Inside all of us there’s a little bit of an underdog, a little bit of an outsider. Not everybody but almost everybody."

Well, not everybody, but almost everybody.

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 136
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2023, 09:33:01 AM »
VFC down 13% in todays session

231st Street

• Rep: -199
« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2023, 11:07:00 AM »
And yes some of us have day traded VF Corp.  I've ridden a few bumps when the sad articles are posted in olden days.  don't have time or inclination these days for day trading in post-lockup world.

I am still concerns at multiple vans stores didn't see 58 mm hard spits or bones/powell wheels. Gotta be a bad sign-- ordered from Tactics again.  I understand that is not the main focus of their store, but if skaters have no reason to come in, why would others come in?  Thats not how the halo effect works exactly.

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #83 on: October 31, 2023, 11:21:55 AM »
23% drop is massive. Usually a 5-10% drop would make shareholders go insane. So it'll be interesting to see how this plays out. :S

https://shop-eat-surf.com/2023/10/new-balance-unseats-vans-in-latest-piper-sandler-teen-survey/
This was interesting, New Balance just took over Vans for a popular market survey with teens on what's cool.

alienlurkshop

• Rep: -32
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2023, 12:51:38 PM »
Shorting VF gave me a 250% return  8)

buffalo hunter

• Rep: 35
« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2023, 01:03:59 PM »
VF made the Vans president step down. Vans is the worst since it went bankrupt in the 1980s. I wonder if VF will sell Vans.

WarmUpZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 463
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2023, 01:22:33 PM »
Rough times coming to Vans employees for sure.
Bracken kicked off his CEO tenure at Logitech by laying off 140 employees there (5% of their workforce).
"lower its cost base" means cuts everywhere, certainly labor, marketing (which would be sponsored skaters), and projects that don't result in immediate revenue.

I'm not sure how this will trickle down to pro skaters, but it is easy to see how a skater who has a lot of core clout but not much marketability outside of that would be cut. Could be bad news for folks like Dick Rizzo, Tanner Van Vark, or Nick Michel. Even worse, I know Vans is a chief sponsor for decent independent skate media like The Bunt, Quartersnacks, and Jenkem, and that could dry up.

Hopefully they'll actually "reinvest in brand building" and focus on the "skater community", but all that sounds like vague bullshit when we know these companies often just try to make themselves seem more profitable by cutting costs.

For what is worth, Bracken has a base salary of $1.3 mil, plus 175% of that on top as a bonus, plus "granted equity" of $3 mil in stocks that only takes a couple year to vest.
Also note that the inter CEO, Benno Dorer, was given a $300k "completion bonus" on his way out the door (from just several months on the job).

The previous CEO, Steve Rendle, topped over $15 million in compensation the year before that. And that was down from his pay the previous year!

So keep in mind how much these executives get paid when they decide that giving a struggling skater $12k a year isn't in their budget.

https://www.vfc.com/investors/financial-information/sec-filings/content/0001193125-23-169577/0001193125-23-169577.pdf
https://wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion-scoops/steve-rendle-vf-ceo-pay-supreme-vans-north-face-dickies-1235204715/
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 27
« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2023, 02:18:11 PM »
Guy please don’t disrespect Wracking Darrell

Keep in mind he was the CEO of Logitech
and also led the charge to help Old Spice turn its brand around.

He will know better about Vans and that skateboarding stuff…

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -218
« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2023, 02:55:54 PM »
Vans?

how many SLAP posters wear Hokas during the day?

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -65
  • ???
« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2023, 07:47:41 PM »
Vans?

how many SLAP posters wear Hokas during the day?

I got 2 pairs of their recovery slides, one size 10 and another size 11, I am typically a 10.5

I wear them a bunch out and about for errands/ going to low key dinners. but not so much since it gets cold up here in Canada