Author Topic: Cory Kennedy enters guilty plea  (Read 34002 times)

sharkin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
Cory Kennedy enters guilty plea
« on: August 08, 2018, 07:35:16 AM »
After 6 continuances and 6 months, Cory Kennedy entered a guilty plea on Tuesday for 4 accounts - Vehicular Homicide, Vehicular Assault, Reckless Driving, and DUI.
I couldn't find a sentencing date, but perhaps that is not yet determined. Any SLAP lawyers got an idea on what he could face from this? First time offender, but it looks like Washington is particularly hard for DUI + Vehic Homicide.

Here are some relevant screenshots from the WA and King County Superior Court records website:

Still Tippin

• Rep: -33
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Cory Kennedy enters guilty plea
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 07:44:27 AM »
damn son

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 07:53:10 AM »
ohh boy, good luck Cory!

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 07:55:48 AM »
He's gone. 10 years at least
Gentleman ninja warlock

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 08:04:34 AM »
Short answer: without going to the clerk's office and pulling the file or ordering the transcript its impossible to know or even give an educated guess. a docket sheet is just not enough.

I tried to play swami at the beginning of this whole ordeal and deeply regret it. 

Here is the long-ish version of why its impossible to guess:
without knowing what the amended information is- or why it was filed there is really no grounding for any guesses.   the fact that its an information and not a superseding indictment would also normally be telling but in the West its a cowboy court. On top of that Washington state has some really nuanced sentencing guidelines that make the USSG look like simple algebra.  you don't know how much deference the DA is going to give the P-Stones family, or what P-Stone's family's stance is going to be.  You dont know what Cory was seeking, you dont know where the DA's office started.  The continuances would let me guess they were trying to find an agreed upon dispo but without seeing a tracking order or knowing their procedure-- even that guess seems weak.

more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

5inchDick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 08:04:42 AM »

DID YOU READ THE SAME THING I READ

BECAUSE I DONT HAVE ANY IDEA HOW YOU GOT TO THAT WILD ASS CONCLUSION ..

THATS LIKE TELLING ME TONY HAWKS JUST DID A SWITCH FLIP BACK NOSEBLUNT FAKIE NOLLIE FLIP OUT UP EL TORRO !

cloudy

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 08:18:43 AM »
Short answer: without going to the clerk's office and pulling the file or ordering the transcript its impossible to know or even give an educated guess. a docket sheet is just not enough.

I tried to play swami at the beginning of this whole ordeal and deeply regret it. 

without knowing what the amended information is- or why it was filed there is really no grounding for any guesses.   the fact that its an information and not a superseding indictment would also normally be telling but in the West its a cowboy court. On top of that Washington state has some really nuanced sentencing guidelines that make the USSG look like simple algebra.  you don't know how much deference the DA is going to give the P-Stones family, or what P-Stone's family's stance is going to be.  You dont know what Cory was seeking, you dont know where the DA's office started.  The continuances would let me guess they were trying to find an agreed upon dispo but without seeing a tracking order or knowing their procedure-- even that guess seems weak.

"For a class A felony, by confinement in a state correctional institution for a term of life imprisonment, or by a fine in an amount fixed by the court of fifty thousand dollars, or by both such confinement and fine" http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.20.021

"Vehicular homicide is a class A felony in Washington. Convicted motorists face up to life in prison and/or a maximum $50,000 in fines." https://www.drivinglaws.org/resources/washingtons-vehicular-homicide-laws-and-penalties.htm

i'm not understanding this disparity between the prison term and the fine. up to a term of life imprisonment?! ...or a maximum $50,000 fine. is this where those "nuanced sentencing guidelines" come in? the difference between those two benchmarks just seems wild to me. i guess that's why you're saying it's impossible to guess.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 08:26:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

DID YOU READ THE SAME THING I READ

BECAUSE I DONT HAVE ANY IDEA HOW YOU GOT TO THAT WILD ASS CONCLUSION ..

THATS LIKE TELLING ME TONY HAWKS JUST DID A SWITCH FLIP BACK NOSEBLUNT FAKIE NOLLIE FLIP OUT UP EL TORRO !

Vehicular homicide bro. Hes fucked. Our laws here are strict too and they won't hesitate to give him a harsh sentence.

The continuances are normal, usually just means the court is busy and or the lawyers/Da are negotiating

I stand by what I said. Hes gone at least 10 years and I wouldn't be shocked to hear 20+
Gentleman ninja warlock

ForMeIt’sCrazyLike

• Rep: 2
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 08:28:20 AM »
I know this is different than that thing where hulk Hogan’s kid crashed that car and turned his friend into a vegetable: different state, someone actually died in corey’s case, etc, but he only got a few months and then probation: plus he had a history of driving like a jackass.

