Author Topic: lame instagram posts by pros  (Read 1486784 times)

Sifter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 48
Re: lame instagram posts by pros
« Reply #8430 on: July 02, 2022, 01:33:06 AM »
goo goo dollin fills his beers up with water

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #8431 on: July 02, 2022, 03:15:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Is he that mad he can’t say that’s gay anymore or call transition tranny?
[close]

I was watching that adidas clip the other day of having like girl skaters in the van with all the bros and it just made me think of how much pro skateboarding in the past would have been such a toxic masculinity fueled alt-frat. This is kinda where Dustin is.

Lol

Groups of men can hang out without it being toxic.

Do you not have any male friends?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

JRF

• Rep: 145
« Reply #8432 on: July 02, 2022, 07:16:25 AM »
Expand Quote
I think that there’s always been elements of the same type of personalities, especially in skateboarding, the new generation is not soft compared to the old. It has the same types of personalities. Look at someone like tyshawn jones, that dude would fit in great during any generation of skateboarding past present and probably the future too. Social media just gives people the easy access to make themselves known by a vast amount of people. I guess its up to the individual wether or not they come off as likeable or insufferable
[close]

I'm impressed when someone comes to hang out with the rabble on SLAP, and I don't want to derail the thread too much or turn this into an AMA, but I'm curious...

Looking back, are you glad social media wasn't as big of thing during your years as a pro? Do you think it would have added extra layers and annoying obligations to the job of pro?  Generally, was it nice to have filmers, editors, skate-journalists help craft your persona in skateboarding or did you feel misrepresented? Would you have been ready to own a public image as a young dude coming up in the scene?

Also feel free to ignore these questions as well. I won't be bummed if you ignore them.

To tell you the truth, I’m am so glad that social media wasn’t really around or relevant during my time. I suck at social media as a grown ass adult, so I can’t even imagine how much worse it would’ve been for me if it was a mandatory part of promoting a skateboard career when I was younger and coming up or even after I was pro. Honestly by the time I had been pro for a couple years I think it would of been hard to mold a social media personality for me that would look cohesive enough to form some sort of personal image+brand image because I was all over the place with who I hung out with in the industry.. my behavior and social life would of been a hard target market . I rode for a board and shoe team, I had a little family of productivity to get video parts and photo coverage. It was pretty much skating mostly with beach, Kurt hayashi filmed the majority of my footage (like 90 percent of my footage that was used) and the magazine coverage I got was almost exclusively shot by Jon humphries. Brad staba, Ethan Fowler and Brian Anderson were the frequent visitors/friends that we would skate with when they came to visit, or vice versa, but I rode for companies that none of those guys were associated with and when I went on tours with my shoe or board companies I would end up hanging out with other pros that had no association with the teams I rode for and it was almost always a different group of people I’d end up with. So I think that the direction and organization that I would hope to put into a social media profile to help me promote my name and keep me relevant would probably ended up being about as organized and successful as a social media page of me promoting my career through a string of edgy “dick pics”! and weird ass post with incoherent text just like that Dustin Dolin post Haha! I don’t know. I wasn’t that good at “self brand management or just plain, flat out self management for that matter. I guess I was a late late bloomer, rationality was always on the horizon, it just took a long time and a lot of poor decisions to arrive at some sort of normalcy
//////////

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8433 on: July 02, 2022, 08:10:31 AM »
Thanks for the thoughtful and honest answer.

I can't imagine coming up in skateboarding and managing an image at the same time. I feel it'd be pretty easy to end up in this thread. (Although, it does seem that the older dudes end up in here more often than the younger ones.)

Some dude did a study on pro rock climbers, it seems being a pro rock climber is less about climbing and more about posting on social media, which would suck.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 08:18:07 AM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

WavyDavy

• Rep: 128
« Reply #8434 on: July 02, 2022, 08:23:46 AM »

I can't imagine coming up in skateboarding and managing an image at the same time. I feel it'd be pretty easy to end up in this thread.

(Although, it does seem that the older dudes end up in here more often than the younger ones.)

I think because younger people are already growing up with social media and see what works and what not.
Most boomers on social media are cringe, even or especially skaters who are too much inside their skate bubbles and have not experience with normal social behavior/careers/etc. I bet  the more successful older pros have social media managers that take care of all that stuff.

DD has at least a younger wife who could have taken more care of him and his IG rants.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 883
« Reply #8435 on: July 02, 2022, 08:32:24 AM »
Not gonna defend Dustin too much because I think he kinda is a dickhead but I happen to be basically from where he is from and (especially for older people) it's very much a if you don't like me call me a dickhead but don't get pissed when I call you a dickhead back kind of place. By many accounts the guy was a dickhead button pusher who often got what he deserved but that's obviously what he likes and probably just feels left out now that people aren't slapping him for over stepping or generally paying him much attention at all.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #8436 on: July 02, 2022, 08:44:01 AM »
It’s sad that peoples skate careers are no longer arbitrarily dictated by whether or not uneducated drug addicts take a shine to you or not

JRF

« Reply #8437 on: July 02, 2022, 01:01:57 PM »

I can't imagine coming up in skateboarding and managing an image at the same time. I feel it'd be pretty easy to end up in this thread. (Although, it does seem that the older dudes end up in here more often than the younger ones.)

Some dude did a study on pro rock climbers, it seems being a pro rock climber is less about climbing and more about posting on social media, which would suck.

I could imagine a lot of the older dudes, if they are still hanging on to a thread of a skateboard career, could end up losing their minds trying to use a social media platform to stay relevant. I know when I first started posting on slap years ago I was trying to hang on to my career even though I had already completely fucked off any chances I had. I won’t lie, it was rough at first coming to terms with the fact that I had nothing left of worth for sponsors to be interested in and knowing that I blew a really good opportunity and that there was really no way that I could fix it.

