Author Topic: prepping/disaster preparedness  (Read 7777 times)

GAY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3288
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Re: prepping/disaster preparedness
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2018, 05:10:21 PM »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2018, 08:27:32 PM »
Expand Quote
I live in a place where it's pretty much a necessity so we have a big back pack ready to go but we need to update the (instant) food in there. Easy to forget about this type of stuff in your day to day life but when a big quake hits you quickly remember how important it is...
[close]

nothing ready at all at my house... When the Tokai Earthquake happnens we are screwed but you know... hakuna matata
idk, twas easy to not give a shit about when I didn't have a family but don't know if I could live with the guilt these days?
Super typhoon yesterday was FUCT! Easily the worst typhoon I've ever experienced...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2020, 05:05:32 AM »
Once coronavirus is over do you think you will prepare differently?
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2020, 05:13:59 AM »
Once coronavirus is over do you think you will prepare differently?
I’d say no, Corona has had 0 effects on me so far. I go to store, buy whatever I need and go to work, just like last week. There’s like 300 cases in my country, 0 deaths.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 06:32:28 AM by Krooked antihero »
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2020, 10:58:34 AM »
I've been buying one or two cans of stuff recently every time we go past a supermarket as I kinda saw this coming and figured we needed to stock up so we're pretty good.

I'n the long term our garden won a few awards (best small garden in SA 2018 and 2019) so my girl is pretty across the board at growing our own food. We grow a few things (tomatoes, strawberries, carrots, weed and lettuce) but if push comes to shove we could free up more space and grow a lot more.   

If that failed I'd just start killing other people and taking their shit.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2020, 01:19:22 PM »
oi!

this is going to be tldr for people--i'm still going to share it...

...food, batteries, medical supplies, etc....shit’s just common sense to keep stocked and stored--fuck, providing one’s situation and budget permits it...of course. the people i see saying shit like “people are idiots for not stocking up” are also idiots for simplistically forgetting the circumstances in which so many people live...for instance, how many people live paycheck to paycheck, had to wait to their biweekly direct deposit came in, when SO MUCH CHANGED IN THIS COUNTRY FROM MONDAY OF LAST WEEK TO SUNDAY OF LAST WEEK.

i'm fortunate...there’s a shit-ton of humility and old-school mentality in my family--i’m grateful to say--so that multiple generations live under one roof, and it’s quite symbiotic right now.

all of that said, i’m going to go ahead and repeat what i shared in the “Last Thing You Bought” thread because i think it's important to stress in this country right now how your first line of defense is simply you--just added a Bushnell TRS-25 red-dot to my Palmetto State Armory AKV chambered in 9mm:

i don’t get the sense behind “preparing” for bad, large-scale fractures to occur in American society, and not having the resources to defend what you store, and those you hold dear--and in this latter category, i absolutely include friends and neighbors, and not just immediate family. there’s over 5,000 rounds of ammunition in our home, including 1000s of rounds 7.62x39, 1000s of rounds of 9mm, hundreds of round of that sweet Winchester “military grade” 00 buck, etc., all of which i hope and pray that i NEVER have to use in defense of what little me and mines have, but what i'm glad to say we have stored next to all kinds of canned foods nonetheless.

in my humble opinion, the only thing worse than not having guns if they are needed, is having them and not having enough ammo--other than lack of funds, i don't get owning weapons and not correspondingly storing ample amounts of ammo and magazines.

ok, good people, go ahead and "kook" away--today isn't bad here, i'm grateful to say...i've spent most of the day adjusting my syllabi to this new "remote" form of teaching, and i think i have Zoom down, which is how both universities i teach at want me to teach classes for the rest of the semester...

...i hope you are safe and well.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2020, 03:26:08 PM »
I won’t kook but what’s the point of a 9mm AK? You don’t like stopping power or distance work? What keeps that dust cover secure (why not a side mount?)?