I guess it being in Washington state is going to have the biggest impact on the sentence.  That’s my completely uneducated take.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 08:33:21 AM »
I have a feeling if he plead guilty prior to a hearing then his attorneys and the DA worked out a good plea agreement. I'm jus guessin he'll serve some time. Maybe a year? But be on supervised probation for 10 plus as well as a large fine. I doubt his attorney would let him plea guilty if the DA was goin to push for a long jail sentence.

Good luck Cory! Prayers to P-Stones family!
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 08:40:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

"For a class A felony, by confinement in a state correctional institution for a term of life imprisonment, or by a fine in an amount fixed by the court of fifty thousand dollars, or by both such confinement and fine" http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.20.021

"Vehicular homicide is a class A felony in Washington. Convicted motorists face up to life in prison and/or a maximum $50,000 in fines." https://www.drivinglaws.org/resources/washingtons-vehicular-homicide-laws-and-penalties.htm

i'm not understanding this disparity between the prison term and the fine. up to a term of life imprisonment?! ...or a maximum $50,000 fine. is this where those "nuanced sentencing guidelines" come in? the difference between those two benchmarks just seems wild to me. i guess that's why you're saying it's impossible to guess.

if you want to go down a rabbit hole start learning about sentencing disparity.  two people same offense same county can have wildly different outcomes.  one person same offenses different counties, even more wildly different outcomes.  that being said the only alternative is more mandatory minimums which is a whole other can of worms.   i recommend people interested in how the justice sausage is made start by reading as many Radley Balko articles as they can get their hands on. 

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 08:50:16 AM »
Every case is different for every person obviously. Cory isn't coming back for a while,and even by the chance case of him getting out of jail or prison early he's going to be fucked with probation/parole/fines. What it is. I highly doubt his skate career will resurface, while that sucks for some of you,get over it.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Far from relevant

• Rep: -100
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 08:59:07 AM »
I hope he ends up like Christian Hosoi after jail, minus the whole outspoken born again Christian thing...

ForMeIt’sCrazyLike

• Rep: 2
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 09:01:05 AM »
I hope he ends up like Christian Hosoi after jail, minus the whole outspoken born again Christian thing...

Wearing a fedora and laughing uncomfortably too long at his own jokes?

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 09:03:24 AM »
Kind of feels like that "Life in prison or $50,000" is a cop out for the rich. He definitely worked out a plea deal, he's going to have a semi-lenient sentence considering the circumstances.

With him being on probation for a long period of time that's going to put a major halt on his skating. No wiggle room for trespassing and potentially getting arrested and breaking that probation. I'd say this is a nail in the coffin for his career

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 09:03:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

if you want to go down a rabbit hole start learning about sentencing disparity.  two people same offense same county can have wildly different outcomes.  one person same offenses different counties, even more wildly different outcomes.  that being said the only alternative is more mandatory minimums which is a whole other can of worms.   i recommend people interested in how the justice sausage is made start by reading as many Radley Balko articles as they can get their hands on. 

School me please,I have no clue how this works. if Cory is pleading guilty, is there a chance that he's come to an arrangement with the prosecution?

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 09:09:14 AM »
There's not a 'chance' he came to an agreement, it's guaranteed that that's what transpired.
My guess is he doesn't serve any time, he makes major payments to P-stone's wife forever like Sean Penn's character in Mystic River.

Shuh

• Rep: 3
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2018, 09:17:56 AM »
Kind of feels like that "Life in prison or $50,000" is a cop out for the rich. He definitely worked out a plea deal, he's going to have a semi-lenient sentence considering the circumstances.

With him being on probation for a long period of time that's going to put a major halt on his skating. No wiggle room for trespassing and potentially getting arrested and breaking that probation. I'd say this is a nail in the coffin for his career

Maybe he can start do more tranny stuff?

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2018, 09:33:27 AM »

School me please,I have no clue how this works. if Cory is pleading guilty, is there a chance that he's come to an arrangement with the prosecution?

okay this is the most surface level explanation

most of the time to end up in bigboy court you need  a grand jury indictment... however there is  weird legal thing called "an information" which thankfully someone on wikiedia explained better than i can...

Because the Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution expressly creates a constitutional right to be indicted by a grand jury, the information is used in federal criminal procedure only when a defendant voluntarily pleads guilty (often as part of a plea bargain) and waives the right to an indictment.[10]

However, the Fifth Amendment right to a grand jury indictment does not apply against the state governments because the grand jury provision has not been incorporated against the states by the Fourteenth Amendment. Thus, the information has always been the dominant charging document in the western U.S. states, where extremely dispersed population distribution during the American frontier era made it difficult to select and convene petit juries to hold trials. In that era, convening even larger grand juries just to indict criminals was seen as an unnecessary extravagance.

