Author Topic: prepping/disaster preparedness  (Read 7784 times)

Skart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -33
  • Ham control
Re: prepping/disaster preparedness
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2020, 05:53:17 PM »
I don't want to think about reality tbh

I've become a subject with bills... Just now moved into the city apartment with a soft/moldy ceiling in the bathroom and a stoner brother

Could prob use all my savings to get a g19..

Or trash around with hipoint

Fuck food and cold water. I need more money
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1353
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2020, 06:43:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i just bought a righteous, 25-pound bag of rice, anybody have any suggestions for long-term storage of it?
[close]
Idk. Put it in a plastic bag or container to keep humidity away should do it. Plenty of rice in markets just sits out in barrels and the bags breathe?

[close]

I think rice needs to breathe. If you keep it in a sealed container it lets off moisture which then facilitates mold.

keep it in the bag u got it in
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2020, 07:37:29 PM »
I don't want to think about reality tbh

I've become a subject with bills... Just now moved into the city apartment with a soft/moldy ceiling in the bathroom and a stoner brother

Could prob use all my savings to get a g19..

Or trash around with hipoint

Fuck food and cold water. I need more money

Ruger makes a few pretty affordable 9mm. Much better than a hi point and only like $50 more. Taurus isn't bad though. Regardless, get some hollow points.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2020, 06:18:13 AM »
this shit is a bit disconcerting and i know it's happening everywhere right now--a glut of inexperienced panicky new gun-owners...sweet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiZZJitkKvA&t=179s

your boy makes a lot of sense at times (he is a lawyer, so it has to be expected occasionally), and it's much easier to take him seriously since he parted ways with the NRA. either way, i'm not all worried about people being hypocrites and all of that, i'm just worried about a bunch frantic new gun-owners with no experience with operation, storage, and safety...

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2020, 02:04:45 AM »
That's the biggest issue is actually using them properly. Not paper target robots

I envy those who have access to private land for more legitimate training
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 02:14:47 AM by Skart »
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2020, 03:53:42 AM »
It's definitely a cool gun that looks like a blast to shoot. I just couldn't justify the cost.  I bought one of these a couple of years ago, just to plink at the range.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/SMITH-WESSON-M-P-SPORT-RIMFIRE-RIFLE/2232661.uts

hey man, i thought about your post here, when i saw this this morning--i don't really share this dude's perspectives and politics, but i do check in for this kind of info:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKKfBHIeuIc

hope all is well

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2020, 06:15:00 AM »
Reading this makes me very glad I don't live in the US. Things are going to get considerably worse from here on out. Try not to kill each other, pals.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2020, 08:13:08 AM »
Reading this makes me very glad I don't live in the US. Things are going to get considerably worse from here on out. Try not to kill each other, pals.

you know, usually i wouldn’t really respond to this, because i get it...in general, people in the US are fucked--at least the mass of thoughtless American consumers who are strictly guided by appetites and insecurities only...nothing else. but it’s Sunday, and my syllabi are ready for the teaching online that i start tomorrow, and i think i’ve even got Zoom down, so...

...i'm sure from other places, it might seem like the US is more liable to experience this in a "considerably worse" way than other countries are, but talking about the US like it is one monolithic thing means you’re not going to have an accurate or realistic conversation. it's important to remember how varied and complex the US is geographically and demographically--urban centers, suburbs, exurbs, rural areas, etc.--and each will have its own ways of dealing with and reacting to whatever lies ahead. and in this regard, even with urban centers, NY is going to be one conversation and LA will be a whole other conversation, etc.

all of that being said--and me personally--yes, i was raised around guns, yes i have a gun safe full of "high capacity" rifles and handguns (and a shotgun), yes i have lots and lots of ammo and magazines stored...but no, in almost 50 years of life, despite all kinds of trifling things i've been through (growing up most of my life in the city of Detroit), i have never once even been close to reaching for a gun in defense, not even the handguns i'm legally licensed and trained to carry--i am of course grateful to say. same with everyone i grew up with, who are also armed "to the teeth." not an unstable or violently inclined person amongst us, friends, neighbors, and family... i'm a literature professor in the Humanities man...despite what it might look like, for all practical purposes i'm a pacifist...