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2020, 04:23:22 PM »
what peeps need are 40lbs of dry beans, same with rice and lentils. maybe quinoa if you're not broke. a deuce deuce is good enough for squirrels and easy to acquire. Wool blankets and socks are clutch. they stay drier and warmer than any cotton or synthetic. Get a C crane too https://www.ccrane.com/. pretty bitchin radios
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2020, 04:44:42 PM »
I won’t kook but what’s the point of a 9mm AK? You don’t like stopping power or distance work? What keeps that dust cover secure (why not a side mount?)?

solid questions--the main point is the stability and accuracy (within a certain range) that comes with the weight of an Ak receiver, without having to worry about shooting through walls and/or the neighbor's house. and on these AK pistol caliber carbines, the dust cover is super solid and mounted on a hinge to the front sight/gas block--Garand Thumb just reviewed it actually:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOMwOvKJO-I

there's a couple of AK rifles in 7.62 x 39 in the gun safe (a Century Arms and an Arsenal), but this is definitely more suited to home defense...plus, it's simply a blast to shoot at the range...

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2020, 05:15:14 PM »
That’s your “home defense?” My 870 Has something to say about that.

ColinYourAssOut

• Rep: 13
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2020, 07:26:54 PM »
Yeah, we're at that point where I'm just as much afraid of dipshits going into looting mode as I am of whatever the government will pull during a crisis like this.

Have lots and lots of booze tucked away (was my excuse to go buy another mixed case of various scotches I like, and Costco has those neat cheap boxed wines that the wife loves), about 60 gallons total of bottled water and various other beverages (mostly because I forgot to cancel the bottled water delivery and ended up with way too much), plenty of long-term storage food since I've been gradually grabbing more with each week this past 2 months since news broke, goggles and filtration masks as needed for venturing outside in the worst of times, fish antibiotics since you can buy OTC amoxicillin that way, general medical kit and various medicines/gear, a fair number of pistols and rifles with decent ammo reserves, crank radio that doesn't need batteries, solar chargers for devices, propane tabletop stove, paper products to last a few months, and the wife even found a way to get her hands on that malaria drug that they're saying is being used to treat COVID-19 with great effectiveness.  And weed, lots and lots of weed.

I was hearing WAY too much about all of this starting early January, as as I followed people who were tracking the rapid increase in cases, all it took were those videos from early February of Chinese nationals being herded up and taken away due to being suspected of having the virus (likely never to return), and it became time to start gearing up for getting down.

My general rule was to focus on shit I'd put to use this year regardless of whether this blows over or not for most things, the anti-malaria drug and fish antibiotics aside, there's not much I have that can't be put to good use in due time, so I'm cool with that.
You can't beat cheeks with weak meat.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2020, 01:38:57 AM »
   This mass fear factor will change the world into a 'next stage' it feels like.  This event permiates more than anything certainly in my 44 years. 
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2020, 08:29:28 AM »
That’s your “home defense?” My 870 Has something to say about that.

hah, i get that, and there's a 590 variant in my gun safe as well (and lots of that Winchester, military-grade 12 gauge 00 buck stored)--they all have their applications and are fun (in their own way) to shoot at the range.

This mass fear factor will change the world into a 'next stage' it feels like.  This event permiates more than anything certainly in my 44 years. 

how many places and people live with a comparable (or more severe) "fear factor" consistently anyway? i do think this is going to be a kind of rude awakening for "developed" countries, and perhaps more than anywhere, the U.S., but i still have a lot of faith in people to do the right thing--it's going to take a lot to shake that...

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2020, 08:33:05 AM »
i just bought a righteous, 25-pound bag of rice, anybody have any suggestions for long-term storage of it?

Mr.Jenkins

• Rep: 156
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2020, 08:45:55 AM »
oi!

