Author Topic: Will Antuwan ever get a legit sponsor again  (Read 14638 times)

planman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
Re: Will Antuwan ever get a legit sponsor again
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2018, 01:41:07 PM »
I didn't realize that structure wasn't a requirement of trying to run a board company, let alone in 2018. Rawdog is legitimate, Twuan is happy and seems to be very introspective along with a good head on his shoulders finally. Wouldn't be surprised eventually became a part of BakerBoys

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

jomeara1

« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2018, 01:46:17 PM »
How old was Mariano when he made his comeback?

Probably somewhere between mid twenties and 30. I think he was 31 or 32 when fully flared came out

Issy

« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2018, 01:59:11 PM »
I haven't listened to his Nine Club yet, and maybe there is something I haven't seen, but a few skatepark ledge tricks a professional comeback does not make.

I truly hope Antwuan stays on a path that enables him to be happy and productive. It is better that he stays out of trouble and out of the spotlight if giving us all what we really want, it would put him at risk of a relapse.

Maybe next time we see a professional in a spiral we shouldn't celebrate it so much. I'm just as guilty as anybody.

I cosign this. Dixon is never going to have a Guy, Shiloh, or Sanchez-like comeback. However, it's wonderful to know he's doing a lot better.

opinionated bastard

• Rep: -179
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2018, 02:02:56 PM »
he turns 30 in a few days. He has a history of not being reliable, if he were to become a skate powerhouse again and be reliable and be marketable to companies then he will gain more sponsors, until then he wills tay where he's at.

I have his Jesus board hanging on my wall. dude is a legend.

Issy

« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2018, 02:20:37 PM »
Expand Quote

Please elaborate why Antwuan deserves this?
[close]

Uh, GOAT style and skill you dumbass
I respect your opinion, but that title belongs to either Daewon, Carroll, BA, or Marc imo. Dollin too, since he's always been the best about Baker.

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2018, 02:47:11 PM »
Expand Quote
A recovering addict and habitual felon like him needs structure, routine and daily responsibilities, and filming clips at the skatepark all day is not going to give that to him. The worse thing for him right now is a huge paycheck w/ zero responsibilities. Best thing for him would be a blue collar, skilled labor job, and hang up the pro career.
[close]
you stole the words out of my mind...........
if he wants a brand that's great, however a labor of love would be good thing for him.

you guys not paying attention to brian wenning?  i'm not saying i disagree with the huge paycheck thing, but what would be wrong with making his routine skating everyday at a skatepark?
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

FluFlammer

• Rep: 1
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2018, 02:50:22 PM »
yo isnt antuwan officially on thunder?

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2018, 03:00:13 PM »
I look at it like this: even after fucking his life up Antwuan is still smooth on a ledge, he actually didn't drop off that badly.

Productivity always been his biggest problem, which he blames on his alcohol/drug abuse and his environment. Since he now seem serious about changing those things I can only assume his current situation is a good one. Running a 2nd or 3rd tier board company might be the best thing for him because it requires him to have his act together.

He will never be a "5 minute part every 18 months" guy like Ishod but he can be the next Kenny Anderson if he wants to.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2018, 03:49:52 PM »
Most skaters, just like most NCAA players, are exploited (obviously NCAA is worse since they don't get paid shit). We just need a skater's union that has a decent endowment, which can be used to help the current pros and former pros out.

It'd be awesome if the companies and skaters poured some money into a single pot, which they invested properly and then used the interest gained from principal to fund short term pensions and counseling. There are all sorts of ways this could be done and all sorts of metrics that could help determine who gets x amount of assistance and for how long. It'd could help pay for trade school or university, allow the pros to take the risk to start a company, or offer social services of sorts to the dudes (i.e. financial advice, counseling, addiction treatment, etc.). Shit, this could even be the answer to the health insurance problem (instead of the companies giving the dudes an extra 200 bucks each month to buy their own shit, they could give the union the two hundred bucks).

Also, a union/pension could be set up in a way that makes it easier for the companies to cut the dudes who should have been cut 20 years ago, which opens up space for young blood.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2018, 04:15:28 PM »

"mmhhmmm!"

