Author Topic: music documentaries  (Read 10379 times)

behavioralguide

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
music documentaries
« on: August 31, 2018, 03:50:56 AM »
post (good) music documentaries here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsRpS6XGiOs

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
Re: music documentaries
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 05:07:25 AM »
Is this the first thread about this?

I love music documentaries! This is good and it is on Netflix:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moOQXZxriKY

This one is really cool. Terry Zwigoff's documentary "Crumb" is also very fascinating.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEFVwlpGkm0

"Anvil! The Story of Anvil" will make feel sad and happy at the same time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umAxeO-QfmY

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 05:17:03 AM »

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 09:27:27 AM »

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
  • No sense makes sense.
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 02:41:29 PM »
Anvil one is great!
DIG! The BJM and the Dandy Warhols doco is rad too!
Theres a gnarly gg allin one knocking about to!
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 06:30:15 PM »
my homie mentioned this fela kuti doc
might be called "music is the weapon"

not sure

but fela is the shit

the stones/godard film sympathy for the devil is ripe with black panther clips/ideologies which is fuuuucking cool
definitely worth a watch

man i love some godard

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 06:49:59 PM »
I actually really dug the Kurt Cobain one "Soaked in bleach". I was super young when he died and never really got into Nirvana past a few songs from nevermind, but I loved that doc. He was definitely murdered.

The Jay Reatard doc made me buy a guitar.

There's a Pixies one I saw on YouTube that almost made me cry. It was made right around the first time they all got back together and toured. There's a pretty nerdy girl who is a huge Kim Deal fan and she steals the show at the end.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 08:18:51 PM »
I watch this gem from time to time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G33AcZzZ0pM

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 10:51:58 PM »

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 02:09:28 AM »
I watch this gem from time to time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G33AcZzZ0pM
i like this doc a lot, but what i like most is that the guitar player will never admit that he was in the band. such a good weird line in the sand.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2018, 04:56:43 AM »
Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll - A doc about Chuck Berry. It's mostly interviews with other musicians about how great he is.

Don't Look Back - Bob Dylan was followed by the film maker during his tour of England. Joan Baez is in there as well as Donovan. In the outtakes from the special edition there is a scene where Dylan is riding in a cab with The Beatles which is pretty wild.

End of the Century - Ramones doc which is kinda depressing because Johnny Ramone is such a dick, but it's still a good watch.

Not exactly a documentary, but 24 Hour Party People tells the story of Factory Records and it's a cool story and the movie is fucking funny as well.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 05:02:27 AM by beatifk »

Yibb-Tstll

• Rep: 52
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2018, 06:02:44 AM »
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 06:04:34 AM by Yibb-Tstll »

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2018, 06:45:07 AM »
damn i forgot about such hawks
that one was neat

until the light takes us - kinda soso black metal doc

i saw the pixies right when they started touring again so that doc is a must watch for me thanks jb
still funny to me their drummer is also a magician

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2018, 09:11:02 AM »
"Long Strange Trip" on Amazon Prime is really well done if you're into the Grateful Dead.

Even if you're not, it's still pretty fucking fascinating.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2018, 02:55:50 PM »
rude boy has good clash footage and is partly documentary.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2018, 12:38:33 AM »

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2018, 07:49:28 AM »
2 classics for those who like slow heavy music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkdmwKXNXAQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDK6ECp-6Zc

Slow southern Steel is a good one...

Vice did a pretty solid mini doc on Eyehategod...
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

smackenzie

• Rep: 10
    • Blog avatar image
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2018, 08:41:28 PM »
Watched this one awhile back on some sketchy free movie site, was pretty good. Dude just lived music, till the very end. Shame he didn't live long enough to see all of his work get released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uziDEMpJmAo

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2018, 02:13:13 AM »
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2018, 05:10:56 AM »
Dig!
Beware of Mr. Baker (watch this!!!!)
We Jam Econo
The Decline of Western Civilization
The Devil and Daniel Johnson
You're Gonna Miss Me (Roky Erikson)
Gimme Shelter
My Name is Albert Ayler

there's an MC5 documentary called "A True Testimonial" that's supposed to be amazing but never got released to do fighting between the makers and band members.  It occasionally shows up online but disappears quickly.

hangontoyourego

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2018, 05:40:07 PM »
https://youtu.be/sivc-uxkcu0

Just watched this one about kyuss abs all the desert rock music as well as some rad clips is the nude bowl .