...food, batteries, medical supplies, etc....shit’s just common sense to keep stocked and stored--fuck, providing one’s situation and budget permits it...of course. the people i see saying shit like “people are idiots for not stocking up” are also idiots for simplistically forgetting the circumstances in which so many people live...for instance, how many people live paycheck to paycheck, had to wait to their biweekly direct deposit came in, when SO MUCH CHANGED IN THIS COUNTRY FROM MONDAY OF LAST WEEK TO SUNDAY OF LAST WEEK.

i'm fortunate...there’s a shit-ton of humility and old-school mentality in my family--i’m grateful to say--so that multiple generations live under one roof, and it’s quite symbiotic right now.

all of that said, i’m going to go ahead and repeat what i shared in the “Last Thing You Bought” thread because i think it's important to stress in this country right now how your first line of defense is simply you--just added a Bushnell TRS-25 red-dot to my Palmetto State Armory AKV chambered in 9mm:

i don’t get the sense behind “preparing” for bad, large-scale fractures to occur in American society, and not having the resources to defend what you store, and those you hold dear--and in this latter category, i absolutely include friends and neighbors, and not just immediate family. there’s over 5,000 rounds of ammunition in our home, including 1000s of rounds 7.62x39, 1000s of rounds of 9mm, hundreds of round of that sweet Winchester “military grade” 00 buck, etc., all of which i hope and pray that i NEVER have to use in defense of what little me and mines have, but what i'm glad to say we have stored next to all kinds of canned foods nonetheless.

in my humble opinion, the only thing worse than not having guns if they are needed, is having them and not having enough ammo--other than lack of funds, i don't get owning weapons and not correspondingly storing ample amounts of ammo and magazines.

ok, good people, go ahead and "kook" away--today isn't bad here, i'm grateful to say...i've spent most of the day adjusting my syllabi to this new "remote" form of teaching, and i think i have Zoom down, which is how both universities i teach at want me to teach classes for the rest of the semester...

The multiple generation under one roof is a baaaad thing these days. You should isolate the elders.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2020, 09:57:03 AM »
Expand Quote
oi!

[close]

The multiple generation under one roof is a baaaad thing these days. You should isolate the elders.

i appreciate that, and we are all as cautious can be. we have one elder in the house--she is in her early 70s and in great health and shape (knock on wood).

we're fortunate, nobody really needs to leave the house often, and the cleaning/distancing rituals when coming back to the house are fairly rigorous when we do...doing everything we can...

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2020, 10:49:09 AM »
i just bought a righteous, 25-pound bag of rice, anybody have any suggestions for long-term storage of it?
Idk. Put it in a plastic bag or container to keep humidity away should do it. Plenty of rice in markets just sits out in barrels and the bags breathe?

Expand Quote
[close]

solid questions--the main point is the stability and accuracy (within a certain range) that comes with the weight of an Ak receiver, without having to worry about shooting through walls and/or the neighbor's house. and on these AK pistol caliber carbines, the dust cover is super solid and mounted on a hinge to the front sight/gas block--Garand Thumb just reviewed it actually:

there's a couple of AK rifles in 7.62 x 39 in the gun safe (a Century Arms and an Arsenal), but this is definitely more suited to home defense...plus, it's simply a blast to shoot at the range...
What!
Remind me what states allow full rock n roll? VA, WV, TX, AZ?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 10:56:01 AM by legion »

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2020, 11:04:27 AM »
Wonder what the street value of toilet paper will soon be?

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2020, 11:17:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Idk. Put it in a plastic bag or container to keep humidity away should do it. Plenty of rice in markets just sits out in barrels and the bags breathe?

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
What!
Remind me what states allow full rock n roll? VA, WV, TX, AZ?

hah, yeah, it's semi-auto--he's just doing that whole bump-fire thing with his trigger finger...which i'am actually ambivalent about, because under "normal" conditions that gives "gun control" people more fuel.

part of his review is how crisp and light the trigger is, and i guess that was his way of driving home the point...for good and ill...