*"hi pitched Antwuan response voice"

CatchMyFADE

• Rep: 17
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2018, 04:31:11 PM »
imagine if teflon-twaun got re-hooked up by chocolate & es, then drops a legit part & have his mariano comeback moment? How sick would a hecox portrait twaun board be?

Issy

« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2018, 04:32:48 PM »
Let Dixon and Kenny be themselves.

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Rep: -48
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2018, 05:16:33 PM »
Expand Quote
^^ You think up and coming kids that were born after Baker 3 are going to care about his impact a decade ago? Because that's the target skate demographic, not us 20 somethings that want to see him skate for nostalgia's sake.
[close]

Fuck that, I'm not into the dude cause of nostalgia, the clips I've been seeing of him lately is what it is.
see this is something we both can agree upon....
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2018, 05:53:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
A recovering addict and habitual felon like him needs structure, routine and daily responsibilities, and filming clips at the skatepark all day is not going to give that to him. The worse thing for him right now is a huge paycheck w/ zero responsibilities. Best thing for him would be a blue collar, skilled labor job, and hang up the pro career.
[close]
you stole the words out of my mind...........
if he wants a brand that's great, however a labor of love would be good thing for him.
[close]

you guys not paying attention to Brian Wenning?  I'm not saying i disagree with the huge paycheck thing, but what would be wrong with making his routine skating everyday at a skatepark?
not to quell or shut you down as we all have different opinions of what he should do.

I will offer this as we all want the best for him, I would like to see the following from him running a board brand, skating, building stuff, and filming. Also putting his efforts into something where he is doing physical labor will take away any ill feelings and depression he feels think of it a good hard days work feels really good. In the interview you can see and hear how he avoids certain subjects ie video parts filming Baker & Deathwish dudes. Probably because he feels letdown and abandoned by so called homies.

I've been where he's been even prison time not as lengthy or as perpetual but have lost money, friends, career, and family members. It is a gradual process of loving yourself and knowing the best way to get things done is to do them yourself and having trustworthy people in your corner. Plus if I was him I would get the fuck out of California and pull a Bam Margera and film build and revamp my style so when he drops a part it would be so regular that people and sponsors would be chomping at the bit for him. 
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

TMKF

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2018, 06:28:50 PM »
No, I don't think he ever will, unless having a guest board on Baker or Deathwish down the road counts.

Glad to see that he's actually able to form sentences now and he seemed pretty genuine as well. To be honest though it doesn't seem like the dude even likes skating anymore and sort of just does it because its the only way he knows how to make money. He also had a lot of excuses and just seemed to me like he would eventually fall off again and end up back in jail. To be clear I'm not hating on the dude and I truly hope I'm wrong.

I will say this though Antuwan is a legend he earned that with his first part in Baker 3, his talent and style on a skateboard is amazing. The only other skateboarder that comes to mind in recent history who pulled off the same status with their first part is Jake Johnson. That's a pretty big deal in my eyes and so I'll always have a soft spot for him.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2018, 07:01:22 PM »
No, I don't think he ever will, unless having a guest board on Baker or Deathwish down the road counts.

Glad to see that he's actually able to form sentences now and he seemed pretty genuine as well. To be honest though it doesn't seem like the dude even likes skating anymore and sort of just does it because its the only way he knows how to make money. He also had a lot of excuses and just seemed to me like he would eventually fall off again and end up back in jail. To be clear I'm not hating on the dude and I truly hope I'm wrong.

I will say this though Antuwan is a legend he earned that with his first part in Baker 3, his talent and style on a skateboard is amazing. The only other skateboarders that comes to mind in recent history who pulled off the same status with their first part were PJ Ladd and Jake Johnson. That's a pretty big deal in my eyes and so I'll always have a soft spot for him.

