Author Topic: Black Label  (Read 12880 times)

hurv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Black Label
« on: September 16, 2018, 06:38:25 PM »
  The first skater owned brand, their wood and shapes are top notch. Would love to see them on KOTR. Maybe I live in a bubble (also known as Michigan), but I don't feel like The Label gets their due. Label Killls!

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
Re: Black Label
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 06:16:17 AM »
Always saw the Lucero bars decks in 86, had a "street thing" in 87. Some guys gave me any my boy shit about liking Lucero (cuz he wasn't Hawk, Cab etc). Anyway, we both rode a shit ton of Black Label decks over the years. My dude had 3 label tats. Unfortunately my dude died last year, was my longest skate friend. His wife has a crazy collection of label decks now. Anyway I really enjoyed the late 90s early 2000s. Speyer , Hensley, Grosso, with the young bucks too. Even Vallely too, almost forgot for a sec. God save the label!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 07:12:29 AM by fang »

hurv

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 07:37:01 PM »
  Label Kills is one of the most underrated videos. I still ride their wood regularly, its top notch.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 12:49:46 AM »

hurv

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 07:03:38 PM »
  Yes! I watch Luceros part often before i go skate, im a big fan of curbs.

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 06:15:00 PM »
My favorite company hands down...

411 12 industry section introduced me to the Label, Gagne, Grecos buddy (forgot his name), The Vandals, n I was instantly hooked. At the time people around my area were getting popular companies like Flip, Girl, Etc. but for some reason I was hooked on the Label. Even rode for Pharmacy Boardshop while Herman, Matt Allen, n everyone else were riding shop decks, I just picked the Label boards off the wall n skated those claiming Pharmacy.

Met Wes Lott n Alfaro through CASL contests too (Alfaro was actually tryin to get on Zero initially) then Label Kills came out which killed it introducing me to Jason Adams n the devil goin down to Georgia. That video kinda taught me to just skate everything u could put wheels on.

Now I live in Black Label country (OC/HB) n was stoked to find Lucero shops at my work on occasions n him n Grosso have a good relationship with my local shop (Jokers), laugh that at work I can sling boneless chicken breast n have a short Q n A with him about the Post Office Curb, pickin up Franky Villani at the time, n wonderin on the whereabouts of Alfaro...

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 06:44:05 AM »

411 12 industry section introduced me to the Label, Gagne, Grecos buddy (forgot his name), The Vandals, n I was instantly hooked. At the time people around my area were getting popular companies like Flip, Girl, Etc. but for some reason I was hooked on the Label. Even rode for Pharmacy Boardshop while Herman, Matt Allen, n everyone else were riding shop decks, I just picked the Label boards off the wall n skated those claiming Pharmacy.

Met Wes Lott n Alfaro through CASL contests too (Alfaro was actually tryin to get on Zero initially) then Label Kills came out which killed it introducing me to Jason Adams n the devil goin down to Georgia. That video kinda taught me to just skate everything u could put wheels on.
Now I live in Black Label country (OC/HB) n was stoked to find Lucero shops at my work on occasions n him n Grosso have a good relationship with my local shop (Jokers), laugh that at work I can sling boneless chicken breast n have a short Q n A with him about the Post Office Curb, pickin up Franky Villani at the time, n wonderin on the whereabouts of Alfaro...
Where the fuck is Alfaro?

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 02:27:25 PM »
I've been itching to by a Black Label lately, I love the fact that Lucero is still running it out of his garage.

I always considered Black Label an almost pre-Anti Hero (before anti hero was around, obviously).  Not just because they had Cardiel, but Skip Pronier, Coco Santiago (I proudly had/still have his board at my house), Brian Chung, Upson, Shawn Martin.  That was a sick and burly ass team. 

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 03:32:42 PM »
This 411VM part is great. I bought so many Label decks during this era (before they went to China).

https://youtu.be/4Fw5Y1BVt2c

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 06:34:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Wish I knew, when I asked Lucero that question a couple years ago he shook his head n said he wished Alfaro was skatin more...