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2020, 11:32:30 AM »
It's definitely a cool gun that looks like a blast to shoot. I just couldn't justify the cost.  I bought one of these a couple of years ago, just to plink at the range.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/SMITH-WESSON-M-P-SPORT-RIMFIRE-RIFLE/2232661.uts

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2020, 04:38:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think rice needs to breathe. If you keep it in a sealed container it lets off moisture which then facilitates mold.

legion

« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2020, 04:59:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think rice needs to breathe. If you keep it in a sealed container it lets off moisture which then facilitates mold.
True but should be pretty dry when you get it. Ppl use it to dry out phones, right? We just leave the bag sitting on the floor until it's time to fill up the container thingie.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2020, 09:44:41 PM »
Wonder what the street value of toilet paper will soon be?

"You just scrape the mud off with ur shoe"
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2020, 05:52:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
True but should be pretty dry when you get it. Ppl use it to dry out phones, right? We just leave the bag sitting on the floor until it's time to fill up the container thingie.
How about vacuum pump?
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

legion

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2020, 10:06:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
How about vacuum pump?
Sure. A lil overkill for a dry climate but might be good if humidity is really high.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2020, 11:26:46 AM »
For keeping rice fresh couldn’t you use silica gel packets that come in beef jerky to keep out the moisture ?

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2020, 11:41:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

No it doesnt. It comes it a sealed bag. It can absolutely and should be sealed and kept away from air and moisture. If concerned about keeping shit dry, look for food safe desiccant. You can keep it in the same area as the things that you're keeping for long term storage. It helps a lot.

Keepig white rice dry and away from light and heat, while sealed, is all you need to store it.

Freeze bags of rice when you get them for 4i hours. This will kill bugs in the rice. As well as eggs. I have found worms in bulk bags of rice after having them for a while without freezing. This rice was from costco too. Not some nasty as place. Freezing, while the bags are still totally sealed is fine for the rice.

Source: I have celiacs. Because of that I literally eat rice almost everyday in some capacity. I have been buying in bulk for years  and have 100+ pounds of it at the moment
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 11:45:51 AM by drewsmahgoos »

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2020, 12:18:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

No it doesnt. It comes it a sealed bag. It can absolutely and should be sealed and kept away from air and moisture. If concerned about keeping shit dry, look for food safe desiccant. You can keep it in the same area as the things that you're keeping for long term storage. It helps a lot.

Keepig white rice dry and away from light and heat, while sealed, is all you need to store it.

Freeze bags of rice when you get them for 4i hours. This will kill bugs in the rice. As well as eggs. I have found worms in bulk bags of rice after having them for a while without freezing. This rice was from costco too. Not some nasty as place. Freezing, while the bags are still totally sealed is fine for the rice.

Source: I have celiacs. Because of that I literally eat rice almost everyday in some capacity. I have been buying in bulk for years  and have 100+ pounds of it at the moment

oi!

i appreciate all of the suggestions y'all--especially for yours here drews...

...good to hear about the white and just keeping it dry, out of light and heat, because i think i'm going to break it up into five 5lb mylar bags...which is going to take me a minute...

...hope everybody's good...

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2020, 12:30:04 PM »
It's definitely a cool gun that looks like a blast to shoot. I just couldn't justify the cost.  I bought one of these a couple of years ago, just to plink at the range.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/SMITH-WESSON-M-P-SPORT-RIMFIRE-RIFLE/2232661.uts

that brute looks fun to shoot as well...actually most of the serious shooter/preppers who i respect (i.e. older cats) all seem to agree that .22 LR is actually the overall best caliber to have in a shit situation--ease of storage, ease of shooting, etc...

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2020, 12:38:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

oi!

i appreciate all of the suggestions y'all--especially for yours here drews...

...good to hear about the white and just keeping it dry, out of light and heat, because i think i'm going to break it up into five 5lb mylar bags...which is going to take me a minute...

...hope everybody's good...

Good idea. Much easier to pace out. Just an fyi, white rice lasts longer than brown. Obviously brown is better but its not good for much longer than a year compared to white rice which can go for 2 or more when properly stored. For sure freeze it in its original bag if it'll fit. I've also stuffed rice in freezer bags when my initial bag is too big. You just have to make sure to let all the air out.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 12:39:56 PM by drewsmahgoos »