Author Topic: Quasi: "Mother"  (Read 32349 times)

VHS ERA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Quasi: "Mother"
« Reply #180 on: July 24, 2018, 06:58:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Last part dude reminds me of Adrian Lopez a bit. Not just because of the buzzed head and tats, it’s the crouch stance.
[close]
Are there really people on SLAP who don't know who Gilbert Crockett is? I thought this place was full of skate nerds but you don't even have to be one to know who Gilbert is

My need for titles probably is a little more severe than others here. I took a hiatus from skateboarding and following skating so long it could be qualified as quitting, from like 2009-2015.

I’m fully back in for life but sometimes I still don’t know who tf someone is and this no title trend ain’t helping.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #181 on: July 24, 2018, 07:02:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

You have it backwards.
[close]

A big part of the "culture" is knowing who did what where
If you don't put names on stuff it gets blurry and it doesn't stand the test of time.

I do not watch a new video to test my nerdery - blindtest mode or to be fed with tricks, i partly do it to improve my nerdy and put a name on talented guys i didnt know about. :)
[close]

If you're actually invested in the "culture" then you shouldn't need titles to know who these guys are...
[close]
My fault. I guess I need to spend way more time consuming internet clips and online mag interviews than dealing with real life and actually skateboarding.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #182 on: August 12, 2018, 02:07:50 PM »
I was bummed I feel asleep and someone out bid me for a VHS copy from Bust Crew dude on eBay.  Then my wife reminded me we don't even have a vcr. And I realized I can but a lot of hard goods for $180. I think JJs Mom was really singing me the siren song from the cover.

redux

• Rep: -5
« Reply #183 on: August 13, 2018, 05:29:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

You have it backwards.
[close]

If you don't put names on stuff it gets blurry and it doesn't stand the test of time.

I do not watch a new video to test my nerdery - blindtest mode or to be fed with tricks, i partly do it to improve my nerdy and put a name on talented guys i didnt know about. :)
[close]

If you're actually invested in the "culture" then you shouldn't need titles to know who these guys are...
[close]
My fault. I guess I need to spend way more time consuming internet clips and online mag interviews than dealing with real life and actually skateboarding.
[close]

Knowing this kind of information is a key aspect of the "culture". Riding a skateboard does not make you a skater.

Little Debbie

« Reply #184 on: August 13, 2018, 08:47:03 AM »
this video doesn't really do it for me. i've tried watching it three times now and i think Gilbert's part is the only saving grace, really. the individual clips, a lot of those are good. I just feel like the way the vid was put together could have used a little more time/thinking through. I like Will Rosenstock's and Paul Young's work on their own, but something about this editing seemed confused, hodge podge. also I've never understood the art direction behind Quasi. just seems really random. go ahead and kook me. as far as 2018 full lengths, Purple strikes me as a far better video.

canadian tm

« Reply #185 on: August 13, 2018, 11:39:31 AM »
this video doesn't really do it for me. i've tried watching it three times now and i think Gilbert's part is the only saving grace, really. the individual clips, a lot of those are good. I just feel like the way the vid was put together could have used a little more time/thinking through. I like Will Rosenstock's and Paul Young's work on their own, but something about this editing seemed confused, hodge podge. also I've never understood the art direction behind Quasi. just seems really random. go ahead and kook me. as far as 2018 full lengths, Purple strikes me as a far better video.

i agree w all this. full lengths in general just don't have that much of a impact and companies realise it. some of the hyperbole surrounding this video on this forum was laughable.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #186 on: August 13, 2018, 05:06:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

You have it backwards.
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Knowing this kind of information is a key aspect of the "culture". Riding a skateboard does not make you a skater.

You sound fun. Fuck right off.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #187 on: August 13, 2018, 06:10:54 PM »

I too agree with this, minus the comment regarding Purple as I felt that video was just a random attempt to capture the Cons team. Too be quite honest, the lack of direction has actually caused me to refrain from buying these boards at all. I have the Lou Reed one hanging and that was a gift from a friend. Even though I love Lou, I still wouldn't have bought myself that board. Gil's part is the only part I'd rewatch if I were to ever own this video, something that will not happen unless its given to me.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #188 on: August 13, 2018, 07:14:47 PM »
I still think this video is fantastic, and I'm still noticing new things about it. I pity you guys.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #189 on: August 13, 2018, 08:27:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

You have it backwards.
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

You sure?

redux

« Reply #190 on: August 14, 2018, 05:47:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

You have it backwards.
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

You sure?

