Author Topic: Awkward (but not bad) Pro Encounters  (Read 111018 times)

SpankerChief

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
  • Rob_Skate_Lurker_
Re: Awkward (but not bad) Pro Encounters
« Reply #330 on: July 02, 2019, 07:41:21 PM »
“I was left alone with TNT I looked around like where’s everyone go?! He cool guyed me with head nod go that way away from me like yeah you should probably go find them.”
- When he gave me the “head nod”,
[shudders, shakily lights cigarette]
I still wake up screaming sometimes.
TBH I was kinda upset he was such a dick and I am willing to admit that. I guess my expectations were too high.
[ url ]http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2011/09/mind_blown.gif[ / url ]

Schneaumunn

• Rep: 19
  • Stop needlin’ me you prick!
« Reply #331 on: July 02, 2019, 08:11:44 PM »
Expand Quote
“I was left alone with TNT I looked around like where’s everyone go?! He cool guyed me with head nod go that way away from me like yeah you should probably go find them.”
- When he gave me the “head nod”,
[shudders, shakily lights cigarette]
I still wake up screaming sometimes.
[close]
TBH I was kinda upset he was such a dick and I am willing to admit that. I guess my expectations were too high.
His cleft chin is more noticeable in person.
He is a wee fellow as well.
The look and feel of hand tooled leather

LiterallyRyan

• Rep: -19
« Reply #332 on: July 02, 2019, 08:24:55 PM »
Duane Peters rolling around shaving peoples heads with a portable clipper at Paradise Valley skatepark. My friend tried to do it to him and he flipped his shit.

Seeing Heddings and Chris Cuddlipp nodding out hard when they came down to AZ to skate with Randy Colvin and Punker Matt.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #333 on: July 02, 2019, 11:54:38 PM »
After a contest in 2013 I was eating at a Mexican restaurant with like 10 other skaters. Chris Roberts was dominating the conversation, complaining about how kids don't want to ask him about "anything real." He said something like, "Don't ask me about some kickflip I did; talk to me about something real."

Ironic that he's kinda just talking to pros about kickflips on his podcast now.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #334 on: July 03, 2019, 04:46:59 AM »
If I recall correctly this was on 2011. It was a norns Thursday super hot in Santiago, Chile. Like 14hrs and 36°C and I was at the most classic spot the the city has.
Thing is that of course nobody was skating because of heat but I was with a friend. We were coming to the spot as suddenly I saw a douche on a wool beanie on that burning hot day. "what a dick, plus he believes to be Tom Penny with that slightly longer white T-shirt under that red one. And c'mon, who da fuck skates baggy pants now? Sweet mother of God, that's Penny"
Went to say hi and he was super cool and nice, still have the photo from that day.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -195
« Reply #335 on: July 03, 2019, 05:10:19 AM »
After a contest in 2013 I was eating at a Mexican restaurant with like 10 other skaters. Chris Roberts was dominating the conversation, complaining about how kids don't want to ask him about "anything real." He said something like, "Don't ask me about some kickflip I did; talk to me about something real."

Chris Roberts has done 150+ Nine Club episodes and I still don't know anything about him as a person.
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

SpankerChief

• Rob_Skate_Lurker_
« Reply #336 on: July 03, 2019, 06:19:36 AM »
I was in London mid 00’s Flip and company was going through the Shane across debacle, Arto was off on AW, I was kinda around the area just skating around southbank and meeting up with some punk friends and we’re going to get day drunk.

As I am meeting up with some friends I see this behemoth what I think is a bum, he’s either nodding off or is drunk as shit by the piss stain on his pants as I go to check him out like is this dude okay?  before I get close he skates and busts this insane hardflip, and it’s Tom Penny!!! Smirks and cruises off. It was humbling seeing a favorite of mine being vulnerable in that situation and look cool when being pressed.

SpankerChief

• Rob_Skate_Lurker_
« Reply #337 on: July 03, 2019, 06:26:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Chris Roberts has done 150+ Nine Club episodes and I still don't know anything about him as a person.
Seems to me that Chris Roberts wants to be the first Ted Brokaw of interviewers and complains of others not having any depth.

When in reality not many people currently  who are in the skate game that in depth, albeit worried of sponsors and what not  maybe those that are retired or have long since hung up that banner and moved forward with life.

Some of the best people in skateboarding industry that have a great attitude and firm depth are those that don’t wanna have that hype.

