Author Topic: Is this board good?  (Read 1762 times)

lowdawg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Is this board good?
« on: September 21, 2018, 12:52:49 PM »
TL;DR in middle
I'm gonna start of and say that I am a beginnner. But recently I have built an interest in skating mainly from seeing a guy skate while i walk home from school and the braille skateboarding youtube channel.
Anyways, I want to buy a longboard from just cruising going to and from school. There's downhills on both journeys and if I skate not only will i be able to reduce my journey time but I'll be able to take it on the coach without being intrusive like a bike is.

TL;DR : I want to buy a complete Longboard

I found  this(https://www.skatehut.co.uk/longboards/complete_longboards/mindless_longboard_tribal_rogue_ii_limited_edition_green.htm) on skatehut and was wondering whether it would be a good buy.
I only have a £50 budget but I do plan on buying some Bones red bearings and they seem to be praised by everyone so the bearings do not need to be good.
However, I do not have the budget nor time to buy a custom board so can you advise me whether this would be a good board or not, keep in mind I'll only be using it for cruising and not for tricks at all except maybe a manual to go down from curbs.
If you do not think this is good at all can you advise me on a longboard in the same price range, i just need one with a good board and trucks as well as a similar size to the one I have linked.
Bearings and wheels I'll be able to upgrade if i need to later on.

Thanks all for the help.

t0mmywr1ght3rd

• Rep: 2
Re: Is this board good?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 12:58:17 PM »
:o

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 12:38:21 PM »
TL;DR in middle
I'm gonna start of and say that I am a beginnner. But recently I have built an interest in skating mainly from seeing a guy skate while i walk home from school and the braille skateboarding youtube channel.
Anyways, I want to buy a longboard from just cruising going to and from school. There's downhills on both journeys and if I skate not only will i be able to reduce my journey time but I'll be able to take it on the coach without being intrusive like a bike is.

I found  this(https://www.skatehut.co.uk/longboards/complete_longboards/mindless_longboard_tribal_rogue_ii_limited_edition_green.htm) on skatehut and was wondering whether it would be a good buy.
I only have a £50 budget but I do plan on buying some Bones red bearings and they seem to be praised by everyone so the bearings do not need to be good.
However, I do not have the budget nor time to buy a custom board so can you advise me whether this would be a good board or not, keep in mind I'll only be using it for cruising and not for tricks at all except maybe a manual to go down from curbs.
If you do not think this is good at all can you advise me on a longboard in the same price range, i just need one with a good board and trucks as well as a similar size to the one I have linked.

Thanks all for the help.
Bro I want to set up a long board too.  I'd go for a 38 long with a kicktail.  Regular Indy's or aces , no risers and 50 mil wheels.  If you want to cruise get 52mil soft wheels.  I'd say the small wheels are even more important on a long board because with the longer wheelbase your increasing your swing weight dramatically.  Long board or short board you don't want to end up with a heavy peice of shit.  Whatever all the longboarders do is what you don't want to do, trust me.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 12:41:02 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

lowdawg

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 01:25:56 PM »
Bro I want to set up a long board too.  I'd go for a 38 long with a kicktail.  Regular Indy's or aces , no risers and 50 mil wheels.  If you want to cruise get 52mil soft wheels.  I'd say the small wheels are even more important on a long board because with the longer wheelbase your increasing your swing weight dramatically.  Long board or short board you don't want to end up with a heavy peice of shit.  Whatever all the longboarders do is what you don't want to do, trust me.

I agree with getting a kicktail, if i need to stop or turn sharply it's neccessary and I agree that a heavy board is probs gonna be no good but keep in mind I'm mainly gonna be going down straights with a few bumps so i think bigger softer wheels would be more ideal as it would be a lot smoother and stable plus less noisy

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 07:48:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I agree with getting a kicktail, if i need to stop or turn sharply it's neccessary and I agree that a heavy board is probs gonna be no good but keep in mind I'm mainly gonna be going down straights with a few bumps so i think bigger softer wheels would be more ideal as it would be a lot smoother and stable plus less noisy
  Going for functional is a mistake imo.  If you want functional get a bike.  Those things Cruise perfectly.    Good luck in skate bro!

lowdawg

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 12:15:35 PM »
Going for functional is a mistake imo.  If you want functional get a bike.  Those things Cruise perfectly.    Good luck in skate bro!

