Author Topic: kelly bird chromeball  (Read 2546 times)

left knee cap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 118
  • $$$$
kelly bird chromeball
« on: August 23, 2018, 12:42:52 AM »
new one

http://chromeballincident.blogspot.com/2018/08/chrome-ball-interview-120-kelly-bird.html

interesting to read about DC, FF and the downfall after the video.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: kelly bird chromeball
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 04:20:36 AM »
Again, another Chromeball good one.  I always felt like Kelly had the caliber of skill/style to be on one of the World brands back in the day.  Maybe it was the whole being from Texas thing, but he always rode for weird brands like Alva and New School.  Getting on Real was sick, and I had no idea integral his role has been in the industry. 

Some of those stories are great.  Asking The Chief to ride for Lakai?  Stevie on Lakai would have been sick, but he was so popular back then and I'm sure his DC checks were pretty nice. 

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 04:40:58 AM »
Again, another Chromeball good one.  I always felt like Kelly had the caliber of skill/style to be on one of the World brands back in the day.  Maybe it was the whole being from Texas thing, but he always rode for weird brands like Alva and New School.  Getting on Real was sick, and I had no idea integral his role has been in the industry. 

Some of those stories are great.  Asking The Chief to ride for Lakai?  Stevie on Lakai would have been sick, but he was so popular back then and I'm sure his DC checks were pretty nice.

Surprised to learn it took Lakai to make those DC checks become nice

finecojeffe

• Rep: 129
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 05:58:23 AM »
New School.

This seems like on of the brands from the 90's that was huge that never seems to be written about nowadays. Maybe it was just big outside of Philly, I'm not sure, but I can't remember the last time I've heard this company name.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 07:52:12 AM »
Can you imagine telling Tony Alva you're shelving Alva and turning it into New School?

phillip dominguez

• Rep: 15
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 08:02:59 AM »
Expand Quote
New School.
[close]

This seems like on of the brands from the 90's that was huge that never seems to be written about nowadays. Maybe it was just big outside of Philly, I'm not sure, but I can't remember the last time I've heard this company name.

No you’re right they were kind of big everywhere because they ran a price point 8 ball graphic that kids ate up at the time, kind of like all the ravers then rocking Alien believe and missing link shirts. 

PeggyHillsShittySpanish

• Rep: 2
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 12:41:26 PM »
Great read. Chromeball is the best written interview platform.

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 05:03:48 AM »
Incredible read. Congrats

billyerlife

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 01:11:51 PM »
I love Chromeball, but this one was underwhelming. Fully Flared was hard to make, selling out is cool as long as there is enough money involved. The only interesting thing was that people were using lakai to get better deals at other shoe companies even before it existed. A time honored tradition apparently.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 01:32:10 PM »
Expand Quote
New School.
[close]

They wouldn't get talked about cause the name was just them being ashamed of 'Alva' and thinking 'Newschool' was better, which in retrospect was lame. 
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 02:38:30 PM »
Would have loved to hear a little more about 12 year old Freddy with mom & 6 pack in NYC. Surely something memorable had to happen that day.

other2

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 02:59:19 PM »
I love how he always wrote about people selling out to nike as being disloyal and ruining skateboarding and chasing the money.

Then he does it himself. The very definition of a kook.

Fuck him.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 01:41:32 AM by other2 »

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2018, 08:27:16 AM »
I love Chromeball, but this one was underwhelming. Fully Flared was hard to make, selling out is cool as long as there is enough money involved. The only interesting thing was that people were using lakai to get better deals at other shoe companies even before it existed. A time honored tradition apparently.

Have you ever had a real job, with kids to support and a mortgage and car payments?  "Selling out" is what you do when you work with actual companies.  I work in management consulting.  If Bain is going to pay me $100K more a your than the next competitor. I'd be all over it.   

billyerlife

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 09:27:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Have you ever had a real job, with kids to support and a mortgage and car payments?  "Selling out" is what you do when you work with actual companies.  I work in management consulting.  If Bain is going to pay me $100K more a your than the next competitor. I'd be all over it.   

You have no idea who you are talking to, you should remember that. I have a mortgage, kids, and a career in the public sector. I'll be our household's sole income next year as my wife is going to stay home with our newborn (due in two weeks!).  I worked really hard to get the necessary education to do something I love, that I think matters, and in an institution I support. To get here, I left my far more financially lucrative job as a mortgage broker, specifically because money, while important, isn't everything. So don't be assuming hypocrisy or naivete on my part. I wouldn't take that 100k if it meant working for a company I didn't respect, I feel sorry for you that it would take so little to buy your conscience, not to mention the vast majority of the hours in your life.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 06:05:41 PM by billyerlife »

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2018, 10:15:29 AM »
Wait, wut?

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2018, 05:04:37 PM »
I love how he always wrote about people selling out to nike as being disloyal and ruining skateboarding and chasing the money.

Then he does it himself. The very definition of a kook.

Fuck him.

But you’d gone on record a few times about Nike in the Lakai days, and not in the most favorable light. How much flack did you catch for making the switch and how do you look at those previous statements now?

I did. It just got to a point where I was taking things way too personally… which is pretty silly, in hindsight, because Lakai was never even my brand. I just had these emotional attachments to everything that definitely became unhealthy over the years. But when you hear enough times that “big time” is the best move for another dude to make, in the back of your head, you start to wonder why it’s not the best move for you to make as well.

So when the opportunity did present itself to me, I looked at it through the same lens. What’s the best thing for me at this point in my life? And that was it. Of course, I took flack for it and I understand why, but I’m still doing fun stuff for skateboarding with so many of the best skaters in the game. That’s really all that matters to me. The rest is just noise.

How do you react when people try to throw those previous statements in your face?

To be honest, that barely ever happens. Most people were congratulative.

Look, when Nike got into skateboarding this third time, they clearly figured out the right way to go about it. Obviously, their product is incredible, but also the level of service that they were bringing to their riders, compared to any other skate brand, was undeniable. For those who want to knock Nike, skateboarding had 30 years to figure out how to treat these dudes like professionals. But we didn’t do it. So you can’t be mad at a brand that comes in with an elevated sense of how professional skateboarders should be treated.

The other thing is this, and it’s comparable to what drives politics in a lot of the world right now, but I don’t want to be part of that cranky group of people who think skateboarding was only great during a certain time period that they, themselves, say was “the greatest”. Because that’s bullshit. Everything evolves, and I want to keep evolving with it. Of course, I think that the 90’s were awesome, but I don’t believe things have to be run as such in 2018, based on that belief. Because I would’ve much rather walked into that Wells Fargo with a check bigger than $3,000. And I think it’s a good thing that most skateboarders can do that now.

As long as kids are attracted to skateboarding for the same reasons we were, which is being represented by these brands and the kids want to associate with them as a result, I’m okay with being part of that.