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2018, 07:37:59 AM »
Recently watched Gimme Danger, the Stooges documentary.  It was ok.... nothing new if you are already a Stooges fan.  Pretty underwhelming considering they're the greatest rock and roll band ever.  Was hoping for some unearthed live footage but nay.  Still, worth watching just because they're The motherfucking Stooges.

That led me to Looking for Johnny: The Legend of Johnny Thunders, which I ended up really enjoying.  A lot of great footage of the Heartbreakers, great interviews... He really was an awesome guitarist and songwriter.  Heroin is one hell of a drug.

The only gripe would be there is must've been a rights issue, because there wasn't one New York Dolls song in the whole movie (except Give Him A Great Big Kiss, which is a cover).  Strangely, you hardly notice.

(i've noticed this can be a thing in music documentaries, where the cover a subject but can't use the subjects music i.e. The Gun Club, David Bowie, etc).

hangontoyourego

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2018, 08:12:53 AM »
Recently watched Gimme Danger, the Stooges documentary.  It was ok.... nothing new if you are already a Stooges fan.  Pretty underwhelming considering they're the greatest rock and roll band ever.  Was hoping for some unearthed live footage but nay.  Still, worth watching just because they're The motherfucking Stooges.

That led me to Looking for Johnny: The Legend of Johnny Thunders, which I ended up really enjoying.  A lot of great footage of the Heartbreakers, great interviews... He really was an awesome guitarist and songwriter.  Heroin is one hell of a drug.

The only gripe would be there is must've been a rights issue, because there wasn't one New York Dolls song in the whole movie (except Give Him A Great Big Kiss, which is a cover).  Strangely, you hardly notice.

(i've noticed this can be a thing in music documentaries, where the cover a subject but can't use the subjects music i.e. The Gun Club, David Bowie, etc).

Thunders doc was terrific  . I’ve been a big fan of him  for a while . His solo acoustic stuff is amazing . Have you ever listened to “hurt me “ LP? I absolutely love his version of eve of destruction . Amazon prime has some good docs I want to see like gbv & I think they one about grant hart

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2018, 09:12:04 AM »
Dig!
Beware of Mr. Baker (watch this!!!!)
We Jam Econo
The Decline of Western Civilization
The Devil and Daniel Johnson
You're Gonna Miss Me (Roky Erikson)
Gimme Shelter
My Name is Albert Ayler

there's an MC5 documentary called "A True Testimonial" that's supposed to be amazing but never got released to do fighting between the makers and band members.  It occasionally shows up online but disappears quickly.

I watched PART 2 recently, its fucking hilarious! I never realised this was the source of the infamous Chris Holmes (wasp guitarist) Interview..

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2018, 01:36:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thunders doc was terrific  . I’ve been a big fan of him  for a while . His solo acoustic stuff is amazing . Have you ever listened to “hurt me “ LP? I absolutely love his version of eve of destruction . Amazon prime has some good docs I want to see like gbv & I think they one about grant hart

No i haven't.  I've never ventured past 'So Alone' but the doc definitely wanted me to check some of his other stuff out.  I'll check that one out, thanks!

Yeah I was watching these on amazon prime....  I didn't know about GBV?  There's a bunch I'm interested in like Mudhoney, Damned, L7, etc. 

hangontoyourego

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2018, 01:40:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

No i haven't.  I've never ventured past 'So Alone' but the doc definitely wanted me to check some of his other stuff out.  I'll check that one out, thanks!

Yeah I was watching these on amazon prime....  I didn't know about GBV?  There's a bunch I'm interested in like Mudhoney, Damned, L7, etc.

Fair warning the gbv is awesome but it’s 4 hours long after 2.5 hours I need to take a break .

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2018, 08:04:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Fair warning the gbv is awesome but it’s 4 hours long after 2.5 hours I need to take a break .

Have you checked out 'All Dolled Up' yet??  It's another New York Dolls doc I stumbled across on amazon prime and it's incredible.. not really a documentary but more a tour diary.  Amazing footage, tons of backstage stuff... almost hilarious how rock star these guys were considering their record didn't really sell and hardly anybody knew who they were outside of New York.  David Johnasen was a smooth motherfucker.

Fucking amazing live footage, though.. powerful band and it really made me realize how shitty the production on their second album is, cause the live versions are so much ballsier. 

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2018, 09:30:47 AM »
the arthur kane documentary is decent as well for new york dolls though it's centered on him.

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2018, 02:01:35 PM »
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.