Author Topic: music documentaries  (Read 10380 times)

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
Re: music documentaries
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2018, 08:54:35 PM »
https://youtu.be/sivc-uxkcu0

Just watched this one about kyuss abs all the desert rock music as well as some rad clips is the nude bowl .

Just finished this and loved it. I was introduced to Fu Manchu from one of the Tony Hawk games and found Queens from One Step Beyond and the extras of The End DVD. Both those bands we're some of my earliest musical obsessions and some of the few from my childhood that I still enjoy today. I've been a fan of Kyuss for a long time too, but other than the bands that came out of Kyuss, I really knew nothing about desert rock. I've got a lot of Mario Lalli to catch up on.

Overall this was great. Even if you're not into this kind of music, I think all skateboarders would appreciate this film. Above all that, as stupid as this might sound, it just makes me proud of what people have done just for the sake of enjoying themselves, their friends and their communities. I can't imagine how fucking cool that scene must've been.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2018, 10:34:17 PM »
Expand Quote

Just watched this one about kyuss abs all the desert rock music as well as some rad clips is the nude bowl .
[close]

Just finished this and loved it. I was introduced to Fu Manchu from one of the Tony Hawk games and found Queens from One Step Beyond and the extras of The End DVD. Both those bands we're some of my earliest musical obsessions and some of the few from my childhood that I still enjoy today. I've been a fan of Kyuss for a long time too, but other than the bands that came out of Kyuss, I really knew nothing about desert rock. I've got a lot of Mario Lalli to catch up on.

Overall this was great. Even if you're not into this kind of music, I think all skateboarders would appreciate this film. Above all that, as stupid as this might sound, it just makes me proud of what people have done just for the sake of enjoying themselves, their friends and their communities. I can't imagine how fucking cool that scene must've been.

might be before your time but remember when they used a fu manchu song in the transworld 4wd video?

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2018, 05:30:09 AM »
yeah, that was a few years before my time. i got into skating around 2000-01.

hangontoyourego

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2018, 02:15:40 PM »
glad you guys liked it , i was pleasantly surprised especially  looking at the cover photo . i got into qotsa right before the 2nd lp came out rated r . I think the 1st qotsa is one of the greatest LP's . it's perfect all the way through . have you ever heard the unida ep or slo-burn ?
https://youtu.be/Qy1UmMkfPsA
https://youtu.be/rgxDPW1cCtI
they both feature john garcia who sang for kyuss.

https://youtu.be/lFp1EFE3uqI love the VH song by fu manchu

LB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 57
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2018, 06:24:39 AM »

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2018, 12:10:48 PM »
Westway To The World
The Clash. Not the deepest dive but Joe was still alive when they made it and his interviews are good, as are Mick's and Paul's. See also: Joe Strummer: The Future Is Unwritten

Ramones: End of the Century
Depressing and they hated each other. They all died after it was made. Still worth it for the high parts.

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
One of a few Wilco documentaries. Benefits from being focused on one album.

Cocksucker Blues
Roadie sexually assaults groupie, Stones can get away with anything.

hangontoyourego

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2018, 01:21:07 PM »
Westway To The World
The Clash. Not the deepest dive but Joe was still alive when they made it and his interviews are good, as are Mick's and Paul's. See also: Joe Strummer: The Future Is Unwritten
love this one

Depressing and they hated each other. They all died after it was made. Still worth it for the high parts.

Cocksucker Blues
loved  this one as well . stones are my fav group & exile on main st is a phenomenal record  .

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2018, 01:54:51 PM »
Westway To The World

Cocksucker Blues

Damn... waay back in the day I paid a lot of money to get a VHS copy of this.  it was super hard to find and boots were the only way to go.  It's really not even all that great, not even a documentary as much as it is a tour diary.  Mick Jones-era Stones are the shit so worth a watch.

fickdiepolizei666

• Rep: -7
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2018, 03:19:00 PM »
I really dig this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr_RaCM-1ug

and I think someone mentioned it before, The Devil and Daniel Johnston.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2018, 08:52:48 AM »
The Amy Winehouse documentary and the Oasis one that were both on Amazon are excellent, and I normally couldn't give a shit about either subject.

Bonehead and Guigsy have got to be the luckiest two morons in the UK.

Buck Bundy

• Rep: 38
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2018, 08:25:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I watched this purely from your comment that skateboarders would like it. You weren’t lying!  10/10 would recommend!