...for every one unhinged, gun-owning, Trump-supporting wingnut babbling about "boogaloos" and shit here, there are dozens of us who by all means believe in at least aspiring to be comparatively armed to defend ourselves (plenty of criminals and all of the police have fully automatic weapons here) if god forbid the need should ever arise, but really just love to shoot and are tech nerds about the infinite varieties of calibers, configurations, and platforms of firearms.

as i posted above, the scary thing is all of the frantic assholes who are all of a sudden deciding they need guns here, who have never owned or shot one, and who know nothing about doing so, cleaning, storing, safety, etc...

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1537
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2020, 04:22:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thank you Deputy Wendell for your well articulated response. I couldn't agree more.

you know, usually i wouldn’t really respond to this, because i get it...in general, people in the US are fucked--at least the mass of thoughtless American consumers who are strictly guided by appetites and insecurities only...nothing else. but it’s Sunday, and my syllabi are ready for the teaching online that i start tomorrow, and i think i’ve even got Zoom down, so...

...i'm sure from other places, it might seem like the US is more liable to experience this in a "considerably worse" way than other countries are, but talking about the US like it is one monolithic thing means you’re not going to have an accurate or realistic conversation. it's important to remember how varied and complex the US is geographically and demographically--urban centers, suburbs, exurbs, rural areas, etc.--and each will have its own ways of dealing with and reacting to whatever lies ahead. and in this regard, even with urban centers, NY is going to be one conversation and LA will be a whole other conversation, etc.

all of that being said--and me personally--yes, i was raised around guns, yes i have a gun safe full of "high capacity" rifles and handguns (and a shotgun), yes i have lots and lots of ammo and magazines stored...but no, in almost 50 years of life, despite all kinds of trifling things i've been through (growing up most of my life in the city of Detroit), i have never once even been close to reaching for a gun in defense, not even the handguns i'm legally licensed and trained to carry--i am of course grateful to say. same with everyone i grew up with, who are also armed "to the teeth." not an unstable or violently inclined person amongst us, friends, neighbors, and family... i'm a literature professor in the Humanities man...despite what it might look like, for all practical purposes i'm a pacifist...

...for every one unhinged, gun-owning, Trump-supporting wingnut babbling about "boogaloos" and shit here, there are dozens of us who by all means believe in at least aspiring to be comparatively armed to defend ourselves (plenty of criminals and all of the police have fully automatic weapons here) if god forbid the need should ever arise, but really just love to shoot and are tech nerds about the infinite varieties of calibers, configurations, and platforms of firearms.

as i posted above, the scary thing is all of the frantic assholes who are all of a sudden deciding they need guns here, who have never owned or shot one, and who know nothing about doing so, cleaning, storing, safety, etc...
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2020, 06:45:27 PM »
Expand Quote
It's definitely a cool gun that looks like a blast to shoot. I just couldn't justify the cost.  I bought one of these a couple of years ago, just to plink at the range.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/SMITH-WESSON-M-P-SPORT-RIMFIRE-RIFLE/2232661.uts
[close]

hey man, i thought about your post here, when i saw this this morning--i don't really share this dude's perspectives and politics, but i do check in for this kind of info:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKKfBHIeuIc

hope all is well

I basically gave up shooting in 2008 when Obama panic buying started in earnest. 

That is, one day you could buy 500 rounds of .22 for $18 and then it all dried up when it came back it was $50. Eventually it settled down around $30+ I think but I wasn’t made of money and honestly it didn’t seem worth it to me.

I wasn’t only shooting.22 of course but .22 made a range trip worth the effort - I’m not burning through 100 rounds of centerfire every trip. Also, it wasn’t like skating where I’d stop and get worse. You could also “train” effectively with a BB gun. I wish I could say nicer things about the people I met but aside from a few truly decent people, most folks at the range were perfectly nice to me but would say ugly shit on the regular so I did not miss that aspect.

