Author Topic: new greco film..... [coming soon]  (Read 27881 times)

VHS ERA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: new greco film..... [coming soon]
« Reply #150 on: September 28, 2018, 08:55:06 PM »
I’m not sober but I’m feeling this so far. Penny and Greco got me thinkin Penny would have fit on Baker just as well as Flip back in the day. Those gold shoes don’t look skateable. Are they HRS?

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #151 on: September 28, 2018, 08:58:52 PM »
Ok this is great. The part in front of the TV with the wife is like how we all think and daydream about skating when we’re bored sitting around.

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #152 on: September 28, 2018, 10:33:04 PM »
God damn it I still love Tom penny so much

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #153 on: September 29, 2018, 04:38:16 AM »
Ok this is great. The part in front of the TV with the wife is like how we all think and daydream about skating when we’re bored sitting around.
Ha Samuel L!!
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Mount St. Hermdog

• Rep: 8
« Reply #154 on: September 29, 2018, 05:28:07 AM »
Definitely prefer 20 minutes of this to four minutes of state of the art bangers + insert kewl song here.

Enjoyed the absence of dialogue.

Could have been way worse

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #155 on: September 29, 2018, 06:19:06 AM »
there were some really cool moments of brilliance in this like the back 3 lip with the train, switch slappie and the nose blunt on the car but wow some of this shit had me laughing so hard

how chill does your wife have to be for this to not get a reaction while she's watching tv

lol! wtf is this

i enjoyed the laughs almost as much as the quality skate clips. i ended up fast forwarding some of the stuff. don't need 30 seconds of him walking into his car footage.

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #156 on: September 29, 2018, 06:28:41 AM »
Sorry I haven't read the thread or watched this yet, but I was wondering if Jeremy Klein appears at all? I didn't see him in the pics of the premiere. I'm s0 scared that Grecs and Klein had a falling out. Not rly. But yeah if there's no Klein clips at least ther's gonna be PENNY CLIPS!!!

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2277
« Reply #157 on: September 29, 2018, 06:44:21 AM »
Sorry I haven't read the thread or watched this yet, but I was wondering if Jeremy Klein appears at all? I didn't see him in the pics of the premiere. I'm s0 scared that Grecs and Klein had a falling out. Not rly. But yeah if there's no Klein clips at least ther's gonna be PENNY CLIPS!!!
He wiped the JK of with some TP

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

noninjasinstreetfighter

• Rep: 19
« Reply #158 on: September 29, 2018, 10:35:22 AM »
pending trend alert: people rocking suits and blazers in the streets - ironically and unironically.

too goofy

Chet Baker will trend in skateboarding

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #159 on: September 29, 2018, 10:47:45 AM »
Expand Quote
pending trend alert: people rocking suits and blazers in the streets - ironically and unironically.
[close]

too goofy

Chet Baker will trend in skateboarding
I'd be stoked, chet baker sings is such a rad record.
I thoroughly enjoyed watching that, everything I liked about it has already been brought up by everyone else pretty much;
That switch 5050 switch back 3 looked too damn good to be switch.
That slam was so bad. At least it added an interesting scene to the film that wouldn't have been there otherwise (hospital visit scene). Wonder what would've been in its place if he had never slammed like that.
And someone earlier said that was the best penny footage in years, I agree.

phillip dominguez

• Rep: 15
« Reply #160 on: September 29, 2018, 11:07:59 AM »
Aside from Tom Penny's footage, this was a total snoozefest for me.  I guess because he's had so many identity crisises over the years.  All he's ever done is copy someone else's image, which I can understand when you're a kid but he's in his fucking 30s and still can't figure out his own shit.  Including the skating he does, it's like watching Jeremy Klein, if he wore  some shitty 70s outfit.  He's just a clown to me, and who knows, maybe that will be the next identity he latches onto. 

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #161 on: September 29, 2018, 11:19:38 AM »
Aside from Tom Penny's footage, this was a total snoozefest for me.  I guess because he's had so many identity crisises over the years.  All he's ever done is copy someone else's image, which I can understand when you're a kid but he's in his fucking 30s and still can't figure out his own shit.  Including the skating he does, it's like watching Jeremy Klein, if he wore  some shitty 70s outfit.  He's just a clown to me, and who knows, maybe that will be the next identity he latches onto.

ah you're no fun

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2276
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #162 on: September 29, 2018, 12:45:04 PM »
All he's ever done is copy someone else's image, which I can understand when you're a kid but he's in his fucking 30s and still can't figure out his own shit.

What other images are left? Stephen Lawyer? Those weird Euro Gucci kids? Kanye?

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #163 on: September 29, 2018, 01:02:18 PM »

EVERYTHING is a rip off of something to some degree.. Grecs is doing something completely seperate from what everyone else in skateboarding is doing, i think its sick. I back the old school mobster vibe hes giving, i also backed the hair metal hanoi rocks days so fuck knows.. anything to get away from the rolled beanie flood pants twats tbh

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #164 on: September 29, 2018, 01:07:44 PM »

lol! wtf is this

guy on the right blew it when he wore those baggy jeans with the blazer.  dammit we were going for a look and you don't even have grown up pants.

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #165 on: September 29, 2018, 01:28:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

EVERYTHING is a rip off of something to some degree.. Grecs is doing something completely seperate from what everyone else in skateboarding is doing, i think its sick. I back the old school mobster vibe hes giving, i also backed the hair metal hanoi rocks days so fuck knows.. anything to get away from the rolled beanie flood pants twats tbh
[close]

I'll take no nonsense, straight forward skating by someone who isn't playing dress up over this trite garbage any day. Everybody likes a bit of recognition/appreciation for what they do - some people won't be satisfied until the world sing's their praises. I wonder how much time Greco spends in front of the mirror each day?

