Author Topic: Age old debate... is it a nosegrind, or overcrook?  (Read 27881 times)

HotnSpicyMcChicken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -40
Re: Age old debate... is it a nosegrind, or overcrook?
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2018, 07:36:22 AM »
Nosegrind = no pinch and no portion of the deck's nose touching (think nose manual while grinding); at least that's how it should be.

A straight on grind on the front truck, no pinch and with the nose touching is nothing other than sloppy (same goes for those tail/heel drag 5-0s).

OK so nosegrinds on round rails don't exist then? Or...

TooManyPros

• Rep: 59
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2018, 07:52:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Nosegrind = no pinch and no portion of the deck's nose touching (think nose manual while grinding); at least that's how it should be.

A straight on grind on the front truck, no pinch and with the nose touching is nothing other than sloppy (same goes for those tail/heel drag 5-0s).
[close]

OK so nosegrinds on round rails don't exist then? Or...

Nose grinds were performed before round rails were even though of as an obstacle.

Nosepicks ------> nosegrinds

Like a 5-0, nose grinds are/were balance tricks, no nose (or in the case of a 5-0, the tail) touching; to your point about round rails, are you saying touching the rail is needed? It's certainly become acceptable (just like sloppy 5-0s) probably because A) rails are longer and this provides stability and B) it's easier to heel drag on 5-0sand/or put your nose down.

No touching NGs can be done, however.

http://theberrics.com/muckmouth-dan-peterka/

“Actually, I was trying to cross over a double-sided curb or ledge via a nosegrind. And the only way that it was possible was through that method. Like a noseslide / noseblunt crossover. Me and Eric lived at the H-Street house during that same time period and we often skated together. He was there when it was birthed, and has claims to it as well.”

https://riders.co/en/skate/grinds/frontside-nosegrind

« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 08:12:32 AM by TooManyPros »

dpelevator

• Rep: 6
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2018, 07:53:34 AM »
Front overcrooks dont exist.

if he does the opposite and approaches fs and pinches a crook on the other side is that not a fs overcrook? If a reg footer ollied over and crooked the outside edge of Clipper that would just be a nosegrind?

In this scenario, since clipper is a ledge, if someone ollied over the ledge (frontside) to crooks on the other side as so,

it would be called an ollie over to bs crooks. Since darrel stanton ollied over clipper into a front blunt even though he approached backside.

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2018, 08:07:22 AM »

Expand Quote

if he does the opposite and approaches fs and pinches a crook on the other side is that not a fs overcrook? If a reg footer ollied over and crooked the outside edge of Clipper that would just be a nosegrind?
[close]

In this scenario, since clipper is a ledge, if someone ollied over the ledge (frontside) to crooks on the other side as so,

it would be called an ollie over to bs crooks. Since darrel stanton ollied over clipper into a front blunt even though he approached backside.

or a fs overcrook. he approached fs and the over means he went opposite side to crook. nobody says backside crook. its crook and front crook. The DS clip is very smooth but I would not call that a true blunt...no lock in.

dpelevator

• Rep: 6
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2018, 10:45:53 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
or a fs overcrook. he approached fs and the over means he went opposite side to crook. nobody says backside crook. its crook and front crook. The DS clip is very smooth but I would not call that a true blunt...no lock in.

Yeah, I think it would be fair to call the clipper situation a fs overcrook. But that is such a rarely done trick and is more an exception to the rule. Maybe it would be safer to say fs overcrooks on rails dont exist.

And agree about the "bs" being implied when talking about a crooks unless otherwise noted so I should have said ollie over to crooks. Was more pointing out that when you ollie over a ledge to grind the outside of it, the fs/bs often gets reversed when naming the trick likely just to paint a clearer picture of what the trick looks like.

If someone did the trick I shittily photoshopped above on clipper, and I described it as an ollie over to crooks I think it would paint a more accurate picture of it than if I called it a fs overcrook.

