Author Topic: A JENKY INVESTIGATION INTO JONAH HILL’S SKATE PAST  (Read 29049 times)

lilboosie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 226
Re: A JENKY INVESTIGATION INTO JONAH HILL’S SKATE PAST
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2018, 06:12:27 PM »
Y’all are foreal gatekeepers

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2018, 06:15:30 PM »
Were he a bonafide skate rat, he would know that skaters are some of the most judgmental and obsessive people on the planet; and should have anticipated that the movie would draw intense scrutiny from people like us.

A good example:

I saw someone with vertical slide marks on their noise and tail and it disgusted me. Those are not from nose or tail slides. Then there are a few horizontal ones way away from the baseplate and it was just a horror show.  What are you doing to produce those? Stop whatever it is. I won't even get into 45 degree looking board/lip marks.

What’s funny is that I completely understand what he’s talking about:  I’m constantly checking out other people’s slide marks and silently judging them based what I see without even realizing it.   

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2018, 06:19:43 PM »
some of these responses are really pathetic.  someone who skated in their youth made a movie about it.  he's allowed to do that.  you think whoever the fuck directed "The Sandlot" was out playing stickball so he could maintain his integrity?
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2018, 06:51:25 PM »
Fucking trashy loser, no, I don’t identify with piling out so hard you quit skating,

I piled out heavily and hardly skated for years, and to some degree that does indeed make me a kook. At the same time, I also had, for lack of a better term, the "disease" of addiction which prevented me from doing a whole host of things I love. I never said I "quit" any of them though. Especially skateboarding. And I can tell you, laying around for years pissed out of yr head but still managing to keep up with everything current in skating, and wanting to be back out there so bad but not being able to manage your addiction is painful, shameful and regretful. I post about alcoholism too much. I'm not gonna do it anymore.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

Mongoloid

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2018, 07:06:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Fucking trashy loser, no, I don’t identify with piling out so hard you quit skating,
[close]

I piled out heavily and hardly skated for years, and to some degree that does indeed make me a kook. At the same time, I also had, for lack of a better term, the "disease" of addiction which prevented me from doing a whole host of things I love. I never said I "quit" any of them though. Especially skateboarding. And I can tell you, laying around for years pissed out of yr head but still managing to keep up with everything current in skating, and wanting to be back out there so bad but not being able to manage your addiction is painful, shameful and regretful. I post about alcoholism too much. I'm not gonna do it anymore.

Fuck! don't let that asswipe guilt you!

I didn't exactly quit either, and that's kind of the wrong terminology. I started drinking too much, and then got married pretty young, so I had to prioritize other stuff pretty quickly. Lost in the nether of that was skateboarding, but it was never forgotten. I also didn't have the money for it when getting my wife her green card, and moving her life over seas.

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2018, 07:14:57 PM »
“So the next time your neighbor mentions “this new skateboard movie” they read about in the New Yorker, you don’t have go on a triggered rant about how skateboard culture is getting hijacked by outsiders.”

Except that he quit, so he is an outsider. “I useda skate” kooks are worse than people who never started. You had the opportunity to be a skateboarder, and you abandoned it? Biggest kook move imaginable

God forbid he didnt skate forever and pursued other interest... That  was the kind of statement I would expect from a twelve year old or a skate mag editor writing some bs to sound cool.
Skateboarders sound so embarrassing sometimes....

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2018, 07:25:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Fuck! don't let that asswipe guilt you!

I didn't exactly quit either, and that's kind of the wrong terminology. I started drinking too much, and then got married pretty young, so I had to prioritize other stuff pretty quickly. Lost in the nether of that was skateboarding, but it was never forgotten. I also didn't have the money for it when getting my wife her green card, and moving her life over seas.

