Author Topic: Athens, Greece  (Read 3174 times)

J.Hawkes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Athens, Greece
« on: August 01, 2018, 04:31:25 AM »
Went skateboarding in Athens recently. Had my camera bag nicked. Bought a cheap DSLR with a kit lens and tried to make the most of it.

All pictures and a full write-up of the trip: https://www.joehawkes.co.uk/blog/2018/7/18/athens-2018

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
Re: Athens, Greece
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 12:54:28 AM »
Awesome writing and photos. After reading this and the Sofia thread, I know where my next holiday should be.

Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 01:07:29 AM »
sorry about your camera loss. great article
and photos. athens seems interesting. but
also like quite a rough area at the moment?

weed420

• Rep: 39
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 06:46:52 AM »
Bumping this one bc I'm going to be in Athens next week. If anyone has any recommendations, skate or otherwise, I would love to hear em. Also if anyone knows and would like to share the location of that tiny bump to bar that was in both the primitive and passport greece edits, that would be cool too. Thanks!

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 10:23:02 PM »
Juicy Grill has the best burgers in the whole world. Mystic Pizza is pretty awesome as well.

Color skateshop is awesome and try to go to one of the islands for at least a few days. Athens is nothing like the islands.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 12:33:12 PM »
Went skateboarding in Athens recently. Had my camera bag nicked. Bought a cheap DSLR with a kit lens and tried to make the most of it.

All pictures and a full write-up of the trip: https://www.joehawkes.co.uk/blog/2018/7/18/athens-2018

Sorry you lost your camera. I thought this was a great read n I love the photos. So many amazing spots. Love the nosegrind on the bench beside the water. It looks gorgeous there.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 12:39:00 PM by Christopher Lambe »

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
  • sweet, man.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 10:17:09 PM »
i've noticed that there has been quite a bit of interest in greece lately, as teams seem to be heading over there recently and giving it some shine.

just wanted to share this video that a few friends of mine from greece made. as far as i know, it's filmed mostly in athens, with some thessaloniki in there. i've been to thessaloniki, it's up north from athens, and it's incredible to skate.

anyways, here it is:

https://www.freeskatemag.com/2019/04/23/the-lover-promo/

J.Hawkes

• Rep: 3
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 04:44:29 AM »
Most of Athens is pretty sketchy, but if you keep your wits about you and don't do/go anywhere stupid you'll be fine. We stayed in Exarcheia, which is supposed to be the most dangerous place but it didn't feel too unsafe (I wouldn't walk around there alone, however).

Crime on tourists is high - I found out the hard way after having my camera bag robbed from beneath my feet. Pickpocketing is rife, but they can strike anywhere so there's nowhere to avoid. Don't carry anything too valuable and get travel insurance.

I assume you've seen my blog post on Athens if you're here - just shout if you need spot locations. Atlantic Drift did an edit not too long ago that has a few more spots.

The main thing is Athens is an incredible city that has loads of great skate spots and amazing(ly) cheap food. You'll have a great time.

dirty ol man

• Rep: 46
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 01:06:44 PM »
Most of Athens is pretty sketchy, but if you keep your wits about you and don't do/go anywhere stupid you'll be fine. We stayed in Exarcheia, which is supposed to be the most dangerous place but it didn't feel too unsafe (I wouldn't walk around there alone, however).

Crime on tourists is high - I found out the hard way after having my camera bag robbed from beneath my feet. Pickpocketing is rife, but they can strike anywhere so there's nowhere to avoid. Don't carry anything too valuable and get travel insurance.

I assume you've seen my blog post on Athens if you're here - just shout if you need spot locations. Atlantic Drift did an edit not too long ago that has a few more spots.

The main thing is Athens is an incredible city that has loads of great skate spots and amazing(ly) cheap food. You'll have a great time.

Backing this representation.

There is a lot of resentment towards tourists because a TON of people have been displaced by AirBnB operations. In fact there's a lot of anarchist graffiti all over saying fuck off airbnb.

The whole city feels a bit eerie at night, beyond the fact that it's ancient. it's just a beast of a city and feels almost too quiet in some areas that are central. i fortunately didn't have a problem with anyone there but you can feel lurk in some of the big plaza's.

food is AMAZING and incredibly cheap. USD to Euro is practically 1:1 right now, and beers without needing to tip are essentially 3-4 USD for an ice cold .5L. That's insane coming from NYC. Islands are spectacular. spent a week in Paros which is about a 3 hour ferry ride.