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2019, 08:20:37 PM »

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2019, 07:56:26 AM »

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2019, 08:25:49 AM »
Watched "All in the Family" on Amazon,guess it's on showtime direct,but GG Allin's brother Merle is stuck in the glory days. It was insightful a bit into GG's past familywise,but overall sort of tragic and slow paced. Going to watch the Mentors Kings of Sleaze next

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2019, 03:56:04 PM »
Amazon has quite a few great low budget docs...

Recently watched the Mad Marc Rude documentary.  Pretty low budget and mostly just interviews with people who knew him.  For those who don't know, MM Rude was a legendary punk hellraiser/amazing punk artist (he did the Misfits Earth AD album and Batallion of Saints first album).  Just a ton of interesting stories about drugs, violence and raging.  He was an amazing artist, though.
It includes a crazy story about how he once attacked Chevy Chase on some TV variety show... Chevy came out making fun of them and according to the interviews, Mad Marc took him down.  Did some online digging and that's not exactly how it went down;  looks like Chevy took em on.

around 6:50 mark
http://www.vulture.com/2012/07/chevy-chase-once-dressed-like-a-punk-and-proceeded-to-fight-punks.html

Watched the Mudhoney doc.. pretty entertaining if you like Mudhoney (which I do, a lot).  Nothing too amazing.. a bunch of dudes who loved the Stooges and all got along and never OD'd; not your usual rock documentary.  Interesting antidotes about Sub Pop and a stoked for a Scientists/Beasts of Bourbon mention.  A little skating in it, too.

Sex Pistols 'Never Mind The Bollocks' doc.. mostly just about the recording/release of the album.  Pretty interesting as it mostly focuses on music, none of the other stuff that usually accompanies other Sex Pistols doc's.  Interviews with all the surviving members and there are all pretty friendly and candid and say nice things about each other, which is also different.  Made me revisit how unbelievably good that album is.  Fuck all that 'Sex Pistols were a boy band' shit... sure they were put together/marketed by a manager but they wrote all their own music and made one of the greatest albums, ever.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2019, 10:19:19 PM »

Recently watched the Mad Marc Rude documentary.  Pretty low budget and mostly just interviews with people who knew him.  For those who don't know, MM Rude was a legendary punk hellraiser/amazing punk artist (he did the Misfits Earth AD album and Batallion of Saints first album).  Just a ton of interesting stories about drugs, violence and raging.  He was an amazing artist, though.
It includes a crazy story about how he once attacked Chevy Chase on some TV variety show... Chevy came out making fun of them and according to the interviews, Mad Marc took him down.  Did some online digging and that's not exactly how it went down;  looks like Chevy took em on.

http://www.vulture.com/2012/07/chevy-chase-once-dressed-like-a-punk-and-proceeded-to-fight-punks.html

Watched the Mudhoney doc.. pretty entertaining if you like Mudhoney (which I do, a lot).  Nothing too amazing.. a bunch of dudes who loved the Stooges and all got along and never OD'd; not your usual rock documentary.  Interesting antidotes about Sub Pop and a stoked for a Scientists/Beasts of Bourbon mention.  A little skating in it, too.

Sex Pistols 'Never Mind The Bollocks' doc.. mostly just about the recording/release of the album.  Pretty interesting as it mostly focuses on music, none of the other stuff that usually accompanies other Sex Pistols doc's.  Interviews with all the surviving members and there are all pretty friendly and candid and say nice things about each other, which is also different.  Made me revisit how unbelievably good that album is.  Fuck all that 'Sex Pistols were a boy band' shit... sure they were put together/marketed by a manager but they wrote all their own music and made one of the greatest albums, ever.

agree 100%. well, the original bassist wrote most of it but steven jones was a great guitarist. and sid vicious was just kind of a tragic character. they should have stuck with glen.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 10:21:54 PM by ChuckRamone »

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2019, 06:01:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

agree 100%. well, the original bassist wrote most of it but steven jones was a great guitarist. and sid vicious was just kind of a tragic character. they should have stuck with glen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDN3tAb-vbY

Steve Jones rips. I love this video where he goes through the riffs from Never Mind the Bollocks. It's funny because he keeps saying how he didn't know how to play, but some of those riffs are not easy at all. I gave Problems a shot a while back and could not make it sound good.

I'll have to check out that doc this weekend.