My Situation: I have a 30 minute walk to my bus stop from home, an hour ride on the coach to school there is no place to keep a bike on the coach or at school(wierd i know but true), then the same in reverse goin back home.

A cruiser or longboard is perfect as i can keep it in a Skateboard bag on the coach unlike a bike which would be impossible to get on the coach unless kept in the storage compartments underneath which would absolutely wreck my bike as its so bumpy. At school there are bag racks where it can stay discreetly during the day and also my 30 mins of walking back home is 20% flat ground, 30% uphill and 50% downhill ALL on smooth gorund with very little bumps so it would be perfect for a longboard/cruiser.
Also I generally just want to get into longboarding/skateboarding because why the hell not.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 02:19:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My Situation: I have a 30 minute walk to my bus stop from home, an hour ride on the coach to school there is no place to keep a bike on the coach or at school(wierd i know but true), then the same in reverse goin back home.

A cruiser or longboard is perfect as i can keep it in a Skateboard bag on the coach unlike a bike which would be impossible to get on the coach unless kept in the storage compartments underneath which would absolutely wreck my bike as its so bumpy. At school there are bag racks where it can stay discreetly during the day and also my 30 mins of walking back home is 20% flat ground, 30% uphill and 50% downhill ALL on smooth gorund with very little bumps so it would be perfect for a longboard/cruiser.
Also I generally just want to get into longboarding/skateboarding because why the hell not.
Well get regular trucks anyway and get your bigger wheels but get some soft 52s or 53s when you can afford them and switch them up when you can.  When you set up the smaller wheels get rid of the risers .  Don't get the reverse trucks cause they're not skateboardery.

lowdawg

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 02:53:24 PM »
Well get regular trucks anyway and get your bigger wheels but get some soft 52s or 53s when you can afford them and switch them up when you can.  When you set up the smaller wheels get rid of the risers .  Don't get the reverse trucks cause they're not skateboardery.

kk thanks, ill keep that in mind. I appreciate the advise.

kentrock

• Rep: -199
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 07:17:27 PM »
Expand Quote
TL;DR in middle

Thanks all for the help.
[close]

wut he said.  i def wouldn't go bigger than 52 or 53 mm wheels.  big wheels are for freeride an sliding

lowdawg

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 02:40:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
TL;DR in middle

Thanks all for the help.
[close]
[close]

wut he said.  i def wouldn't go bigger than 52 or 53 mm wheels.  big wheels are for freeride an sliding

kk thx, after much consideration i have decided to just save up and make a custom board, being the first board i have ever built let alone ridden, i will need some guidance. my budgets ~£150 so nothing overpriced pls

so far im gonna be getting some
• 53mm wheels (i dont know what hardness rating to get but i wanna get some fairly soft ones)
• 38" kicktail board
• some sticky default griptape
• Bones Reds Bearings
• Trucks? need some help. be specific
• link me to some essential hardware as well pls

Thanks for all your help

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 05:30:38 PM »
Trucks?  Aces or Indys that aren't wider than the board your getting.  Really as long as they're 'traditional' and not 'reverse' trucks.  If you keep skating you'll meet someone in a matter of weeks who has bigger wheels just sitting around and you can try they'res but after learning on the soft 53s(Oj, spitfire and bones all make soft small wheels) I bet you'll find the bjig wheels shiddy.  Short hardware to fit no risers.    (Edit. I just read your original post and realize your on a budget.  Maybe get traditional style trucks that are cheaper than the ones I mentioned. The board in the link you posted is way too tapered at both ends, get something with a straighter outline and wider kicktail.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 06:07:49 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »

Switch_fsflip_noseslide

• Rep: -27
  • Nobody steals from Creed Bratton
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 05:22:50 PM »
TL;DR in middle

Thanks all for the help.

Didn't read any of you posy. I clicked on the link but didn't even wait for it to load before I started to respond to this. What you need to do is go to a local skateahop. Not in a mall. They will help you find what you need. There you will
L learn everything you need to know to be a skateboarder.  The skate shop is the life blood of skate culture and your scene.
If you don't have one. Find the closet or online and go there as frequent as posible, or start your own shop.
"Giovanni Reda sleeps with the fishes"

HangtenNoseblunt

• Rep: -189
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 05:49:36 PM »
what in the actual fuck is that sig  :o

never been crazy about hippie jumps but thats fucked
Thank goodness we have HangtenNoseblunt in here as the voice of reason.