If they did a 9 club with Frankie Hill or Randy Colvin or Danny Gonzales maybe Ryan Fabry someone who is on the outs with the industry you’d get some in-depth perspectives.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 06:28:28 AM by SpankerChief »

Crack Whore

• Rep: -16
  • no double on the midnight menu
« Reply #338 on: July 03, 2019, 07:14:49 AM »
Quote from: Cool Ceith o gelink=topic=100908.msg3057882#msg3057882 date=1562136878

i tried to get a board from him once and he was like nahhh in 06 at a girl/chocolate demo in ohio. looking back it was kinda dumb cause im sure pros get that every day but i was 16
All you shiteating faggots saying i cant ollie need to shut the fuck up. Of course i can ollie, im just critiquing the brail skateboarding video where the guy says to pop straight up.

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #339 on: July 03, 2019, 07:16:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Seems to me that Chris Roberts wants to be the first Ted Brokaw of interviewers and complains of others not having any depth.

When in reality not many people currently  who are in the skate game that in depth, albeit worried of sponsors and what not  maybe those that are retired or have long since hung up that banner and moved forward with life.

Some of the best people in skateboarding industry that have a great attitude and firm depth are those that don’t wanna have that hype.

If they did a 9 club with Frankie Hill or Randy Colvin or Danny Gonzales maybe Ryan Fabry someone who is on the outs with the industry you’d get some in-depth perspectives.

The not wanting to risk or offend any sponsors etc I'm interviews makes for boring listening at times but ex pros would he a good shout- see Mike Hastie's Bunt.
Danny Gonz would be a good'un for sure.
Also, listen to Billy Marks and Gravettes episodes of you wanna hear some honest thoughts and experiences in the industry.
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

nooky

• Rep: 9
« Reply #340 on: July 03, 2019, 07:24:51 AM »
skated the culver city pool with shaun white of all people last week. didn't realize it was him for a second. his friend was filming him bail on a back smith. he said 'hey' to me. i felt awkward so I left. don't know if he counts as a skate pro though.
I started getting a lot better when I went back to college and started taking a lot of math classes when I was 31.

I figured out how to figure things out better, if that makes sense.

slobplant

• Rep: -12
« Reply #341 on: July 03, 2019, 08:08:37 AM »
skated the culver city pool with shaun white of all people last week. didn't realize it was him for a second. his friend was filming him bail on a back smith. he said 'hey' to me. i felt awkward so I left. don't know if he counts as a skate pro though.
This made me giggle at work, I can picture the "hey" and you just walking back to the car

SpankerChief

• Rob_Skate_Lurker_
« Reply #342 on: July 03, 2019, 08:17:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

The not wanting to risk or offend any sponsors etc I'm interviews makes for boring listening at times but ex pros would he a good shout- see Mike Hastie's Bunt.
Danny Gonz would be a good'un for sure.
Also, listen to Billy Marks and Gravettes episodes of you wanna hear some honest thoughts and experiences in the industry.
Gravette was definitely a highlight for sure, him and Bill for sure were great relative skaters that I’d like to think I could get along with in a random conversations.

LiterallyRyan

• Rep: -19
« Reply #343 on: July 03, 2019, 10:56:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

A Randy Colvin episode would be great. He's been out of prison for a few years now. And his grom was a ripper at like the age of 6.

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #344 on: July 03, 2019, 05:40:19 PM »
I fanned out hard when I met Karl Watson at a LRG demo in Japan.
It must of been awkward for him... he was really cool though.

P.s. Karl come back to Japan one of these days

friedwurmz

« Reply #345 on: July 04, 2019, 09:28:30 AM »
NY Skater here... I’ve got a few, ranked from least to most awkward as fuck.

1. Sean Pablo and Strobeck:

met them at BK Banks after people started skating them again, summer 2017. They happened to be walking down the street and entered thru the hole in the fence behind me. I said whats up to Strobeck and he death glared, Sean was chill and i said somebody should kickflip the banks set, and he was like “nah i dont have that”, then a day later i saw him kickflip it on IG, weird troll?

2. Tyshawn:

met him at LES and shook his hand, saying “whats up man”, to which he interpretted as “watch your back” and he kindve freaked out a little and got pissed? im a 5’7 skinny white dude, not sure why lol but he was cool after I reiterated whats up.

3. Brian Anderson:

Snaked him accidently at LES skating a rail near the apple and he came up to the quarter I was on, mall grabs and strikes some macho pose. I nervously laugh and he tells me to chill out. Left the park shortly after feeling like a poser and told my friends, who laughed at me.

thats all so far, thankfully I dont speak to any pros I see now. I met Black Dave last month and he was cool, gave me props on a noseblunt : )
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 09:31:26 AM by friedwurmz »

cloutzman

• Rep: -1
« Reply #346 on: July 04, 2019, 10:00:13 AM »
I caught ben raemers coming out of a shop in london as i was walking in, i looked dumbfounded and looked at an employee and said "was that just..." The employee cut me off, and was like "oh yeah thats ben, he's super chill! Hold on." dude goes outside and yells "BEN! THESE GUYS WANT TO TALK TO YOU" Ben walked in and being put on the spot i awkwardly talked to him for a bit and made a joke about focusing my shirt. He was way more stoked to talk to fans than expected.

In paris we were at day off skate shop for a video premier, when i turned and my friend was talking to a guy he clearly didn't recognize, and I interrupted with "sorry, but are you jaako?" I fanned out for a little bit and showed him a clip of me dying at besos and we had a laugh, phil zjiwissen and nassim came in, we all talked for a bit and they ended up inviting us to the element premier  the next day for the peace video which is its own crazy story

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #347 on: July 04, 2019, 10:24:37 AM »
Everyone in SF probably has an awesome Karl Watson story. At Pier 7 back in the '90s, he came up to me because I was wearing a Gonz shirt and he was like, "Do you draw?" We talked about drawing, of all things, for a few minutes while the regular Pier 7 peeps zipped by. I had just moved there and it was almost he was laying out the welcome mat. Will never forget that.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2277
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #348 on: July 04, 2019, 11:15:56 AM »
Erica Yary stared at me once

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Ms. Tamzarian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
  • I like dork tricks :/
« Reply #349 on: July 04, 2019, 11:19:20 AM »

her ass is pro for shwing skateboards

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2277
« Reply #350 on: July 04, 2019, 11:22:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

her ass is pro for shwing skateboards
Of enjoi

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

homegrown83

• Rep: -83
« Reply #351 on: July 04, 2019, 11:32:24 AM »
David Gonzalez:

The Volcom team to 3rd lair for a demo a long time ago. I was talking to my friend Chad about how small David was when I last saw him at 3rd for a Flip demo a few years ago. David overheard me and comes up to me and says "yes, I remember when I used to be that small long ago."

Chris Cole:

The Zero team was doing a demo at the Denver skatepark. I went up to Cole with a few other kids to ask for an autograph. He says to me, "I didn't bring a pen or sharpie with me because I thought it would look cocky to do so." I ended up finding one and he signed my board later.

Tom Penny:

Not really that awkward. Penny was at that same Flip demo with David at 3rd Lair awhile ago. My friend who couldn't go to the demo really wanted me to get Penny's autograph for him. After the demo was over, I went over to Penny to get an autograph. Apparently he was trying really hard to find some weed and was reluctant to start signing autographs. Luckily he gave me his autograph and found some weed.

Backsmithbacktail

• Rep: -2
« Reply #352 on: July 04, 2019, 10:20:20 PM »
i met david gonzalez when i was twelve at the austin death match the year he won soty. i walked up to him and tried to introduce myself but we spoke at the same time then we both fell silent. very awkward and i just walked away. i voted for figgy anyway.

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #353 on: July 05, 2019, 10:02:56 AM »
NY Skater here... I’ve got a few, ranked from least to most awkward as fuck.

1. Sean Pablo and Strobeck:

met them at BK Banks after people started skating them again, summer 2017. They happened to be walking down the street and entered thru the hole in the fence behind me. I said whats up to Strobeck and he death glared, Sean was chill and i said somebody should kickflip the banks set, and he was like “nah i dont have that”, then a day later i saw him kickflip it on IG, weird troll?

2. Tyshawn:

met him at LES and shook his hand, saying “whats up man”, to which he interpretted as “watch your back” and he kindve freaked out a little and got pissed? im a 5’7 skinny white dude, not sure why lol but he was cool after I reiterated whats up.