As for Darrels trick, I think ollie over to front blunt would be the best way to describe that trick and whomever you were talking to would be able to picture what you mean.

its basically the non-nose version of this trick: https://skateboarding.transworld.net/features/how-to-ollie-over-to-noseblunt-with-jt-aultz/

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2018, 07:05:05 PM »
I think the real question is how much the bonus multiplier would be if you kickflip nose manual nollie boneless into it...
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

TooManyPros

• Rep: 59
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2018, 03:58:30 PM »
Forrest Kirby Nose Grinds

https://youtu.be/WzIpIr4Uuss?t=78
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 04:04:18 PM by TooManyPros »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2018, 05:49:15 PM »
On the bunt they mention Bobby D making a vow to keep his nose grinds straight......

Dustwardprez

« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2018, 06:51:17 PM »
I have been banished to the woods of New England so if I sound salty it’s because I am. I’m frickin old too but I’m not from New York so I’m definitely not Republican. So I was hating my life at the local park (wish those didn’t exist too but like I said gentrification is a bitch) and I had this conversation today at the local park (grrr) let’s not call it a park let’s call it the only flat bar that’s not at my house ok ked. So

There’s no such thing as a front over crook. Been skating since 1784ish and that’s that. Same with Ollie Norte that’s another myth ask Frankie Hill what that trick is called.  Why you wanna do that kinda grind anyway idk. Do a nose grind on the rail right in the name of Ron Allen who is the GOAT.
If you can’t read this it’s because I’m 106 yrs old and all I do is skate and complain and go to yail with a j for the last 30yrs of my pathetic life.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2018, 08:41:57 PM »
You're 40 and no one cares.....

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2018, 08:56:51 PM »
Holy fuck there are actually people in this thread trying to say that overcrooks don't exist at all, this website is awful

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Dermbot

« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2018, 09:58:59 AM »
there was no such thing as overcrooks until Tony Hawk Pro Skater. It was made up bullshit just to make it translate for the non skater video gamer. the were just called nose grinds. frontside and backside. Straight or over the top. Its just a nosegrind. Frontside and backside.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2018, 10:13:14 AM »
I always thought Lindsey Robertson made a good case for front overcrook in Dying to Live.

But it’s still a nosegrind.

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2018, 10:37:17 AM »
there was no such thing as overcrooks until Tony Hawk Pro Skater. It was made up bullshit just to make it translate for the non skater video gamer. the were just called nose grinds. frontside and backside. Straight or over the top. Its just a nosegrind. Frontside and backside.
Okay buddy

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

FS-OverKOOK

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2018, 11:22:51 AM »
Then would this mean there is no such thing as a crooked grind? Its just a nose grind, right? Wrong, a crook is a combo of noseslide and a nosegrind. If you say there is such a thing as a crook then there is also a overcrook. just think of a double sided curb - if I'm reg and I approach frontside and ollie OVER to the other side and crook, thats just a nosegrind? But If I approach backside and do a crook then its a crook and not a nosegrind?

Dermbot

« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2018, 11:30:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Then would this mean there is no such thing as a crooked grind? Its just a nose grind, right? Wrong, a crook is a combo of noseslide and a nosegrind. If you say there is such a thing as a crook then there is also a overcrook. just think of a double sided curb - if I'm reg and I approach frontside and ollie OVER to the other side and crook, thats just a nosegrind? But If I approach backside and do a crook then its a crook and not a nosegrind?

reference the clipper ledge example earlier in the thread. A suski isnt an oversalad....

Dermbot

« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2018, 11:35:34 AM »
think of 180 nosegrinds. frontside or backside. it doesnt matter if you pinch it or get on top, you call it a 180 nosegrind. you would NEVER call it 180 overcrook. even if you did it like Matt Bennett and pinched it to the max, you would still call it a nosegrind.

Dermbot

« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2018, 11:43:23 AM »

HangtenNoseblunt

• Rep: -189
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2018, 11:51:00 AM »
if its crooked and pinched and i dont the problem in differentiating an overcrook from a balanced straight nosegrind. if i was to hear someone get pissed off about either in real life though i'd laugh and smack the shit outta them
Thank goodness we have HangtenNoseblunt in here as the voice of reason.

