Author Topic: Thoughts about supporting companies  (Read 5440 times)

Lenny the Fatface

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
Thoughts about supporting companies
« on: August 24, 2018, 06:17:59 PM »
New Polar vid came out and dudes were stoked on buying Polar decks...but isn't that kind of a bad execution of good will?

If you really wanted to back a company doesn't it make more sense to buy the softgoods like hats, shirts, and hoodies?

You spend less money on something that lasts longer, it's less of a commitment (no need to be picky over shape), the companies make higher margins, and it gives the brands more exposure.

Wouldn't it be sick if another "put your money where your mouth is thread" happened and people bought stuff in addition to decks?

Is wearing a bunch of skate shirts like its 2000 too corny to pull off? Just random thoughts...

Hoeboi

• Rep: -362
Re: Thoughts about supporting companies
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 06:25:20 PM »
i just got hella fly society shirts from karmaloop on sale. dope ass tanks with palm trees. sick ass like skulls and shit. unlike most of the broke boys here i put my money where my mouth is and i support the industry cats who deserve support. y'all want tk to bring the bangers in baker 4 then get out there and support my guy. shalom on your bitchass.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 06:36:34 PM »
Okay so you work for polar and want us to buy their shirts?

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 06:39:39 PM »

I work for a medical software company and want you to stop letting your baby mammas get talked into unnecessary c-sections.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 06:47:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I work for a medical software company and want you to stop letting your baby mammas get talked into unnecessary c-sections.

Yeah, c-sections aren’t core.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 06:50:07 PM »
Technically...thats where the surgery takes place. So its actually core as fuck.

sweatin

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 07:07:37 PM »
I've been buying polar decks, hats and clothes since 2015. It's my favourite company and I do what I can to support them.

MareVitals

• Rep: -39
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 07:24:53 PM »
I use this argument to justify buying blanks. At the end of the day I don't end up buying the soft goods either but then again I'm cheap as hell.

Tedd

• Rep: -14
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 07:57:25 PM »
New Polar vid came out and dudes were stoked on buying Polar decks...but isn't that kind of a bad execution of good will?

If you really wanted to back a company doesn't it make more sense to buy the softgoods like hats, shirts, and hoodies?

You spend less money on something that lasts longer, it's less of a commitment (no need to be picky over shape), the companies make higher margins, and it gives the brands more exposure.

Wouldn't it be sick if another "put your money where your mouth is thread" happened and people bought stuff in addition to decks?

Is wearing a bunch of skate shirts like its 2000 too corny to pull off?
Just random thoughts...

Yes

Unless you’re sponced

No logos

• Rep: -42
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 08:08:14 PM »
Technically...thats where the surgery takes place. So its actually core as fuck.

Nah og pussy birth is core, new school surgery birth is lame. Tell the kiddos.
You can throw me on the double kink box and then watch the hate ignored like Constitution by the congressmen

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1373
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 08:37:26 PM »
I mainly buy clothes that skate shops make. I read an interview with Bro Gumpright where he recommended that we buy shop gear because they make the most profit off that (I'm guessing, maybe it's shoes first, shop gear second).

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 08:39:08 PM »

Is wearing a bunch of skate shirts like its 2000 too corny to pull off? Just random thoughts...

I bought a Polar deck at the swap meet for five bucks last weekend.
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 09:54:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah, c-sections aren’t core.

Is it fair in my assumption that no epidural would be core?

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1235
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 05:28:40 AM »

aint sayin nathan

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2018, 06:24:20 AM »

Lenny - I think the idea of buying Polar decks was to support specific dudes that were putting it down in the video. To that end, I'm not sure what the point of this thread is other than to complain about something new. In that case, cool, more rules. It's difficult to keep up.

Just out of curiosity, what brands do you support and what do you do to support them financially? I ask genuinely. Maybe it would be easier if you gave us the model, so we could all spend our money the way you do.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2018, 07:26:43 AM »
I'm not particularly thrilled about the quality of skate shirts. They never fit me right. Besides, a $50 Polar board is more fun than a $40 Polar hat.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2018, 08:23:08 AM »
Are skate shirts really a thing anymore??

somedudefromnj

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2018, 08:30:28 AM »
no way am i paying for an overpriced guildan

your logos sick but no thanks

if you arent printing on bella canvas the answer will always be no

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2196
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2018, 08:42:49 AM »
no way am i paying for an overpriced guildan

your logos sick but no thanks

if you arent printing on bella canvas the answer will always be no
Any shirt printed on a Guildan is a NO. Shrinks weird,fits random. Not worth paying over $10 for,and I haven't seen a skate tee under $20 pretty much ever. I stopped wearing most logo tees years ago,if shops buy their stuff the company makes money. If you buy from the shop then your shop gets money. Support your local,duh. Just because I downloaded a companies recent video doesn't present purchase obligations,otherwise I'd be pretty bummed in some Etnies.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2018, 09:25:38 AM »

Lenny - I think the idea of buying Polar decks was to support specific dudes that were putting it down in the video. To that end, I'm not sure what the point of this thread is other than to complain about something new. In that case, cool, more rules. It's difficult to keep up.

Just out of curiosity, what brands do you support and what do you do to support them financially? I ask genuinely. Maybe it would be easier if you gave us the model, so we could all spend our money the way you do.