Greece fucking rules.

gyros4heroes

• Rep: -20
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2019, 02:17:11 AM »
I grew up in Athens and here is some stuff you might find useful.
Athens is a big city and it has being withstanding one of the worst financial crises of modern Europe, so watch your stuff, people will steal anything for some dough. Always walk in groups especially in night time.
Try not to get scammed by taxi drivers
Go to skateshops and ask for locals to show you around, you'd be amazed by the abundance of hidden spots
There is a website called thespot.gr which has a decent sized database of spots, i do not know if it is available in english but you can also filter it based on what you want to skate.
If you are staying in Athens for a while, try to go to the island of Andros sometime, where this god sent, skate friendly hotel is situated http://www.bluenigma.com/
Last there is no really need to go to bars, just grab a beer from the shop and head down to the street where Color Skateshop is located, you would be amazed by how many skaters/people are hanging there during night time.

P.S. Go bomb Lykavittos Hill, you'll love it

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2021, 02:12:54 PM »
Might be in Athens for a couple of weeks early September. Curious what parks you guys would recommend?

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2021, 08:31:54 AM »
Not too many options for skateparks in Athens.  Check out the DIY :

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x14a1995d8578c58b%3A0x8b586bc13d11df16!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipPKOzC3j-QlqJ3amdrSVuoRmYq-IHX4vjd557ah%3Dw520-h350-n-k-no!5sdiy%20skatepark%20athens%20-%20Google%20Search!15sCgIgAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipPKOzC3j-QlqJ3amdrSVuoRmYq-IHX4vjd557ah&hl=en

Looks like a pretty dope park. Are there any central spots people hang out at and just skate flatground? And on Google maps it tells me it's no possible to reach that park via public transit from Koukaki - is that right?

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2021, 11:26:31 AM »

Looks like a pretty dope park. Are there any central spots people hang out at and just skate flatground? And on Google maps it tells me it's no possible to reach that park via public transit from Koukaki - is that right?

Well, apparently not too many Athen's locals lurking here on Slap. Fortunately I know some of the people who run https://www.freemovementskateboarding.com/ so gonna link up with them and got a few post its on spots/bars/beaches to check out. If anyone else is ever here just lemme know if you  need recs and I'll post what I got - created a google mymaps.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2021, 01:51:56 PM »
you end up going to the golden temple?

Grind King Rims

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2021, 09:43:39 AM »
Looks like I'm going to Athens for December. Any recommendations for local music scene?

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2021, 12:44:30 PM »
Looks like I'm going to Athens for December. Any recommendations for local music scene?

Well, what kind of music are you into? There's a sick underground synth/darkwave/post punk scene in Athens. But, yeah, unfortunately most clubs and venues are closed atm.

@behavioralguide  Nah man, ended up going to some Ethiopian joint that was pretty good then got margaritas at parakeet. Trying to visit Amsterdam again soon!

Grind King Rims

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2021, 09:53:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well, what kind of music are you into? There's a sick underground synth/darkwave/post punk scene in Athens. But, yeah, unfortunately most clubs and venues are closed atm.

@behavioralguide  Nah man, ended up going to some Ethiopian joint that was pretty good then got margaritas at parakeet. Trying to visit Amsterdam again soon!

I'm a lover of all music, but yes, this kind of music is what I was mostly curious about! Fingers crossed maybe things will be a bit more open in December. Do you know of any venues, record stores or any online resources to look up this scene?

I also know of a hardcore band partly based in Athens that I played a gig with shortly before COVID, so maybe I'll track down their details.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2021, 01:31:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm a lover of all music, but yes, this kind of music is what I was mostly curious about! Fingers crossed maybe things will be a bit more open in December. Do you know of any venues, record stores or any online resources to look up this scene?

I also know of a hardcore band partly based in Athens that I played a gig with shortly before COVID, so maybe I'll track down their details.

If you are into goth/dark wave/etc you can try Dark Sun or Death Disco. TeddyBoy is alternative with post punk/new wave/80's electronica and disco. You can also check out Rebound and Temple.

Bad Tooth and The Handlebar. Bad Tooth is kind of trying to be like a punk American dive bar, I think. The Handlebar has a post punk night. Crust Pizza hosts some shit in the basement.

Damn, writing that out I'm realizing I've been blowing it the past two weeks I've been here because I didn't even go to all those places haha.

On a non-music skateboarding note, I kind of felt like Athens sucks for skating unless you're with a crew. Tons of spots, but there aren't really any skateparks. Syntagma is the main meet up spot but definitely mid 90's vibes there for me, ha. There's some good diy's but they're all like an hour out from the center. So since I was here without a crew, I didn't skate a ton. Ground's pretty rough for rolling around, generally speaking, but there's some fun hill bombs.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2021, 02:36:33 PM »
Oh I don't skate. Never saw the appeal. I came for the real confessions thread and never left. But thank you very much for your response. <3