HangtenNoseblunt

• Rep: -189
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2018, 11:52:35 AM »
in a game of slides and grinds if i did a perfectly balanced nosegrind and someone did a sloppy frontside overcrook as a response i would feel cheated if they accepted it
Thank goodness we have HangtenNoseblunt in here as the voice of reason.

FS-OverKOOK

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2018, 12:04:46 PM »
http://a3.espncdn.com/photo/2014/0916/as_skate_karp5_2048.jpg
example. 180 NOSEGRIND.
thats on a ledge...not going over anything...If you're regs at Clipper and crook the outside edge(the part facing the bball courts) that just a nosegrind? When it's a clipper style hubba it changes everything. regs but 50 50 the outside - you say thats just an ol fs 50/50? regs and back tail the outside?

FS-OverKOOK

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2018, 12:09:46 PM »
in a game of slides and grinds if i did a perfectly balanced nosegrind and someone did a sloppy frontside overcrook as a response i would feel cheated if they accepted it
and you would be justified - two different tricks - related but different. same if you balance out a bs nosegrind and they crook.

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2018, 12:11:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

reference the clipper ledge example earlier in the thread. A suski isnt an oversalad....
nigga what

Dermbot

« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2018, 12:18:45 PM »
Expand Quote
thats on a ledge...not going over anything...If you're regs at Clipper and crook the outside edge(the part facing the bball courts) that just a nosegrind? When it's a clipper style hubba it changes everything. regs but 50 50 the outside - you say thats just an ol fs 50/50? regs and back tail the outside?

http://skateparkoftampa.com/spot/images/mmc09shanebs180ng.jpg
crooked as can be. still a nosegrind.

clipper ledge example would be Ollie Over to crook. Two different edges to grind. ollie over the first edge to other edge is "ollie over to..." whatever backside trick you get in. this as already been covered with photoshopped images and darrell stanton gif. all the while, its still just a nosegrind.

Dermbot

« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2018, 12:24:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
nigga what
Exactly

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2018, 12:41:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
nigga what
[close]
Exactly
But your logic literally doesn't make sense. Of course a Suski grind isn't a fucking "oversalad" because no part of the board is going OVER the rail. If anything, a front salad would be an oversuski. Not that I'm surprised you got that wrong because literally nothing else you're saying is making sense.

Dermbot

« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2018, 12:48:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
nigga what
[close]
Exactly
[close]
But your logic literally doesn't make sense. Of course a Suski grind isn't a fucking "oversalad" because no part of the board is going OVER the rail. If anything, a front salad would be an oversuski. Not that I'm surprised you got that wrong because literally nothing else you're saying is making sense.
you getting upset doesnt make you more right. Your source of your trick names is from a video game that called back smiths front feebles so... lemme guess, you didnt miss 1 episode of KOTR either. its all just nosegrinds still.

Get the strap

« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2018, 01:01:42 PM »
This thread is ridiculous. Overcrook was in captions in mags in the 1990's. Lots of variations of the crook had shit loads of names on the 90's.

Most skate parks in the 1990's did not have handrails. If you wanted to skate a handrail you had to find one in the streets. When lots of skate parks started popping up in the 2000's, they started adding in these little skate park handrails (this was discussed back in the day because it was controversial to some OGs).

The robot jock kids of the 2000's started ripping those little skate park rails, and the overcrook debate emerged because those skate park kids said, and I quote: "That's how you get into a nosegrind on a handrail, there's no other way to do it, therefore there is no overcrook, there all called a front side nosegrind."

That is literally the logic behind the debate, it sparked from robot skate park kids from the 2000's. Pretty stupid imo

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2018, 01:20:57 PM »
salad points towards the ledge like a blunt. suskie points away. so clearly there's no over-suski you jive turkey motherfuckers!

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2018, 01:37:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
nigga what
[close]
Exactly
[close]
[close]
you getting upset doesnt make you more right. Your source of your trick names is from a video game that called back smiths front feebles so... lemme guess, you didnt miss 1 episode of KOTR either. its all just nosegrinds still.
no, the fact that I'm right makes me right