I got into recurve archery instead because it was challenging and you could carry on for years with one sunk cost if you didn’t lose arrows.

I’m glad I still have some stuff for a “in case of fire break glass” scenario but I haven’t given much thought in firearms this crap.

Buy good shit, know how to use it, sight it in, forget it.

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2020, 07:41:08 AM »
Sat down with the missus today and worked out how we can utilize the garden to grow as much as possible. She's won some gardening awards to we've already got a bit going but I think it's time to step it up.
Went for a drive and got a heap of seeds and potting mix.
Been picking up non perishables every time we pass a supermarket, also matches as well.
Grabbed batteries for my radio, a new bike pump and a puncture repair kit.

We don't have access to guns over here but I got all my machete's, chains, pipes, crowbar, kosh and cutthroats out at the ready.
A mate joked about it going "Full Purge" at some point and while this was only a joke I do have a pretty intimidating creepy mask I'm keeping close by in case we get to a looting scenario (I figure a hooded dude in a white blood splattered mask carrying a machete is enough to keep people at bay).

Also I recently round out you can make basic disinfectant with lavender oil. water and a spray bottle if that helps.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2020, 01:45:08 AM »
I was wondering where the room where Slap keeps the crazies locked up is.  Looks like I found it.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2020, 06:28:59 PM »
I was wondering where the room where Slap keeps the crazies locked up is.  Looks like I found it.

Pretty sure all of Slap is that room.

ColinYourAssOut

• Rep: 13
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2020, 07:48:56 PM »

Just don't come knockin' on my door when you run out of supplies! :)

You can't beat cheeks with weak meat.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2020, 08:37:33 PM »
I'm good for 3 months, pa
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2020, 08:54:13 AM »
I'm good for 3 months, pa

Lol, pretty sure if you're stocked for 3 months that means you've prepped...

What do you call someone who has prepped?

Davethedavedave

• Rep: -101
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2020, 04:04:39 PM »
A preppy like Zack Morris- A.c. Slater

Davethedavedave

• Rep: -101
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2020, 04:06:11 PM »
A Preppy like Zack Morris- A.C. Slater

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2020, 06:18:36 PM »
dave dropping killer riff after killer riff... i feel like i am at a freakin megadeth concert
🤙

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2020, 09:23:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Thank you Deputy Wendell for your well articulated response. I couldn't agree more.

[close]

I lived in Texas for 5 years and have travelled coast to coast, so I can appreciate that not all Americans are the same. I've was also on my school shooting team, so I can understand how people might like guns.

I'd just rather not wait out a deadly pandemic surrounded by increasingly frightened and desperate people that are stocking up on hollow point ammo. I've got enough to worry about.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1537
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2021, 06:03:46 PM »
Does anyone make their own beef jerky and have words of wisdom?

I was thinking about getting a dehydrator but most of the reviews I read online are 5 stars or 1 star for the same product.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

dofrenzy

« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2021, 06:27:58 PM »
My wife has a whole barrel full of emergency stuff.  Being able to make clean water is pretty high on the list of survival preparedness I believe.

The best way I know to be prepared is to watch movies like Mad Max, Book of Eli, and Six-string Samurai.  Everything you need to know about dystopian society is in the movies.  It’s like when you watch Kung Fu movies and are good at Kung Fu for a while.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2021, 05:16:38 AM »
I live near a river and there are lots of deer nearby. The deer are so accustomed to people that I'm often pissing in my backyard with one watching me 10 feet away.

I specialize in non-lethal and close combat with a healthy collection of knives sharpened and scattered all over my house. I'm good at appearing harmless until I'm not.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2021, 05:55:26 AM »
I learned pretty recently that a large contingent of Mormons are preppers. Probably influenced by an evangelical fear of the end of the world, but interesting none the less. I used to skate with this Mormon kid growing up and he had the most stacked pantry ever, because low key his parents were hoarding for the apocalypse.