It’s pretty depressing seeing some of these pros, guys I use to know that are on social media posting weird ass anti-vaccination conspiracy theories and other weird shit like that. You end seeing some crazy ass post from someone you know and its just like “ aww! Man! Really?” Why in the hell would you fall for that shit and then they plaster it all over their profile.

That’s pretty funny about rock climbers! I wonder what it’s like to be a rock climber,, going out on some weird ass photo shoot, posing for a lifestyle rock climb hammer or whatever, haha!
//////////

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #8438 on: July 02, 2022, 01:42:11 PM »
Maybe he happened to catch the final of BATB and was like "Who the fuck are these gronks? Stay out of skateboarding, deadbeats!"
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 88
« Reply #8439 on: July 02, 2022, 01:53:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I could imagine a lot of the older dudes, if they are still hanging on to a thread of a skateboard career, could end up losing their minds trying to use a social media platform to stay relevant. I know when I first started posting on slap years ago I was trying to hang on to my career even though I had already completely fucked off any chances I had. I won’t lie, it was rough at first coming to terms with the fact that I had nothing left of worth for sponsors to be interested in and knowing that I blew a really good opportunity and that there was really no way that I could fix it.

It’s pretty depressing seeing some of these pros, guys I use to know that are on social media posting weird ass anti-vaccination conspiracy theories and other weird shit like that. You end seeing some crazy ass post from someone you know and its just like “ aww! Man! Really?” Why in the hell would you fall for that shit and then they plaster it all over their profile.

That’s pretty funny about rock climbers! I wonder what it’s like to be a rock climber,, going out on some weird ass photo shoot, posing for a lifestyle rock climb hammer or whatever, haha!

JRF? Who dat?

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 695
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8440 on: July 02, 2022, 02:09:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

JRF? Who dat?

Jayme Fortune foo

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 88
« Reply #8441 on: July 03, 2022, 12:05:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

JRF? Who dat?
[close]

Jayme Fortune foo

Sweet

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
« Reply #8442 on: July 09, 2022, 10:49:28 PM »
Feels to me dollin is just talking about vibing. I got vibes pretty hard trying to learn to surf in Bali few summers back. Pretty sure I got cursed out in French and bogan. There’s a down and upside to vibing as far as I see. Skatepark, surf spots, street spots… probably work better when there’s a little vibing. Wasn’t emb and love a big vibe situation?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8443 on: July 10, 2022, 01:56:19 AM »
Feels to me dollin is just talking about vibing. I got vibes pretty hard trying to learn to surf in Bali few summers back. Pretty sure I got cursed out in French and bogan. There’s a down and upside to vibing as far as I see. Skatepark, surf spots, street spots… probably work better when there’s a little vibing. Wasn’t emb and love a big vibe situation?

It sounds to me more like the cycle abuse. 

“Someone treated me shitty when I had no power so I’m excited to extend and improve upon that shitty behavior when I’m in power and encounter someone without it”

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
« Reply #8444 on: July 10, 2022, 05:45:47 AM »
I wouldn’t consider “vibing kooks” or “ball busting”which seems to me is what he’s talking about as abuse especially if your talking about at a spot. If someone or a crew is rude to you then just skate with someone else. I’m sure we’ve all been at the park spot when the over anxious, talkative person who just started skating (or skating again) crashes in on locals and gets a little vibe.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1937
« Reply #8445 on: July 10, 2022, 08:23:42 AM »
i befriended a strange older guy at my local once cause he seemed sad and had no one to skate with. the classic always has a brand new set up and never really uses it type. id invite him out to skate with my friends and once he opened up to us he really turned out to be a piece of shit who just parroted alt right internet stuff and called everyone gay. after i stopped inviting him around there were some vague social media posts about him “being blacklisted from skating for being too soft” please bully strangers you never know who truly deserves it <3

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #8446 on: July 10, 2022, 10:13:00 PM »

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #8447 on: July 10, 2022, 10:22:11 PM »
It’s sad that peoples skate careers are no longer arbitrarily dictated by whether or not uneducated drug addicts take a shine to you or not

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1150
    • My Wife avatar image
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

JamesNtheGntPch

• Rep: 38
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #8449 on: July 11, 2022, 08:38:57 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CfuHaOnJDXi/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

He should pivot to the mobile home market. Mikey Trailer has a good ring to it.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8450 on: July 11, 2022, 08:42:56 PM »

He should pivot to the mobile home market. Mikey Trailer has a good ring to it.

He needs something STABLE

boogs

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1211
  • old and in the way
« Reply #8452 on: July 11, 2022, 08:47:08 PM »

JRF

« Reply #8453 on: July 11, 2022, 08:47:15 PM »

90’s emb situation was pretty damn simple. Don’t be a kook and you won’t get vibed or ran out.
//////////

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8454 on: July 11, 2022, 08:47:32 PM »
He’s starting to get a Bert from Sesame Street shaped head and hair

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 287
« Reply #8455 on: July 12, 2022, 12:03:17 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CfuHaOnJDXi/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
looks like someone spent a lot of money on storage units they aren’t making back

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -258
« Reply #8456 on: July 12, 2022, 12:57:12 AM »

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8457 on: July 12, 2022, 02:31:51 AM »
Mikey Taylor gives the term "horse betting" a completely new meaning

DERBY

• Rep: 310
« Reply #8458 on: July 12, 2022, 04:30:39 AM »

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 817
« Reply #8459 on: July 12, 2022, 07:26:16 AM »
Lmao begging for investors on IG is for sure a good sign of a great businessman that totally isn’t gonna scam you out of your money. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower