Author Topic: Gershon Mosley Jenkem Interview  (Read 23536 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Gershon Mosley Jenkem Interview
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2018, 01:35:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Most of skaters on Zero was what Gerson said. A lot of fisheye and 4 trick.

Before Dylan passed his arms was a constant Topic on slap..a lot of dudes here called Dylan fake style. But now talks shit on Gerson for say the truth. Dylan was fucking talented, but his style was fake, just watch his supreme part.
[close]

Thank you! the fourm seems to forget that there was threads on his arms and style constantly.  But then again theres tons of new users on this thing now..

00:16 in cherry

Robert Baratheon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2018, 01:43:40 PM »
Gershon is salty. He had a kinda bad style but I liked him. His insta make it look like he's a little full of himself.

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2018, 01:47:41 PM »
Some fools might think he comes off as jealous because that's a fuckwit's knee jerk to someone who's "hating," but keep in mind Gershon actively walked away from the industry and kept true to his convictions about it. This is a dude who had enough skill AND clout to ride right back into the game at practically any time. He could have carved himself a nice slice, but proved he didn't want it by ex-patting off to Idaho, Seattle, KC, who knows where else. Those claiming jealousy have no idea who Gershon is and the values to which he holds himself.

This is on point. I don't think Gershon even cares about money or success. But those kind of concept might be weird to understand for some. It's way easier to classify everythings by hater or not. The hater blanket is the ultimate tool for untalented people. Gershon just speaks his mind, it's getting rare now that everybody is terrified to express themselves.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2018, 01:55:05 PM »
Some fools might think he comes off as jealous because that's a fuckwit's knee jerk to someone who's "hating," but keep in mind Gershon actively walked away from the industry and kept true to his convictions about it. This is a dude who had enough skill AND clout to ride right back into the game at practically any time. He could have carved himself a nice slice, but proved he didn't want it by ex-patting off to Idaho, Seattle, KC, who knows where else. Those claiming jealousy have no idea who Gershon is and the values to which he holds himself.

He actually came back to san jose around 2010-2011 and rode for Circle A...I picked up a couple of his boards and still have a skated on one in storage.

One day im in the shop with his board and the owner asked if I wanted to meet him (2011 i think)....he introduced me and dude was super chill and we had a quick chat.  One of the most memorable days of my life for sure

Can see why he likes Suciu approach as opposed to Joslin

chilllyboy

• Rep: -10
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2018, 02:02:31 PM »
I see you lurkin cliff ;)

Feel free to set these suckers straight.

Get the strap

« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2018, 02:16:18 PM »
That was a great interview, got a lot of conversations going. At first I liked that he was brutally honest, that was great. My after thought on the other hand is he's got some issues, otherwise he wouldn't have talked so much shit...I don't know just a funny vibe I got hours after reading it.

My personal cringy parts while reading it is where he mentioned a time that was kinda hard to get girls, like the reader is supposed to care? And at the end I felt like he kinda compared himself to KRS One. I liked the name drop, I'll give him props for that, but there would be no hip hop without KRS One, but you could have skateboarding without GMOS.

conqueso

« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2018, 02:21:01 PM »
That profiles part was heavy for 96. Although you must admit his skating is also a bit jockish. I agree with what he's saying about companies like zero at the time. Seems like he was at his peak when dwindle companies were sort of just not cool anymore.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 02:47:13 PM by conqueso »

ManMelt

« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2018, 02:51:10 PM »
Seems way bitter. Dude had tricks, I’ll admit that, but his style was always straight booger. Granted his style wasn’t forced, but his skating was never pleasing to the eye. He is the last person that should be calling out others and naming names.

t_b_303

• Rep: -9
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2018, 04:56:56 PM »
Gersh was a straight up legend back in the day, Rodney Vs Song Round  1 era /A Team, had a style I wanted to emulate.
Seems like he has a valid reason to be bitter, was turned pro then back to am early in his career. Made a choice to seperate the fun from the business and not to blur the 2, I guess there's no right or wrong way to do it.
And that Renoylds weed story has been retold many different ways.
One version is that The Boss dropped thr N bomb at him. Given that Gersh is a pothead makes sense he needed his fix and Renoylds being who he was in those days wasn't sharing. Funny that it turned into a board graphic.
Also funny that he says he doesn't like the industry yet runs a company selling boards and what not.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2018, 05:20:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Jealousy is very often a subconscious emotion, and it manifests itself via "hating" or trying to diminish the accomplishments of others. A person can walk away from success for whatever reasons they want and still be a jealous and petty little bitch about it.
[close]

You sure you're not subconsciously jealous of Gershon?

Nope... I' very aware of the fact that I'm jealous of anyone who can skate like Gershon. Gersh and Dylan both fit in the same category for me - amazing skaters whose styles I wasn't really into.

chilllyboy

• Rep: -10
« Reply #100 on: August 15, 2018, 05:21:48 PM »
One version is that The Boss dropped thr N bomb at him.

Wrong. The internet made that story up. Gershon even says himself in Muckmouth, that he never heard any slur. Also, it not really that funny that he rearranged the dudes teeth over FREE weed. Kind of goes along with the narrative that Gershon is a petty, vindictive, jealous bully.

