Author Topic: prepping/disaster preparedness  (Read 7790 times)

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1571
  • Overweight and Underprepared
prepping/disaster preparedness
« on: September 22, 2018, 06:58:50 PM »
Given the diverse interests and geographic distribution of SLAP PALS, I am interested to hear from anyone who is into "prepping" and/or people who prepare for disasters.  I know some people who were were recently impacted by hurricane Florence and thought it would be interesting to know about other people's experiences.

As for me, I try to keep sufficient water on hand for at least a couple weeks and try to learn about the topic in general. I bought some MREs and they are okay, albeit not great macros.  I've tried a couple for a single meal, not sure a person would feel very good if they subsisted entirely on MREs.  I imagine HATE! would/could corroborate this (amongst others).

This site has been the least expensive I have found for MREs.
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/us-military-surplus-complete-mre-meal-assortment-12-pack?a=2183075

I also was surprised that Walmart had a 24 hour survival pack for about 20$.  Not a bad deal, shelf life is longer than MRE's by quite a bit. Haven't tried the food yet, but I did notice the container is definitely sturdy and able to serve more than one function (post-Shit Hits The Fan scenario).  I think it could be a wonderful toilet.

In the process of becoming more familiar with this topic, I came across this guys channel, which I find really interesting: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2I6Et1JkidnnbWgJFiMeHA

Apparently there is a big community of people who are into MREs specifically.  The guy in the URL above reviews MRE's.  I find it fascinating what soldiers were issued in 19whatever. 

So far, I have learned that cigarettes stopped being issued in MREs beginning in 1972.

"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

ungzilla

Re: prepping/disaster preparedness
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 07:36:13 PM »
i have some camo pants so i figure i'm pretty much set if shit gets real

bawtawdwon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -68
  • cant ban the snowman
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 10:23:15 PM »
Ar fiftheen, ammo, gauze, antibiotics, fentanyl, amphetamine, alcohol, lighters, knife. Everything else is bullshit. Have fun with your mre's though lol. Your plan just hide in a closet as long as u can or some shit?

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 07:51:09 AM »
If shit gets real, I'll steal baws shit when he's passed out on dog drugs.

Pigeon

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 07:57:45 AM »
Ar fiftheen, ammo, gauze, antibiotics, fentanyl, amphetamine, alcohol, lighters, knife. Everything else is bullshit. Have fun with your mre's though lol. Your plan just hide in a closet as long as u can or some shit?
I guess you don’t need toilet paper if you use antibiotics daily.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 09:41:17 AM »
MREs, or any type of military rations that I've had, are ok as a single meal, but once you go for a couple of weeks you'll end up with the shits or with a brick. it's like a 50/50 chance that you'll shit it all out within an hour or it will stay for another 2 weeks. I'd rather get canned food if I was prepping unless you're basing your strategy on walking on foot.

Personally I think it's pointless to prepare for every scenario, so you'd need to figure out which ones are likely in your area. Are you going to stay at home, go to a cabin (does anyone on slap have a cabin?) somewhere else or just hit the road? Because it's kinda easy to just buy everything you use in your daily life in extreme bulk, but it's way harder to fit it all into your car.

The non kook but still kook way of prepping is to check out what off-grid people are doing.

bawtawdwon

• cant ban the snowman
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 12:31:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I guess you don’t need toilet paper if you use antibiotics daily.
Of course your first thought is tp with all the bum shit you dodge on the daily, but I have theses things called leaves that exist where I live, also other peoples shit won't be a health concern to me like it would be to you. Your best chance of survival would be hiding under a pile of bum shit.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 12:51:35 PM »
There are three preppers on my street. I'm going to kill them and take their stuff.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 03:06:56 PM »
I’ve always wondered what if the shit hits the fan when you’re at work but all that stuff you prepped is at home and you can’t get to it? wouldn’t that be kinda hilarious in a really sick way? in the end, the people who survive will probably be the most inherently vicious and sociopathic types and those who benefit from dumb luck, “prepared” or not.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 03:50:05 PM »
I just shot a moose. I'm prepped for abit
Gentleman ninja warlock

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2018, 04:26:06 PM »
I’ve always wondered what if the shit hits the fan when you’re at work but all that stuff you prepped is at home and you can’t get to it? wouldn’t that be kinda hilarious in a really sick way? in the end, the people who survive will probably be the most inherently vicious and sociopathic types and those who benefit from dumb luck, “prepared” or not.