I’ve got some shit prepped, basically go bags for the family and extraction plans coordinated with close friends, but it’s more so because of visiting with my family that had been in the Holocaust. Growing up, I would go to my great uncles house (z”l) and he had food and supplies hoarded everywhere. I remember asking him why, he said because he never wanted to be hungry or ill prepared again. He lived in fear for the rest of his life and it transferred over to all of us to one degree or another.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2021, 07:49:48 AM »
Well, fires are popping up here and there, mostly small vegetation and structure fires, but those can spread and bam! SOL. Im not out in the hills anymore, so the likelihood of wildfires burning our home is less than in other places, but the smoke last year was the worst I've encountered on the north coast. In preparation all we can really so is make sure the Subaru is running well/reliably, paper things/documents/currency ready to go, few days food/water, and make sure highly combustible stuff is away from the main house. Its also a Tsunami zone, so knowing the local geography and how/where to go up mountain is pretty crucial too. We had a longstanding end times plan on a friends property way out in the country, but I'm not sire what's left after the last fires hit. Regardless, I'm endlessly grateful for the time I've spent forest dwelling and being broke. If it goes down, the best scavengers who can get away from the population centers will make out in the end.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2021, 07:50:10 AM »
Pug, i wish i could help you on the jerky and the dehydrator--i've been a vegetarian for about 30 years (which i know is a luxury), but i was interested in dehydrators myself...still a lot i could do with them and i would dig some suggestions anyone has also.

since this thread got bumped, i'll mention two different investments i've been considering lately, to see if anyone has any experience with either, one kind of expensive, one not so expensive, but both with long-ass shelf-lives, which is important.

first, i've been researching and seriously consider investing in legit gas-masks for me and mine, and MIRA seems to be universally regarded as the best. but they do get expensive, especially when you start talking about even a modest stock of back-up filters, but the filters do have a 20-year shelf-life:

https://www.mirasafety.com/collections/frontpage/products/cm-6m-tactical-gas-mask?variant=32275152535603

https://www.mirasafety.com/collections/frontpage/products/cbrn-40mm-gas-mask-filter-nbc-77-sof

obviously one hopes they would never need to use these, but the applications are pretty broad--i do live within 20 to 30 miles of a nuclear power plant, which has always seemed sketchy as hell to me.

the other thing i've been considering, is at least a modest stock of MREs (vegetarian of course), which also have pretty incredible stock-lives. here's one i was looking at although it's out of stock right now:

https://theepicenter.com/mre-star-meal-case-vegetarian-menu.html

by the way, coming back to the ammo conversation above, supplies seem to be edging back towards being stable, but prices are still pretty crazy. a couple of old friends and i who i go to ranges with pretty consistently have been going in on these 1000-count loose-packs of 9mm CCI Blazer brass (115 grain) from Natchez together, which has been consistently .55 cents a round, and just went up recently. still, some of the best fmj 9mm ammo i've shot and about as reasonably priced as any lately:

https://www.natchezss.com/cci-blazer-brass-handgun-ammunition-9mm-luger-115-gr-fmj-1145-fps-1000-ct-loose-pack.html

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2021, 08:59:38 AM »
Pug, i wish i could help you on the jerky and the dehydrator--i've been a vegetarian for about 30 years (which i know is a luxury), but i was interested in dehydrators myself...still a lot i could do with them and i would dig some suggestions anyone has also.

since this thread got bumped, i'll mention two different investments i've been considering lately, to see if anyone has any experience with either, one kind of expensive, one not so expensive, but both with long-ass shelf-lives, which is important.

first, i've been researching and seriously consider investing in legit gas-masks for me and mine, and MIRA seems to be universally regarded as the best. but they do get expensive, especially when you start talking about even a modest stock of back-up filters, but the filters do have a 20-year shelf-life:

https://www.mirasafety.com/collections/frontpage/products/cm-6m-tactical-gas-mask?variant=32275152535603

https://www.mirasafety.com/collections/frontpage/products/cbrn-40mm-gas-mask-filter-nbc-77-sof

obviously one hopes they would never need to use these, but the applications are pretty broad--i do live within 20 to 30 miles of a nuclear power plant, which has always seemed sketchy as hell to me.