Talking shit about Dylan also confirms that narrative. Why even go there. Dylan had a original, unique style,  and looked good on and off the skateboard. To call him out posthumously, and say it was forced, is beyond tacky.

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #101 on: August 15, 2018, 05:29:28 PM »
one thing that nobody knows is gershon is small, height-wise. he maybe have napoleon complex. just like another guy who pottymouthed his way out the industry, adam mcnatt.
anyone wonder if he moved to idaho because it's safer than compton? he had a bully in CPT but in boise he was given space. it's not the first move you'd think a black guy would make but it might've been wise. except the girls didn't have melanin which he alluded to not getting laid a bunch.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #102 on: August 15, 2018, 05:56:10 PM »
Let this be a lesson to you kids...as you get older....every bit of wisdom you have gets clouded by your warped perception......

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #103 on: August 15, 2018, 05:59:04 PM »
one thing that everybody knows is gershon is small, height-wise.

Fixed.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2018, 06:26:40 PM »
That was a great interview, got a lot of conversations going. At first I liked that he was brutally honest, that was great. My after thought on the other hand is he's got some issues, otherwise he wouldn't have talked so much shit...I don't know just a funny vibe I got hours after reading it.

My personal cringy parts while reading it is where he mentioned a time that was kinda hard to get girls, like the reader is supposed to care? And at the end I felt like he kinda compared himself to KRS One. I liked the name drop, I'll give him props for that, but there would be no hip hop without KRS One, but you could have skateboarding without GMOS.

When he's on about the girls he's being interviewed, yeh?  -While he's answering honestly you feel he should also be calculating wheather or not every readers gonna give a fuck?  -  Tall order!
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Get the strap

« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2018, 07:34:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

When he's on about the girls he's being interviewed, yeh?  -While he's answering honestly you feel he should also be calculating wheather or not every readers gonna give a fuck?  -  Tall order!

Back in the day skaters weren't really the romantic type they are today lol I was like you couldn't get chicks in Idaho but you could get them elsewhere? What is this low key bragging? He really wanted to share that, maybe the fellas were talking to him. It is a small town in Idaho after all.

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2018, 07:47:42 PM »
Bitter man party of 1
Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

gnidraobetaks

• Rep: 22
« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2018, 08:18:46 PM »
one thing that nobody knows is gershon is small, height-wise. he maybe have napoleon complex. just like another guy who pottymouthed his way out the industry, adam mcnatt.
anyone wonder if he moved to idaho because it's safer than compton? he had a bully in CPT but in boise he was given space. it's not the first move you'd think a black guy would make but it might've been wise. except the girls didn't have melanin which he alluded to not getting laid a bunch.
Gershon isn’t that small? And he’s actually pretty damn swol... sorry about your wiener too.

John Kreese

• Rep: -22
« Reply #108 on: August 15, 2018, 09:08:12 PM »
At one point he was on top until he was deemed to hard to work with. Regardless, talking ill of the dead is unfathomable especially Dylan, that kid was amazing on so many levels and never reached his peak. RIP.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2213
« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2018, 09:49:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Gershon isn’t that small? And he’s actually pretty damn swol... sorry about your wiener too.
Gershon is average height, sorta built. Sweat makes him look short.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Putaslocas

• Rep: -291
  • EAT SHIT AND DIE
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2018, 10:00:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Dylan absolutely had fake arm steez. It was one of his most talked about features when he was on fire. I understand that people want to be respectful when someone passes, but there's no reason to rewrite history on such a petty thing. Even if you personally don't think he was posing, it was very much a well known ongoing debate so don't act like Gershon just made it up. To acknowledge this very small but well known aspect of his skating doesn't take away from how amazing a skater he was.
[close]

People are definitely very touchy about Dylan.

Gersh is just kooking it as always, though. Saying "they" discovered Dylan from modeling or whatever... pure bullshit that he's just making up out of jealousy. He did that a few times in the interview to belittle other people's achievements. Yeah, Gershon was a nice guy back in the day if you met him at a demo or something, but he was also clearly on the spectrum of kookiness.
[close]

Funny thing is that dylan did get discovered through modeling. Tough pill to swallow i know.
[close]

I wouldn't really care, to be honest. He was a good skater, but his overly expressed style was a bit much for me. Skateboarding isn't hollywood, "they" didn't find some model kid and teach him how to skate. Dylan was a young skater who was already sponsored, and also doing modeling shoots. He happened to meet a future friend who would help him with his career trajectory at one of those shoots, apparently. I guess every time someone meets someone new, they're being discovered by that person - so you're right!