I'd LOVE to hear your examples of skaters who aren't playing dress up

tart.mommy

• Rep: -8
  • smd
« Reply #166 on: September 29, 2018, 01:32:54 PM »
Expand Quote
All he's ever done is copy someone else's image, which I can understand when you're a kid but he's in his fucking 30s and still can't figure out his own shit.
[close]

What other images are left? Stephen Lawyer? Those weird Euro Gucci kids? Kanye?
There's the, idk, newest-brand-of-hipster mac demarco-esque (?) look with the hair tucked behind the ears and forward baseball cap and t-shirt tucked into high-waters with a belt and wearing some slip ons with tube socks
Anyway I think I lost a few lives investing so much in that description
U know, like with the board-rails but not really for any reason, shaped board--Welcome kids? I don't know
Anyway I'm gonna go rock back and forth
I'm a trans bitch

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #167 on: September 29, 2018, 02:27:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That he walked away from this is insane...

Especially at 40 years old.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #168 on: September 29, 2018, 02:36:42 PM »
Expand Quote

lol! wtf is this

[close]

guy on the right blew it when he wore those baggy jeans with the blazer.  dammit we were going for a look and you don't even have grown up pants.

https://www.instagram.com/ludvig______/

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1347
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #169 on: September 29, 2018, 02:43:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

lol! wtf is this

[close]

[close]

https://www.instagram.com/ludvig______/

I thought that too at first until I looked at his insta yesterday and realized that's his whole aesthetic. Now I think it's pretty sick. Kinda mid 80s Simple Minds vibe.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2277
« Reply #170 on: September 29, 2018, 02:49:05 PM »
Life's based on change, I grew up in this thing bro. -Greco

He can do no wrong,and if he is hyped on an era or a person, and wants to jump into the emperor's wardrobe for another transformation then god damn it he fucking will, and it will be awesome.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #171 on: September 29, 2018, 03:45:50 PM »
he's basically doing what rock\pop stars have been doing for a good bit

RIDEFLANNELV2

• Rep: 50
« Reply #172 on: September 29, 2018, 04:57:10 PM »
Loved it. I like that Jim Greco has gone through mad phases. Imagine if your favorite band sounded the same on every album. It would get stale quick.

Never was the biggest piss drunx Greco fan. But definitely into all these films. Especially the last one with the Boys Next Door and Nick Cave tracks.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 06:55:56 PM by RIDEFLANNELV2 »

Here Come The Lame Jets

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1145
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #173 on: September 29, 2018, 06:21:36 PM »
Great film, but I feel like “Pretentious Douchebag Simulator” might have been a better title.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Not Local

« Reply #174 on: September 29, 2018, 06:48:01 PM »
I've enjoyed all three of Jim's art house skate films.

I like switch slappies, Scorsese, Cimnino, those LA brick quarters, Casavettes and Jarmusch. I like watching Jim fold his jacket and stir his coffee. I like his face and fashion and music taste.

However, I'm curious where does he go from here?

Googan Christmas

• Rep: 25
« Reply #175 on: September 29, 2018, 06:57:19 PM »
I've enjoyed all three of Jim's art house skate films.

I like switch slappies, Scorsese, Cimnino, those LA brick quarters, Casavettes and Jarmusch. I like watching Jim fold his jacket and stir his coffee. I like his face and fashion and music taste.

However, I'm curious where does he go from here?

I gotta agree, all these films he’s making are awesome, and I’d never really have called myself a fan of Greco in the past. Def biased as I do like his musical selections and Jim j. Movies and Vincent Gallo, but yeah this is his best yet I think.

dirty ol man

• Rep: 46
« Reply #176 on: September 29, 2018, 07:48:05 PM »
he sure knows how to make california look bleak as fuck

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
« Reply #177 on: September 29, 2018, 07:49:22 PM »
Is this the longest lasting incarnation of Jim? It’s been my favorite and I would be fine if this version stayed and evolved.Love the soundtracks for these and the film (?) quality.

I have never seen hammers brand in real life. I’m not sure if I’d be into it, but I am really into his video he’s put out recently. Seems to have two different attitudes.

And penny. Nice surprise. I’m a fan but. Itnof the current state of flip. I don’t k ow where he’d fit elsewhere or if it would even sit well with me. The mushroom and Cheech and Chong boards are so cartoony but oddly classic.

sharkbarf

• Rep: 2
« Reply #178 on: September 29, 2018, 08:57:59 PM »
For a moment I thought the living room scene was going to pull a Brown Bunny ender. Still did not disappoint.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #179 on: September 29, 2018, 10:28:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'll take no nonsense, straight forward skating by someone who isn't playing dress up over this trite garbage any day. Everybody likes a bit of recognition/appreciation for what they do - some people won't be satisfied until the world sing's their praises. I wonder how much time Greco spends in front of the mirror each day?
[close]

I'd LOVE to hear your examples of skaters who aren't playing dress up

Anyone who doesn't put much thought into fashion and just wears regular pants like jeans or khakis, and a t shirt. No high waters, no dress shirts or suits, no all white outfits, no thrift store special ed kids outfits, no ironic outfits etc etc. Basically, anyone who isn't trying to draw attention to themselves via their clothing. Blend in vs stick out. 2 different camps, I get it... but I put a lot more respect on those who let their skating be the focus, or aren't such obvious extreme narcissists.

On top of all this, Greco is just trying to skate exactly like Jeremy Klein, who I personally always felt had the worst style and trick selection. Jump ramps to makeshift obstacles in the streets?! That's the corniest shit ever.