Oh he didn't guilt me. He's just comic relief for me, bursting blood vessels ranting for no reason half the time. I also don't even care if Jonah Hill is buying in, fine. If he's made a good movie that doesn't seem like cheesy appropriation then good on him. As was said, no skaters have managed to do it. The Supreme jocking can def go though.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

muntcuscle

• Rep: 44
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2018, 07:31:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You guys are such haters! Damned if the kid does, damned if he didn’t. If he lived it for X amount of years, he lived it. You don’t get on girls that can barely kickflip, you harp on about supporting them.

If he’s got genuine love for skateboarding I don’t really see what the problem is. You guys don’t own this.
[close]
Are you being sarcastic? A person who quits skateboarding clearly doesn’t have genuine love for skateboarding. A person who still skates, regardless of how good of a kickflip they have DOES have genuine love for skateboarding.
Like, your argument and your examples are exact opposites. Were you trying to look that stupid, or does it come naturally to you?
[close]

Ignoring nearly everything you wrote, since you bore me.

I quit skating for a time due to piling out, and trying to find my way in life. I thought about skating to the point of dreaming about it often. I still followed and loved it as much as I did when I was out there all day everyday. It’s not such a black and white thing as you’d like to believe it is, but you are who you are, and it’s predictable you’d react the way you have here.
[close]

No, it really is. You quit? You’re a fucking kook. You were too busy piling out? You’re a fucking kook.

Let’s be real, kook, you’re just pissed at my criticism of “Useda skate” because its you.

Let’s be entirely clear too: all those kooks who are supporting you are just kooks supporting kooks.

Real skateboarders don’t quit EVER.

Of course you don’t like me, kooks always have.
But thanks for the new roast quote

you drive to premiers then carry your board inside

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2018, 09:03:09 PM »
You quit skating. Shut the fuck up kook. Your opinion means nothing.

Kook quit skating, then acts like he has credibility! Hahahahahaha, ok kook. Keeping kooking it.

You don’t like what I post? YOU QUIT SKATING

You think I’m a bitch? YOU QUIT SKATING

You think your opinion means anything? YOU QUIT SKATING.

Do you really think you have credibility on a messageboard designed explicitly to talk skating? YOU QUIT SKATING

Fucking trashy loser, no, I don’t identify with piling out so hard you quit skating, I moved to the most expensive region in the world, giving up lots of comforts, to skate, so when somebody tells me they quit skating because they were too busy piling out, I can’t understand what the fuck is wrong with them.

You have ZERO credibility in a thread about what makes a person a legitimate skateboarder, because you fucking aren’t one.
fucking hell mate, go do a yoga class or something ...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2018, 09:23:27 PM »
If someone loves skateboarding enough to nerd out on it hardcore, hang out at a shop in their youth enough to get their face on a board, and make a full-length movie all about skating, and has no physical impairment stopping them from skating at all no matter how much they suck...yeah, it's strange that he doesn't even skate a bit nowadays or have any footage of anything. Looks fake, like much of Hollywood.

On the other hand, Hollywood doesn't allow actors to basically play any sports or do any "dangerous" activities while making a movie. They're contractually obligated not to. He seems busy so maybe he's never allowed to, and he wants to take it easy with the little free time he has.

But still...at least roll around once in a while if you love it so much. And if there's no documentation of him skating while making this specific movie, that's pretty odd. Maybe he doesn't realize how showing the public (not just actual skateboarders) that he can ride would garner him more respect? It worked for Steve Nash and Dave Chappelle.

Tortoise

« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2018, 09:35:21 PM »
ITT

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2018, 09:38:39 PM »
Expand Quote

Kook quit skating, then acts like he has credibility! Hahahahahaha, ok kook. Keeping kooking it.

Do you really think you have credibility on a messageboard designed explicitly to talk skating? YOU QUIT SKATING

Fucking trashy loser, no, I don’t identify with piling out so hard you quit skating, I moved to the most expensive region in the world, giving up lots of comforts, to skate, so when somebody tells me they quit skating because they were too busy piling out, I can’t understand what the fuck is wrong with them.

