Author Topic: lame instagram posts by pros  (Read 1487564 times)

frontsidebackside and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Newphone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -534
Re: lame instagram posts by pros
« Reply #9930 on: March 30, 2023, 06:51:48 AM »
This is just sad

He’s getting older and needs some work, it’s not that uncommon for pros.  Did you expect that he was just going to die trying?

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9931 on: March 30, 2023, 08:17:53 AM »

This is just sad

Depending on how he spent his pro money and if Jamie actually ever wrote him a paycheck since we know the chief loves to exploit his riders, he could be going home to a condo that someone making 105K a year today couldn't afford and he'll only have to work part-time to pull this off.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1211
  • old and in the way
« Reply #9932 on: March 30, 2023, 09:00:45 AM »
This is just sad

nothing wrong with someone looking for work

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 99
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9933 on: March 30, 2023, 09:39:53 AM »
i think it’s sad b/c tommy broke himself off for almost two decades, was a huge name in the industry, and now doesn’t have the financials to show for it. that no one during his career took him aside and gave him some advice on how to continue working in the industry after his body starts to decline is really disappointing. so many guys when their time is up get opportunities at the brands they’ve been loyal to forever. it’s sad tommy doesn’t get that chance. he’s the physical embodiment of zero and it’s a shame he can’t continue on with them in some way behind the scenes.

How many jobs have you had where the people you worked for “took you aside and gave you advice” on what to do with your earnings and your future?!?? What you do with your future and your earnings is up to you. Also, the percentage of skaters that get a job with the brand they skated for is quite minimal. “So many guys” is NOT as many as you would think. Plenty disappear into obscurity.
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #9934 on: March 30, 2023, 09:50:41 AM »
Expand Quote
i think it’s sad b/c tommy broke himself off for almost two decades, was a huge name in the industry, and now doesn’t have the financials to show for it. that no one during his career took him aside and gave him some advice on how to continue working in the industry after his body starts to decline is really disappointing. so many guys when their time is up get opportunities at the brands they’ve been loyal to forever. it’s sad tommy doesn’t get that chance. he’s the physical embodiment of zero and it’s a shame he can’t continue on with them in some way behind the scenes.
[close]

How many jobs have you had where the people you worked for “took you aside and gave you advice” on what to do with your earnings and your future?!?? What you do with your future and your earnings is up to you. Also, the percentage of skaters that get a job with the brand they skated for is quite minimal. “So many guys” is NOT as many as you would think. Plenty disappear into obscurity.
Also how do you know if he was or wasn’t given a post-career opportunity at Zero? Maybe he turned it down, or maybe he blew it and got fired. We’re making a lot of assumptions here

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 633
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #9935 on: March 30, 2023, 10:20:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Also how do you know if he was or wasn’t given a post-career opportunity at Zero? Maybe he turned it down, or maybe he blew it and got fired. We’re making a lot of assumptions here
He needs to audition for the live-action Simpsons movie in the Sideshow Bob role.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9936 on: March 30, 2023, 10:28:07 AM »

I agree with your point that there aren't as many dudes who end up as sales reps or some other inside job. Not every pro can expect to be handed a job after their pro career is over. And, sadly, a few aren't qualified for the jobs :(

However, I disagree that there is no responsibility of the employer to pull the riders aside and help them plan for a future. My boss is currently giving advice on housing and investments to myself and my colleague and we're all full-on adults.

When the chief finds some 17 year old to exploit and live in his warehouse, its bullshit. He should, at least once a year, check in on finances and offer advice. And, I don't think independent contractors can have retirement plans, but it doesn't take much to bring in a fidelity rep to an office to tell everyone about their future. Will the 18 year olds listen? Probably not, but exposing them is a moral responsibility for a company living off of the young people jumping down stairs and being "cool."

And, yes the experience of being pro would be an amazing experience (although, pro for Zero sounds shitty, not interested in living in a warehouse while Jamie remodels his beach front property), but it is short lived for many and sadly, "I front-side flipped some gnarly gap" isn't going to help someone get a good job outside of skateboarding.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9937 on: March 30, 2023, 11:29:38 AM »
He could take his LARPing as a limo driver to the next level of becoming a limo driver.  Then he could tell passengers “I tre-flipped such and such gap” while en route.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 287
« Reply #9938 on: March 30, 2023, 11:46:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

most jobs? at the bare minimum most jobs offer you a significant amount of data about their retirement plans. it’s usually a 401k, at least in the US.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9939 on: March 30, 2023, 11:55:54 AM »
this is the problem with being pro. in most jobs, the longer you stay there, the more you make. in skateboarding, its the opposite, and you have even less transferrable skills than a normal job.