Fuck. Mind blown.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 325
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 09:00:42 PM »
I'm a pretty avid backpacker. You get all the perks of being prepared without all the cringe of prepper culture. Go take a hike pals.

ChuckRamone is a wise one.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1571
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 05:44:18 PM »
I can definitely see how MREs are not the best for daily consumption, there is way too much sugar in them.

This is perhaps my favorite 1 minute short film ever.

https://vimeo.com/242573626
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

hmmmokay

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 07:43:00 PM »
I can definitely see how MREs are not the best for daily consumption, there is way too much sugar in them.

This is perhaps my favorite 1 minute short film ever.

https://vimeo.com/242573626

Such a mindfuck in such a short timespan. Glad you threw this in here.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 02:43:57 AM »
i have some camo pants so i figure i'm pretty much set if shit gets real

Roll one leg up and you're good to go.

OP you seen/read The Road? It kind of made me realise that dying early on probably wouldn't be the worst.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 03:09:10 AM »
When I am preping for a disaster I make sure my front foot is behind my front truckbolts before I take of and move it forward whilst rotating so I can pop straight back in.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

leopard print

• Rep: 12
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 03:44:22 AM »
All you need is love.

However, if anything catastrophic permanently knocks out the worldwide 4G networks or the internet signal to your router you have to ask yourself, "Is it really worth carrying on?"
I seen a nigga piss over the stall wall into the other toilet, it was so dope.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 03:47:02 AM »

i guess you'll be bringing a new meaning to eating lead

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2018, 05:25:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i guess you'll be bringing a new meaning to eating lead

Yep, 30/06 from 400 yards. Dead before he knows it. Ar15 lol
Gentleman ninja warlock

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 309
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2018, 05:42:28 AM »
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2018, 12:11:31 PM »
When I am preping for a disaster I make sure my front foot is behind my front truckbolts before I take of and move it forward whilst rotating so I can pop straight back in.

When you come in from the disaster it's cool to land with your front foot behind the bolts again. It's like prepping after a disaster. Max Schaaf agrees.

bawtawdwon

• cant ban the snowman
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 01:31:35 PM »

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 02:54:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Fuck of captain lottery
Gentleman ninja warlock

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2018, 06:49:37 PM »
I live in a place where it's pretty much a necessity so we have a big back pack ready to go but we need to update the (instant) food in there. Easy to forget about this type of stuff in your day to day life but when a big quake hits you quickly remember how important it is...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2018, 10:36:21 PM »
I live in a place where it's pretty much a necessity so we have a big back pack ready to go but we need to update the (instant) food in there. Easy to forget about this type of stuff in your day to day life but when a big quake hits you quickly remember how important it is...

nothing ready at all at my house... When the Tokai Earthquake happnens we are screwed but you know... hakuna matata

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2018, 07:02:49 AM »
I’m no prepper and this isn’t something that’s been on my mind, but thinking about it now I don’t think we’re that badly prepared in my home.

We hike and camp, so we’ve got an alcohol stove (don’t know the correct English term) and alcohol to last for a good while so we can cook fine without electricity, got torches and batteries as well as a shitload of candles lying around so lighting won’t be a problem.

We’ve always got enough dry goods like rice, beans and quinoa to last for a week or two at least, along with canned tomatoes, pineapples and other stuff. Got dog food for a month too, I’m sure the dog wouldn’t mind sharing if need be.

I don’t have water stored, but as long as the nearby waters aren’t poisoned or anything that shouldn’t be much of an issue. Not enough trees between here and the nearest lake that we’d get cut off by a forest fire either. Should we get snowed in in winter I can melt snow. Things would suck if it was summertime and for some reason we couldn’t leave our building though. Maybe I should get a tank of water.

Where we live there’s no real chance to get a flood or earthquake or anything like that, the only things I can think of that could be a real problem here would be a proper blizzard, a long power outage due to strong winds or whatever, or war (russians?). Should it be necessary there’s a bomb shelter two doors away from our apartment.

ungzilla

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2018, 07:49:07 AM »
but have you decided which neighbors you'll eat first

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2018, 08:28:47 AM »

We live in a pretty rich neighbourhood with loads of sporty jogging, biking, fitness crazy people and those are the best to eat right?

leopard print

• Rep: 12
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2018, 01:41:04 PM »

and which ones you'll fuck.
I seen a nigga piss over the stall wall into the other toilet, it was so dope.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2018, 02:26:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

We live in a pretty rich neighbourhood with loads of sporty jogging, biking, fitness crazy people and those are the best to eat right?
They're a little gamey, but they'll do.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.