Good point on supporting the individual pro. I dont understand your criticism of my ideas though. What do you think I am complaining about and what's the "something new"? Polar has been around for 6 years, and skaters haven't been wearing skate brands (other than shop shirts) for about a decade.

Believe it or not, I wanted to bounce ideas about the thought process of supporting brands. Valuing other people's opinions, crazy right?

If you need to know, I'm 6'4" 200+ pounds with a 14.5 shoe size so there are a lot of people's boards I'm just not skating by default. I'll skate anything PS or generator thats my size. I dont wear a lot of logos but I do have a Hopps shirt, a Polar beanie, that Magenta jacket everone had in 2013, and a Quasi hoodie. Dont know why you assume that I'm acting like an authority figure because I said there's no profit margin on hardgoods.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 02:28:48 PM by Lenny the Fatface »

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2018, 11:46:07 AM »
I'm not particularly thrilled about the quality of skate shirts. They never fit me right. Besides, a $50 Polar board is more fun than a $40 Polar hat.

this, i aint gonna spend 30 40 50 on a shirt/hat or even more on a hoodie that im just gonna sweat in and eventually rip, most of my shirts are usually just plain gildan ones or a few band shirts that are also most likely on gildan blanks lmao - just find it hard justifying shelling out on skate branded clothes when theyre gonna be fucked up fairly quickly.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2018, 11:50:47 AM »
I would support more skate brands by buying their clothing but I'm not gonna pay 90+ Euros for a hoodie. Also the only Polar clothes I've liked was that lavender hoodie and that wasn't available for long. If they'd try to have a bit of a smaller markup on their clothes, they might sell more, at least to me. I have absolutely no problem rocking 100% skate brand stuff as long as I like how it looks but I'm not gonna pay insane amounts for it, so I'll buy it on sale or buy something cheaper instead.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1069
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2018, 01:49:08 PM »
Sake clothing has always been high price and low quality. I did wear a lot of LRG at one point because they sold it at Burlington coat factory.

Also skate clothing trends don’t reflect what I’m in too.

fs overkrook

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2018, 02:19:56 PM »
As an adult you don’t even have to support any companies. Just tell all the little kids what’s cool and their parents will buy it for them. Boom.

Yibb-Tstll

• Rep: 52
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2018, 03:42:27 PM »
It's hard for me to support a brand by buying their 40$ Gildan shirt when bands I support do it for 15$, going through the same process/fees and a struggling music industry. I'd rather buy boards/physical copies of videos etc

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2018, 04:23:03 PM »
As an adult, I'm pretty much into the no logos thing unless it was free.  Skate shop gear can be cool.  Many of them have good design and do collaborations with local artists. 

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2018, 06:46:11 PM »
Polar soft goods are super expensive. Quality is great but makes sense to buy a deck versus $120.00 pair of denim.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

WarmUpZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2018, 08:26:46 AM »
Getting paid to skateboard exists solely through sponsorship (and I guess some prize money for a select few). So, if a brand's product doesn't sell more based on a association with a skateboarder, there is no incentive for the brand to pay the skateboarder to be associated with it.

This gets really difficult for skate brands that only make money from selling skateboard products and accessories where there is very little money to be made these days. This is why brands like Red Bull or Nike are paying the big dollars... they make huge profits from selling a universally popular product. Board brands sell a niche product and barely make enough revenue to pay a living wage to a pro.

This makes it essential to support the board brands you want to succeed. And, yes, if you do the math these brands make more profit from selling soft goods than hard goods. Not only that, the logos on the shirts and hats promote the brand a lot more than the deck graphics.

I'm continually disappointed by the amount of Adidas and Nike logo clothing I see at the skatepark. Sure, buy the shoes if you like the shoes, but you don't need to promote that brand with every article of clothing. I really don't think a Nike logo hat is a better hat.

With all this in mind, it is easy to see a day coming soon where board brands are more or less a thing of the past. Shoe companies (all 3 of them), energy drink and soda sponsors, and whatever other corporate product decides to enter the sponsorship market will determine the pros since they pay the money. This is also how the Olympics is going to shift things... it will make some skaters household names and give corporations incentive to pay them to rock those logos. Nora is about to get a lot of corporate sponsorship opportunities. One month's check from a brand like Nabisco will be bigger than a year or checks from Welcome. Why ride for Welcome at all (from a financial standpoint)? It will be sad to see professionals decked out in logos like a Nascar car, but we are clearly already headed there.

And seeing here on this SLAP thread how we are all posting how proud we are to not wear board brand logos on our clothing, it is easy to understand why board brands put all their marketing towards a different demographic. We may ridicule Darkstar for being in toy stores, or Revive, but they know they will make more money from Moms than jaded, logo-free middle aged skater men like me.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

Vert Reynolds

• Rep: -32
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2018, 09:35:30 PM »
the only Logos you can wear in the Olympics is the shoes youre wearing....All doods are gonna be wearing full pads too and there isnt gonna be any stickers allowed on those helmets ETC
Do You even Street Style ???

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2018, 05:13:29 AM »

aint sayin nathan

That dude's got hella sponsors AND a sick art career.  Dope.