Author Topic: basic tricks you can't do  (Read 4100 times)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 965
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: basic tricks you can't do
« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2024, 08:24:14 AM »
Bertelman's I fuckin suck at um.

I go to the diy sometimes and try and copy Pete but I only got one version ugly and painful.
It's extra wack because when I was under 21 I could straight jacket no hands lay down on the wall at almost any angle.

Fuckin street revolution hobbled my og skill set.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #121 on: April 21, 2024, 08:28:39 AM »
Bertelman's I fuckin suck at um.

I go to the diy sometimes and try and copy Pete but I only got one version ugly and painful.
It's extra wack because when I was under 21 I could straight jacket no hands lay down on the wall at almost any angle.

Fuckin street revolution hobbled my og skill set.
Need to be less pirate more pilates

vinithebr

• Rep: -20
« Reply #122 on: April 21, 2024, 08:31:00 AM »
tre flips

Have worked on them several times over the years, got close occasionally, but never actually landed one.

My first tres were on a choad board I made after I broke its nose
Somehow that made tres automatic, felt like a cheat and I couldn't care less

I just lowered the truck, drilled 2 new holes and sanded a new nose, it looked like a wide penny

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
« Reply #123 on: April 21, 2024, 10:04:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Varial flips. I can 360 flip but not varial flip.

Nollie/switch flips

[close]

I feel like these two I can actually give sensible advice because I like doing both.

So the difference between doing a 360 flip and doing a varial flip is 360 is almost all back foot and varial flip is almost all front foot. To do a varial flip do a kickflip and imagine you’re spinning it with your flick / front foot. Like imagine flicking but pushing it with that front foot like a shove after thought. Maybe this just works for me but once you think flick and shove with all that same front foot it’ll guide it. This way you can have both varial and 360 flip because unlike 360 flip, it really isn’t a scoop trick - at least in my opinion.

Switch flip I have my back foot square on the tail sometimes the very end of the tail sometimes in the pocket but always parallel with the bolts sort of on tip toes but like full foot across the whole tail. Flick foot pointy with a little heel hanging off on tippy toes like behind the back bolts but not right behind them.

Nollie flip same thing but I sort of look backwards when I pop and try to start facing forward by the time I land.

Hope these help.

I forget and relearn tricks all the time. One comes back one goes. Somethings that felt easy all the time randomly are really hard and others I haven’t done in forever I’ll try and they feel natural out of no where.
[close]

Thanks for the detailed varial flip explanation. I will try that out sometime.

Hey no problem man. I hope it helps. I’m not some insanely good skater or anything but I like doing those tricks. Did a couple varial flips, 360 flips and nollie flips this morning. I don’t think I did any switch flips come to think of it and I usually like doing those back to regular on the bank at my local park but I don’t think I even tried.

Please let me know if that varial flip tip works for you. I’m curious if what I said made any sense.

Blind Fisherman

• Rep: 53
« Reply #124 on: April 22, 2024, 03:22:14 PM »
I keep wanting to give advice on front shuvs since I've seen more than a few comments regarding their difficulty, but every time I go to type out my explanation I feel like it's too long winded and doesn't make sense. :( it's one of my favorites and want to share the love with y'all.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #125 on: April 22, 2024, 06:03:38 PM »
I keep wanting to give advice on front shuvs since I've seen more than a few comments regarding their difficulty, but every time I go to type out my explanation I feel like it's too long winded and doesn't make sense. :( it's one of my favorites and want to share the love with y'all.

You should share it anyway.

My tip for fs shoves would be to think of it like you are pushing it out in front of you a little bit to stay over it.

malevy

• Rep: 6
« Reply #126 on: April 22, 2024, 06:05:34 PM »
Pop shove its (FS has always been easier for me)
BS180 (NEED it this year)
Manual/nose manuals (never had em)
Board slides (always been big and too afraid to commit)

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #127 on: April 22, 2024, 06:19:21 PM »
Just share it man! Pretty sure I still remember a dope clip of yours, fakie fs shove over one of those plastic mini jersey barriers. You obviously got that shit so share the wealth.

For me any trick other than fs nose or bad flat ground kickflip is pretty elusive.