In western U.S. states, district attorneys are authorized by statute to charge criminal suspects by filing informations. The defendant is then entitled to challenge the information at a preliminary hearing, during which the prosecution must establish to the judge's satisfaction that probable cause exists to bind over the defendant until trial.

The grand jury is still available in the states where informations are used, but it is usually used only for issuing indictments for certain types of crimes or for certain types of anti-corruption investigations.

so you have that and here we have have someone pleading directly to an amended information.  that means the charges were amended without contest.  sometime they amend up but here i would wager they amended down to something both sides were comfortable with... which is why he plead to them at that same hearing

which leads to another crossroads

they might have amended the charges on a just a condition to plea.  they might have desperate sentences (unagreed) to argue.  BUT they might have an agreed upon dispo and sentences in mind (which could include different types of dispositions beyond guilty) in mind.

now it goes even deeper.  a "conviction" has two parts
1.  a finding of fact
2. a restraint on liberty

there are dozens of weird ways you can have one without the other. its a way that mandatory minimums are often avoided and long term repercussions (such as immigration issues) get kicked to the side. so he he might give an Alford Plea, he might assent to a general continuance (essentially indefinite waiver of your speedy trial right).  Like i said before, its really impossible to guess on this one.

poorlatino

• Rep: 41
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2018, 11:12:36 AM »
10 years is the most he will get, in that case he'll do 7-8 years. He has money, an alcohol problem, and no criminal past.  I'm gonna say 6 years. Maybe 4.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 11:44:03 AM by poorlatino »

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2018, 11:27:01 AM »
Hey, now that two lives have been ruined, any way the skate industry wants to chill on romanticizing p-stone’s relationship with alcohol?
I guess I don’t know his perspective, but if I die in a drunk driving accident, I’d feel like people were spitting on my grave if they did shit like name a microbrew after me or making people drink beers “in my honor” a la king of the road. Shit is so tasteless and lacking in awareness.
“One of our friends died and the other is going to jail because of a drunk driving accident...how do we respect our fallen friend? BOOZE!” Its gross. A real way to honor him would be to take the dangers associated with alcohol more seriously and to start taking cabs/lyfts when you drink
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

ChiefSQueff

• Rep: -263
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2018, 12:21:15 PM »
What the hell happened? Cory Kennedy you fucking suck. I hope he spends the rest of his spoiled life in jail

Hypnotoad

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2018, 12:22:30 PM »
A woman I knew killed a dude while driving drunk.
It was her first DUI and she was charged with a third degree felony.  She’s currently serving the maximum sentence, which is 5 years.  This was in Utah.  Just read a bit about Washington’s vehicular homicide laws.  I’m not a lawyer, but they sound a lot more aggressive.

Don’t drive drunk, and always wear your seatbelts, kids.

Far from relevant

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2018, 12:23:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I mean't more so with the success and happiness. Then again Hosoi went to jail for meth, not killing a man.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2018, 12:26:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I mean't more so with the success and happiness. Then again Hosoi went to jail for meth, not killing a man.

Anand how many people died from using that meth?
Gentleman ninja warlock

shit_for_brains

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2018, 12:39:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Probably none.

Far from relevant

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2018, 12:43:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Alot of people have. Thats not quite was I was getting at I was saying CK is going to jail for a much more serious offence than Hosoi did.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2018, 12:47:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Probably none.
Considering that they confiscated it as evidence, I think that’s a good guess.
Of course, there’s much more malice in attempting to traffic meth than there is in giving a guy a ride when you drank too much
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2018, 12:49:14 PM »
Hey, now that two lives have been ruined, any way the skate industry wants to chill on romanticizing p-stone’s relationship with alcohol?
I guess I don’t know his perspective, but if I die in a drunk driving accident, I’d feel like people were spitting on my grave if they did shit like name a microbrew after me or making people drink beers “in my honor” a la king of the road. Shit is so tasteless and lacking in awareness.
“One of our friends died and the other is going to jail because of a drunk driving accident...how do we respect our fallen friend? BOOZE!” Its gross. A real way to honor him would be to take the dangers associated with alcohol more seriously and to start taking cabs/lyfts when you drink

You've got a vendetta against the truth.   Dude drank.  He was drunk when he died.  Also people like to drink - I could say that your using his death as a platform for your guilt trips but I'm not that kind of guy.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 01:14:19 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2018, 01:12:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Probably none.
[close]
Considering that they confiscated it as evidence, I think that’s a good guess.
Of course, there’s much more malice in attempting to traffic meth than there is in giving a guy a ride when you drank too much

Before confiscation.  your not an idiot, please dont act like one.

Gentleman ninja warlock