the other thing i've been considering, is at least a modest stock of MREs (vegetarian of course), which also have pretty incredible stock-lives. here's one i was looking at although it's out of stock right now:

https://theepicenter.com/mre-star-meal-case-vegetarian-menu.html

by the way, coming back to the ammo conversation above, supplies seem to be edging back towards being stable, but prices are still pretty crazy. a couple of old friends and i who i go to ranges with pretty consistently have been going in on these 1000-count loose-packs of 9mm CCI Blazer brass (115 grain) from Natchez together, which has been consistently .55 cents a round, and just went up recently. still, some of the best fmj 9mm ammo i've shot and about as reasonably priced as any lately:

https://www.natchezss.com/cci-blazer-brass-handgun-ammunition-9mm-luger-115-gr-fmj-1145-fps-1000-ct-loose-pack.html

There's ammo around again but people are paying crazy prices. The ammo makers aren't going to lower any time soon either. Its mostly a pandemic based price gouging, speculative, capitalist free for all. I'm glad to have been able to source ample ammo between 18-30cpr. I hear tell of 50rd 9mm going for upwards of $40-50. That's crazy shit. .55cpr is $5+ to play with a 10rd mag. Even at 30cpr its too much. Grateful for my p22s and old ass 22lr bricks for plinking around.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2021, 05:49:29 PM »
Does anyone make their own beef jerky and have words of wisdom?

I was thinking about getting a dehydrator but most of the reviews I read online are 5 stars or 1 star for the same product.
I’ve made my own jerky for quite a while with one of the Nesco 4 tray round dehydrators that run about $60 new and they work great. I buy a cheap cut of steak, tenderize it a bit and marinate it in some teriyaki or something for a day or so, maybe a dry rub. It’s a bit of a process and requires some patience, trial and error, etc.. but if you find a good process and seasonings with flavors that come through, you’ll end up with jerky you’ll like better than the Name brand store bought stuff out there and it ends up costing way less. 

Get hungry on it!

Eggie Vedder

• Rep: 32
« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2021, 08:24:33 AM »
I understand prepping for a natural disaster if you live in tornado alley or some other area that is prone to wildfire, hurricane, earthquake, etc. but genuine question: what do other preppers think is going to happen? Like is it a Zombie Apocalypse or WWIII? Even if the internet goes out, it would be disorienting but I don’t think people would go out in the streets and start killing each other. Societal norms don’t break down that easily. Likely people would be compelled to work together if shit hit the fan because evolution has really drilled social interaction into our brains. I can’t think of a logical situation that would get society to a point where people are going every man for himself. It’s just so outside of our nature.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2021, 10:00:41 AM »
I understand prepping for a natural disaster if you live in tornado alley or some other area that is prone to wildfire, hurricane, earthquake, etc. but genuine question: what do other preppers think is going to happen? Like is it a Zombie Apocalypse or WWIII? Even if the internet goes out, it would be disorienting but I don’t think people would go out in the streets and start killing each other. Societal norms don’t break down that easily. Likely people would be compelled to work together if shit hit the fan because evolution has really drilled social interaction into our brains. I can’t think of a logical situation that would get society to a point where people are going every man for himself. It’s just so outside of our nature.

i really don't want to be a dick here, but your comment just radiates myopic privilege and although it's subtle, your smugness leaves a bad taste...but at least you're being "logical" bruh...the rest of us can only hope and aspire to be so logical.

first, are you going to try to act like the vast and varied social, economic, and geographic landscape of the US is some kind of monolithic thing that can be defined by and adheres to a single set of "Societal norms," and that even if one was to humor you in this, that these norms  would "break down" in some uniform way in urban centers, versus inner-ring suburbs, versus affluent suburbs/exurbs, versus rural areas? which isn't even to get into the specifics of the wide variety of potential "disasters" that have occurred and could occur again.

so, in your life, you've never experienced desperate people on the street "going every man for himself"? must be nice.

finally, are you suggesting that some of us at least aspiring to be modestly prepared for completely feasible "disasters," somehow equates to us operating in a every-human-for-themself way? when/if things get bad in a certain place, won't people need resources in the first place, to share with others?