They were originally using him for lifestyle shots. Had dylan not mentioned to the photographer that he could skate who knows what direction his career would have gone in. If it werent for mark oblow who knows, dylan may have never considered taking a path in skating ever. And maybe i dont know the specifics but how sure are you that dylan was already in the scene/doing contests before shooting for mark oblow? Are you sure all that didnt start until after?

billyerlife

« Reply #111 on: August 15, 2018, 10:07:49 PM »

I'm impressed with how many examples of the fact that you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about you've managed to include in only a few short sentences.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2018, 10:19:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Dylan absolutely had fake arm steez. It was one of his most talked about features when he was on fire. I understand that people want to be respectful when someone passes, but there's no reason to rewrite history on such a petty thing. Even if you personally don't think he was posing, it was very much a well known ongoing debate so don't act like Gershon just made it up. To acknowledge this very small but well known aspect of his skating doesn't take away from how amazing a skater he was.
[close]

Gersh is just kooking it as always, though. Saying "they" discovered Dylan from modeling or whatever... pure bullshit that he's just making up out of jealousy. He did that a few times in the interview to belittle other people's achievements. Yeah, Gershon was a nice guy back in the day if you met him at a demo or something, but he was also clearly on the spectrum of kookiness.
[close]

Funny thing is that dylan did get discovered through modeling. Tough pill to swallow i know.
[close]

I wouldn't really care, to be honest. He was a good skater, but his overly expressed style was a bit much for me. Skateboarding isn't hollywood, "they" didn't find some model kid and teach him how to skate. Dylan was a young skater who was already sponsored, and also doing modeling shoots. He happened to meet a future friend who would help him with his career trajectory at one of those shoots, apparently. I guess every time someone meets someone new, they're being discovered by that person - so you're right!
[close]

They were originally using him for lifestyle shots. Had dylan not mentioned to the photographer that he could skate who knows what direction his career would have gone in. If it werent for mark oblow who knows, dylan may have never considered taking a path in skating ever. And maybe i dont know the specifics but how sure are you that dylan was already in the scene/doing contests before shooting for mark oblow? Are you sure all that didnt start until after?

Not sure, I honestly don't know loads about Dylan's background. He was really young when I was on tour with him and I learned a tiny bit about him from the TM on that trip, but it sounds like you know more about it than I do. If he really was just some kid model who "they" (again, who is this "they"?) molded into a skateboarder, then I have no problem accepting I was wrong. Someone definitely taught him the importance of cultivating a marketable image early on, can't deny that.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2018, 10:45:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Idaho had more Mormons per capital than Utah. Hard to get girls there without marrying first, melanin or not.

t_b_303

• Rep: -9
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2018, 04:19:09 AM »
Expand Quote
One version is that The Boss dropped thr N bomb at him.
[close]
Wrong. The internet made that story up. Gershon even says himself in Muckmouth, that he never heard any slur. Also, it not really that funny that he rearranged the dudes teeth over FREE weed. Kind of goes along with the narrative that Gershon is a petty, vindictive, jealous bully.
Not saying it was absolute truth just a 'version' of the story.
I'm on Gersh's side on this though as it does go along the narrative that Reynolds was a one beer wonder asshole that wouldn't share weed on tour and then when back in the states stepped to Gersh with his posse of hood rat teenagers and then later again at a trade show talked shit about it. 3 strikes and he got knocked the fuck out like the beta cuck he is.

thisisnotepic

• Rep: 88
« Reply #115 on: August 16, 2018, 04:26:30 AM »
I will admit Gersh has always been a little fried and tangential.

Q: Damn, I didn’t realize you could make that amount from skating back then.

A:

Putaslocas

• EAT SHIT AND DIE
« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2018, 12:15:52 PM »
At one point he was on top until he was deemed to hard to work with. Regardless, talking ill of the dead is unfathomable especially Dylan, that kid was amazing on so many levels and never reached his peak. RIP.

Oh god, shut up. Focus your accont while youre still new. He didnt speak “ill” of him. There was nothing offensive about what he said of dylan, it was his opinion. Whats dylan not even reaching his peak have to do with gershon saying his arm steeze was fake?

Putaslocas

• EAT SHIT AND DIE
« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2018, 12:21:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Not sure, I honestly don't know loads about Dylan's background. He was really young when I was on tour with him and I learned a tiny bit about him from the TM on that trip, but it sounds like you know more about it than I do. If he really was just some kid model who "they" (again, who is this "they"?) molded into a skateboarder, then I have no problem accepting I was wrong. Someone definitely taught him the importance of cultivating a marketable image early on, can't deny that.

Sorry, they refers to quiksilver. This is all info ive picked up from dylans epicly latered.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 718
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #118 on: August 16, 2018, 01:07:33 PM »
Yeah, that shit was weird when he mentioned his lack of success with ladies as if it were a conspiracy against him. I'm going to need elaboration on that. Maybe it's the same conspiracy keeping me down. It's the only possibility.

Wasn't Dylan in the skate industry at a pretty young age? Was he modeling in the Osiris Subject to Change days? I think it would be pretty ridiculous for the fashion industry to pick up some little boy and tell him to become a one in a million talent in skating because it's good branding. Pretty sure he would've made it in either industry had he chose one, but why choose when you don't have to?
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2018, 01:14:10 PM »
I like Gershon but I think no matter what his point was it’s a bit tacky to be critical of someon deceased

I know right, how dare people talk about Hitler’s morphine addiction and chronic flatulence after he tragically committed suicide due to mental health issues. Respect the dead jeeezzzz
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.