You have ZERO credibility in a thread about what makes a person a legitimate skateboarder, because you fucking aren’t one.
[close]
fucking hell mate, go do a yoga class or something ...
If johnah comes on here and posts he'll stop,and end up on vacation

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

HotnSpicyMcChicken

• Rep: -40
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2018, 09:46:53 PM »

I'm not trying to be funny or make light of the term I am about to use, but-

you sound mentally ill.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 10:00:59 PM by HotnSpicyMcChicken »

Doom patrol

• Rep: 70
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2018, 09:54:11 PM »
All the talk about how this dude can't kickflip got me thinking about how amazing flat ground kickflips are.
If Jonah likes skateboarding as much as he says he does but can't do a flat ground kickflip I'm not angry about it, I just feel bad for him.

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2018, 11:52:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm not trying to be funny or make light of the term I am about to use, but-

you sound mentally ill.

That's what I was thinking. Gip is always annoying, but damn.

doctorkickflip

« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2018, 08:06:39 AM »

Wtf is wrong with his eyes?

Adobe Photoshop is a raster graphics editor developed and published by Adobe Systems for macOS and Windows. Photoshop was created in 1988 by Thomas and John Knoll. Since then, it has become the de facto industry standard in raster graphics editing, to the point that Photoshop has become a generic trademark leading to its use as a verb such as "to Photoshop an image," "photoshopping" and "photoshop contest", though Adobe discourages such use.

doctorkickflip

« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2018, 08:12:05 AM »

Whoa what happened to the gonz' head??? I'm another one of these dumb guys on this thread who have never heard of any kind of photo editing software.

casper

« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2018, 08:31:40 AM »
No one ever really quits skateboarding. That’s a myth.

cilantro

• human bean
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2018, 09:29:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You guys are such haters! Damned if the kid does, damned if he didn’t. If he lived it for X amount of years, he lived it. You don’t get on girls that can barely kickflip, you harp on about supporting them.

If he’s got genuine love for skateboarding I don’t really see what the problem is. You guys don’t own this.
[close]
Are you being sarcastic? A person who quits skateboarding clearly doesn’t have genuine love for skateboarding. A person who still skates, regardless of how good of a kickflip they have DOES have genuine love for skateboarding.
Like, your argument and your examples are exact opposites. Were you trying to look that stupid, or does it come naturally to you?
[close]

I quit skating for a time due to piling out, and trying to find my way in life. I thought about skating to the point of dreaming about it often. I still followed and loved it as much as I did when I was out there all day everyday. It’s not such a black and white thing as you’d like to believe it is, but you are who you are, and it’s predictable you’d react the way you have here.
[close]

No, it really is. You quit? You’re a fucking kook. You were too busy piling out? You’re a fucking kook.

Let’s be real, kook, you’re just pissed at my criticism of “Useda skate” because its you.

Let’s be entirely clear too: all those kooks who are supporting you are just kooks supporting kooks.

“Real skateboarders...”? Life is tough, skating is sick, stop being a weiner to people who don’t have it as easy as you do. you sound like an angry little ball that doesn’t understand poverty or life injuries, hope you get humbled real quick real soon

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2018, 03:35:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

“Real skateboarders...”? Life is tough, skating is sick, stop being a weiner to people who don’t have it as easy as you do. you sound like an angry little ball that doesn’t understand poverty or life injuries, hope you get humbled real quick real soon
He explicitly said it was due to piling out.
I also get Burt Ward’s point, and he’s coming at it differently. “Yeah, I fucked up and had problems I had to get figured out” is way different than “I quit skating to pile out, but was like, totally just as much a skater as when I actually rode the board.”
I get dark days, I get making mistakes, but what kind of fucking kook brags that they quit skating to pile out, and acts like it has nothing to do with his dedication to it? I actually respect Burt Ward for how he talks about it as if it was a bad thing.

And yeah, all the rest of you acting like the actual act of skating isn’t that important need to get the fuck off a skateboard messageboard and focus more on shit you actually like and respect.

This place has gone to shit, nazis, fake skaters, and kooks are all that’s left. Its like the old transworld boards in here these days.