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2019, 12:53:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Steve Jones rips. I love this video where he goes through the riffs from Never Mind the Bollocks. It's funny because he keeps saying how he didn't know how to play, but some of those riffs are not easy at all. I gave Problems a shot a while back and could not make it sound good.

that clip was great! never seen that before. good find

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2019, 02:03:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

that gets brought up more than a few times... that kicking Glenn Matlock out was a mistake.  If anything the documentary makes it seem like they really wanted to be a functioning band and Malcom McClaren was doing everything he could to cause a bunch of mayhem and fuck it up.

Youtube has the new Radio Birdman documentary!!  Definitely worth a watch, a little long but they were a really awesome band.  A lot of great photos and live footage, apparently they didn't get along too well with the other Aussie big-names in punk at the time (Saints, Boys Next Door). 

Watched the Death doc on Amazon Prime.  Pretty low-budget but entertaining enough, not a lot of live footage and I would've loved to hear more about the early years.  I LOVE that first wave/demo-era of Death Metal when it was just a bunch of heshers in their mom's garage.  Still kinda crazy how they basically got up in running in the suburban towns outside of Oakland like Antioch and Danville. 

WordIsBondo

• Rep: 6
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2019, 05:24:42 PM »
https://youtu.be/dkxv3H_ebcY

Not quite a documentary, but definitely worth the watch.
https://youtu.be/6-UCLiQ5EdQ

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2019, 11:58:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

that clip was great! never seen that before. good find

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQbFNlbX-Jg

another pretty good one if ya care to watch.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2019, 06:25:21 PM »
Watched the Death doc on Amazon Prime.  Pretty low-budget but entertaining enough, not a lot of live footage and I would've loved to hear more about the early years.  I LOVE that first wave/demo-era of Death Metal when it was just a bunch of heshers in their mom's garage.  Still kinda crazy how they basically got up in running in the suburban towns outside of Oakland like Antioch and Danville.
I didn't know about this but I definitely need to watch this. Another thing I love about the development of early DM is that, from what I understand, Cannibal Corpse sorta operated in a vacuum in Buffalo, NY. Then that the sound is developed even more at Morrisound in Florida. Just this totally new genre of music that develops in the margins of small and medium sized places in the US that is kind of ignored for a while at home but that catches on all over the rest of the world.

I watched the HR doc Finding Joseph I on Hulu a while back and it was a crusher. It was hard to learn that he had been mentally ill for so damn long.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjY3737m7Xc

Edit: Duh I got my NY Cities mixed up and I couldn't just let it go.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 02:35:46 PM by jakeumms »
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

black coffee

• Rep: 0
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2019, 01:19:54 PM »
Salad Days, this is part 1 the rest is up there

<iframe width="1252" height="704" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JMKYvYAb-Dc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2019, 02:03:10 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGPot3rP53o
That's the doc I was thinking about when I started blabbing about death metal. It's a good one even if you're only interested in the genre and not CC in particular.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

WordIsBondo

• Rep: 6
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2019, 02:57:10 PM »

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2019, 07:57:25 PM »
Color Me Obsessed - The Replacements documentary

Well this doc has two serious negatives going for it... a) no interviews with any of the band members, and b)  absolutely no live footage or music from the band.  Regardless of that, it was still a pretty entertaining doc, especially since I've always been a marginal fan and this has me listening and liking them a lot more.

It's done with nothing but interviews and stories from lots of journalists, fans, roadies, soundguys, etc...  a pretty cool mix of people like Steve Albini, Robert Christgeau and a handful of celebrities from the area like David Carr, Tom Arnold, George fucking Wendt (Norm from Cheers) and David Foley. 

Definitely worth watching, especially since it's free on amazon prime.  They really were an awesome band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBh5ZtATqOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXD9sxa1Edo

Grind King Rims

« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2020, 05:45:38 AM »
Bump

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2020, 08:54:29 AM »
Sticky Carpet.
Live Forever.
Rock the Bells.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2020, 01:23:17 AM »
This is a good 90's grunge band.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj1PvipY6bc

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2020, 03:46:16 AM »
Stretch And Bobbito - Radio That Changed Lives, and subsequently Bobbitos autobiographical piece Rock, Rubber, 45's are essential for anyone into 90's hip hop and/or NYC centric stories

Lee Scratch Perry doco
https://youtu.be/cG-FNwBCvO8

There's an 80's Italian hardcore documentary I want to watch but can't find it online.