Yes. I'm positive. Throwing a football doesn't make you a quarterback.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -99
« Reply #191 on: August 14, 2018, 06:16:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

You have it backwards.
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

You sure?
[close]

I'd guess a lot of people here are older and have been heavily invested in "the culture" for decades.  Now we have jobs kids etc and use Slap to help keep us connected to what we love, since we might not get to skate as much as we want.  I want titles so I can find new favorite skaters-I can tell you everything about Underworld Element but could use a little help with newer smaller companies like Quasi.  If you ride skateboards and love skating, you're a skater.

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #192 on: August 14, 2018, 07:49:05 AM »
theres only like 6-7 people in the video and i assume you know the pros. its only like 3 people whos names you have to find and theyre all listed in the end credits. i think no titles always beats cheesy looking titles. unrelated but i hate when guest skaters or ones in the montage get the same looking titles as people with full parts. kinda confuses me

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
« Reply #193 on: August 14, 2018, 08:10:27 AM »
Theres so many heads out up and coming I stopped caring  about titles. Credits usually make up for it, and if I see a name I recognize or I find out who did what trick I'll go back, and watch it all again. Skate videos don't have the same rules as movies,but I get where one could find it annoying like that dude in Modus.
Even though Mother seems a little all over the place editing wise it was still a good watch and rewatch. The only video I haven't rewatched this year was Album. Go figure.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

thebacker

« Reply #194 on: August 14, 2018, 09:25:49 AM »
Theres so many heads out up and coming I stopped caring  about titles. Credits usually make up for it, and if I see a name I recognize or I find out who did what trick I'll go back, and watch it all again. Skate videos don't have the same rules as movies,but I get where one could find it annoying like that dude in Modus.
Even though Mother seems a little all over the place editing wise it was still a good watch and rewatch. The only video I haven't rewatched this year was Album. Go figure.
I feel like you’d have to try as hard as the skaters to make skating that good look so fucking bland and boring

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
« Reply #195 on: August 14, 2018, 09:28:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I feel like you’d have to try as hard as the skaters to make skating that good look so fucking bland and boring
Straight up.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #196 on: August 14, 2018, 10:59:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

You have it backwards.
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

You sure?
[close]

Okay, about this - and I don't mean this in a negative way, against you - but what does being a skater consist of? Is there really a certain mindset and culture you have to adhere to, is there a certain number of times you have to skate in order to truly become a skateboarder? I'm just interested in other people's views on this. I personally think that if you just ride a skateboard once in awhile at least, then you're a skateboarder. Because "skateboarder" or "football player" or "poet" or whatever else isn't a title or distinction.

redux

« Reply #197 on: August 14, 2018, 11:22:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

You have it backwards.
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

You sure?
[close]

[close]
I'd guess a lot of people here are older and have been heavily invested in "the culture" for decades.  Now we have jobs kids etc and use Slap to help keep us connected to what we love, since we might not get to skate as much as we want.  I want titles so I can find new favorite skaters-I can tell you everything about Underworld Element but could use a little help with newer smaller companies like Quasi.  If you ride skateboards and love skating, you're a skater.

So let's look at it like this. Vinnie Ponte vs Justin Bieber.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -99
« Reply #198 on: August 14, 2018, 11:32:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

You have it backwards.
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

You sure?
[close]

[close]
[close]

So let's look at it like this. Vinnie Ponte vs Justin Bieber.
I wonder if Vinnie Ponte has the Quasi roster committed to memory.  Dude must not be a skater if not.

fongool

• Rep: 94
« Reply #199 on: August 14, 2018, 04:29:52 PM »
For some reason, I seriously doubt Vinnie Ponte could ID the majority of the Quasi team.

Personally, I'm pro-titles. There's an absolute avalanche of skate content out there -- I consume what I can and retain the stuff I like the best so any titles are helpful. There's tricks/clips I've been enjoying for 20 years and I still to this day have no idea who the skater is. Do the skaters themselves really not care? Especially if they are trying to blow up and the entire name of the game is get your name out there as much as possible. There's really no reason not to do it.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #200 on: August 14, 2018, 04:33:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

You have it backwards.
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Lol

redux

« Reply #201 on: August 14, 2018, 05:18:20 PM »
You guys are thick.

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #202 on: August 14, 2018, 11:58:39 PM »
Has anyone else noticed the the whole team besides Bledsoe is regular footed? Odd comparison but reminds me of Zero New Blood how everyone was regular besides Garret Hill
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

somedudefromnj

« Reply #203 on: August 15, 2018, 04:07:50 PM »
Just realized justin henry blasting over that new york rail was switch. Do you have to be into the skaters to enjoy a video?

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #204 on: August 16, 2018, 08:12:28 PM »

redux

« Reply #205 on: August 17, 2018, 04:23:35 AM »
 :-*