I would say Tommy Sandoval was actually a pretty high-tier pro as well, he was in Street League for a bit even. but he never had a good shoe contract unfortunately and this is where a lot of his money could have came from... its too bad he wasnt on VANS or something. your paycheque is not based on skill.

the money you make for MOST board companies probably not great... Keelann Dadd making $120k a year was definintely very top level for a board company to be paying. i imagine someone like Jamie Foy only makes this much for Deathwish per year.

Consider this too - Jake Hayes and Jamie Foy have the same sponsors, Deathwish, Dickies, DLX, and NB#, but I imaigne Jamie makes significantly more because he has a pro shoe on NB and also the red bull sponsorship on top of that. Jamie is one of those "once in a generation" pros that really stands out though. Was thinking about this when reading the Mark Appleyard interview - i would say possibly the entire cast of the "Sorry" video was a very standout pro for that generation. unless you are at this level of popularity (keep in mind Mark is a pretty good looking guy, and Jamie has a very different look being a lot bigger that helps him stand out) you are probably not gonnna make that sick of money (thinking Chris Athans / Jeff Carlyle probably have to work a lot harder to stay afloat - they juts really want to be able to keep skating as long as possible)

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2330
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9940 on: March 30, 2023, 12:06:25 PM »
it doesn't take much to bring in a fidelity rep to an office to tell everyone about their future.

Love the thought of a fidelity rep coming into the Blackbox warehouse to talk to the Zero team about their future. "Permission to share valuable financial advice Chief?"

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9941 on: March 30, 2023, 12:07:40 PM »
this is the problem with being pro. in most jobs, the longer you stay there, the more you make. in skateboarding, its the opposite, and you have even less transferrable skills than a normal job.

I would say Tommy Sandoval was actually a pretty high-tier pro as well, he was in Street League for a bit even. but he never had a good shoe contract unfortunately and this is where a lot of his money could have came from... its too bad he wasnt on VANS or something. your paycheque is not based on skill.

the money you make for MOST board companies probably not great... Keelann Dadd making $120k a year was definintely very top level for a board company to be paying. i imagine someone like Jamie Foy only makes this much for Deathwish per year.

Consider this too - Jake Hayes and Jamie Foy have the same sponsors, Deathwish, Dickies, DLX, and NB#, but I imaigne Jamie makes significantly more because he has a pro shoe on NB and also the red bull sponsorship on top of that. Jamie is one of those "once in a generation" pros that really stands out though. Was thinking about this when reading the Mark Appleyard interview - i would say possibly the entire cast of the "Sorry" video was a very standout pro for that generation. unless you are at this level of popularity (keep in mind Mark is a pretty good looking guy, and Jamie has a very different look being a lot bigger that helps him stand out) you are probably not gonnna make that sick of money (thinking Chris Athans / Jeff Carlyle probably have to work a lot harder to stay afloat - they juts really want to be able to keep skating as long as possible)

Apple yard has once in a generation good looks, I agree.

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 810
« Reply #9942 on: March 30, 2023, 03:53:05 PM »
This is just sad

I see what you're saying but wrong thread. Nothing "lame" about asking for work. Hopefully he lands himself a nice gig.

work_lurker

• Rep: 107
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #9943 on: March 30, 2023, 04:38:52 PM »

He rode for Blackbox companies. Those dudes never got paid well. It all went to Jamie.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
« Reply #9944 on: March 30, 2023, 04:42:46 PM »
clearly Gunz didn't follow these very simple rules

nobody says “rootin tootin” anymore to describe how gas the session was and it makes me sick

Welpok

• Rep: 15
« Reply #9945 on: March 30, 2023, 05:16:06 PM »
Expand Quote
This is just sad

[close]

I see what you're saying but wrong thread. Nothing "lame" about asking for work. Hopefully he lands himself a nice gig.
Agreed, wing place to put this. I was just watching his stuff just today since I'm home from work. I hope that things work out for him.
SLAP: come for the gossip, stay for the lk130 Stylin’ On You attempts

“More celebrities know of me than I know of them.” -James T. Greco

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #9946 on: March 30, 2023, 05:25:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This is just sad

[close]

[close]
Agreed, wing place to put this. I was just watching his stuff just today since I'm home from work. I hope that things work out for him.

A Tommy gunz themed wing stop type restaurant would
Be sick

Micheladas and calling the 20 wing pack the el Toro sized

Die trying challenge eat like some spicy ass wings or something

Makes me think of other restaurants skaters own. Burger she wrote and pizzanista come to mind.  I guess just learning how to run a business is a skill.

nothing's been the since same

A Not At All Naughty Chemist

• Rep: 56
« Reply #9947 on: March 31, 2023, 03:40:43 AM »

I meant sad as in this. Lame as in the state of the industry, not as in lame that he's looking for work. It's just odd how pros in the 00's could make a decent to good living whilst the average skateboarder would be hated and assaulted, but now skateboarding is very populair in the mainstream yet there seems to be less money in it. I didn't want to make a whole thread about it, but i did deem it noteworthy of sharing, hence the post in this thread. Where else should i've posted it?