Issy

« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2018, 10:02:06 PM »
The only other skateboarder(s) that comes to mind in recent history who pulled off the same status with their first part is Lucas Puig, Frank Gerwer, Kevin Long, Ragdoll, Darrell Stanton, Rodrigo Tx, Johnny Layton, Billy Marks, Nate Jones, PJ Ladd and Jake Johnson.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2018, 12:44:43 AM »
y'all really can't listen for comprehension. he said in the nine club interview that if he doesn't put another part out soon "y'all can shoot me with paintball guns when you see me at the bus stop." what he shies away from is being referred to as a legend. he had a full page add nollie flipping a three block in thrasher 2 months ago. he's deflecting personal shit in that interview bc he isn't friends with any of them and says outright that he isn't fully open with people he doesn't know. i'm hoping this dude gets big shoe money. i would buy nikes if they were to take a political stand in support of a fuck cops agenda no question

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2018, 01:28:28 AM »
I don't think he will get a major shoe company to sign him. I think many would be skeptical about putting on a guy with his criminal record, which involved an assault charge where he could have potentially injured a minor. People may say someone like Daryl is still on Nike, but one, he wasn't convicted of anything, and two, they weren't aware of this when they put him on contract. Most likely, someone with Daryl's current reputation wouldn't get on Nike regardless of their skating (there are questionable things about Nyjah, but none to ever hit anything past the message board, Daryl has a vocal accuser).

Now, I do think if he cleans up, he could get on something semi-legit that could pay him like Emerica, Lakai or DC. I just can't see Nike, Adidas and NB# putting him on. No idea about Vans, but I'd lean to they'd avoid.

As for board brands? If he puts out a comeback part that is up to the standards of pros his age with the same classic style, he'll get a board on something legitimate. Whether its being back on Baker Boys or someone else gives him a shot.

brettpancake

• Rep: 2
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2018, 04:27:22 AM »
Antwuan is way too gritty/hesh for Adidas or SB

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • No sense makes sense.
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2018, 04:32:15 AM »
I dont care as long as he is skating, and i get to see it from time to time!
a comeback would be amazing, are we all still waiting on that 420 part?
he deserves a board more than TK though
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

bo golden

« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2018, 05:15:18 AM »
the black Tom Penny

Stop.

remember that time Tom was at that motel and wanted that dude to catch his fade? 

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2018, 05:17:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I respect your opinion, but that title belongs to either Daewon, Carroll, BA, or Marc imo. Dollin too, since he's always been the best about Baker.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2018, 05:20:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Go ahead mention Daewon Carroll and Marc but BA and Dollin?- naw.   -Cmon its tuwan.  Tom pennys better than Carrol.
  (Edit -imo)
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Andy_Roys_Left_Nut

« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2018, 05:50:33 AM »
His skating is a bit beyond nostalgia. nobody skates like him. Thats a fact - not an opinion.

He's clearly got a massive heart and a lot of hurt inside him. I love him! I hope he ends up in the situation thats most beneficial to him being happy and enjoying his life.

^^ You think up and coming kids that were born after Baker 3 are going to care about his impact a decade ago? Because that's the target skate demographic, not us 20 somethings that want to see him skate for nostalgia's sake.

HotnSpicyMcChicken

• Rep: -41
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2018, 08:24:48 AM »
Also, are we taking that (self-admitted) story about dude assaulting a pregnant woman seriously or nah?

Because if it was a pro who we weren't patiently awaiting a comeback from, that would have been more than enough to get dude cancelled on these boards as evidenced by Daryl, Tony, etc.

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2018, 08:54:19 AM »
Also, are we taking that (self-admitted) story about dude assaulting a pregnant woman seriously or nah?

Because if it was a pro who we weren't patiently awaiting a comeback from, that would have been more than enough to get dude cancelled on these boards as evidenced by Daryl, Tony, etc.
but he has a big heart

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2018, 11:44:50 AM »
Most likely, someone with Daryl's current reputation wouldn't get on Nike regardless of their skating

I don't get how his skating got him on nike in the first place
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2018, 01:06:30 PM »
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

FluFlammer

• Rep: 1
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2018, 02:01:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Most likely, someone with Daryl's current reputation wouldn't get on Nike regardless of their skating
[close]

I don't get how his skating got him on nike in the first place

He's buddy buddy with stefan thats why