Blind Fisherman

« Reply #128 on: April 22, 2024, 06:21:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My tip for fs shoves would be to think of it like you are pushing it out in front of you a little bit to stay over it.
Right, that last bit is exactly how I think about them. It’s more of a pop than a scoop in my mind. For those struggling; try thinking about it like you’re trying to get the board to smack to your front foot once the board is done rotating. Focus your pop on almost the tip of the tail with your front foot just behind/right on the back bolts of your front truck. That’s a rough breakdown of foot position and all that. I’ll give a more in-depth one when I’m back at a computer and not having to type all of this on my phone.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #129 on: April 22, 2024, 08:03:24 PM »
Back lips. One of the best looking tricks imo and bane of my existence. Not on curbs, ledges, or transition.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
« Reply #130 on: April 23, 2024, 12:35:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Right, that last bit is exactly how I think about them. It’s more of a pop than a scoop in my mind. For those struggling; try thinking about it like you’re trying to get the board to smack to your front foot once the board is done rotating. Focus your pop on almost the tip of the tail with your front foot just behind/right on the back bolts of your front truck. That’s a rough breakdown of foot position and all that. I’ll give a more in-depth one when I’m back at a computer and not having to type all of this on my phone.

are your front foot toes hanging off the board or do you keep them like lined up with the edge? i keep my front foot on the edge and i can do them consistently, but they look awful. when i have them hanging off the board goes behind me. i don't know what's the problem, i can varial heel better than i can front shuv for some weird reason. your shuvs are fire btw and i wish i could do them like that too.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Blind Fisherman

« Reply #131 on: April 23, 2024, 06:41:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

are your front foot toes hanging off the board or do you keep them like lined up with the edge? i keep my front foot on the edge and i can do them consistently, but they look awful. when i have them hanging off the board goes behind me. i don't know what's the problem, i can varial heel better than i can front shuv for some weird reason. your shuvs are fire btw and i wish i could do them like that too.
I keep my toes lined up with the edge of the board. If I hang them over the edge, I get the same results you do. To be honest, I’d rather have varial heels than front shuvs.
If you want a good visual example of how to do front shuvs, watch how Mason Silva does them and try to emulate that. That’s essentially what I did.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #132 on: April 23, 2024, 08:32:40 AM »
Yall know how all pop shuvs are almost like you basically pop and scoop it and hand it to your other foot. How come i cant do this nicely nollie fs?

Nollie bs is the easiest. Never miss it. Fakie any shuv is tit. Add a flip in 3 or less tries.

Nollie fs pops too high. I find myself reaching for it with the boned sides of my feet out of desperation. This hurts a lot my inside ankle bone. Esp when it most certainly 1/4 flips.

Gimme a step to think about so i can become like water in all stances with all basics. Thinking about it the way i do has gotten me well over 25 years of self hate and despair around it.

i can nollie v better than nollie shuv. I would say the v i could get nicely in 10 or less. The shuv is never gonna be nice. Im leaving to skate in about an hour
(A)pl(E)

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 360
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #133 on: April 23, 2024, 08:53:33 AM »
I have a fairly deep bag of flatground tricks but I simply cannot do nollie bs flips, switch back heels, or switch hardflips. I’ve landed a few of the first two over the years but have never done a switch hard and will sad if I part this mortal coil without ever busting one :(
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #134 on: April 23, 2024, 09:34:58 AM »
I have a fairly deep bag of flatground tricks but I simply cannot do nollie bs flips, switch back heels, or switch hardflips. I’ve landed a few of the first two over the years but have never done a switch hard and will sad if I part this mortal coil without ever busting one :(

I feel it pal. I feel similar. Im going out rn. Gonna try something new
(A)pl(E)

franc

• Rep: 102
« Reply #135 on: April 23, 2024, 10:43:35 AM »
front 180 to fakie Manny is way more trouble than it's worth.
It took me aeons to figure those out but it was well worth the trouble, they feel sooo good.
It's one of those tricks you have to commit to 110%, it won't just happen like a nollie tailslide to fakie or even a front 180 fakie nosemanny. Put your front foot slightly hanging over the toe side of the board (kinda like in between your placement for a front 180 and a frontside heelflip). Back foot like for a normal frontside 180. Try to do the full 180 in the air before landing. Yes, Daewon, Crockett and everybody who does that trick seem to do like a 150 degree ollie and slide into the fakie wheelie, this is what's gonna happen but it won't work if you try to do it like that, you'll lose your balance. Once you've landed, pretend your back foot leg is made of steel and won't move, hold that wheelie like your life depends on it.
One last thing that helped me at first (not sure why to be honest) was approaching the pad at a slight angle (like you would for a backside slappy grind).

Frontside nollie 180 to fakie Manny is bullshit too.
Your shoulders should have pretty much done the 180 as your nose hits the ground when you pop the nollie, then your hips and legs will follow and you'll be able to keep your balance once you land on the pad.

Crooked pop out in the middle.
Torque the crooks making it close to a noseslide, sit on it then pretend you are light as a feather when you pop that nollie out.

Hope this will help! Sorry if I didn't word that very well, I'm knackered.