3. Brian Anderson:

Snaked him accidently at LES skating a rail near the apple and he came up to the quarter I was on, mall grabs and strikes some macho pose. I nervously laugh and he tells me to chill out. Left the park shortly after feeling like a poser and told my friends, who laughed at me.

thats all so far, thankfully I dont speak to any pros I see now. I met Black Dave last month and he was cool, gave me props on a noseblunt : )
yeah it seems like LES park under that bridge is a vibing kook mecca, if you aren't the hottest since sliced bread you are going to get vibed for sure.

As far as the others I wouldn't take it too person as it is their problem NOT yours to fix their own short comings.

one thing I find extremely irritating at parks is vibing, I can deal with snaking from others but cool guy fuckery is too much take that shit back to the prefab park kook!

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #354 on: July 05, 2019, 10:52:25 AM »
I gave Tony Montgomery a beer out of my backpack before.

Edit: It wasn't awkward at all, it was pretty normal he asked if he could have one and I said sure and gave him one. He's a nice guy.

butterballs for jerry

• Rep: -56
« Reply #355 on: July 05, 2019, 12:01:26 PM »
Was skating an indoor part in Mass, Shetler was there, he skated up said what up? I was like "yo what up! Was that a switch back smith you tried on that ledge??" And he was all "naw, switch back lip" to which I replied "ah cool, cool" but the convo died. I wanted to see a switch back smith, but years later I now realize a switch back lip is just as cool. He didn't land either one.
I was standing staring at the world, and I still can't see it

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #356 on: July 05, 2019, 12:27:58 PM »
I saw that shredmaster keith dude skating around a cpl weeks ago. He was dressed all weird and pushing behind his board which looked awkward

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1383
« Reply #357 on: July 05, 2019, 10:08:39 PM »
I met the Fourstar team about 11 years ago at a signing. I asked everyone to sign my VHS copy of Mouse. BA was psyched on the VHS and asked if I wanted Malto to sign it. Malto glanced at me with an unsure, almost sheepish look on his face and I let out a hesitant "...sure!" He signed it really small. There was basically 100% "whatever" and 0% excitement in my tone of voice. I felt bad afterward that I didn't show him more love, but I saw he did a switch crooked grind on a popular rail downtown so maybe my passivity gave him more fuel to prove himself (joking).

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #358 on: July 06, 2019, 02:40:23 AM »
CPH Pro 2013, we met Braydon at Christiania on the frst night and he seemed to like us so we hooked up to party most nights My buddy Stu somehow hadnt met him after 4 days and when he finally did he kept calling hm Brandon out of sheer stupidity. Braydon found it funny but his friend Pat got the rage and tried to fight Stu, it was fuckin embarrasing.

the Same night Boulala peed on my shoes and Yoon Sul got naked and tried to dunk us into the harbour.

good times

yourmumsballs

« Reply #359 on: July 06, 2019, 10:31:33 AM »
I've got a few for the old farts. Did the whole European contest/Demo circuit back in 1996 with some mates. First pros we bumped into were some of the Evol team (Tyrone Olson and Mathias Ringstrom) They had arrived late and didn't know where to go, so they hung out with us. We went into a peep show (This was in Amsterdam by the way) came out 5 minutes later, Tyrone was not into it all haha, but Mathias was nowhere to be found. one of my mates went back in and found him in one of the peep show booths spanking one out haha.

Went to a bar later in the evening and found Sluggo, Mike Crum and some other dudes i can't remember. Sluggo seemed to think we were fun guys to be around so we spent the evening hanging out with him. He was actually a really cool nice guy..if a tad drunk haha.

The Munster contest got boycotted by all the U.S pros due to some altercations and disputes over safety (the vert ramp was pretty shakey..literally) so most of the teams did demos at local parks instead.

One night we hooked up with a group of local girls and went to a club that all the skaters would go to in the evening, these girls were total pro ho's and ditched us the moment we got into the club, they made a bee line for a table where Marc Johnson was sitting (guess it was the Maple team) they came back 5 minutes later saying how creepy MJ had been to them and that he was "gross" he spent the rest of the evening giving us evil stares from across the room haha.In general he acted like a whiney little bitch every time we saw him.

Other activities include: Selling random crap (including socks) to dumb German kids who though we were a pro team.

Watching Ronnie Creager and Willy Santos be ridiculously consistent on the Munster street course on practice day.

Stealing all our petrol, until we eventually got chased down the autobahn by a VERY angry petrol station manager.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 10:46:15 AM by yourmumsballs »