Nostalgic for this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXYKEAfe8o4&t=12s

FOGDOG

• Rep: 10
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 02:14:47 PM »
Label Kills was probably the most influential/nostalgic video for me. I couldn't do flip tricks as a kid and was super into punk rock so that video was everything I was looking for. Jason Adam's part is my all time favorite video part.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 01:39:31 AM »
Black Label was pretty hot in my area in the early naughts because they had just put out Label Kills and Black Out around the time the internet came around here, so those were easy P2P downloads right next to This Is Skateboarding, Sorry / Really Sorry or PJWHL. My friends and I were hyped on those, especially the soundtrack. A lot of us had Black Label decks because they felt like the most honest product to have around that time, although they were poorly distributed and hard to get in France. One of my friends in particular skated 8.25 Black Labels with no grip tape (his choice, I know) for a while when everyone else was stuck on 7.5's and 7.75 and people would give him so much shit for his 'vert board'. I don't recall ever getting one myself, but I did skate a second hand Six Gun at one point.

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 12:55:11 PM »
i skated a shit tonne of label boards, black out was my favourite vid for years. fully back the Label!

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2018, 03:17:54 PM »
  Label Kills is one of the most underrated videos. I still ride their wood regularly, its top notch.

Their wood has changed several times though ??? While I worked for their distro they went from PS, to BBS for quite a while, to something else now. Only switched from BBS in the last couple years.

Black Label is a funny one. Completely random team throughout their whole existence, and a consistent cycle of putting out one series of awesome graphics and then 3 seasons of stuff that ends up on the sale rack.

Lucero seems rad. It's sad to see Black Label on it's last legs. I've been noticing the Canadian distro only keeps a few graphics in stock for the whole country, and it looks like 3 boards in each stack. That means they're probably selling less than 50 - 100 decks in a whole yeah in Canada. Ouch.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2018, 05:40:03 AM »
i had a label board not too long ago and literally everytime i went out skating someone would go "holy shit is that a blacklabel? that's fucking rad." it was a jason adams board. i have a hensley board quened up to be skated too. god save da labull.
good come sausage

dirtywork81

• Rep: 16
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2018, 10:58:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
Wish I knew, when I asked Lucero that question a couple years ago he shook his head n said he wished Alfaro was skatin more...

Nostalgic for this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXYKEAfe8o4&t=12s

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2016/01/04/meet-skateboardings-former-demon-child-knox-godoy/

In this interview with Knox Godoy he mentioned Alfaro was in prison with him. I think Alfaro was dealing with some pretty heavy drug issues. Hope he managed to get clean.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2018, 04:28:25 PM »
Method acting to finally become Alva?
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Ned Providence

• Rep: 13
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2018, 10:10:42 AM »
Huge fan here is one of my favorites!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pArrVpJdvSs

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2018, 11:37:53 AM »
For real Black Label was huge when I started skating. I loved watching Black Out, that Ragdoll part is a classic for me. I had quite a few of their boards and they were all great. Back in Black is their best video IMO, Such good parts from everyone, great soundtrack, the friends section and of course Alfaros epic closing part. Still watch that shit on the regs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7O5KNaMdoY

jakersacres

• Rep: 8
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2018, 07:05:22 AM »
Label Kills is Godly. That Jason Adams part is still untouchable, and probably the greatest opener to a video ever.

_estababy

• Rep: 2
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2019, 09:28:51 AM »
who tf rides for the label now. im assuming some hesh nigga

PatoDuck

• Rep: -31
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2019, 11:46:47 AM »
I need one

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2019, 10:48:58 PM »
Two decks I had really early on were black label decks. One was a Matt Hensley drawn deck I wish I would have kept and the other was just a black and yellow never forget deck

ohnowisee

• Rep: -2
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2019, 06:12:56 PM »
Got my first label back in 99/00 or something like that after like 5 years of Maple/Girl boards.  My all time favorite board.  Haven't skated anything like it since.
Ilford is way more core than Kodak - natenola forever

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2019, 09:57:48 PM »
I found Blackout at Goodwill for only $2 awhile back which was a welcomed surprise, such a classic video...
https://youtu.be/F1XRLaB0-Cs

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2019, 06:28:30 AM »
Black Out still holds up. Glad they're still around although I hardly see them out in the wild. Hassan still killing it.

Keep_on_Chooglin

• Rep: 29
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2019, 01:13:16 PM »
But really, what did ever happen to Alfaro? Behind Jason Adams, he had my favorite part in Label Kills.

curbslayer

• Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2019, 01:21:14 PM »
Who would be a good fit to save the label ? they need some new blood now that auby left .

talklessSkateMore

• Rep: -40
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2019, 05:13:28 PM »
Who would be a good fit to save the label ? they need some new blood now that auby left .

A $54 zumiez board
it said to learn how to tie for a reason.
This is all structured as a trap.
Tied by those who know the fundamentals.