I’m sure half y’all talking shit this way are “useda skates” who take this personally. You should.
Oh, and wealth has nothing to do with being a skateboarder, I’ve had skateboarder friends who are completely homeless and sleeping in parks or cars. Plenty of my friends live in cheap flop houses so they can be poor and still skate. Your excuse is shit.

Abd Mongloid, you think I talk this way at work? Do you talk the way you talk on here at whatever shitty job you have? If you do, its why your job is shit.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

shripshrapper

« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2018, 03:52:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
I also get Burt Ward’s point, and he’s coming at it differently. “Yeah, I fucked up and had problems I had to get figured out” is way different than “I quit skating to pile out, but was like, totally just as much a skater as when I actually rode the board.”
I get dark days, I get making mistakes, but what kind of fucking kook brags that they quit skating to pile out, and acts like it has nothing to do with his dedication to it? I actually respect Burt Ward for how he talks about it as if it was a bad thing.

And yeah, all the rest of you acting like the actual act of skating isn’t that important need to get the fuck off a skateboard messageboard and focus more on shit you actually like and respect.

This place has gone to shit, nazis, fake skaters, and kooks are all that’s left. Its like the old transworld boards in here these days.

I’m sure half y’all talking shit this way are “useda skates” who take this personally. You should.
Oh, and wealth has nothing to do with being a skateboarder, I’ve had skateboarder friends who are completely homeless and sleeping in parks or cars. Plenty of my friends live in cheap flop houses so they can be poor and still skate. Your excuse is shit.

Abd Mongloid, you think I talk this way at work? Do you talk the way you talk on here at whatever shitty job you have? If you do, its why your job is shit.

You make skating seem like the most bitch ass, whiny, self important thing you could ever do.

KingKook

« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2018, 03:56:50 PM »
Even Justin Beiber is a better representative for skateboarding in the mainstream.
Why would anyone whiteknight for this sac of shit.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2018, 04:01:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

You make skating seem like the most bitch ass, whiny, self important thing you could ever do.
Not self important, just important. And yeah, I believe that.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Tortoise

« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2018, 04:51:32 PM »

https://youtu.be/PXNe7vVTnkw

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2018, 05:28:16 PM »
And yeah, all the rest of you acting like the actual act of skating isn’t that important need to get the fuck off a skateboard messageboard
pot calling the kettle black? You have 25k fucking posts!!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Switch_fsflip_noseslide

• Rep: -27
  • Nobody steals from Creed Bratton
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2018, 05:43:15 PM »
kinda seems like a "kids" type movie knock off. not too many people can direct non actors like larry clarke and harmony korine. I could barely get through an interview of nak because of the way he and other kids talk. reminds me of when people are on pills. anyway, don't think the acting will hold up. that blonde haried chick olan, don't see her blowing the roof off.
"Giovanni Reda sleeps with the fishes"

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2018, 05:44:07 PM »
Saying the word kook in 2018 is equivalent to saying radical....

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2018, 05:46:55 PM »
pretty much just a copy and paste from the other jonah threads.

A.J.K.

« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2018, 06:12:31 PM »
Gip, this may shock you, but: people develop new interests, have demanding careers, can't afford to get injured, don't have a crew to skate with anymore...so many banal but respectable or at least understandable reasons why someone might not skate as much as they could as a kid or young adult. Or, given certain circumstances, at all.

Imagine spending countless hours of your life skating, buying product from local shops, building ramps, and other typical skate rat shit, then getting a bit older and having your priorities change. Yet you still keep up with videos, industry drama, etc....then some dumb fuck on Slap says you're not allowed to follow along anymore because...?...?Talk about the worst kind of cliquey, cool guy shit skating is unfortunately rife with.

Also--it's not like dudes who post up here and don't skate much are milking a pro career and taking up space for the next generation. No harm AT ALL, unless you have the attitude of some anachronistic 'locals only' twerp.

shripshrapper

« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2018, 06:20:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Not self important, just important. And yeah, I believe that.

Playing with any toy (no matter how fun) will never be important.