Bryanferry

• Rep: -43
« Reply #9948 on: March 31, 2023, 04:33:33 AM »
Expand Quote
what’s so awful about that? it’s just tyshawn and someone else eating wings

It’s crab which makes it gross.

But really it’s more persona. Surely thrasher should support promotion of general skateboarding rather than bedroom antics of an extremely select few. Who to be honest feel have been force fed to us for a tad too long

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #9949 on: March 31, 2023, 08:22:32 AM »

Expand Quote
[close]

I meant sad as in this. Lame as in the state of the industry, not as in lame that he's looking for work. It's just odd how pros in the 00's could make a decent to good living whilst the average skateboarder would be hated and assaulted, but now skateboarding is very populair in the mainstream yet there seems to be less money in it. I didn't want to make a whole thread about it, but i did deem it noteworthy of sharing, hence the post in this thread. Where else should i've posted it?

His breakout part in New Blood was 18 years ago. It's nice that skaters have longer careers on average these days but do you really expect skateboarding to support every pro for 2 decades each? It's sad to see anyone begging for part time work through instagram stories but skateboarding has nothing to do with it. People move into different jobs and some fall on hard times
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

ChompskyHonk

• Rep: 8
  • flow state in the bruh dimension
« Reply #9950 on: March 31, 2023, 09:49:24 AM »
every now and then I'll be scrolling through my camera roll and I see a screenshot of the yuto drunk post on his story. definitely not lame but anytime yuto shows any semblance of emotion is earth shattering news. now I just wanna see him fried as fuck because I wonder how weed would affect the Japanese skateGPT program they got him running on

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 99
« Reply #9951 on: March 31, 2023, 10:11:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

most jobs? at the bare minimum most jobs offer you a significant amount of data about their retirement plans. it’s usually a 401k, at least in the US.

I hear what you’re saying but that’s only ONE option given to you by the company you work for. They don’t say, “invest in real estate, maybe start a local biz, what do you like to do -  maybe there are options doing something which you truly believe in”, etc.

Also, why the fuck would you want JTs financial future advice. While he may be well off personally, let’s not forget he tanked a full distro with everything from boards, trucks, wheels, bearings, shoes, etc with a giant warehouse where people lived, had a very ramp, had trade shows, etc., and is essentially selling boards out of his garage now. The only advice financial advice is take from him is “don’t do what I did”.
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2330
« Reply #9952 on: March 31, 2023, 10:39:25 AM »
Also, why the fuck would you want JTs financial future advice. While he may be well off personally, let’s not forget he tanked a full distro with everything from boards, trucks, wheels, bearings, shoes, etc with a giant warehouse where people lived, had a very ramp, had trade shows, etc., and is essentially selling boards out of his garage now. The only advice financial advice is take from him is “don’t do what I did”.

From Mike Sinclair's People I've Known:

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
« Reply #9953 on: March 31, 2023, 10:46:54 AM »
I know there is only a small percentage of pros that do well for themselves from skateboarding. This applies to all companies even if you skate for DLX, Crailtap, Dwindle brands, etc. But who out of the Zero camp has lead a successful life financially aside from The Chief? Chris Cole......and only cause he left Zero and Fallen for Plan B and DC.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 110
« Reply #9954 on: March 31, 2023, 10:55:02 AM »
I know there is only a small percentage of pros that do well for themselves from skateboarding. This applies to all companies even if you skate for DLX, Crailtap, Dwindle brands, etc. But who out of the Zero camp has lead a successful life financially aside from The Chief? Chris Cole......and only cause he left Zero and Fallen for Plan B and DC.

Could just be drawing a blank, but I’m honestly having a hard time thinking of any pro skater from any of those camps that has led a financially successful life besides those that left to start something else

Keep_on_Chooglin

• Rep: 31
« Reply #9955 on: March 31, 2023, 11:01:09 AM »

The number is definitely small. Ellington seems to be doing well.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9956 on: March 31, 2023, 11:01:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Haha I love that this is the one thing Sinclair had about Jamie.  Sinclair is the best

sle_epy

• Rep: -94
« Reply #9957 on: March 31, 2023, 11:05:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Apple yard has once in a generation good looks, I agree.

He's dreamy for sure.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #9958 on: March 31, 2023, 11:14:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Haha I love that this is the one thing Sinclair had about Jamie.  Sinclair is the best
$50 million dollars. FIFTY MILLION DOLLARS.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #9959 on: March 31, 2023, 11:15:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Equally sad and hilarious.

Permission to blow it?