Author Topic: Going down board sizes?  (Read 27183 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1108
Re: Going down board sizes?
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2019, 07:53:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Figured I would keep this thread going instead of creating another. I've been reconsidering everything about my setup lately - I've been skating 8.5 to 9" the past years or so, and being a smaller dude (5"5 size 8 ) I've really started to notice how much it has been hindering me. I skate mostly transition, and I'm looking to maybe step from my current 8.25 to an 8 to help with flipping and just pop in general. Has anyone had any experience drastically moving down board sizes when it comes to skating transition? Saying that, the whole point of the size down is skate a little more well-rounded
[close]

Have you considered going with a short wheelbase board instead? I came back to skating this past year coming from the days when 7.75 were standard. I am 5'7 with tiny size 7.5 feet and always rode a 7.62. I now ride an 8 and want to move up to 8.25 as soon as i can afford wider trucks. I've actually found that wider boards are easier to flip and pop because of the increased stability. For flip tricks I really think width makes no discernable difference in how easy it is to get flipping if you adjust your foot positioning closer to the flipping edge. Alot of people are figuring this out nowadays but wheelbase and length are much more important than width when it comes to pop and trick dexterity. The only solid drawback to wider boards is the increased weight, which for a scrawny unexplosive guy like me can make getting up there on my tricks tiring and hard, but this can be offset by using lighter trucks and going with a shorter length.

Strikingly similar to me (my feet were sized 9 for most of my until now adult life, but the arches fell and feet spread out to 10-10.5). Interested to see what you settle with. I’ve been really enjoying skating around on 56 mm conical fulls, roll over everything. Pushing they the city is dope. The extra pop is much needed. The weight is kicking my ass, but I’m trying to power thru and just get stronger. Hasn’t happened

texasplant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 84
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2019, 08:31:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Figured I would keep this thread going instead of creating another. I've been reconsidering everything about my setup lately - I've been skating 8.5 to 9" the past years or so, and being a smaller dude (5"5 size 8 ) I've really started to notice how much it has been hindering me. I skate mostly transition, and I'm looking to maybe step from my current 8.25 to an 8 to help with flipping and just pop in general. Has anyone had any experience drastically moving down board sizes when it comes to skating transition? Saying that, the whole point of the size down is skate a little more well-rounded
[close]

Have you considered going with a short wheelbase board instead? I came back to skating this past year coming from the days when 7.75 were standard. I am 5'7 with tiny size 7.5 feet and always rode a 7.62. I now ride an 8 and want to move up to 8.25 as soon as i can afford wider trucks. I've actually found that wider boards are easier to flip and pop because of the increased stability. For flip tricks I really think width makes no discernable difference in how easy it is to get flipping if you adjust your foot positioning closer to the flipping edge. Alot of people are figuring this out nowadays but wheelbase and length are much more important than width when it comes to pop and trick dexterity. The only solid drawback to wider boards is the increased weight, which for a scrawny unexplosive guy like me can make getting up there on my tricks tiring and hard, but this can be offset by using lighter trucks and going with a shorter length.
[close]

Strikingly similar to me (my feet were sized 9 for most of my until now adult life, but the arches fell and feet spread out to 10-10.5). Interested to see what you settle with. I’ve been really enjoying skating around on 56 mm conical fulls, roll over everything. Pushing they the city is dope. The extra pop is much needed. The weight is kicking my ass, but I’m trying to power thru and just get stronger. Hasn’t happened

Previous setup was 8.5 with 56mm conical fulls (which is actually still together, just replaced the Ace 44's with my Indy 149's). Always loved the same feeling, rolling over anything and going fast as fuck. But I've had this itch I've wanted to scratch for too long to ignore it. Now I'm skating 8 with 53 classics. From a session at the local ramp it felt great. If it hasn't affected me skating transition too much, I can definitely see this benefiting me in general. Smallest board I've had since my first setup 10 years ago, smallest wheels too. Completely different feeling and I'm excited for the change!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 10:19:56 AM by texasplant »

SirPizzaSlayer

• Rep: -72
  • Pizza Griptape
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2019, 09:48:21 AM »
It was a weird transition to me as I’ve skated 10’ boards and I’ve skated 7.75’. Right now I’m on a 8.25 but I’m gonna jump back up to the big boy club.

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2019, 10:26:18 AM »
Have you considered going with a short wheelbase board instead?

This is definitively one of the most important thing. I was always riding boards of any size but with 14.375/14.5 wheelbase, and I was always struggling to Ollie higher. I finally decided to reduce the wheelbase to 14.125, and it was a game changer. It's now so comfortable to Ollie over things like ledges, that's crazy. I don't have a theory behind this, I guess it's just that this dimension fits to my body and is far more important than the width. However it's true that for transition or bowl, it's less forgiving because the board reacts quicker.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2019, 11:20:43 AM »
I used to have fun on a 7.75 ha.   Go wide tho.  Wide with small wheels.  If you've got bigger wheels go skinnier.  Thats my m o.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

ballintoohard

« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2019, 06:40:38 PM »
I used to skate 7.5-7.62 for a long time, took a break from skating and then came back and boards were big again. Had some 8.06-8.125 on 139s last year and also had a setup with 149s and 8.5. I ditched the small setup and never could get comfortable on an 8.38 or 8.5 unless I also ran Ace's and 52's.  Then I went down to 8.25 and was convinced it was wheelbase and now have a pretty short 8.28 with a 14.125, but it's 31.625 long and it feels mega unstable even with Thunders.

Went to the local and didn't measure a board and got an 8.06 Krooked with a 14.4 wheelbase and Venture 5.6. I'd prefer to not see my axle nuts as much, but it actually manuals and skates better than the shorter wheelbase 8.28 even tho it's not that much longer.

TL;DR also add in nose/tail size. I have found that shorter boards with massive kicks suck for me and that matters more than wheelbase or width.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2019, 07:37:02 PM »
IMO changing Wheelbase (including switching brands of trucks on the same board) is way harder than changing board widths, even when the change in width is way more drastic.

this!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2019, 09:03:59 AM »
I haven't read every post but I will agree with the running comment that the height to WB correlation is probably more important than the height to width correlation. Another thing to keep in mind is that no matter what your board's WB is, the trucks you ride will also effect the actual axle to axle wheelbase. I feel like a lot of people who like shorter WB boards have trucks that create a bigger wheelbase and folks who like longer WB boards have trucks have a shorter axle to axle WB.

I rock 8"/ 14.25" WB/ Indy's/ 52mm Spitfires.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

dakara

• Rep: 4
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2019, 02:22:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ya I usually rode 51mm back in the day, and since i am broke was riding some worn to 45mm cored rictas till 2 weeks ago. i wanted to get 54mm 99d conical formula fours but my shop was out of them(i live way outside the US so it happens) but got a set of 54mm 99d tablet formula fours instead. The difference was amazing but suprisingly im having kind of a tough go sliding them compared to my old wheels, probably because i am so light. For riding through the city though, ive never had as much fun as wider board with bigger wheels, its my first time on forumla fours and after i start pushing it feels like im on a constant slight slope.  The larger size also helped my pop considerably, especially since the only available blanks around here have really mellow kicks, which i like the feel of generally but i never get much umph when i kick down.

texasplant

« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2019, 05:36:44 PM »
Madness struck me again, I went back to the standard Quasi 8.5 that I normally skate. Finally realised if something ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Feels like the past few months was a lot of money spent for nothing, but at least I know now.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2019, 10:05:33 PM »
Madness struck me again, I went back to the standard Quasi 8.5 that I normally skate. Finally realised if something ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Feels like the past few months was a lot of money spent for nothing, but at least I know now.
Words can't express how much I agree with you, I also spent a bunch of money to gain that knowledge.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2019, 10:28:15 PM »
The older I get the bigger I go...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2019, 01:00:26 AM »
I’m on my first 8.5” now, age 36, I’m quite sure it’ll be 9” when I’m 40 😁 it just feels good to have more board under your feet, and older I get the less I give a fuck about fliptricks and switch stuff.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

ballintoohard

« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2019, 09:00:40 AM »
Something about this 8.06 isn't jiving with me. Might be the Ventures. Switching it to Thunders and if that don't work it is back to my 8.25 with Indy's or 8.25 Quasi with Ace's.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1108
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2019, 09:06:34 AM »
Something about this 8.06 isn't jiving with me. Might be the Ventures. Switching it to Thunders and if that don't work it is back to my 8.25 with Indy's or 8.25 Quasi with Ace's.

I’m there. I’m trying to find the voodoo (wb ratios and astrological signs) but.....just when I’m sure it one thing it’s not. Nothing feels right, for me, for everything.

Coco Santiagos Kitten

« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2019, 09:52:42 AM »
I recently went down from an 8.5 to an 8.125 and it changed my life. Everything flips perfectly now. Probably because I learned everything on a 7.75.

texasplant

« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2019, 06:34:07 PM »
I recently went down from an 8.5 to an 8.125 and it changed my life. Everything flips perfectly now. Probably because I learned everything on a 7.75.

I’m still going to keep the 8” I bought to have as a spare setup, would you recommend going Indy 139 or 144?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2019, 02:42:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I would go for 144
I’m still going to keep the 8” I bought to have as a spare setup, would you recommend going Indy 139 or 144?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

texasplant

« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2019, 03:09:41 AM »
Madness is back again. For some reason I just want to skate a smaller board. I might just force myself and take my other quivers out of my car so I don’t have a choice but to get used to it. Been watching too much Westgate footy for my own good.

I did pick up some Hollow 144’s, just in case I move to an 8.1 or something. That might be a better middle ground.

Even tempted to scoop an 8.125 today but not sure if it will really make that much of a difference.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 07:48:40 PM by texasplant »

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2019, 03:29:20 AM »
^ also about to jump down a board size from 8.6 to 8.4 - was debating an 8.75 but there's an 8.4 Heroin on sale at my local and the price saved is a good compromise for the size. Tend to skate around 8.5 but one thing I've noticed is that in the winter when the weather sucks and it's carpark flatground season I'll slowly start dropping board sizes went from 8.6 > 8.5 > 8.38 from November to around April and then when the weather gets better I start going back up. Kinda strange in all rationality as I'm doing the same flatground tricks in both seasons but when all you can skate for months is shit dingy dungeon carparks the board size madness creeps in.

Torre

• Rep: -30
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2019, 04:57:21 PM »
I’ve always ridden bigger boards (8.8-9.25, with an 8.5 thrown in). I see a lot of people calling bigger boards a trend and just wanted to see what the general consensus was on sizing down. It would definitely open up opportunities to skate more brands and find boards more easily.

Note: I’m sort of a special case as I’m 6’5” and have size 12-13 feet depending on the shoe.
The smallest board I could ever see myself riding would be an 8.5 but I’m open to adapting possibly.
I’m 6’ 2” with a 13 shoe and I’ve recently gone down from 8.5 to 8.38 and now I’m about to skate an 8.25. I’ve been getting more tech with my skating and a smaller narrower board is more conducive to that. Also back in the day I used to skate a 7.75 with a 13 shoe. So you can really skate any size depending on your skate needs

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2019, 06:08:58 AM »
I started skating again about 1.5 years ago and have been skating 8.5s the whole time (going up to 9” at one point). I just set up an 8.25” with some Ventures and god damn is it fun. Something about it just feels right, like the good old days. I’m glad I started back on the wider boards in order to get comfortable again, but I could definitely see myself skating more 8.25s. I’m more in control of my body and more confident in my 30s than I was in my teens, so I could see myself going even smaller.

I’m 6’5” with 11.5 feet so to all the other tall/big footed people, don’t be scared of those smaller boards!

edit: 8.5 has a 14.5 WB with Aces and 8.25 has a 14.25 WB with Ventures so axle to axles WB is very similar on both set ups.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 06:25:47 AM by chris. »

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2019, 07:08:41 AM »
I’m the opposite.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2019, 09:08:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I’m the opposite.

Felt like sizing up as i was getting older until i was around 35. From 8.3 max width i am now happy with sour's 8.18 with 149 thunders. Turning 40 in April and next set of trucks i get will be 148's so i can ride a 8.125. I know the difference is tiny but im taking baby steps.
Never looked into the wheelbase. If the board is between 31.5 to 32 and the kicks seem symmetrical enough, then its good for me. I can't stand boards with short skinny tail and long square nose. Its best when i struggle to tell nose from tail.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Eds_gallerist

« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2019, 11:22:58 PM »
I found my sweet spot now by sizing down board lenght. I am riding that dlx shape 8.12 x 31.3 and it really is making a difference. Wb is only 14 too, I use thunders to increase it a bit. I am good now  8)

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1957
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2019, 05:34:38 AM »
I've always varied between 8.25 and 8.5. For most of this year I've been on 8.25 cuz I was trying to get some flip tricks back which is funny because now I'm pretty sure that means I have the smallest board of my crew. I feel like it might suit me to pick a shape/size and stick with it but I tend to get a bit of wanderlust.

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2019, 05:31:28 PM »
i might be alone here but i find

small wheels = fast flip
big wheels = slower flip

low trucks and 50mm wheels on a 8.25 flips like an 8 with normal trucks and 53mm

56mm wheels and high trucks everything flips super slow for me but in a nice floaty way

56mm and tall trucks all day!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2019, 05:36:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
I’m the opposite.
[close]

Felt like sizing up as i was getting older until i was around 35. From 8.3 max width i am now happy with sour's 8.18 with 149 thunders. Turning 40 in April and next set of trucks i get will be 148's so i can ride a 8.125. I know the difference is tiny but im taking baby steps.
Never looked into the wheelbase. If the board is between 31.5 to 32 and the kicks seem symmetrical enough, then its good for me. I can't stand boards with short skinny tail and long square nose. Its best when i struggle to tell nose from tail.

8.125 on 148's feels like you're skating an 8 but you still get lots of truck.  its a sick lay up...

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2019, 06:24:24 PM »
This damn thread make some want to have a 8.25 setup...
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

ohnowisee

• Rep: -2
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2019, 06:58:46 PM »
This thread makes me feel less crazy for sizing up and deciding I'm sticking to 8.25 from 7.75 to now I want to size back down to an 8.0 or 8.125 every so often.  I ride my 7.75 that I gave to my son and it's fun to skate on every now and again.  Now that I'm older I feel like I care less for having that consistency. I have different trucks and wheels on 3 different boards. They're all fun to ride
Ilford is way more core than Kodak - natenola forever